• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

"Guys - I have seen comments about us "ignoring" the Switch for other "more profitable consoles". This is simply not true. First of all, the Switch is still selling on par with the other consoles without the multiplayer. Second, we have shown that we are dedicated to free updates that really don't impact the game's profitability on any console. And third, the issues with the Switch are almost exclusively related to the fact that we released it early on the platform with technology that wasn't entirely ready for cross-platform games. We fully hoped that the Switch patch would be released, but it goes through a thorough vetting process and we haven't gotten the go-ahead quite yet."

Then someone understandably asked about future Switch updates having this shitty problem and

"Adrian - trust me when I tell you I want it out more than you do. When Nintendo approves it, it will be released. Future patches will need to be handled differently on Nintendo actually than on the other platforms though and we are designing a new system to bring it up to parity."

F34R

I, for now, give them a pass in regards to the update. I'm patient. If it gets released, then all is good. If by some chance it were to be ignored, then I wouldn't do business with them again.

Oregano

"Guys - I have seen comments about us "ignoring" the Switch for other "more profitable consoles". This is simply not true. First of all, the Switch is still selling on par with the other consoles without the multiplayer. Second, we have shown that we are dedicated to free updates that really don't impact the game's profitability on any console. And third, the issues with the Switch are almost exclusively related to the fact that we released it early on the platform with technology that wasn't entirely ready for cross-platform games. We fully hoped that the Switch patch would be released, but it goes through a thorough vetting process and we haven't gotten the go-ahead quite yet."

Then someone understandably asked about future Switch updates having this shitty problem and

"Adrian - trust me when I tell you I want it out more than you do. When Nintendo approves it, it will be released. Future patches will need to be handled differently on Nintendo actually than on the other platforms though and we are designing a new system to bring it up to parity."

That's not too surprising. Nintendo did a top eShop games of May thing on the Switch News Section and this was in third place(this is the UK/Europe btw).

Got some decent replay value by playing the new tournaments but man, if you just shoot the three and avoid the bullshit the AI pulls off, it's a breeze. Kenny Smith & John Stockton dream team. Outside of those tourneys, I don't play this game much.

I hope they keep adding tournaments through the year.

Kakaroach

Hey guys, I just got a PS4 and I am looking to buy some games. This game looks like more fun than 2k and I was wondering how the game plays for most of you? Big online community so not waiting a while to play games?

Cookie18

Pretty much... I'm not particularly confident that they will keep good on it.

They can't really afford not to, it will come to the Switch. The question is how much longer. At this point they are losing all the goodwill from the Shaq Fu announcement a few weeks ago. There's no way the Switch won't get patched but it could be too late.

bumpkin

They can't really afford not to, it will come to the Switch. The question is how much longer. At this point they are losing all the goodwill from the Shaq Fu announcement a few weeks ago. There's no way the Switch won't get patched but it could be too late.
I meant keep good on it coming when they say it will. It was "a few days", then it was "next week" and now it's allegedly "this week." I wouldn't be as annoyed - I work in software, I know shit happens - but we're at over a month after the game came out and Switch owners are without an advertised feature. It's bullshit, honestly.

jmizzal

I dont know who fault it was, Nintendo or Saber, but the Online patch should have been pushed through fast, and then we could just be waiting on the other patch.

Wasp14

Even with Shaq-Fu their wording doesn't sound concrete. They're still trying to figure out how they'll even be able to give the free game out. After all of the delays, broken promises etc with a simple patch I don't really have any faith in them.

Having said that, I actually do really enjoy this game and have put about 25 hours into it. Even though the load times are bad I have fun playing exhibition rounds and levelling up to unlock new players. I finished all of the tournaments awhile ago (some of them were insanely difficult) and consistently win by 15-20 points on expert in 3 minute exhibition rounds.

I just want the patch since I always have to turn off rumble and avoid playing in handheld due to the resolution. New tournaments, players and venues are all nice extras but getting those and online should've been done way sooner.

This whole thing has been a hot mess for Switch owners plain and simple. I wish the patch we're all waiting for delivered online, shot meter and the updated roster all at once. 🙁

bumpkin

This whole thing has been a hot mess for Switch owners plain and simple. I wish the patch we're all waiting for delivered online, shot meter and the updated roster all at once. 🙁
They've said the Switch patch will have everything the other versions have gotten so far.

deadfolk

Well in fairness, didn't they hint at this? Like they were waiting for something from Nintendo, but weren't allowed to say what.

Hegarol

If you don't mind sharing, how many hours did it take you to reach level 50? I'm currently at 25 and I've put in about 25 hours.
"20 hours or more", about 450 games played (including tournaments).

The fastest way to level up is playing exhibition mode with a win score of 10. I can do about one game per minute that way.

Kakaroach

Looks like most people have this for switch and not PS4? Anyone on PS4 that can talk about online play? Is it active or really small player base?

WTF still nothing! Ill never fucking buy another game from these people. Ill take your free Shaq Fu and say goodbye to Saber Interactive. Unless its free ill never give you a dime. I got a game on my Switch taking up almost 8GB on my internal memory just collecting dust cause its just unplayable in its current form. Ive never been so upset with a game in my life.

bumpkin

Every time I see this thread bumped, I get excited that maybe the Switch patch just dropped.

I apologize to anyone who watches the thread with the same notion. :(

Hegarol

WTF still nothing! Ill never fucking buy another game from these people. Ill take your free Shaq Fu and say goodbye to Saber Interactive. Unless its free ill never give you a dime. I got a game on my Switch taking up almost 8GB on my internal memory just collecting dust cause its just unplayable in its current form. Ive never been so upset with a game in my life.
Its not unplayable. I have put 25 hours in and had lots of fun.

I assume they needed to wait for Version 3.0. Lets hope the patch is released this week.

Sh0k

I wouldn't say that the game is unplayable, I've played the game for more than 20 hours and I have unlocked every single player. I do wish that the patch is out already mostly to play online and to get more players and new tournaments, as it is right now, there is no incentive to go back to the game.

I wouldn't say that the game is unplayable, I've played the game for more than 20 hours and I have unlocked every single player. I do wish that the patch is out already mostly to play online and to get more players and new tournaments, as it is right now, there is no incentive to go back to the game.

You have to use cheap tactics and just shoot 3 pointers to win. Its not fun so to me its unplayable. There still no online play!

F34R

So, finally just starting out on this game, even having for a month lol..

Who is the best starting pair to use? I'm on the Switch..

Here is who I have right now:

Dwight Howard - Atlanta Hawks
Danny Ainge - Boston Celtics
Brook Lopez - Nets
Dell Cury - Hornets
Dwayne Wade - Chicago Bulls
Emmanuel Mudiay - Denver Nuggets
Mason Plumlee - Denver Nuggets
Al Jefferson - Pacers
Monta Ellis - Pacers
DeAndre Jordan - Clippers
Jamal Crawford - Clippers
Chris Bosh - Miami Heat
Tim Hardaway - Miami Heat
Andrew Wiggins - Timberwolves
Willis Reed - Knicks
Aaron Gordon - Orlando Magic
Nikola Vucevic - Orlando Magic
Evan Turner - Portland Trailblazers
Tyreka Evans - Sacramento Kings
David Robinson - Spurs
JonesValanciunas - Toronto Rapters
Gordon Hayward - Utah Jazz

Glix

Well considering the other UE4 game (Snake Pass) just got its long promised time trial patch, lets hope NBA is about to drop.

If you remember, official and complete UE4 support for switch was announced AFTER those two titles came out, so maybe EPIC made some changes to UE4 on Switch, and it needed 3.0 etc etc.

jmizzal

Well considering the other UE4 game (Snake Pass) just got its long promised time trial patch, lets hope NBA is about to drop.

If you remember, official and complete UE4 support for switch was announced AFTER those two titles came out, so maybe EPIC made some changes to UE4 on Switch, and it needed 3.0 etc etc.

This is a good point, Snake Pass just got its patch today, so no more excuses for Playgrounds, if they dont patch it this week, they are def incompetent.

modsbox

So, finally just starting out on this game, even having for a month lol..

Who is the best starting pair to use? I'm on the Switch..

Here is who I have right now:

Dwight Howard - Atlanta Hawks
Danny Ainge - Boston Celtics
Brook Lopez - Nets
Dell Cury - Hornets
Dwayne Wade - Chicago Bulls
Emmanuel Mudiay - Denver Nuggets
Mason Plumlee - Denver Nuggets
Al Jefferson - Pacers
Monta Ellis - Pacers
DeAndre Jordan - Clippers
Jamal Crawford - Clippers
Chris Bosh - Miami Heat
Tim Hardaway - Miami Heat
Andrew Wiggins - Timberwolves
Willis Reed - Knicks
Aaron Gordon - Orlando Magic
Nikola Vucevic - Orlando Magic
Evan Turner - Portland Trailblazers
Tyreka Evans - Sacramento Kings
David Robinson - Spurs
JonesValanciunas - Toronto Rapters
Gordon Hayward - Utah Jazz

Of these def. David Robinson + Ainge. Shoot 3s every trip with Ainge, then switch to Robinson and go for blocks on D.

F34R

Of these def. David Robinson + Ainge. Shoot 3s every trip with Ainge, then switch to Robinson and go for blocks on D.

Thank you. Apparently I started a tournament when I first got the game.. so I'm sitting on Dwayne Wade and Mason Plumlee.

How do I change who I'm using?

At first I thought some of the earlier tournaments were difficult and now I've been stuck on the final match of the Paris one for well over a week now. I have some of the legend cards unlocked like Lebron James and James Harden along with some epic cards for good defensive players like Anthony Davis and Jason Kidd and I'm still getting blown out every game. It seems every time I can execute a steal or swat it away they just get the ball right back. Anyone have tips for getting past this round? Still hoping for that switch update..

So glad I got this for Steam instead of the Switch back when I was on the fence.

The new tourneys seemed super easy. AI wasn't nearly as cheap as I remembered in the Las Vegas tourney. The challenges on the other hand...not going to bother.

My last few packs didn't have many duplicates so that was nice. It's weird how they have different versions of players with barely different stats. Harden on OKC and Houston for example only had like 1 or 2 points of difference.

Youtubers were a lame addition. Even more lame is that they seem to be favored when you select random players. Almost always seem to get at least one Youtuber on random.

Wish you could replay the tourneys for packs or at least better xp. Grinding exhibition games is so boring.

Also would be nice to have a straight up match without the bonus points and powerups.

Forwards like Lebron and Durant are still pretty underwhelming. Can't shoot 3s as well as guards and can't block/rebound as well as centers.

The shot meter is kind of frustrating too. It says on the loading screen that getting it right in the middle of the green zone for a 9 rated shooter should result in 85% accuracy, but there were several tourney games I played where Curry (10 rated) would shoot closer to 50% when I was always in the middle of the green zone. That and the fact that 3s give no meter now was a bit too much of a nerf I think, but I guess it's more realistic and should cut down on spamming 3s.

Probably done with the game for now until they do another update.

Top Bottom