• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF March 8th/11th Caucus Thread (Wyoming + Mississippi = OBAMATON)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
CowboyAstronaut said:
Obama didn't do any favors for any local energy interests he voted for it because it apparently had environmental and labor protections or something like that.

Is this the same bill that Hilary voted for, but later said she hoped it wouldn't pass in it's original form?

No, we're talking about the 2005 energy bill, crafted by Dick Cheney, that every environmentalist activist and even the vast majority of editorial boards realized was a big, dirty giveaway to corporate energy interests.

The one that Hillary voted against and Obama voted for.

grandjedi6 said:
Where do you stand on the climate issue?

Already, China uses more coal than the United States, the European Union and Japan combined. And it has increased coal consumption 14 percent in each of the past two years in the broadest industrialization ever. Every week to 10 days, another coal-fired power plant opens somewhere in China that is big enough to serve all the households in Dallas or San Diego.

--- New York Times

We're fucked regardless of how much we tax, cap and trade, or buy Priuses. Thinking that changing our policies will force the two largest coutries in the world to alter their economic growth models (that hover around 10% GDP) is probably the most naive argument I have ever heard.

gkryhewy

grandjedi6 said:
oh yeah, now I remember. I think I bloted that debate out of my mind after all 3 opposed building more Nuclear power plants :(

Oh god, really? I thought Obama was nuclear-friendly (what with successful plants in Illinois).

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
siamesedreamer: Yeah! If only there were some way to use leverage on a country that's completely dependent on its export industries...

Hootie

grandjedi6 said:
Ron Paul
-believes there is no scientific consensus on Global Warming
-Believes for some reason that Volcanoes have something to do with man made global warming and that volcanoes are a significant contribution to warming
-believes that enforcing property rights would prohibit anyone from polluting, and somehow believes this is a solution to global warming (I respect the guy but, Ron Paul really doesn't know anything about Climate change, does he?)

The R-R-R-RON PAUL REVOLUTION! :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
gkrykewy said:
Oh god, really? I thought Obama was nuclear-friendly (what with successful plants in Illinois).

He is but these comments still worry me about what Obama will really support when in office

siamesedreamer said:
Already, China uses more coal than the United States, the European Union and Japan combined. And it has increased coal consumption 14 percent in each of the past two years in the broadest industrialization ever. Every week to 10 days, another coal-fired power plant opens somewhere in China that is big enough to serve all the households in Dallas or San Diego.

--- New York Times

We're fucked regardless of how much we tax, cap and trade, or buy Priuses. Thinking that changing our policies will force the two largest coutries in the world to alter their economic growth models (that hover around 10% GDP) is probably the most naive argument I have ever heard.

It would be easier to force China's hand if we ourselves limited carbon emissions. Especially since India creates a fraction of our pollution and China is about equal dispite having several times our population

JCreasy

Great piece here . .

Geraldine Ferraro's Ugly Words - Accidental, or Campaign Ploy?

click here

Ms. Ferraro's comment may be offensive and wrong, but that doesn't mean it's stupid. On the contrary: It looks pretty shrewd. Her words play very well into white resentment of affirmative action, by harping on the notion that less-qualified black people are getting jobs that should go to hard-working and experienced white people.

Ferraro's words suggest a coded play for the bigot vote, with the "woman" reference thrown in to somehow link Obama with the oppression of women (a little something for the Erica Jong set.) It fits in nicely with the "accidental" darkening of Obama's skin in a Clinton campaign photo, or Sen. Clinton's recent statement that Sen. Obama isn't a Muslim - "as far as I know.

siamesedreamer said:

"We're fucked" is not a policy position.

syllogism

Why are so many voters turning away from Barack Obama in state after state?
In the last two weeks, Barack Obama has lost ground among men, women, Democrats, independents and Republicans – all of which point to a candidacy past its prime.
If Barack Obama cannot reverse his downward spiral with a big win in Pennsylvania, he cannot possibly be competitive against John McCain in November.

http://thepage.time.com/clinton-memo-on-pennsylvania/

Lefty42o

Banned
thekad said:
If Obama's performance in the primaries shows that he can't compete with McCain, and he is leading Hillary in popular vote, delegates, states won, and now momentum... What does that make Hillary?

:lol

shit out of luck

JCreasy

the stench coming from the clinton campaign is starting to make my eyes water: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/12/clinton-florida-michiga_n_91158.html

Great comment:

If an umpire declares that a game won't be played because of inclement weather can the team that stays around until the sun comes out declare victory because the other team wasn't there to play the game? In Hillary world it apparently can. In Karl Rove world it probably can. What then is the difference between Hillary world and Karl Rove world? The people Hillary is appealing to use their brains. The people Karl appeals to don't. Now do you think Hillary has a chance to win the title when so many people are thinking that she cheated when she declared victory in two of the games?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Why can't we vent our frustrations about Hillary in unsensible ways again?

She seriously pisses me off in ways that no one else can.

Amir0x

Banned
Thats what happens when you put so much emotional investment into a candidate - any attacks against that candidate become personal.

Hillary deserves it though, she has been a fucking atrocious Democrat this campaign.

syllogism

This is pretty funny

Thanks, Tony

Obama's name pops up in Rezko's trial again today, because, it seems, Rezko's defense strategy at times is to associate himself with the popular, well-regarded Obama wherever as possible. If Obama was involved, goes this argument, how bad could it have been?

Not terribly helpful to his old friend, but Rezko is fighting for his life here.

[Defense lawyer Joseph] Duffy said that pretty high level people, including "some other guy called Obama," worked on legislation to revamp the state's health planning board.

PhatSaqs

Banned
ministerhilary.jpg

"...the Obama campaign has just announced that it is turning its attention away from Pennsylvania."
"Why are so many voters turning away from Barack Obama in state after state?"
"In the last two weeks, Barack Obama has lost ground among men, women, Democrats, independents and Republicans – all of which point to a candidacy past its prime."
"If Barack Obama cannot reverse his downward spiral with a big win in Pennsylvania, he cannot possibly be competitive against John McCain in November."

Lefty42o

Banned
Amir0x said:
Thats what happens when you put so much emotional investment into a candidate - any attacks against that candidate become personal.

Hillary deserves it though, she has been a fucking atrocious Democrat this campaign.

PhatSaqs said:
[img.]http://www.aliveorlifeless.com/images/ministerhilary.jpg[/img]
"...the Obama campaign has just announced that it is turning its attention away from Pennsylvania."
"Why are so many voters turning away from Barack Obama in state after state?"
"In the last two weeks, Barack Obama has lost ground among men, women, Democrats, independents and Republicans – all of which point to a candidacy past its prime."
"If Barack Obama cannot reverse his downward spiral with a big win in Pennsylvania, he cannot possibly be competitive against John McCain in November."
Can someone youtube link the original video of this guy? Memories!

I hope Obama brings back the "silly season" line again.

Amir0x

Banned
you know though, although he'll get the nomination anyway, I would LOVE for him to end her campaign in Pennsylvania. What a way to lose that would be for her!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Amir0x said:

Democrat? She's doing everything out of the GOP playbook the past couple of months. She's been an atrocious politician, period. It's shit like this why people are voting for Obama and are tired of the same old shit.

When we won Iowa, the Clinton campaign said it's not the number of states you win, it's "a contest for delegates."

When we won a significant lead in delegates, they said it's really about which states you win.

When we won South Carolina, they discounted the votes of African-Americans.

When we won predominantly white, rural states like Idaho, Utah, and Nebraska, they said those didn't count because they won't be competitive in the general election.

When we won in Washington State, Wisconsin, and Missouri -- general election battlegrounds where polls show Barack is a stronger candidate against John McCain -- the Clinton campaign attacked those voters as "latte-sipping" elitists.

And now that we've won more than twice as many states, the Clinton spin is that only certain states really count.

But the facts are clear.

For all their attempts to discount, distract, and distort, we have won more delegates, more states, and more votes.

Meanwhile, more than half of the votes that Senator Clinton has won so far have come from just five states. And in four of these five states, polls show that Barack would be a stronger general election candidate against McCain than Clinton.

We're ready to take on John McCain. But we also need to build operations in places like Pennsylvania, Indiana, North Carolina, and Oregon that will hold their primaries in April and May.

Barack Obama needs your support to fight this two-front battle. Please make a donation of $25 right now:

https://donate.barackobama.com/math

With our overwhelming victory in the Mississippi primary yesterday, our lead in earned delegates is now wider than it was on March 3rd, before the contests in Ohio and Texas.

And thanks to your help, we have dramatically increased our support among so-called "superdelegates" -- Governors, Members of Congress, and party officials who have a vote at the Democratic National Convention in August.

As the number of remaining delegates dwindles, Hillary Clinton's path to the nomination seems less and less plausible.

Now that Mississippi is behind us, we move on to the next ten contests. The Clinton campaign would like to focus your attention only on Pennsylvania -- a state in which they have already declared that they are "unbeatable."

But Pennsylvania is only one of those 10 remaining contests, each important in terms of allocating delegates and ultimately deciding who our nominee will be.

We have activated our volunteer networks in each of these upcoming battlegrounds. We're putting staff on the ground and building our organization everywhere.

The key to victory is not who wins the states that the Clinton campaign thinks are important. The key to victory is realizing that every vote and every voter matters.

Throughout this entire process, the Clinton campaign has cherry-picked states, diminished caucuses, and moved the goal posts to create a shifting, twisted rationale for why they should win the nomination despite winning fewer primaries, fewer states, fewer delegates, and fewer votes.

We must stand up to the same-old Washington politics. Barack has won twice as many states, large and small, in every region of the country -- many by landslide margins. And this movement is expanding the base of the Democratic Party by attracting new voters in record numbers and bringing those who had lost hope back into the political process.

Push back against the spin and help build the operation to win more delegates in these upcoming contests:

https://donate.barackobama.com/math

Thank you for your support and for everything you've done to build a movement that is engaging voters and winning contests in every part of this country.

just out

Chrono

Banned
I haven't been keeping up with this stuff, can someone tell me what do the latest polls in Pennsylvania generally point to? Is Obama close? Thanks.

gcubed

Chrono said:
I haven't been keeping up with this stuff, can someone tell me what do the latest polls in Pennsylvania generally point to? Is Obama close? Thanks.

not sure if there is one much more recent then right after jr tuesday which showed a bigger gap then before. 6 weeks away is a looong time

v1cious

Banned
Geraldine Ferraro stepped down. bitch

... that's right i said it, cause she has proven herself to be one. if you want to defend Geraldine, then be my guest.

syllogism

CNN.com Developing Story: Geraldine Ferraro is leaving the Hillary Clinton campaign in the wake of a controversy regarding her remarks about Barack Obama.

GhaleonEB

Chrono said:
As the survey above shows, he's behind by ~19 points. It will close down to a smaller margin by the day of the primary, but I think it will end up more like Ohio and less like Texas (primary). Found this interesting if it stands, though.

How many delegates will Clinton pick up in Pennsylvania? The expectations are set at 19 percent of the popular vote. Al Giordano goes district by district and suggests Clinton will win the state delegate count 92-66, or +26 delegates. Bowers checks Giordano's predictions and comes up with a smaller margin 84-74 Clinton.
So if the status quo holds, she gains 26 delegates. That's a small dent in the ~150-160 lead Obama has, and he can make that up in the next round of states.

http://kos.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/3/12/15518/4664/854/471036

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
syllogism said:
CNN.com Developing Story: Geraldine Ferraro is leaving the Hillary Clinton campaign in the wake of a controversy regarding her remarks about Barack Obama.

they should have done this day one. They let this story grow to the point where it still has legs days later.

Cheebs

thekad said:
I wish Obama would say all that stuff in a speech or rally of some sort. It'd be played all day on the national networks.
It wouldn't be in his style. He doesn't like to initiate attacks like ever. He prefers doing counter punches.

Tamanon

Banned
:lol The actual letter she wrote to resign:

Dear Hillary –

I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign.

The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you.

I won't let that happen.

Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do to make this a better world for my children and grandchildren.

You have my deep admiration and respect.

Gerry

gcubed

GhaleonEB said:
As the survey above shows, he's behind by ~19 points. It will close down to a smaller margin by the day of the primary, but I think it will end up more like Ohio and less like Texas (primary). Found this interesting if it stands, though.

So if the status quo holds, she gains 26 delegates. That's a small dent in the ~150-160 lead Obama has, and he can make that up in the next round of states.

http://kos.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/3/12/15518/4664/854/471036

no way. They are actually say that she expects to win by 19%? Are they stupid?

Amir0x

Banned
Cheebs said:
It wouldn't be in his style. He doesn't like to initiate attacks like ever. He prefers doing counter punches.

Heh, actually in this context it would be a counter punch. It'd just be the most significant counter punch of all time.

He is basically rebutting all her assertions and attacks about which states and voters matter, one by one... that's a counter punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom