• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF March 8th/11th Caucus Thread (Wyoming + Mississippi = OBAMATON)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mathews: "Congressman, you are not answering my question. How can she claim the nomination if she doesn't have the votes?"

Clinton Surrogate: "Race is not over, superdelegates, Michigan, Florida, lots of time, Pennsylvania."

Mathews: "Senator, can you imagine a Thomas Jefferson government voting for someone who doesn't have the vote?"

McCaskil: "What people are not talking about is the momentum Obama has with the superdelegates. Hillary had a 100 super delegate lead a month and a half ago and Obama has dwindled down to 30."

Paraphrasing here.

Cheebs said:
cartoon.jpg
:lol

GhaleonEB

In a private meeting in D.C. with her top fundraisers from all over the country today, Hillary gave a rousing pep-talk in which she flatly predicted, "we're gonna win this," according to a fundraiser who was present.

In a series of closed-door meetings in Washington today, fundraisers were given extensive presentations from top Hillary advisers and surrogates about strategy and about what needs to be done to win over super-delegates should she fail to close the pledged delegate gap, the fundraiser says.

The fundraiser adds that there were expressions of frustration with DNC chair Howard Dean for not doing enough to resolve the Florida and Michigan situations.

I reported below that the Hillary campaign summoned its top fundraisers for an all-day affair in D.C. today. The fundraiser who was present gave me a rough run-down on some of what transpired.

Fundraisers were given a presentation on Florida by Senator Bill Nelson, and one on Michigan by Senator Debbie Stabenow, and senior Hillary adviser Harold Ickes walked listeners through the challenges ahead. The presentations had a tone of optimism tempered by realism, the fundraiser said, adding that Ickes didn't try to persuade his listeners that she would be able to catch up with Obama in pledged delegates.

Rather, the clear message emerging from the presentations was that Hillary's success depends on the campaign's ability to persuade the super-delegates that they should be considering three "data points," as this fundraiser puts it, in considering whom to back: The pledged delegate count, the popular vote, and the specific states won by each candidate.

The fundraisers -- who included Hillary finance chairs Alan Patricof, Maureen White, and Hassan Nemazee -- persistently questioned Hillary advisers about what could be done about Florida and Michigan. There was a pronounced sense at the meetings that Howard Dean needs to do more to resolve the situations in those states. "There was very much a sense that people want Dean to do more," the fundraiser says.

Hillary spoke soon after noon to her top money people. "She took questions for most of the time," the fundraiser says, adding that she projected an "upbeat" air and that she said, "I'm a fighter, when I get knocked down, I get right up, we're gonna win this."

Anyway, take this for what it's worth. One other point: The fundraiser says that the tensions between Ickes, Mark Penn and other top advisers were held in check for once: "They didn't go at each other," the fundraiser quips.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/03/in_private_peptalk_to_top_dono.php

GhaleonEB

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, what the hell is that editorial doing in the money section? I mean I know it's a conservative one, but....stashed in the business section.:lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
unless democratic leaders step in this really could be a case where it's between Clinton and a unified Democratic Party. even then, it looks like she is comfortable weakening Obama enough to ensure McCain a victory in November (ie: stupid 'experience threshold' comment).

on the other hand, the potential difference in pledged delegates (~100 is likely) is small enough a percentage of the total that Clinton has a valid claim to let autonomous super delegates have their say. after all this is over the DNC needs to seriously reevaluate the role/need of superdelegates and changing the primary/caucus dates, maybe to a lottery format.

Amir0x

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I live in PA too - happy to put together a thread if people would like.

I live in PA too.
Today I made a medium-sized Obama banner and hung it up outside my office in the Tobyhanna Army Depot. Civilians for the army UNITE!

teiresias

scorcho said:
unless democratic leaders step in this really could be a case where it's between Clinton and a unified Democratic Party. even then, it looks like she is comfortable weakening Obama enough to ensure McCain a victory in November (ie: stupid 'experience threshold' comment).

on the other hand, the potential difference in pledged delegates (~100 is likely) is small enough a percentage of the total that Clinton has a valid claim to let autonomous super delegates have their say. after all this is over the DNC needs to seriously reevaluate the role/need of superdelegates and changing the primary/caucus dates, maybe to a lottery format.

I agree, the primary system needs to see some changes again. However, I do not want to see a winner-take-all system as Hillary would probably be the run away winner at this point in such a system.

gkryhewy

Amir0x said:
I live in PA too.
Today I made a medium-sized Obama banner and hung it up outside my office in the Tobyhanna Army Depot. Civilians for the army UNITE!

I'm thinking of volunteering here in Philly. Not sure yet, as I'm rather busy right now. Campaign's doing a smart thing in South Philly - cleaning up/renovating a park with campaign sponsorship. After the Obama signs come down, the park will still be clean.

Anyway: amir0x, ruroni - should I make a thread, or is another one imminent?

scorcho

teiresias said:
I agree, the primary system needs to see some changes again. However, I do not want to see a winner-take-all system as Hillary would probably be the run away winner at this point in such a system.
so if Obama was likely to benefit then a winner-take-all system would be fine for you?

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
so if Obama was likely to benefit then a winner-take-all system would be fine for you?

I think he's inferring that a winner-take-all system is tilted more towards the establishment.

GhaleonEB

Proportional delegates is the way to go, across the board. But I'd like to see it applied to the electoral college as well for the general. Or better yet, ditch that and just count the votes and whoever gets the most becomes president. Craziness, I know. How we came up with such an absurdly complex way to select our leader I will never understand.

scorcho

Tamanon said:
I think he's inferring that a winner-take-all system is tilted more towards the establishment.
looks like it's candidate-based to me. regardless, winner-take-all systems aren't likely anyhow.

JCreasy

scorcho said:
Clinton has a valid claim to let autonomous super delegates have their say.

Let's hope the super delegates do the right thing. If they undermine the popular vote and make Clinton the nominee, not only will McCain win, but it'll take several generations for the DNC to get back on its feet.

There is no way that Obama supporters are going to tolerate having Clinton as their representative. It's just not going to happen.

GhaleonEB

JCreasy said:
Let's hope the super delegates do the right thing. If they undermine the popular vote and make Clinton the nominee, not only will McCain win, but it'll take several generations for the DNC to get back on its feet.

There is no way that Obama supporters are going to tolerate Clinton are their representative. It's just not going to happen.
I'd skip out on voting entirely if they did that.

Seth C

gkrykewy said:
I'm thinking of volunteering here in Philly. Not sure yet, as I'm rather busy right now. Campaign's doing a smart thing in South Philly - cleaning up/renovating a park with campaign sponsorship. After the Obama signs come down, the park will still be clean.

Anyway: amir0x, ruroni - should I make a thread, or is another one imminent?

There is no way we need a PA thread yet, but I think we could use a between the primaries thread. Someone had some funny ideas for titles a few pages back.

gkryhewy

Seth C said:
There is no way we need a PA thread yet, but I think we could use a between the primaries thread. Someone had some funny ideas for titles a few pages back.

Cool. I thought "Official Thread of the Six Week PA Primary" had a nice ring to it :D

reilo

GhaleonEB said:
I'd skip out on voting entirely if they did that.

Olbermann just posted a poll:

Of those polled, they were asked if the nominee is to be chosen by superdelegates:

Nominee is illegitimate 38%
Nominee is legitimate 29%
No opinion either way 28%

reilo

Clinton: The results of Florida and Michigan are fair, and should be honored.

Get, the, fuck, out.

Amir0x

Banned
reilo said:
Clinton: The results of Florida and Michigan are fair, and should be honored.

Get, the, fuck, out.

You have to look at it from her perspective. I can understand where she's coming from. You see in Hillary's world, it's "fair" to constantly race bait, to endorse a Republican opponent while tearing down a fellow democrat, to dismiss the vast majority of the country and their states, to lie about her roots and lie about her experience and lie about her taxes and corruption.

In Hillary's world, her being the only one on the ballot in Michigan is fair. It's the fairest it could be. After all, since Hillary is entitled to the nomination, it's more fair than anything that has been fair before. Why should someone who is not inevitable and entitled be on the ballot?

The beauty contest in Florida highlighted her strong ability to win battleground states in races where nobody is being competitive. It's the most democratic way to win, after all, and is an ability strongly needed in the general.

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
How is she lying about her roots? I'm not familiar with this meme

Let's put it this way, do you actually know what Hillary's home state is?

I think it might be Texas personally, but she changes it a lot.

reilo

Amir0x said:
You have to look at it from her perspective. I can understand where she's coming from. You see in Hillary's world, it's "fair" to constantly race bait, to endorse a Republican opponent while tearing down a fellow democrat, to dismiss the vast majority of the country and their states, to lie about her roots and lie about her experience and lie about her taxes and corruption.

In Hillary's world, her being the only one on the ballot in Michigan is fair. It's the fairest it could be. After all, since Hillary is entitled to the nomination, it's more fair than anything that has been fair before. Why should someone who is not inevitable and entitled be on the ballot?

The beauty contest in Florida highlighted her strong ability to win battleground states in races where nobody is being competitive. It's the most democratic way to win, after all, and is an ability strongly needed in the general.

Kind of like Saddam Hussein thought it was fair that he got 100% of the vote - eventhough he threatened to murder the family of anyone who voted against him?

Okay, that's a bit extreme on my part, but Hillary's view of fair essentially mimics the authoritarian view of fair - they believe they know what's best for the people eventhough the people are telling you, flat out, in your goddamn face, the exact opposite.

dabig2

Tamanon said:
Let's put it this way, do you actually know what Hillary's home state is?

I think it might be Texas personally, but she changes it a lot.

Sad to say she's Chicago bred. Went to the same highschool as my mom actually. But we chicagoans don't really claim her so.....

Amir0x

Banned
If Hillary has ever even taken a breath in a state, or has a cousin fifty times removed, she has roots in the states.

She once fucked a guy in Toledo.

reilo

Amir0x said:
If Hillary has ever even taken a breath in a state, or has a cousin fifty times removed, she has roots in the states.

As far as we know, that guy has denied any sexual involvement with HRC.

Seth C

Amir0x said:

Hahahaha...we know that's not true. Wait, did the "guy" have a vagina?

I can't wait for this special comment. Hopefully it'll be like Olbermann has been holding back for far too long and after this last straw, he's ready to let it rip. :D

reilo

The Lamonster said:
I can't wait for this special comment. Hopefully it'll be like Olbermann has been holding back for far too long and after this last straw, he's ready to let it rip. :D

If it's anything like his one against George Bush in the aftermath of the Habeas Corpus fiasco where he quotes John Wayne... then holy shit.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
dabig2 said:
Sad to say she's Chicago bred. Went to the same highschool as my mom actually. But we chicagoans don't really claim her so.....

We don't claim Reagan either. Our Presidential contenders so far have been Lincoln, Stevenson and Obama

mosaic said:
Wow, I found an article by a woman that basically sums up everything my female friends have been saying to me, very emotionally, ever since Super Tuesday:

http://www.womensmediacenter.com/ex/020108.html

Basically, it hits all of the race, gender, age, and experience complaints in one massive "Hillary is losing" style whine.

From the article:

Goodbye to the sick, malicious idea that this is funny. This is not “Clinton hating,” not “Hillary hating.” This is sociopathic woman-hating.

No I'm sorry you can't generalize for everyone, for me it's Clinton hating. I've been supporting Obama since I read his positions way before he became popular (not exactly my kind of guy as far as political views go but definately the best of the bunch) and I've disliked Clinton simply because I'm convinced she won't change one thing.

The fact that she run her campaign like that though was the reason I hated her since her tactics reminds me of republicans (and there's nothing to me worse than the rightwingers' tactics to attract the morons). The fact that they call her names is because of her behaviour and I bet if Obama acted like that the comedy shows would call him "dickish". Would that make them sexists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom