• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

Zeroro

From what I can tell from his most recent tweets, Kodaka’s already looking for somebody to fill his role. I’m curious to see if a series as crazy as DR will work with somebody other than Kodaka at the helm.

From what I can tell from his most recent tweets, Kodaka’s already looking for somebody to fill his role. I’m curious to see if a series as crazy as DR will work with somebody other than Kodaka at the helm.

Of course, there is no way that Spike Chunsoft will stop the series and leave behind the mindshare it already has. I don’t expect any mainline title in a while, and when it actually happens I hope to see any new writer to just go with their own style.

I suppose that’s the other point of the ending, the actual meta point. I completely agree that the Danganronpa ‘fiction within a fiction’ lost its purpose for the audience (clearly inside the game and sorta in our world) and the series became a brutal spectacle for the sake of it. I suppose that is part of the reason why Kodaka felt the need to go this route with the V3 ending, to take a stand in this matter as you say. I wonder if he felt that there’s nothing else he could do as a creator with DR and decided to give it a send off in his terms.

I don't think it's quite gotten to that point IRL, but it's more or less that Kodaka see's this as the road before him if they really *don't* stop making DR. Though I do think this more or less confirms that DR3 was written by Kodaka at gunpoint; besides a couple flourishes its very clear hist heart isn't in it.

Like I said I can buy into the idea that these 'season' is purposefully a ramshackle affair; as a friend said it's like a show that's several seasons removed from its prime. Monokumas general disinterest, Tsumugi having to intervene, the hokey backstory that lamely tries to tie into the original games... it's all symptomatic of a series that's continuing for the mere sake of continuing.

Saw someone say there were discussions on making a PS4 mainline DR game with fully 3D aesthetics on the OT. Wonder where I can read this interview.

PK Gaming

I've been thinking about "willing participates vs kidnapped victims" angle for a while now, and something just doesn't add up. The game makes it ambiguous as to whether or not they were willing participants, but if we assume they were kidnapped, then why do Kaede and Shuichi introduce themselves using fake names?

It's also not that ambiguous. The prologue and the flashback in chapter 6 don't line up at all.

[1] [2]

But also, if they willingly signed up they should be aware / excited about being in DR during the prologue, but they aren't, so it's clear the "we were selected?" sequence is a fabrication.

It's a shame since I'm really enamored with the idea that they willingly signed up to DR.

Jeffrey

The problem with the twist is that there was no hints for it from what I can tell.

Anyone notice anything that hinted to the twist?

The problem with the twist is that there was no hints for it from what I can tell.

Upon discovering Rantaro's lab, Monokuma says something like "This is totally the sort of development I'd expect from a real killing game!".

That kind of solidified my suspicions I had that the game would go meta as shit and be controversial (which led me to thinking the whole thing was a lie, which led to me predicting the "the mastermind is the audience" angle).

We'd probably be able to dig something up in the prologue.

Mathrin

There was the play off between "worlds ended lol" and "..but someone has to be watching us" but nothing actually signalled the twist to me.

I suppose if you really read into it (plus the 6th Monokub was obviously a cameraman and nothing else) you might be able to guess but... I dunno.

LiK

Was watching a LP and after Kaede was killed, Suichi said something like he couldn’t tell the real world from fiction because of what just happened etc. interesting choice of words to use so early in the game.

WRT Twist I knew it as soon as they showed the cutscene with 'Makoto', which I think was at the beginning of Chapter 5. I also had been having doubts about the Flashback Lights for a while, since everyone conveniently seemed to have the same memories. And as soon as they brought in Hopes Peak Academy I was like 'okay, this connection is bs, something's going on'.

I've been thinking about "willing participates vs kidnapped victims" angle for a while now, and something just doesn't add up. The game makes it ambiguous as to whether or not they were willing participants, but if we assume they were kidnapped, then why do Kaede and Shuichi introduce themselves using fake names?

It's also not that ambiguous. The prologue and the flashback in chapter 6 don't line up at all.

[1] [2]

But also, if they willingly signed up they should be aware / excited about being in DR during the prologue, but they aren't, so it's clear the "we were selected?" sequence is a fabrication.

It's a shame since I'm really enamored with the idea that they willingly signed up to DR.

It could be those memories in Trial 6 are them entering the school, whereas the prologue is a botched start of the game.

sungahymn

Neo Member

I actually predicted the fake memories thing when the prologue was wrapping up. What tipped me off were two things: Kaede's clothes being literally IMPRINTED with symbols related to her talent, and the Monokubs telling them that the Ultimates forgot their talents, which I ousted as a probable lie since I made it my personal creed to doubt whatever Monokuma and his associates have to say.

As far everything being the Truman Show, it is logical extreme of the Real Life Death Game trope and the "This is being broadcast to television to an audience" angle that the first Danganronpa had. There are a few other little hints here and there that could have just as easily been handwaved away as trivial detail. Otherwise, the twist is more or less a complete surprise.

Loz246789

Off the top of my head, at one point in chapter 1 they reference a trial that we haven't seen ourselves, so you can infer that there have been more killing games from that.
There's also a bit more fourth wall breaking than usual even before the final chapter? Like the first scene of the game is Kaede introducing herself as the protagonist, so the idea of it going meta generally may occur to the player, even if not to that extent.
There's also how ridiculous some of the flashbacks are even by Danganronpa standards, but honestly this is the same series where Komaru gets possessed by a ghost randomly for plot exposition, so your mileage may vary there.
Other than that though... the theme of truth and lies? If you took that to its logical extreme, everything being potentially a lie is definitely a pretty reasonable conclusion to come to. Although again, mileage may vary.

PK Gaming

It could be those memories in Trial 6 are them entering the school, whereas the prologue is a botched start of the game.

What makes the prologue a botched start of the game? If we assume the chapter 6 memories + audition tapes are real, then the entire prologue must have been faked. But for what purpose? The prologue gets wiped from their brains anyway, what would be the point if wiping their memory twice? In order for the audition tapes to be real:

DR Participants receive their new clothes and remark about how happy they are to have been selected -----> memory wiped -----> Prologue ------> express confusion about being kidnapped----> memory wipe a second time -----> Chapter 1

No matter how I think it over, the intent was to have those audition tapes be fake and that Team DanganRonpa kidnapped these kids against their own free will. Which kind of... disappoints me.

I don't think it's quite gotten to that point IRL, but it's more or less that Kodaka see's this as the road before him if they really *don't* stop making DR. Though I do think this more or less confirms that DR3 was written by Kodaka at gunpoint; besides a couple flourishes its very clear hist heart isn't in it.

Like I said I can buy into the idea that these 'season' is purposefully a ramshackle affair; as a friend said it's like a show that's several seasons removed from its prime. Monokumas general disinterest, Tsumugi having to intervene, the hokey backstory that lamely tries to tie into the original games... it's all symptomatic of a series that's continuing for the mere sake of continuing.

That's why I thought the whole affair was a criticism to the "writers as cogs in the machine" that pervades several media. That excuse for a backstory that was given to the participants of the game was clearly bottom of the barrel, and at first glance came as phony - it only makes sense as commentary when taking the ending in consideration. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it seems to me that Kodaka felt that thought school was encroaching in the Danganronpa production process and as a creative decided to finish his participation in his terms while giving his blessing for anyone to make their own take on the IP.

I wonder why Kodaka left this unclear. There's a definite contrast between the mood that exudes from the actual prologue and the extended version of the gym scene. I agree with the possibility that what we saw there was a botched start of the killing game, as the Monokids comments about missing memories may make sense that way and the fanaticism criticism still works.

Only Kodaka may clear that, but I don't think he will.

sungahymn

Neo Member
What makes the prologue a botched start of the game? If we assume the chapter 6 memories + audition tapes are real, then the entire prologue must have been faked. But for what purpose? The prologue gets wiped from their brains anyway, what would be the point if wiping their memory twice? In order for the audition tapes to be real:

DR Participants receive their new clothes and remark about how happy they are to have been selected -----> memory wiped -----> Prologue ------> express confusion about being kidnapped----> memory wipe a second time -----> Chapter 1

No matter how I think it over, the intent was to have those audition tapes be fake and that Team DanganRonpa kidnapped these kids against their own free will. Which kind of... disappoints me.
Rather than a "botched" start, I think it is a intentional part of the "show" that Team DR created. The first prologue is meant to confuse players/audience and create intrigue, while the second prologue is the franchise-standard beginning that lays the foundation of the participants' understanding of the Killing Game.

And just like every other mystery and foreshadowing and backstory of DR V3, it is all pointless. It is purposely meant to put on a show not for the participants to understand, but for the players/audience to revel in.

EDIT: Also, the "flashback to the prologue" in Chapter 6 takes place exclusively in the Gym, so the flashback and the prologue that we saw might not be one-to-one, which is already something you pointed out with the participants being delighted and then them being scared.

That's why I thought the whole affair was a criticism to the "writers as cogs in the machine" that pervades several media. That excuse for a backstory that was given to the participants of the game was clearly bottom of the barrel, and at first glance came as phony - it only makes sense as commentary when taking the ending in consideration. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it seems to me that Kodaka felt that thought school was encroaching in the Danganronpa production process and as a creative decided to finish his participation in his terms while giving his blessing for anyone to make their own take on the IP.

My question is where the hell could Spike Chunsoft take this series? Kodaka has basically salted the earth with them doing another killing game game, and it's sort of taken the piss out of doing anything related to Hope's Peak/Junko Enoshima/Hope v. Despair setting as well. What can you do when both the Gameplay and Setting your series is known for are both severely undercut?

I wonder why Kodaka left this unclear. There's a definite contrast between the mood that exudes from the actual prologue and the extended version of the gym scene. I agree with the possibility that what we saw there was a botched start of the killing game, as the Monokids comments about missing memories may make sense that way and the fanaticism criticism still works.

Only Kodaka may clear that, but I don't think he will.

I think it's better that it stay unknown; it's sort of the message at the end of MGS2. Find your own truth and push forward. It's not that what happened didn't matter, but rather they can't let that ambiguity stop them from moving forward with their lives.

PK Gaming

Hmm, good points all around

I really like them being willing participants, so i'll stick with that as my truth. That was clearly their intention after all.

My question is where the hell could Spike Chunsoft take this series? Kodaka has basically salted the earth with them doing another killing game game, and it's sort of taken the piss out of doing anything related to Hope's Peak/Junko Enoshima/Hope v. Despair setting as well. What can you do when both the Gameplay and Setting your series is known for are both severely undercut?

That's a good question, and may be something Spike Chunsoft is still mulling over. The executive team had to know what Kodaka was trying to do before greenlighting this game, so the company may have a plan for this IP for the short- and middle-term. My thoughts on this matter is that they may leave the main series rest for a while and focus on making spin-offs what rely on the strengths and previous story of the franchise - the optics of making that considering this ending be damned. Having a series with an iconic mascot like Monokuma in gaming's current environment is an advantage they (IMO) wouldn't be willing to give up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kodaka is involved in this process.

I have a couple options:

1. Go meta-meta fiction and have V3 be a "fictitous game by an edgy writer" in a yet higher narrative universe.

2. Completely and utterly sever itself from the previous installments- drop the 6 chapter structure, drop the Ultimate HS Students setup, just have a bunch of people killing each other in an enclosed space and class trials (and, most likely, monokuma). V3 was exceedingly formulaic in the middle (CH2 features some sort of impulse/ease of access, CH3 double murder with the single most disproportionately characterized person as the killer, in CH4 the killer is relatable, etc.) but I'm not sure how much of that exactly was meant to give off the "reality show past its prime" vibe it was going for. So this might be exciting. I'd still be down day 1 for a gritty, grim, pale Danganronpa game like DR1's beta (DISTRUST).

3. Be a sequel to V3 that isn't called V4, and take place within the killing game obsessed outside world. After Shuichi's success in ending Danganronpa (hopefully), some people/ one madman gathers together a whole random bunch of people and forces them to play a Danganronpa-style killing game. It'd be an interesting meta-layer of narrative to have a cast that knows of V3's ending within the uniV3rse's outside world.

Hmm, good points all around

I really like them being willing participants, so i'll stick with that as my truth. That was clearly their intention after all.

I think it definitely works, but I also have to keep in mind that the people who participated in the game, even if a past self consented, didn't *really* choose this path for themselves; their old selves effectively died and became fictionalized entities that suffered and hurt because of the capricious whims of the world, which indeed includes their past selves if that were the case. This is probably getting more political than Kodaka meant it to be, but it speaks to an inherently human dignity that you can't simply divest yourself of.

Again, all this is reliant on Tsumugi telling the truth, which how the hell should I know.

That's a good question, and may be something Spike Chunsoft is still mulling over. The executive team had to know what Kodaka was trying to do before greenlighting this game, so the company may have a plan for this IP for the short- and middle-term. My thoughts on this matter is that they may leave the main series rest for a while and focus on making spin-offs what rely on the strengths and previous story of the franchise - the optics of making that considering this ending be damned. Having a series with an iconic mascot like Monokuma in gaming's current environment is an advantage they (IMO) wouldn't be willing to give up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kodaka is involved in this process.

I guess my issue is what stories could there possibly be left to tell in the current setting? As bland as it was, DR3 pretty much wrapped up the Hope's Peak saga. God that was such a disappointing show.

I don't think they undercut the gameplay or the setting. Some of the themes maybe, but really I've had enough of hope and despair and Junko and such.

You can get rid of this universe and set up a killing game on a completely different premise. Have monokuma be the unifying element of the games.

Oh damn, when you enter the fourth floor for the first time, Tsumugi tells the Monokubs not to say scary things because then she won’t be able to go to the bathroom alone...

CrazyDude

Did they have their memories wiped by the time of the prologue? Kaede and Rantaro seems to have some memories of the killing games, but they still use their fictional names.

caliph95

Can we give it up for the best face in the game

mHc5BkN.png

Did they have their memories wiped by the time of the prologue? Kaede and Rantaro seems to have some memories of the killing games, but they still use their fictional names.

Kaede AND Rantaro use fictional names?

...What?

Am I missing something here? I caught the Makoto/Shuichi parallel, but what is this about Kaede and Rantaro???

I guess my issue is what stories could there possibly be left to tell in the current setting? As bland as it was, DR3 pretty much wrapped up the Hope's Peak saga. God that was such a disappointing show.

Yeah, the current setting is more than likely done for. A shame really, I still hate that horrid resolution with Side Hope: DR3.

There's the possibility that the gym scene at the ending and the one in the prologue are different ones. The production may have messed up the beginning by starting without the Ultimate talents, so they might had to redo the whole meeting. It's unclear.

CrazyDude

Kaede AND Rantaro use fictional names?

...What?

Am I missing something here? I caught the Makoto/Shuichi parallel, but what is this about Kaede and Rantaro???

I'm basing it on Shuichi's audition tape that bleeped out his name, which they would only do to hide his real name. They are all fictional characters made for the killing games, so I am guessing that they all had other names before the killing games.

kewlmyc

I assumed that they had their memories wiped, but the Monokubs messed it up (not sure if the Monokubs being incompetent was part of the script or that's just how they were), and didn't implant their memories correctly (the cast only knowing their names, but not their talents). Some of the cast also seems to know about the killing game. I'm guessing being kidnapped is a part of the selection process and they don't tell the participants that they were chosen at first. Also, it's possible that the names they have (except for Keebo) are their actual names, I don't think this is ever stated or not in DRv3, so it's possible. After that, the kubs rewipe their memories and we get the first part of the games.

In chapter 6 we see that the cast reacts favorably when told that they're part of the killing game for the first time after receiving their costumes. It's possible this happened in the prologue, but the prologue cuts off right before this happens (kinda lazy writing, but I could see this happening).

It's also possible the entire prologue was on purpose and it was just Team DR's fucked up way of announcing to the contestants that they were chosen. They then proceed to reboot their memories and start the actual game.

I assumed that they had their memories wiped, but the Monokubs messed it up (not sure if the Monokubs being incompetent was part of the script or that's just how they were), and didn't implant their memories correctly (the cast only knowing their names, but not their talents). Some of the cast also seems to know about the killing game. I'm guessing being kidnapped is a part of the selection process and they don't tell the participants that they were chosen at first. Also, it's possible that the names they have (except for Keebo) are their actual names, I don't think this is ever stated or not in DRv3, so it's possible. After that, the kubs rewipe their memories and we get the first part of the games.

In chapter 6 we see that the cast reacts favorably when told that they're part of the killing game for the first time after receiving their costumes. It's possible this happened in the prologue, but the prologue cuts off right before this happens (kinda lazy writing, but I could see this happening).

It's also possible the entire prologue was on purpose and it was just Team DR's fucked up way of announcing to the contestants that they were chosen. They then proceed to reboot their memories and start the actual game.

No, the reaction Kaede had to the Monokubs in the prologue was one of apprehension and fear. Knowing what we know about the world of V3, it is clear that Kaede was about to ask if Monokuma was involved since she would know about him.

I honestly do not believe that any of the characters were affected by the Flashback Light until the end of the prologue. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

By the way, I've come to the conclusion that Keebo was always a robot. The reason being is that we see him change from normal clothes to his robot form in the clothes changing scene in the prologue. There is no way Team Danganronpa could convert him into a robot in a matter of seconds.

Either that, or they dragged the real Keebo off-screen and replaced him with a robot replica.

CrazyDude

I just don't see why they would bleep out Shuichi's name in the audition tape when he is introducing himself if it wasn't to hide his real name.

Yeah, the current setting is more than likely done for. A shame really, I still hate that horrid resolution with Side Hope: DR3.

What frustrates me is it seemed to have the potential to be cool. Future always seemed a bit suspect, what with introducing all those new characters (and indeed that went over flaccidly in the end) but I'd thought the Despair side of things would give a unique insight into the interplay of the 77th Class and how they all were seduced to despair. But Nope! As soon as Hajime becomes Izuru it's all downhill with mediocre reveal after mediocre reveal.

I've actually never had an issue with Junko up until this series, but here I found her kind of insufferable with how she simply god mods everything because... she wants to destroy the school's harmony? Part of Junko's appeal is her inscrutability to an extent, but between DR2 and DR0 they sort of built up some sort of sense of why Junko is the way she is (Ultimate Analyst -> Fatalistic Determinism about Existence -> Sadistic Nihilism) which DR3 more or less ignores (I don't even think DR0 is possible within the time span Despair Arc sets) but neither is she treated as a force of nature... she's just a very underwhelming, contrived prescense in the series, and the same goes doubly for animator dude. The fall of the 77th Class? Mind-Altering Anime. The entire fucking tragedy? Mind-altering anime. Goddamn, it's like the lamest thing they could've possibly gone with.

And it hurts because there are some fun bits in it, like the video game club Chiaki helps establish. But overall I kind of *hope* the anime was written at gunpoint, because it was so lackluster overall I really can't see Kodaka being *proud* with how it turned out.

But overall I kind of *hope* the anime was written at gunpoint, because it was so lackluster overall I really can't see Kodaka being *proud* with how it turned out.
Honestly I hope so too. The fact that they wanted to put the DR3 characters in the finale as Tsumugi cosplay really makes me wonder, though.

caliph95

What frustrates me is it seemed to have the potential to be cool. Future always seemed a bit suspect, what with introducing all those new characters (and indeed that went over flaccidly in the end) but I'd thought the Despair side of things would give a unique insight into the interplay of the 77th Class and how they all were seduced to despair. But Nope! As soon as Hajime becomes Izuru it's all downhill with mediocre reveal after mediocre reveal.

I've actually never had an issue with Junko up until this series, but here I found her kind of insufferable with how she simply god mods everything because... she wants to destroy the school's harmony? Part of Junko's appeal is her inscrutability to an extent, but between DR2 and DR0 they sort of built up some sort of sense of why Junko is the way she is (Ultimate Analyst -> Fatalistic Determinism about Existence -> Sadistic Nihilism) which DR3 more or less ignores (I don't even think DR0 is possible within the time span Despair Arc sets) but neither is she treated as a force of nature... she's just a very underwhelming, contrived prescense in the series, and the same goes doubly for animator dude. The fall of the 77th Class? Mind-Altering Anime. The entire fucking tragedy? Mind-altering anime. Goddamn, it's like the lamest thing they could've possibly gone with.

And it hurts because there are some fun bits in it, like the video game club Chiaki helps establish. But overall I kind of *hope* the anime was written at gunpoint, because it was so lackluster overall I really can't see Kodaka being *proud* with how it turned out.

I still contend that DR3 would have been better if they combined future and despair by putting focus on future so the new characters can actually get development and time to spend with them plus woth flashback from despair

Despair was such a waste of potential because of the episode count they rushed the development of dr2 cast and ruined dr2 with the extra information it's better to ignore it and focus on the games

Sapientas

The fake prologue was a big tell and by the Ultimate Maid motive reveal I was already sure that they weren't ultimates.

The beginning of the last chapter is also another hint, along with a bunch of weirdly phrases that in context you won't bat an eye.

I still contend that DR3 would have been better if they combined future and despair by putting focus on future so the new characters can actually get development and time to spend with them plus woth flashback from despair

Despair was such a waste of potential because of the episode count they rushed the development of dr2 cast and ruined dr2 with the extra information it's better to ignore it and focus on the games

I think setting it up as a killing game was a bad idea; they probably also should've limited the new characters to like 3-5 as to give everyone more room to breathe.

caliph95

I think setting it up as a killing game was a bad idea; they probably also should've limited the new characters to like 3-5 as to give everyone more room to breathe.
Even the bad guys plan didn't need to be a killing game and I didn't really care for the characters since they don't get much development before dying or like confectioner girl was just nothing

Even the bad guys plan didn't need to be a killing game and I didn't really care for the characters since they don't get much development before dying or like confectioner girl was just nothing

I think everyone agrees that the motivation for the killing game in DR3 was absolute trash. I'd have liked to see an easter egg dealing with its reception in the comments of the audience, in a manner similar to the white noise concerning DR0 after AI Junko's appearance in the final trial of DR2.

NotLiquid

Y'know there's a sorta tragic realization in Miu's love hotel event which - along with just about her entire character - while played for laughs, shows that she has a seemingly horrible case of abandonment issues. She's like Mikan but worse. It seems she's gone through all her life being bullied and has developed a much more believable psychological complex out of it, where she's aggressive but weak-willed. Even her overly sexual nature could be an extension of that; she's undeniably attractive and probably only finds self-worth in that fact (particularly since she doesn't like her own inventions), and since she gets insulted so much she probably only enjoys sexually derogatory terms because to her they're like an acknowledgement of her own self-perceived strengths rather than a direct attack on her character. That's just brutal.

Next to Kaede, Miu is probably the character they done did dirty the most. She's a pretty fucking tragic character when you read into her, and unlike Mikan she never gets a moment of "redemption" (case 2-3 wasn't something Mikan was exclusively capable of committing under her circumstance, and in Danganronpa 3 she revives and solidifies this series' most iconic couple). Miu just ends up becoming a gag that the game forgets about, even when she indirectly became arguably one of the most useful characters in the game. Seriously - just about every invention she makes, including the damn sensor cameras, comes together to be instrumental in uncovering the truth of the killing game. Imagine what would've happened if she built those electrohammers at the start.

... So yeah unfortunately this following post kind of developed into a rant unto it's own. I was originally going to talk about how Miu turned out to be so much more of an interesting character than I predicted but then this got out of hand. I guess it's another one of those "the more I think about it the more flaws I find" moment.

Yeah yeah, "don't get attached to Danganronpa characters" and all that. But I feel like everyone who dies in these games usually die either because their arcs have completed or because they're tragically cut short, both often in service of another character that will learn from them. Miu kinda dies for no reason other than someone needs to die; only being used as an instrument for us to feel sorry for Gonta - and in retrospect that makes me kinda dislike Gonta more. I mentioned in the main thread that the only good thing about Chapter 4 was how it was emotionally heartwrenching how Kokichi so diabolically manipulated Gonta's innocence.. but in retrospect the game follows this case with a pretty poor attempt at redeeming Kokichi, and Gonta's actual motive for killing still makes no sense, which makes the entirety of Chapter 4 feel like a joke. While I'm kind of iffy on the idea of DR rehashing plot twists, this chapter, out of any chapter in the series, should really have gone back to the original DR's chapter 4 and made another "suicide" case with Gonta as the victim. That is something that would be way more believable for Kokichi to manipulate, Miu wouldn't have been such a joke of a victim and they wouldn't have to completely grind her character into mud. If they so desperately wanted an execution, they should've just dedicated one to the Monokubs, especially since it's around this time when Monotaro was actually developing into becoming someone that helped the students (another thing I'm realizing - while Monodam is my favorite kub, Monotaro had so much potential to become something of a friend for the group, but nope, he too dies as a joke).

The more I think about this game the more the stuff that bugs me isn't so much controversial plot twists... it's just wasted character opportunities. I still enjoyed the game a lot in the heat of the moment, but the more I think about it the more there's just a lot of cracks here that weren't as apparent to me in previous games. I realize that this... might've been the point of the game, as the game really emphasizes in it's major "meta" twist reveal how much it hurts that these characters suffered and died for the worst of reasons - but to me what kinda discredits it on a thematic level is that this only applies to certain, not all characters. When Tenko and Angie died, I thought that was earned. When Ryoma died, I thought that was earned (and especially poetic because him not having anyone on the outside world applied to everyone). Rantaro especially earned a pass since his "status" and knowledge would be a looming presence throughout the game, with the late-game reveal even supporting this as it turns out his mere presence is the key to the mystery, and killing him off prolonged that mystery. I even begrudgingly thought Kaede earned her death... until the late game twist that she didn't kill anyone. And her, Miu and Korekiyo have probably the cheapest reasons for dying that this franchise has ever concocted, especially considering how up until their deaths they were generally good characters before finding arbitrary reasons to make us not think they are. These characters in particular felt like they were held back by bad writing, and when characters start dying for the worst of reasons is kinda when the whole Danganronpa concept falls apart. In Danganronpa 2, I enjoyed every character, and the way the game treated them made every development satisfying, heartwarming and heartbreaking. Everything was well justified through tragic circumstance. In V3, I enjoyed pretty much every character as well, but it often feels like the game doesn't really want me to enjoy them.

Like I said; this very well may be intentional, but then I bring back what I've often said about games like Metal Gear Solid V and No More Heroes 2 that also applies to this game - making, designing and writing a game that is deliberately meant to be frustrating to service a larger point doesn't mean it's good just because it's aware of itself.

Maybe it really is for the best that Kodaka leaves this franchise behind him.

Steel

Banned
I'm replaying the prologue just to get things straight atm. Here's what stands out to me as well as some theories based on them:

At the very start of the prologue Kaede has a self narrative about having no form, no voice, and, particularly odd, "no knowledge of who I am". Then there's the moment she reaches out and opens the locker and has a "nice to meet me" moment.

Though, using that clue to then say they had their memories wiped before being in the lockers seems wrong, because Rantaro seems to know what's going on.

Additionally Kaede remembers walking her usual route to school before getting kidnapped, meaning that post locker opening, she has memories of being a normal girl. Addtionally she has a "skill that she devotes herself to" which could be the piano which would play into how she became the ultimate pianist.

On the kidnapping memory, there is one thing that stood out.

1. Nobody reacted to her being kidnapped.
2. She mentions how it made her think about how rotten the world is like that was her conclusion before getting kidnapped, which does play into theory A.

On what Rantaro knows, he does also implies everyone else knows what's going on too, saying there are "16 of us, all high schoolers, what do you think that means?"

However, Rantaro does ask who's behind the killing game when the monokubs show up, which is an odd question to ask if he already knows about Team Danganronpa.

There's one other thing that stands out: When the monokubs show themselves, Kaito asks how they're moving, as if he'd never seen something like it before.

Above all though, there's one thing that really stands out: when Monosuke says that the participants have all forgotten their ultimate talents. At the same time, Montaro does spell out that the ultimate hunt is a backstory, and according to the back story, that's why they've forgotten their talents.

As for the custom change, immediately after it Keebo looks like he's a robot. Not sure what to make of that.

For the prologue there are, I'd say, three plausible possibilities:

A: If what Tsumugi presented is true, the participants had interviews for the possibility of being selected before the prologue. Then, the way they get the participants is by kidnapping them, then corralling them in the gym. They're still clueless as to whether or not they've been selected at this point(Well, Rantaro knows, as does Tsumugi). Then things play out like Tsumugi described, first their outfits are changed and only then they're told that they've been selected for the killing game, what's gonna happen next, then flashback lighted into their new personalities.

B: Tsumugi lied about some things. Danganronpa exists as a reality show as described but: the participants didn't actually willingly sign up for the killing game, they were kidnapped, perhaps because they have some skill in the fields in which they're given ultimate talents in the first place. Rantaro not being sure who set up this particular killing game despite having participated in one in the past and presumably sacrificing himself to become the ultimate survivor lends itself to this explanation.

Now this leads into the videos: They're all taken with a wood floor much like the gym's in the camera light, all at the same angle, presumably all at the same place. So, it's entirely possible that the videos were taped after they'd been subjected to a flashback light, allowing theory B to be true.

C: IT'S ALL LIES! The bit before opening the locker with Kaede not knowing who she even is can support this. They were already flashback lighted before even opening the lockers. There's no way of knowing if anything that happened after that wasn't just set up and Tsumugi could've lied about literally everything.

Y'know there's a sorta tragic realization in Miu's love hotel event which - along with just about her entire character - while played for laughs, shows that she has a seemingly horrible case of abandonment issues. She's like Mikan but worse. It seems she's gone through all her life being bullied and has developed a much more believable psychological complex out of it, where she's aggressive but weak-willed. Even her overly sexual nature could be an extension of that; she's undeniably attractive and probably only finds self-worth in that fact (particularly since she doesn't like her own inventions), and since she gets insulted so much she probably only enjoys sexually derogatory terms because to her they're like an acknowledgement of her own self-perceived strengths rather than a direct attack on her character. That's just brutal.

And, replaying the prologue, it seems that most characters have a very similar personality before getting the flashback light to after, and that's particularly true in miu's case, both in the way she talks and dresses. So, I get the impression that 90% of their memories in their free time events are true.

I mean, I think DRV3 has the weakest structure of any of the mainline DR games, which I think is part of it's point--being a reality show past its prime and all--but that's a very definite your mileage will vary sort of conclusion. I mean, the depth to the characters I think is *there*, but it's not reflected in the actual plot of the game. And I think to a certain extent speaks to the fact that, outside of some specific character arcs, Kodaka didn't exactly have much of an overall *story* to tell beyond the thematicism of truth v. lie/reality v. fiction. Which is part of why he plays up the 'let DR die' aspect, because he's simply tapped the well in terms of stories he wants to tell using DR's setting and structure.

I think everyone agrees that the motivation for the killing game in DR3 was absolute trash. I'd have liked to see an easter egg dealing with its reception in the comments of the audience, in a manner similar to the white noise concerning DR0 after AI Junko's appearance in the final trial of DR2.

What were they saying about DR0? I tended to like the revelations about Junko from that story.

I have a couple options:

1. Go meta-meta fiction and have V3 be a "fictitous game by an edgy writer" in a yet higher narrative universe.

2. Completely and utterly sever itself from the previous installments- drop the 6 chapter structure, drop the Ultimate HS Students setup, just have a bunch of people killing each other in an enclosed space and class trials (and, most likely, monokuma). V3 was exceedingly formulaic in the middle (CH2 features some sort of impulse/ease of access, CH3 double murder with the single most disproportionately characterized person as the killer, in CH4 the killer is relatable, etc.) but I'm not sure how much of that exactly was meant to give off the "reality show past its prime" vibe it was going for. So this might be exciting. I'd still be down day 1 for a gritty, grim, pale Danganronpa game like DR1's beta (DISTRUST).

3. Be a sequel to V3 that isn't called V4, and take place within the killing game obsessed outside world. After Shuichi's success in ending Danganronpa (hopefully), some people/ one madman gathers together a whole random bunch of people and forces them to play a Danganronpa-style killing game. It'd be an interesting meta-layer of narrative to have a cast that knows of V3's ending within the uniV3rse's outside world.

1) Would be disapointing
2) would be boring without monokuma
3) As long as the V is mentionned , we the audience know for sure too much , i don't think i can get invested in characters now

NotLiquid

And, replaying the prologue, it seems that most characters have a very similar personality before getting the flashback light to after, and that's particularly true in miu's case, both in the way she talks and dresses. So, I get the impression that 90% of their memories in their free time events are true.

The theory that every character is just a perversely exaggerated identity of their own original character is one I've pretty much held onto since day one of beating the game. It doesn't make sense for someone like Kaede who according to her audition tape "has no faith in humanity", to help someone like Shuichi, a person she's just met. I think it's more so that unlike Ultimate!Kaede, regular Kaede is just a cynic/realist. The first thing she tells Shuichi to do is to shut up and get a hold of himself, which she does in a really demanding manner, but she apologizes not long after that, showing that there's a part of her that actually does care about people. In contrast, the first thing Ultimate!Kaede tries to do is immediately comfort Shuichi in a friendly manner. The one thing both Kaedes have in common is that they have no trouble being assertive, but Ultimate!Kaede plays up both her ability to be caring and brings a large side of flaws into the forefront with that.

It's kinda why I wish if V3 was going to deconstruct the Danganronpa formula, they'd have gone deeper into the entire concept of Ultimates and making a singular interest be the end-all, be-all to a character's identity. If Keebo was a human, he probably had a fascination with mechas or robots, maybe studying robotics science even. Maki might've had a weapons fixation. It would've been interesting to explore, and perfect for Kaede since she's the one character to have seen the biggest attitude change to the player, and she has a very throwaway "uninteresting" title in contrast to everyone else, especially Shuichi who ends up emboldening the DR concept.

The theory that every character is just a perversely exaggerated identity of their own original character is one I've pretty much held onto since day one of beating the game. It doesn't make sense for someone like Kaede who according to her audition tape "has no faith in humanity", to help someone like Shuichi, a person she's just met. I think it's more so that unlike Ultimate!Kaede, regular Kaede is just a cynic/realist. The first thing she tells Shuichi to do is to shut up and get a hold of himself, which she does in a really demanding manner, but she apologizes not long after that, showing that there's a part of her that actually does care about people. In contrast, the first thing Ultimate!Kaede tries to do is immediately comfort Shuichi in a friendly manner. The one thing both Kaedes have in common is that they have no trouble being assertive, but Ultimate!Kaede plays up both her ability to be caring and brings a large side of flaws into the forefront with that.

It's kinda why I wish if V3 was going to deconstruct the Danganronpa formula, they'd have gone deeper into the entire concept of Ultimates and making a singular interest be the end-all, be-all to a character's identity. If Keebo was a human, he probably had a fascination with mechas or robots, maybe studying robotics science even. Maki might've had a weapons fixation. It would've been interesting to explore, and perfect for Kaede since she's the one character to have seen the biggest attitude change to the player, and she has a very throwaway "uninteresting" title in contrast to everyone else, especially Shuichi who ends up emboldening the DR concept.

I think though DR has always had a self-awareness about the pidgeonholing of people based on their talent; a lot of the time people's personalities or distinctive traits would happen to be completely unrelated to their talent. DR2 in particular deconstructed the idea of the fixation on the 'ultimate', so I dunno if there was much more to be said. Granted, I do think a bit more could've been said at the end about how intrinsically silly the Ultimate concept is.

caliph95

I think though DR has always had a self-awareness about the pidgeonholing of people based on their talent; a lot of the time people's personalities or distinctive traits would happen to be completely unrelated to their talent. DR2 in particular deconstructed the idea of the fixation on the 'ultimate', so I dunno if there was much more to be said. Granted, I do think a bit more could've been said at the end about how intrinsically silly the Ultimate concept is.
I feel like it's one of the thing that was undermined with DR3 and why didn't care for it by having most non ultimate being faceless goons and mobs and being inconsequential and could have done more with that

Ex-Psych

I apologize if this was answered beforehand, but I'm unwilling to search this entire thread.

Did the words on the gate before you enter the hotel/casino mean anything? Or were they just random letters?

As for theories, danganronpa v3 reality dating game is my true canon and you can't tell me otherwise.

FStubbs

It was funny - I thought it was cool that I'd be playing as someone with essentially a useless talent for Danganronpa. Cute girl, cute talent, let's roll.

I'll repeat from earlier that several characters pointed out that whatever martial arts Tenko was using had nothing to do with Aikido.

Top Bottom