• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Yikes. I've been following this thread since release since I was really interested in picking up the Switch version initially. But the "few days" after launch thing sounded suspicious so I held off. Looks like I made the right call considering it still hasn't been patched, but it's pretty shitty for those who took the plunge.

NateDrake

It's Thursday... :(

Also, shit...

From the Facebook Community page. FML.

Each week there is a new reason for why it didn't release. Other games are getting patched, yet this one title can't seem to get it done. Maybe blame is on the process Nintendo uses. Or the devs are lying about things. We'll never know.

EDarkness

Each week there is a new reason for why it didn't release. Other games are getting patched, yet this one title can't seem to get it done. Maybe blame is on the process Nintendo uses. Or the devs are lying about things. We'll never know.

With other games getting patched, I'm putting the blame on them. If other games were having the same problem, then I could see where they're coming from, but other companies have gotten their patches out fairly fast so far. There's something messed up with how they're doing things.

jmizzal

Yeah this Switch situation is hilarious. I still have lots to play so not in a hurry but this is inexcusable.

Right now I dont have much to play, but June 30th will be Zelda DLC and Marvel Heroes on Xbox one and then July is Splatoon 2 and then its a steady flow of games til the end of the year for me.

I just sold 2K17, but by the time we get the patch 2K18 will be out and I just wont care about this game

Right now I dont have much to play, but June 30th will be Zelda DLC and Marvel Heroes on Xbox one and then July is Splatoon are that is a steady flow of games for me.

I just sold 2K17, but by the time we get the patch 2K18 will be out and I just wont care about this game
I got this mainly for local multi but you have to grind those unlocks. Need my Stockalone.

arimanius

Do we know what the patch is beyond online? It would be funny if this was only the first patch and not a combination of all the patches they have released for the other systems.

The "can't talk about it publicly" bit is hilarious.

Developer's list of things they can do publicly:
- promise patches will be released at particular times

Developer's list of things they cannot do publicly:
- explain failures to keep those promises

fernoca

Do we know what the patch is beyond online? It would be funny if this was only the first patch and not a combination of all the patches they have released for the other systems.
Well, it won't be a combination, but not just online.

I assumed at first that the issue lied on this patch reducing the size of the game as they said.

They later said that a problem they had is that the size of the patch was too big and Nintendo had some limits about patch sizes and they had to get waivers/approvals.

Seems the patch is basically the entire game, with the updates and fixes up to that point (upped resolution, online, HD rumble fix).

And they even mentioned having to re-submit the patch more than once, which seems to imply that there were issues and other problems.

It kinda goes with the other assumption that the patch was originally going to just add online, but the Switch version ended selling considerably better than everyone thought, so they started rolling other updates into it and assumed things would just work.

Lets not forget also that only PS4 and PC has been getting updates on time. Xbox One has been getting updates later, so it could also be an issue with resources. Combined with other issues that usually appear during development.

I'd decided to give them until the end of the week to get the patch out or explain the issues they've been struggling with. At this point, though, it's just been too long. With no patch and not even the courtesy of an explanation, I'm done.

According to Reddit users, Nintendo's giving refunds if you call in and explain. I'm going to do that this evening or tomorrow. I'm just not willing to wait longer. I'll take the money and put it toward Thumper, which I know is excellent.

This'll be the last time I support the developer on Switch, unless/until something major occurs that would change my mind. This many weeks without an explanation is ludicrous.

arimanius

I'd decided to give them until the end of the week to get the patch out or explain the issues they've been struggling with. At this point, though, it's just been too long. With no patch and not even the courtesy of an explanation, I'm done.

According to Reddit users, Nintendo's giving refunds if you call in and explain. I'm going to do that this evening or tomorrow. I'm just not willing to wait longer. I'll take the money and put it toward Thumper, which I know is excellent.

This'll be the last time I support the developer on Switch, unless/until something major occurs that would change my mind. This many weeks without an explanation is ludicrous.

Good luck. I tried earlier in the month and got told no.

No. This dev doesn't get to play the victim card in this bullshit. Other games have been getting patches, and had online working on their launch day.

This was a cash grab followed by lies.

Liars. We're getting close to No Man's Sky dev bullshit here.

jpv_13

Neo Member
If Online approvals are the part that is holding things back then I wish they would just be transparent that its an issue at this point but keep online disabled and give us the rest of the updates.

For me personally the game is still good even without online.

I would much rather at least have the improvements to the undocked resolution, more tournaments, and more players than having the patch continually delayed due to issues with the online play.

bumpkin

I've had plenty of fun with the game since launch, I just want all the features and content the other platforms have and have been getting. We know there isn't anything mystical about getting a patch through on Switch. Sumo's done it with Snake Pass several times including just yesterday, and that's also a game running on UE4.

I'm trying to avoid the mentality of "Fuck this dev!" because I work as a (App) developer and we've had to release updates to fix issues. It can be frustrating. I just don't know what to think when it's broken promise after broken promise. With such open dialogue with their users, they're damned if they say nothing, but also damned if they say something. I don't envy them, but hope/wish they would get it out.

derFeef

I've had plenty of fun with the game since launch, I just want all the features and content the other platforms have and have been getting. We know there isn't anything mystical about getting a patch through on Switch. Sumo's done it with Snake Pass several times including just yesterday, and that's also a game running on UE4.

I'm trying to avoid the mentality of "Fuck this dev!" because I work as a (App) developer and we've had to release updates to fix issues. It can be frustrating. I just don't know what to think when it's broken promise after broken promise. With such open dialogue with their users, they're damned if they say nothing, but also damned if they say something. I don't envy them, but hope/wish they would get it out.

Same situation, it's puzzling really. I am am actually getting angrier with every broken promise and backpedalling (and I am used to it, I played a lot of MMO's back then). But this is beginning to get outright silly.

They put themselves in this situation, no one else. The lies can only get you so far. Sooner or later, they'll catch up with you.

EDarkness

They should have never released the NS version without online play. If it was only a "few days" away, they could held the game back until they got it in. What was a few days? Instead they forced the wait on the players instead of trying to give players a complete game initially. They're paying the price for that decision now.

NateDrake

Online aside, in 2 months they haven't released a single patch for the game on Switch. Do they need the online patch that, apparently, rewrites the entire game code to be out first?

Fair enough, but when you say "the online will release a few days after launch" and then it's well over a month with excuse after excuse, it's just a bad look for this dev, no way around that.

fernoca

Online aside, in 2 months they haven't released a single patch for the game on Switch. Do they need the online patch that, apparently, rewrites the entire game code to be out first?
If they huge patch is version 2.0 and any updates later were done on said version, they can't just revert or pick whatever was added to release at will.

They would need to rework any update on an older version.

SummitAve

Banned
I've been waiting for a single patch before I buy the game, but I think I'm just going to go back to crossing my fingers for a new NBA Jam. The post release support for this is just too weak. It's literally how you kill a game and waste a bunch of hard work.

NateDrake

If they huge patch is version 2.0 and any updates later were done on said version, they can't just revert or pick whatever was added to release at will.

They would need to rework any update on an older version.

Makes sense. My gut feeling is they are trying to cram too much stuff into one patch and things aren't working, then they resubmit, something else broke, and the cycle never ends.

Wasp14

They can't release a patch. I'd be fucking astonished if they had a way to reliably deliver Shaq Fu to everyone who purchased by a particular date. We should trust them 0%.

I don’t believe anything they say anymore, and I agree that it’s doubtful we’ll even receive Shaq-Fu. It’s absolutely absurd at this point that they can’t get a simple patch out.

I don’t believe anything they say anymore, and I agree that it’s doubtful we’ll even receive Shaq-Fu. It’s absolutely absurd at this point that they can’t get a simple patch out.
It's understandable that you don't believe anything they say anymore but it's not doubtful we'll get Shaq Fu for free.
That would be more of a blatant lie from them if they didn't give us that and hurt the company's credibility more than the patch that's forever in limbo.
Calling the patch "simple"too is a clear sign you aren't a developer.
I'm pissed with both Saber and Nintendo though.

Cepheus

This is a real shame. I've had this game on the Switch since it first came out and while I think parts of it make it look like shovelware (UI, ugly character models, glitches etc) it's still an OK game to play with friends. I knew about the online situation but I had no idea the other versions were getting updates while the Switch version got nothing. I really hope that patch comes out soon.

bumpkin

Just give me NBA Jam instead.
I've been saying EA should port OFE to the Switch since it launched. We know it can run on the Switch, they ported the game to Nvidia Shield. I'd buy that shit so fast if they put it out.

So have the liars that made this game said we should wait another week for their next lie?
Nope. I haven't played the game in weeks. I've had all of the tournaments finished for a while, and I'm sick of grinding for players I don't know/recognize. The PS4/XB1/PC versions have been patched and had a ton of players added that I do know (old school guys), along with some new playgrounds and tournaments. Until I get those, I have almost no incentive to play the game any further.

Sh0k

I just called Nintendo and they offered me a one time refund for the game. They got some information down and it will take 24-48 hours to get the money back into my eShop account. I just realized that I've been playing the game by myself trying to unlock each character waiting patiently for the patch and basically that's not fun anymore. Finished all the tournaments and some of the challenges. If the patch is released one day, I will check the comments and see if it is worth it to get the game back.

Wasp14

It's understandable that you don't believe anything they say anymore but it's not doubtful we'll get Shaq Fu for free.
That would be more of a blatant lie from them if they didn't give us that and hurt the company's credibility more than the patch that's forever in limbo.
Calling the patch "simple"too is a clear sign you aren't a developer.
I'm pissed with both Saber and Nintendo though.

The CEO of Saber himself said it was a “simple patch” which is why I called it that. He had a not so great update. I’m finally going to call and get a refund today.

Quotes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...eveloper_spoiler_not/?st=J49ZYK02&sh=1117da82

Karish

Knowing game dev and platform nonsense, I feel for these guys. I highly doubt this is actually their fault. If at all it's probably that they were over ambitious with patching a game on a new console

bumpkin

The CEO of Saber himself said it was a “simple patch” which is why I called it that. He had a not so great update. I’m finally going to call and get a refund today.

Quotes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...eveloper_spoiler_not/?st=J49ZYK02&sh=1117da82
Interesting. I'm curious what else, other than a file size reduction, is outside of their normal update rules and regulations. I wonder if they have stuff in there surrounding online play that Nintendo is throwing up red flags for. We know that they're borderline militants when it comes to online safety for kids and such.

Knowing game dev and platform nonsense, I feel for these guys. I highly doubt this is actually their fault. If at all it's probably that they were over ambitious with patching a game on a new console
That's what I'm thinking. Keep it simple and get more ambitious as you learn the ropes.

Interesting. I'm curious what else, other than a file size reduction, is outside of their normal update rules and regulations. I wonder if they have stuff in there surrounding online play that Nintendo is throwing up red flags for. We know that they're borderline militants when it comes to online safety for kids and such.

That's what I'm thinking. Keep it simple and get more ambitious as you learn the ropes.

Who knows, but they (and possibly Nintendo as well) have completely mis managed this situation. ATM I would have to put most of the blame on them since numerous other games have gotten patches out in a timely manner.

I just called Nintendo and they offered me a one time refund for the game. They got some information down and it will take 24-48 hours to get the money back into my eShop account. I just realized that I've been playing the game by myself trying to unlock each character waiting patiently for the patch and basically that's not fun anymore. Finished all the tournaments and some of the challenges. If the patch is released one day, I will check the comments and see if it is worth it to get the game back.

What number did you call? What information did you have to give? I'm beyond frustrated.

Top Bottom