• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ninja Gaiden 3 Details (60 FPS, 8 Player Multi, Co-Op/Versus, More)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Connection is a slow 1-bar 3G, so tell me.... what is your reaction to the 30 minute OXM playthrough?

Grinchy

Banned
Only really checked out the 8 player co-op thing, but damn this game is looking cool so far. I had kinda given up on the franchise, but now I have to admit I'm interested. Gonna watch the 30 minute video now.

I still don't really understand how Move is going to work with this game though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
He played the game on it's easiest setting. I didn't see him do the Izuna Drop one time and the Flying Swallow looks to be replaced with a stab that's guaranteed kill every time. There was also some screen tearing on Ninpo attacks and some QTEs IIRC - I didn't see any slowdown though.

Edit - Looks like they're trying to broaden the audience. They show Ryu's face in the opening scene and he speaks English and goes to London. To be fair, I think they're trying to please fans of the Itagaki games while bringing in new players. Some people will probably hate it, but I think it still looks fun. It's looking to be a pure action game rather than a blend of puzzles, platforming, etc.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Watching the 30 minute video.

Graphically this game looks fantastic. Easily the best art direction an NG game has ever seen.

Still not a fan of the QTE stuff like the wall climbing, but the finishing moves aren't much different than the finishers in NG2 and parts of the game actually look faster than NG2, which was already fast as shit.

After watching that I'm back on board with this game pretty much 100%. It's looking good.

Watching the 30 minute video.

Graphically this game looks fantastic. Easily the best art direction an NG game has ever seen.

Still not a fan of the QTE stuff like the wall climbing, but the finishing moves aren't much different than the finishers in NG2 and parts of the game actually look faster than NG2, which was already fast as shit.

After watching that I'm back on board with this game pretty much 100%. It's looking good.

That's just the tutorial isn't it? It's just telling you thats R1 for right arm and L1 for left arm. Not much of a QTE.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Yea, I guess so. Still it takes way too long and seems tedious. Hopefully it only happens a few times throughout the whole game.

Either way it's small enough that I can overlook it. The rest of the game is looking fantastic.

Skilletor

Was it the video or did that framerate get sluggish when he was getting bombarded by missiles?

Still not sure of the game, but willing to give it a shot. The DoA demo doesn't hurt.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I like my games decapp, just how I like my coffee, but in this instance, replace coffee with limbs.
A pool of blood is good too, I just hope they reinsert severed heads. Really liking the 60 fps, not many console games can pull that off nowadays.

untitled-1vvrw7.png

Oh god.

TreIII

As much as I was thrilled to hear that they got the original scenario writer from the NES games, Masato Kato, back on board, I'm still not sure about this game as an action title.

I'll at least see how some more impressions take to the game, before completely writing it off, however.

Ehhh.... I don't know. I'm a huge NG fan and this one really isn't doing anything for me. Thought the multiplayer vid looked awful, but then I'm not really a multiplayer sort of person.

Teknoman

As much as I was thrilled to hear that they got the original scenario writer from the NES games, Masato Kato, back on board, I'm still not sure about this game as an action title.

I'll at least see how some more impressions take to the game, before completely writing it off, however.

They got the original NES writer? Cool, so thats why the plot in general seems like it sort of makes sense in a 90s action movie kind of way. More sense than the last 2 games anyway.

benzy

I don't understand why this has got people upset. In Ninja Gaiden Black, Ryu was lounging around in the Airship bedroom when he was on his way to Tairon.

I don't think he's referring to Ryu riding in a jeep. Look at the subtitle captions, it's pretty similar to an overused meme on GAF.

ezekial45

Banned
I don't think he's referring to Ryu riding in a jeep. Look at the subtitle captions, it's pretty similar to an overused meme on GAF.
Ah, I see. I'm on my phone and couldn't see. Though I do remember Ryu riding in te jeep being talked about earlier.

SHAZOOM

I think the game shows promise. It won't be the pinnacle of VIOLENT VIOLENCE that NG2 was, but its got a bit of the NG1 vibe where things kind of escalate in a more even fashion with spikes of tough mid-boss encounters. (though that robot spider is way too easy). The masked redhooded figure gives me that Ashtar/Jacquo vibe, and the agent girl a bit of Irene Lew.

The only thing I'm worried about is if they took out the shurikens. I haven't seen any gameplay of anyone mixing in shurikens with combos to put enemies into stun guard. Also, they should have implemented the invisible/stealth camo effect from the Multiplayer vid into the main game during those stealth sections, but maybe add a more impressive visual effect when he transitions into invisibility.

ezekial45

Banned
The shurikens are there, but you have a limited number of them in the multiplayer mode. Like you only use it 2-3 times before you run out.

I guess that's probably why the ground textures aren't so hot for that sand level. 60fps is what matters.

I did think you wrote 'The story is gone' though ;P

SHAZOOM

Okay, that's good to hear. That multiplayer mode may become a cluster-fuck of ninpo/flying swallow/izuna drops. Don't know how to feel about that.

This and MGS Rising I'll probably pick up. DmC is gonna get a "when its $5" just from my impressions of Enslaved/Heavenly Sword.

Defunkled

Whoa, as in the man who worked on Chrono Trigger/Cross?! That Masato Kato?!

I think the game shows promise. It won't be the pinnacle of VIOLENT VIOLENCE that NG2 was, but its got a bit of the NG1 vibe where things kind of escalate in a more even fashion with spikes of tough mid-boss encounters. (though that robot spider is way too easy). The masked redhooded figure gives me that Ashtar/Jacquo vibe, and the agent girl a bit of Irene Lew.

Irene's already in the series, Sonia in NG2 was actually Irene (as stated in DOA: Dimensions).

Darkmakaimura

From the previous videos I've seen, NG3 doesn't seem to compare to the first two. They actually look very bland, which worries me. Again, I'm not able to view this 30 minute gameplay footage right now, but do the graphics really seem up to par?

SHAZOOM

Irene's already in the series, Sonia in NG2 was actually Irene (as stated in DOA: Dimensions).

Yeh, but Sonja was kind of, well, useless (other than being the helicopter/ride driver). I'm not saying the new girl will be more useful, but at least she looks the part of a CIA/Intelligence Organization contact.

I know it was Itagaki's take on Irene, but damn was it so inconsequential to ANYTHING that was happening in NG2 story wise. Same with Rachel, to a certain extent in NG1 (other than having a FUCKYOUDIE Fiend Sister boss) . Mind you I'm not playing for story in the Itagaki NGs, but why even bother having the characters if there just going to be princesses-in-another castle? Just go ape shit with a Ninja Gaiden Arcade kind of story where Ryu wrecks people's shit on a cross country tour of the world.

If there's one thing that I can give a thumbs up to is that Hayashi seems to have a thing for making female characters that don't look like BDSM Mistresses if he can help it. Don't know if the characterization will be good, but Momiji/New Agent girl have character designs that reflect what a actual female would wear.

Anyway, rambling a bit. Looking forward to when a demo of NG3 will be available and test driving it.

SHAZOOM

From the previous videos I've seen, NG3 doesn't seem to compare to the first two. They actually look very bland, which worries me. Again, I'm not able to view this 30 minute gameplay footage right now, but do the graphics really seem up to par?

Up to par being? The Itagaki NGs weren't exactly the prettiest games (at least NG2 wasn't, NG1 was impressive for OG Xbox/last gen). The character models in NG3 look like they have more texture/slight normal mapping added, sort of like the Sigma versions on the PS3.

goldenpp72

Honestly as a huge NG fan (beat black and ng2 360 on master, even beat master mission mode in ng2) this looks fine, it's not what I hoped, but it still looks like one of the best action games out there. Sad to say I assume bayonetta will be the better game, but this doesn't quite look like the abomination many claim either.

Darkmakaimura

Up to par being? The Itagaki NGs weren't exactly the prettiest games (at least NG2 wasn't, NG1 was impressive for OG Xbox/last gen). The character models in NG3 look like they have more texture/slight normal mapping added, sort of like the Sigma versions on the PS3.
Up to par meaning at least with NG2. From the videos I viewed previously, many of the environments seemed very bland. The first stage (the one in London) was very dark, even for a night level. The fight inside the room with the Regent of the Mask was particularly bland. The graphics seem a big notch down from the previous game. Again, these are things that might be/have been addressed and fixed. I'm just simply going by what I've seen so far.

Do you think there will be other playable characters in the story mode?

I was against it in the Sigmas, but considering Ryu is Dragon Sword-only this time out, I probably would welcome the variety D:

Giolon

Momiji's back?! Sold!

lol, not quite. I haven't been liking the direction this game has been taking, but returning other characters from the NG universe makes me happy.

Happy enough to buy it? Probably not.

Floex

Having been burnt so badly from II and seeing the quicktime events in the threequel has left this pretty much under the radar for me...

...but the latest batch of videos, have to say, it's actually look quite great. Really do hope they can capture some of the magic that made the first one so good

Top Bottom