• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q Magazine interview tidbits:

GQ interview tidbits:

Jamie is working on a 10 episode Gorillaz tv series
Demon Dayz is coming to Chicago
Damon is recording a new TGTBTQ album

"Putting the z on the end is not a hip hop statement, it's more like an android z. Are we humans or Humanz? What the fuck is wrong with us?"

Damon and Jamie didn't speak for three years after PB. Damon called up Jamie while drunk out of the blue and asked to do a new G album.

Holy shit at all three of these.

"Putting the z on the end is not a hip hop statement, it's more like an android z. Are we humans or Humanz? What the fuck is wrong with us?"

Damon and Jamie didn't speak for three years after PB. Damon called up Jamie while drunk out of the blue and asked to do a new G album.
I've been waiting for this my whole fucking life

Apparently he's also working on merch and Gorillaz clothing line.
If I wasn't broke enough already, fuucckk

Gorillaz

They literally always have an argument after each album and take a breather. I remember people thought they were gone after DD. I think Damon and Jamie get tired of each other after the whole press and tour run.

They will have another argument after humanz drop and won't speak for another 2-3 years and then one day just do it all over again.

CRS

They literally always have an argument after each album and take a breather. I remember people thought they were gone after DD. I think Damon and Jamie get tired of each other after the whole press and tour run.

They will have another argument after humanz drop and won't speak for another 2-3 years and then one day just do it all over again.

yep. it's part of every phase.

When Damon and Jamie DON'T end up in an argument/get fed up with each other at the end of the phase, then we have a problem.

There's a review that got posted on Reddit, it's a scan so I won't post it but it got rated 4/5. Highlights:
-World away from Plastic Beach
-Lack of memorable hooks
-Damon Albarn doesn't take center stage on the album, works in the background.
-charger, let me out, we have the power are Q-Mag's song highlights

Ninhead

There's a review that got posted on Reddit, it's a scan so I won't post it but it got rated 4/5. Highlights:
-Lack of memorable hooks

This is everything I was afraid of.

I expected it to be different from Plastic Beach since they always do that anyway. Lack of memorable hooks is disappointing but, Ascension, Saturnz Barz, Andromeda and Let Me Out are all great so im good. We're also getting an onslaught of Gorillaz stuff from tour to clothing to merch, probably new figures, a show. This is everything I could ever want. Though I bet that clothing line is going to be stupid expensive.

Damon being in the background won't be too bad if he has THE song. First album had clint Eastwood, then we had feel good Inc, then stylo, and in here we need something like that

Andromeda it's great and it might be it. But I won't know till we get the album

DarkKyo

We're also getting an onslaught of Gorillaz stuff from tour to clothing to merch, probably new figures, a show. This is everything I could ever want. Though I bet that clothing line is going to be stupid expensive.

Any news on when this might be yet, or what's the best way to watch for tickets going up? I saw them in Boston for Plastic Beach and there's no way I'm going to miss seeing them for this.

Any news on when this might be yet, or what's the best way to watch for tickets going up? I saw them in Boston for Plastic Beach and there's no way I'm going to miss seeing them for this.
No clue. I'd say wait until the album launches. But there's no way they don't do a big announcement for the tour, the band is absolutely massive but everyone should keep their eyes on tickets because you know that shits going to sell out quick. I missed the plastic beach tour since I was too young, no way I'm missing this.

DarkKyo

No clue. I'd say wait until the album launches. But there's no way they don't do a big announcement for the tour, the band is absolutely massive but everyone should keep their eyes on tickets because you know that shits going to sell out quick. I missed the plastic beach tour since I was too young, no way I'm missing this.

Hmm.. I'll definitely stay vigilant about it. Good luck snagging yours!! The Plastic Beach show I saw is by far my favorite concert I've ever been to.

-Lack of memorable hooks

lack of memorable hooks/melodies is pretty much my impression of the new songs .. none of them have stuck with me

Fjordson

-Lack of memorable hooks
Yeah, sort of what I'm afraid of based on what we've heard. Especially that second point. Andromeda's the only track that's really impressed me melodically.

I'm not worried. I've really dug all the tracks so far, and Hallelujah Money shows there's probably a good amount of tracks that aren't just hip hop/EDM bangers. Saturnz Barz, Ascension, and Andromeda have all been pretty catchy and memorable.

Apart from Andromeda it's certainly a big shift from Plastic Beach's sounds though, for sure.

hughesta

Banned
How can there be a lack of memorable hooks when Saturnz, Ascension, and Andromeda all have memorable hooks

Momentz, Charger, and Carnival do too.

Ran rp

Damon being in the background won't be too bad if he has THE song. First album had clint Eastwood, then we had feel good Inc, then stylo, and in here we need something like that

Andromeda it's great and it might be it. But I won't know till we get the album

It's Submission for me so far.

edit: never mind, misread lol.

Ran rp

-Lack of memorable hooks

The actual quote

'What Humanz lacks in memorable hooks, it makes for in fist-clenching spirit"

XAL

yes to all of this

but what does Demon Dayz coming to Chicago mean?

They're a band defined by one song, "Clint Eastwood".

Could they be any more overrated? I can name ten electronica bands better.

Very edgy opinion guy. Nice dialogue.

Want to bait some more flame?

Fuck out of here go to a forum for dipshit trolls. Thanks.

-Lack of memorable hooks

Cool cool cool, already have heard two of the three.

Not to mention catchy hooks differ from person to person.

Though I admit that none of the songs I've heard have been as immediately identifiable as the breakaway hit single as with the other albums. Going by views it's Saturnz Barz but it might have to do with being the first new video with the characters.

hughesta

Banned
an album doesn't need a hit single to be a good record. People in this thread are concerned about the wrong thing. I'd love for Gorillaz to be a cultural phenomenon again but the way things are now in the industry it isn't easy to do that while putting out truly great records.

For what it's worth, Damon is on this album more than Plastic Beach.

I never said it wouldn't be a good record without a hit single. I just said I've been able to identify which song would be the one based on my tastes or the closest to it before and I can't find it here quite yet.

The Demon Days Live version gives me chills every time. Chills

Shit. Need to check this out rn.

Hooooooly shit...incredible. Literally have to go see them LIVE this year...even if it means going to Chicago (never been). Think they'll be more "Demon Days" locations announced soon?

I like Andromeda, but the opening drumbeat for the first 18 seconds is so distracting to me. It sounds like a Homestar Runner beat on a toy piano. Everything beyond that is lovely, but when those drums come in immediately after listening to Saturnz Barz, it's just a jarring tonal shift.

Looking forward to hearing it in the album context though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom