• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, apparently Damon is still working on the unfinished songs from Humanz, which is in line with what I posted the other day of them continuing work.

I think the guys are going to be around for a few years
Man this Is everything I could ever ask for.

Also, apparently Damon is still working on the unfinished songs from Humanz, which is in line with what I posted the other day of them continuing work.

I think the guys are going to be around for a few years
Man this Is everything I could ever ask for.

Until they get sick of each other and ice the project for a few years. Don't do this to yourself lmao

SilentRob

Soooo a few days ago my girlfriend organized a small get together with our friends. Expected it to be just that, a nice evening, eating and hanging out with awesome people.

Ater a few hours they suddenly asked me to come into another room and wished me happy birthday...but my birthday isn't until the middle of june. Then they gave me a rucksack. Travel expenses. And my girlfriend held up her phone showing this:

8pvoPJc.jpg

She got me a ticket for the sold out "Demon Dayz"-Festival in the UK :O HO-LY FUCK. I was lucky enough to see Gorillaz live in Berlin during their Plastic Beach tour and it was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Maybe that sounds weird to some people, but it really was that special to me. I have rewatched the Demon Days Live-DVD countless times. This is fucking amazing \o/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Soooo a few days ago my girlfriend organized a small get together with our friends. Expected it to be just that, a nice evening, eating and hanging out with awesome people.

Ater a few hours they suddenly asked me to come into another room and wished me happy birthday...but my birthday isn't until the middle of june. Then they gave me a rucksack. Travel expenses. And my girlfriend held up her phone showing this:

8pvoPJc.jpg

She got me a ticket for the sold out "Demon Dayz"-Festival in the UK :O HO-LY FUCK. I was lucky enough to see Gorillaz live in Berlin during their Plastic Beach tour and it was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Maybe that sounds weird to some people, but it really was that special to me. I have rewatched the Demon Days Live-DVD countless times. This is fucking amazing \o/

Man this must be your year with Automata and this!

This was awesome.

Some interesting bits for those who can't listen:

-confirms Twilight Tone as co-producer, a return to having someone do production after Albarn self produced Plastic Beach. Likely because Damon said in another interview that making such a club/hip hop focused record was hard for him, so he needed someone experienced with beats. TT was responsible for the beats, and Damon did the chords.
-Some of the sounds on the album come from Damon's iPad ala The Fall.
-Andromeda was inspired by the death of his partner's mother (and Bobby Womack). It's about the people you know dying and remembering all the good that they did before.
-Damons vocals were improvised and recorded in one take. He spent a year trying to perfect the song and used a bunch of different collaborators, and recorded a much more DRAM heavy version. But ultimately his first try was the best, but he kept some of the DRAM backing vocals and bridge.

So is Demon Dayz Fest the name for their tour or will it be a separate entity (i.e. Demon Dayz Festivals and Humanz Tour)?

Either way if they hit any major city within 500 miles, I will have myself a very nice vacation and for-sure see them. They are my #1 band I want to see live.

Qasiel

8pvoPJc.jpg

Awesome! Meet you at the bar? :D

Zubz

Banned
I mean, I disagree with the first part...

But yeah, everybody should listen to Deltron 3030. It's a great record.

Ignoring that little kerfuffle, I must agree. Del isn't who made Gorrilaz, but he's fantastic.

Q Magazine interview tidbits:

Jamie is working on a 10 episode Gorillaz tv series
Demon Dayz is coming to Chicago
Damon is recording a new TGTBTQ album

"Putting the z on the end is not a hip hop statement, it's more like an android z. Are we humans or Humanz? What the fuck is wrong with us?"

Damon and Jamie didn't speak for three years after PB. Damon called up Jamie while drunk out of the blue and asked to do a new G album.

I don't know how I feel about the TV series. I've wanted something like that for years, but I want to see how the metaseries plays out this time around before getting too excited. That said, those 4 "Book of"'s have me a bit hopeful.

Until they get sick of each other and ice the project for a few years. Don't do this to yourself lmao

Part of me still hopes that unreleased PB material surfaces somehow someday.

When was the last time they toured as the Gorillaz? Where did they go? I'm hoping they'll tour again for Humanz, but I have doubts they'll come anywhere actually close to me.

Ah hell, not even close lol. I figured. If they tour again I will probably have to do some real traveling.
That's the boat I'm in. I'm fully ready to have a vacation revolve around attending one of their concerts but the way their marketing is going it seems like Gorillaz is going harder for Humanz (tv show, Demon Dayz festival, all new clothing line and merch) than their Plastic Beach run. So I would expect maybe a few more locales (but probably wont stop in any place that is not a major city/populace).

The live version explicitly mentions them in the lyrics and they use a similar censor in Ascension when they mention Obama. It's to make the track suit multiple contexts and not just be about one specific thing.

The thing about the lyrics, is that Obama and Trump are both said once each, and the second censor isn't a name. Which makes me think it's for style purposes and will be the same on the album. I remember when the song came out people thought it wouldn't be.

[Obama] is gone who is left to save us
[So together] we mourn, I'm praying for our neighbors.

Then in a later line Trump is censored. I'm assuming those lyrics are right because they would've been changed by now.

Also, this bit from Pusha T's interview about the song is really interesting

Pusha T said that, when Albarn first contacted him about the collaboration in spring 2016, he told him ”to conceptualize the album, you know, like the album's a party for the end of the world, like if Trump were to win." At the time, Trump had not yet earned the Republican nomination for president.

”I mean, I didn't even want to think about it, but that did give me a very colorful backdrop into just being like, say anything and attack all issues that I wanted to attack and attack in the song," Pusha said. ”So when it really happened, I was like, ‘Wait a minute.' And then I started wondering like, what type of crystal ball did this guy have?

So I'm writing a script right now and some Gorillaz music is heavily used, but I'm trying to find a "happy" sounding Gorillaz song...which song gives you that happy feeling on the inside?

Thinking:

Feel Good Inc. but the words conflict with the tone of the music itself (not dissing the song :lol)
5/4 ???
We Are a Happy Landfill ???
Clint Eastwood ???

Leaning towards Clint Eastwood but I want something more upbeat???

CRS

So I'm writing a script right now and some Gorillaz music is heavily used, but I'm trying to find a "happy" sounding Gorillaz song...which song gives you that happy feeling on the inside?

Thinking:

Feel Good Inc. but the words conflict with the tone of the music itself (not dissing the song :lol)
5/4 ???
Clint Eastwood ???

The only right answer

19/2000

Ran rp

Thinking:

5/4 ???
Clint Eastwood ???

brehs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXR-bCF5dbM

Moozo

Thinking:

5/4 ???
Clint Eastwood ???

Superfast Jellyfish is made for this

Thinking:

5/4 ???
Clint Eastwood ???

Feel Good Inc, it's literally right in the title.

It's Dare, or 19/2000

Superfast Jellyfish is made for this

Feel Good Inc, it's literally right in the title.

For real, it's either 19/2000 or Dare.

Superfast Jellyfish is top 10 Gorillaz songs for me, but it doesn't exactly fit?

Feel Good Inc. is the obvious choice but I want to see if I'm missing something. Dare is to mellow I think. 19/2000 soulchild remix may be what I'm looking for. Need something that makes you wanna dance.

mac-boy

Superfast Jellyfish is top 10 Gorillaz songs for me, but it doesn't exactly fit?

Feel Good Inc. is the obvious choice but I want to see if I'm missing something. Dare is to mellow I think. 19/2000 soulchild remix may be what I'm looking for. Need something that makes you wanna dance.
I second the soulchild remix and also wanted to mention maybe try rock the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom