• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF March 8th/11th Caucus Thread (Wyoming + Mississippi = OBAMATON)

Status
Not open for further replies.
siamesedreamer said:
Batesville, MS weighs in:

Hil_MS.jpg

owned687.gif

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
ari said:
Just to make it clear again, i'm a mccain supporter, and i already dipped into why i called you guys
cocksuckers
. It was simply to bait you guys in. I apologize again for that tactic. Sorry.

Ok. You say you want a debate. Articulate for us why you believe McCain is the best candidate for this country right now, and what excites you about his platform.

Its clear that most here believe he's the last thing this country needs right now. But it would be interesting to know why you believe that his policies are the right choice now, after all this country has been through in the last 7 years under the republican ideology and foreign policy.

And I fail to see your whining about the Hillary bashing if you're not even planning to vote Democrat.

maynerd

Banned
So does anyone think that MI and FL should have their delegates count? Should there be a revote? Who should pay for it?

I heard the gov of FL bitching about it on Hardball today and I couldn't help but think WTF!? This guy was on there saying how important it was to count those votes and how people need to be heard etc... standard stuff. I got a question, if it was so important, why didn't they bitch before the vote occurred? They knew about it.

Pretty freakin lame.

maynerd said:
So does anyone think that MI and FL should have their delegates count? Should there be a revote? Who should pay for it?

I heard the gov of FL bitching about it on Hardball today and I couldn't help but think WTF!? This guy was on there saying how important it was to count those votes and how people need to be heard etc... standard stuff. I got a question, if it was so important, why didn't they bitch before the vote occurred? They knew about it.

Pretty freakin lame.
If there's a re-vote...no matter what kind of re-vote...she can't gain enough delegates to really help her. She won't get land-slides in either state and could very well lose Michigan...so them being up for voting again only hurts her.

No doubt about it...she wanted those delegates seated as-is. any other scenario means very small gains in the end.

maynerd

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
damn Susan Rice finally made a mistake

6 minutes in

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/23510720#23511716

They didn't really show the rest of her thought.

Ms. Rice: He hasn’t and he hasn’t claimed that he’s been in a position to have to answer the phone at 3 o’clock in the morning in a crisis situation. That’s the difference between the two of them. Hillary Clinton hasn’t had to answer the phone at 3 o’clock in the morning. And yet she attacked Barack Obama for not being ready. They’re both not ready to have that 3:00 a.m. phone call.

The question is and what Barack Obama raised is, when that phone call is received for each of them for the first time, who’s going to make the right judgment? Who is going to make the right decision?

On the critical foreign policy issues of the day, whether it was a decision to go to war in Iraq or the decision to give President Bush the benefit of the doubt and beat the drums of war with Iran, Hillary Clinton has made the same wrong judgment as John McCain and George W. Bush. Barack Obama has made a very different judgment.

So neither one of them, and nor John McCain for that matter, have had that 3 o’clock phone call that others have had. And I think we have to be honest about that.

Azrael

I guess I'm crazy, but I'll feel safer with a Commander in Chief that will open diplomatic relations with Iran and not demonize them because they're too cowardly to stand up to the Zionists in even the smallest way (that's what this issue is really about -- we talked to Mao and talk to Kim Jong-Il, but heaven forbid we talk to Ahmadinejad). I'll feel safer with a Commander in Chief that won't authorize a war on what he knows are false pretenses because, ironically, he's too much of a coward to appear weak and thinks no one will care when the WMDs aren't found, because the war will be over in weeks and Iraq will be a pro-American democracy in six months anyway.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
WTF? Someone just sent me an e-mail with the following text:

obama and hes wife are from the forest in africa this people cant not runs and such of a resposibility country like united states of america we need definitely hillary for so many issues to handle and obama is not the man for the job and i hope people dont take me the wrong way by thiniking the i am a racist

woeds

I really can't believe the whole 'rather McCain than Obama' strategy Hillary is using. She's running this election like it's the General Election instead of the Democratic Party one.

AniHawk

woeds said:
I really can't believe the whole 'rather McCain than Obama' strategy Hillary is using. She's running this election like it's the General Election instead of the Democratic Party one.

Well, this is probably her last shot to become president, and with the chances looking slimmer and slimmer, she's going to get very, very nasty.

woeds

AniHawk said:
Well, this is probably her last shot to become president, and with the chances looking slimmer and slimmer, she's going to get very, very nasty.
That much is obvious. So every time she talks about uniting the country and the party I want to reach into my TV and slap her. Hillary cares about Hillary becoming president, that's about it.

AniHawk

woeds said:
That much is obvious. So every time she talks about uniting the country and the party I want to reach into my TV and slap her. Hillary cares about Hillary becoming president, that's about it.

Keith Olbermann mentioned it on his show. Basically he asked how the experience thing would play up in the general. What's her experience? Being married to the president for 8 years? Shit, Laura Bush could be the next president. Or maybe it's experience in the Senate? Because McCain's got about 14 years on her. It's something she'd get creamed on in the general election, and she makes it sound like she's on even footing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AniHawk said:
Keith Olbermann mentioned it on his show. Basically he asked how the experience thing would play up in the general. What's her experience? Being married to the president for 8 years? Shit, Laura Bush could be the next president. Or maybe it's experience in the Senate? Because McCain's got about 14 years on her. It's something she'd get creamed on in the general election, and she makes it sound like she's on even footing.

Which is what McCain is already doing. After her McCain > Obama comment, McCain shot back that neither of them had experience compared to him. And then Obama fired back that Hillary and McCain were both failures with Iraq. Every possible comparision is going on right now except for Obama - McCain, which ironically will probably be the general election candidates

HylianTom

Banned
Slurpy said:
Its clear that most here believe he [McCain] the last thing this country needs right now.

Not quite. I see plenty of people on both sides threatening to stay home if they don't get their way, which tells me that they don't understand or believe the potential impact of what would essentially be a 3rd Bush term.

Either that, or they do think he's the last thing this country needs, but they're still willing to knowingly fuck the country over if they don't get their candidate in the general. Which is twisted and sick in its own way.

itsgreen

HylianTom said:
Not quite. I see plenty of people on both sides threatening to stay home if they don't get their way, which tells me that they don't understand or believe the potential impact of what would essentially be a 3rd Bush term.

Either that, or they do think he's the last thing this country needs, but they're still willing to knowingly fuck the country over if they don't get their candidate in the general. Which is twisted and sick in its own way.

I am no American, but a McCain presidency is better than a Bush one.

Cheebs

A Michigan caucus isn't the same thing as a regular caucus.

You go in and vote on a paper ballot in private still. No head counting and so forth. The only difference between a primary is that it's run by the party, not the state so your voting location is determined by the Democratic Party not the regular polling place you go for public elections. That's it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Puerto Rico's Democrats tonight voted to ditch their June 7 caucus, and to replace it with a June 1 primary. The only reporting on it I've seen so far is in Spanish:

Anoche el Comité Ejecutivo del Partido Demócrata de Puerto Rico aprobó por unanimidad una modificación al plan de selección de delegados para convertirlo en una primaria abierta a celebrarse el 1 de junio.

A first, late evening thought is that that's good news for Clinton.

It also makes the Montana and South Dakota primaries June 3 the last contests, but leaves the rest of June open for Florida and Michigan.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/Puerto_Rico_moves.html

AniHawk

Cheebs said:
A Michigan caucus isn't the same thing as a regular caucus.

You go in and vote on a paper ballot in private still. No head counting and so forth. The only difference between a primary is that it's run by the party, not the state so your voting location is determined by the Democratic Party not the regular polling place you go for public elections. That's it.

But it's still a positive thing for Obama, isn't it?

That's right Puerto Rico, let's not complicate the issue more than it already is. 0_0

After the Florida and Michigan debacle, good luck with that.

I don't mind the press calling people out for faux pas/gaffes, etc. but this misrepresentation is getting out of hand. If you're going to call people on something, call them on unedited versions of their message and don't call them on something when they complete the thought in the very next sentence. MSNBC is getting into this big time. Saw it on Dan Abrams show last night about the Susan Rice comments.

Kudos to Keith for at least airing the unedited versions of comments and calling people/networks out for misrepresenting or cherrypicking what makes a good sound bite.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:

Obama will win Michigan even if its a full fledged primary.

mosaic

go eat paint
AniHawk said:
Any redo in MI is a positive for Obama. With the way the east side and the west side of the state play out demographically, neither he nor Hillary really have a huge advantage or disadvantage here. In the primary, 40% of people voted Uncomitted (e.g. not Hillary) when no other big names were on the ballot. My best guess of a redo here would be a near-50/50 split, more like 52/48 for somebody. Someone gets to proclaim "victory," but the delegate gap remains unchanged... meaning Obama wins in the practical sense.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
maynerd said:

Pretty freakin lame.

im in florida and i didnt vote. i was told that since no delegates were going to be seated.. it didnt matter.. i was busy and didnt want to waste my time with something that had no relevance. i know there are many people on the same boat as me.. if the delegates will be counted for florida, i would want a re-vote so my voice can be heard.. MI, should definitely get a re-vote since obama wasnt even on the ballot. i dont see how she can argue to seat them like that. i always felt it was shady that she didnt pull out of the ballots like the rest of her peers. :/

APF

42% Want McCain to Answer 3:00 a.m. Phone Call

[...]

The commercial was credited as one factor enabling Clinton to turn her campaign around in Texas last week. But, 42% of all voters said the person they’d most want to answer the phone was John McCain. Among all voters, 25% picked Clinton and another 25% named Obama as the person they’d want in the White House when a foreign policy crisis call arrived.

Among Democrats, 46% said they’d like Clinton to take that call while 36% named Obama.

Among Republicans, 79% named McCain while neither Democrat reached double digits.

Among unaffiliated voters, 39% said McCain would be their top choice to handle such a crisis. Twenty-seven percent (27%) of unaffiliateds said they thought Obama was the best to handle the call while 18% named Clinton.

Among men, 51% preferred McCain, 21% Obama, and 19% Clinton. Women were evenly divided—33% for McCain and 30% for each of the Democrats.

As for which of the three would be the worst to have in the White House when a foreign policy crisis broke out, 36% named Obama, 28% McCain, and 25% Clinton. Men were evenly divided as to whether Clinton or Obama would be the worst. Women were evenly divided as to whether Obama or McCain would be the worst.

An Obama foreign policy advisor said that neither Democrat was prepared to take that call (see video), a comment that John McCain was quite happy to endorse.
http://rasmussenreports.com/public_.../42_want_mccain_to_answer_3_00_a_m_phone_call

No word on whether or not Susan Rice was asked to take part in this poll.

gcubed

any other philly area gaffers here for obama? We are starting to push hard for voter registration / re-registration as well as a rally at love park at lunch time today.

First time since i've been old enough to vote that PA mattered. Would love to have Obama win, but the most i can help do is make sure Philly gets out... and to get the stick out of the asses of the rich biddies in the burbs.

APF said:
http://rasmussenreports.com/public_.../42_want_mccain_to_answer_3_00_a_m_phone_call

No word on whether or not Susan Rice was asked to take part in this poll.

i still dont see how Hillary has any experience that would allow her to handle a crisis any better then Obama. I can see people saying McCain would be their choice.

She can always just blame Canada i guess, she's getting good at that

APF

Does someone have the full quote from Susan Rice? I've looked around everywhere and can't find it.

HylianTom

Banned
Oh wow.. the "monster" is front-page news on Yahoo. I didn't expect that.

I wonder how far the mainstream media will run with this?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think at this point, Hillarys only hope is to somehow make up the 600K deficit in popular vote. I dont think she can do this without bringing Florida and Michigan into play. If she can win the popular vote (even if behind in pledged delegates) she might be able to make a case to super delegates. Otherwise, I just dont see them budging.

HylianTom

Banned
StoOgE said:
I think at this point, Hillarys only hope is to somehow make up the 600K deficit in popular vote. I dont think she can do this without bringing Florida and Michigan into play. If she can win the popular vote (even if behind in pledged delegates) she might be able to make a case to super delegates. Otherwise, I just dont see them budging.

Staying consistently but narrowly ahead in national polls wouldn't hurt either. I'm curious to see what Ras and Gallup show today. Will he bottom out? Will she ever get above that 48%?

APF

I think someone missed my subtle sarcasm.

As I said before, all Rice did was play-into the message of Hillary's ad, and all Hillary's ad did was play-into a legitimate undercurrent of doubt in Obama as a candidate and potential President. She did little to reassure anyone of his ability to handle uncertainty by giving a Rumsfeldian response saying no one can plan for Unknown Unknowns, and certainly did little to counter the perspective that BOTH Clinton and McCain have the confidence of the people over her candidate in this regard.

HylianTom said:
Oh wow.. the "monster" is front-page news on Yahoo. I didn't expect that.

I wonder how far the mainstream media will run with this?

After doing well up to this point, folks in the Obama camp are just making rookie mistakes. It's bound to happen but I think Obama needs to lay the hammer down and get things under control. Hillary's camp has already been negative in the past so comments like that won't catch as much front page news or headlines but from Obama, this is gold for the media. Expect to hear about this for the next week.

Rur0ni

StoOgE said:
She lead Obama by less than 300,000 in Florida with Edwards and Kucinich on the ballot. Would be interesting to see how that gap closes in a re-vote. (I don't think the DNC will do another primary, too much $, for something that wasn't their doing). Then Michigan into play, caucus style, that's something Obama can win. Look at the SurveyUSA electoral map, Obama wins the state in a match up against McCain, whereas Clinton loses it, though it's narrow. That would signal to me that either of them can win that state in a re-vote, but Obama would have the edge in a caucus. (Caucus votes are estimated I believe, so he'll gain there). Anything she gets out of PA, if she does at all, can be made up with NC. I do not see her getting the popular vote when all is said and done. Bookmark this post for later crow if you will. ;)

Obama will lead in delegates and popular vote. At that point, her only argument becomes: she can win the big states? California and New York both go blue according to SurveyUSA.

Is the Clinton goal to go down with a fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom