• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

CamHostage

I have all sorts of surround sound options in my home, but I often go with my PlayStation Gold headsets because of convenienxe. And while no, it is not as great as other options, it's still good, and I am still perfectly able to discern the location of sounds in the games, which is much of the point.

I've been out of this interest for a while after not getting what I wanted, but can somebody sum up real quick what is the state of directional audio in headphones these days? I know Bluetooth still doesn't have a surround feature to its spec (which wouldn't matter anyway since Sony's headphone lines don't have multiple audio drivers,) so everything you get from these devices is stereo signal with virtualized positioning, correct? What's the quality range in competitors to Sony's products as far as positioning effects, are there headphones that really give you a good sense of space and make it worth it? (I almost never get to turn on my surround sound at my place anymore, I'd love to have something that had positional effects, good sound, and the simple convenience of slipping headphones on, but for whatever reason I wrote the tech off because of the breakout boxes and sound quality complaints and other nuisances.)

(BTW, maybe this is port-begging, but I still lament that PSP and now Vita never adopted Dolby Headphone or Sony's 3D headphone audio tech. Even the DS had some surround effects, I expected audio to have been a bit more of a priority for Sony with Vita, especially since Sony was getting into the gaming headphones business around the same time the handheld launched.)

McBryBry

Have gold headset, confirmed no problems. I'll consider this one, it looks pretty nice. I love using my Gold wirelessly on my computer and PlayStation.

GOOCHY

I guess I'm going to be in on these. My golds just started cracking across the head band. I'm super delicate with them, too.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I guess I'm going to be in on these. My golds just started cracking across the head band. I'm super delicate with them, too.

not worth it man. after my pulse elites, I was like "oh the golds can't be that much worse". Don't give them any more money for these disposable headphones.

they just crack from putting the on and off your head. mine are the same way... never dropped them, heck they never even move around my place... they basically sit in the same spot over soft carpet, get worn, and go back there. not sure if i've even taken them to another room other than maybe worn them into the kitchen haha let alone transported them somewhere, so they've basically have zero wear and tear other than general use...

and barely 10 months in (though I use them a lot since i game/work from the same office and use them to listen to music too) they're cracked in 5 different spots. only held together by duct tape now (cuz i'm sure as heck at least getting 1 year out of the pos).

These look nice. Especially the finish on the cups. I wonder why Sony didn't use a similar design philosophy for the Slim and Pro. Considering the drastic changes in the PS3 revisions I don't think maintaining a similar look would be necessary.

Gunharp

Shoooot, they can do better for $159!

Why is Sony is so adamant on using hidden microphones with these wireless headsets? Like what is wrong with a pull out boom or something? The convenience of headsets, allowing you to avoid using separate hardware or having to modify some cans with an AntLion mic is great. But if the mic sucks... aagghh... which I am more than sure these are going to.

I really feel like they're not leveraging the right internal groups when designing these headsets. Just look at this line up:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/headphones/t/headband-headphones?cid=sem-na-274

I'd appreciate some more traditional design.

Hmm.. I was expecting something a bit more high end (i.e. sturdy) for the Platinums.

I guess I'll hold out hope for Platinum Elites or something lol

Edit: Or maybe Platinum Pro

dedhead54

I haven't had any of the build quality issues with my Gold's, like a lot of posters here. I've had them coming up on two years now. These would have to have a significantly better overall sound quality for me to upgrade at this price. Don't care about VSS/3D. . VSS on the Gold's sounds awful. These do look less fragile to me, though.

Magwik

Banned
It's in the op man. Lol
It wasn't there when the thread went up yesterday! And I think $125 USD is probably the sweet spot for this thing. Then again I only grabbed my Golds when Target accidentally sold them for $40 on Black Friday

Raylan

Banned
I haven't had any of the build quality issues with my Gold's, like a lot of posters here. I've had them coming up on two years now. These would have to have a significantly better overall sound quality for me to upgrade at this price. Don't care about VSS/3D. . VSS on the Gold's sounds awful. These do look less fragile to me, though.

Yep, mine works just fine. Never broke, etc. But one of my best friends destroyed his USB dongle. Now he doesn't know what to do. lmao

RedAssedApe

Banned
Shoooot, they can do better for $159!

Why is Sony is so adamant on using hidden microphones with these wireless headsets? Like what is wrong with a pull out boom or something? The convenience of headsets, allowing you to avoid using separate hardware or having to modify some cans with an AntLion mic is great. But if the mic sucks... aagghh... which I am more than sure these are going to.

I really feel like they're not leveraging the right internal groups when designing these headsets. Just look at this line up:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/headphones/t/headband-headphones?cid=sem-na-274

I'd appreciate some more traditional design.

yeah...a removable boom mic would be nice. The LS30s do it right. They have the hidden mics which can be used when you have the boom unplugged. they always skim on the accessories though...aren't their profit margins pretty high on these things?

Deku Tree

Does it have the same USB to plug into the PS4? Does it also have the same crappy irreplaceable plastic hinge in the middle inside that breaks on many many people with no choice but to buy a new one or use duct tape?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Does it have the same USB to plug into the PS4? Does it also have the same crappy irreplaceable plastic hinge in the middle inside that breaks on many many people with no choice but to buy a new one or use duct tape?

It's a USB dongle. Check out the images from Engadget a page back. No one knows how sturdy the folding hinges will be. The design of them at least looks different.

Metfanant

I've never personally had any problems with my Gold's, but they are not the sturdiest headset I've ever used...I like them because they sound decent (in stereo mode anyway..I think they sound like trash in "surround" mode)..they are super convenient, and I really like the look of the Gold's

These look nice, but i do hope they are made from some better materials than the Gold's are...

I'm thinking I might grab a new headset for when my Pro arrives, and donate the Gold's along with my PS4 to my brother...

But I'll probably will go with one of the other options in this price range

Arulan

Despite all the messaging against headsets, their poor value, and even poorer audio quality, people still buy them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Despite all the messaging against headsets, their poor value, and even poorer audio quality, people still buy them.

People value convenience.

Audio quality also much harder for most people to tell the difference. Even pros can't pick the higher quality source between compressed and uncompressed audio often.

JP

I think the 3D Audio tag is only to let people know that they'll be able to use it with PlayStation VR.

Any stereo headset will work with 3D audio as it's just a standard stereo signal and the headset isn't relevant. You can stream 3D audio now if you want by searching for videos on YouTube, obviously YouTube doesn't employ head tracking though so it's 3D audio from a fixed position.

It's worth trying though if you're unsure just how good 3D audio can be. :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think the 3D Audio tag is only to let people know that they'll be able to use it with PlayStation VR.

Any stereo headset will work with 3D audio as it's just a standard stereo signal and the headset isn't relevant. You can stream 3D audio now if you want by searching for videos on YouTube, obviously YouTube doesn't employ head tracking though so it's 3D audio from a fixed position.

It's worth trying though if you're unsure just how good 3D audio can be. :)

If it's the same Sony vss as the golds... 😭

JP

If it's the same Sony vss as the golds... ��
Virtual Surround is nothing to do with 3D audio.

EDIT:
Do you mean they're using "3D Audio" to describe something that isn't actually 3D Audio? They're using it to describe the virtual surround solution?

EDIT 2:
It doesn't sound like that in the spec sheet as they mention the proprietary 3D audio tech that PSVR uses.

JP

The vss button on one of the cans appears to be labeled 3D audio/vss
Ah, they're certainly not the first company to do that. 3D Audio is a specific end to end solution though.

This is actually what 3D audio is and what they use in PSVR. The end to end process uses algorithms to mimic what happens when we actually hear things, it mimics how the audio as it passes through our heads, how it changes as it travels down our ears canals. Virtual surround does a very different thing in a very different way as it attempts to mimic positional audio.

Try this with a pair of headphones on. The better the headphones the better it will sound, obviously. It's better if you close your eyes too as you don't have a VR headset dealing with what your eyes see - The Interrogation Chamber (YouTube)

Obviously it's a bit different in VR as it's all digitally and it alters the audio in real time as you move your head. :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ah, they're certainly not the first company to do that. 3D Audio is a specific end to end solution though.

This is actually what 3D audio is and what they use in PSVR. The end to end process uses algorithms to mimic what happens when we actually hear things, it mimics how the audio as it passes through our heads, how it changes as it travels down our ears canals. Virtual surround does a very different thing in a very different way as it attempts to mimic positional audio.

Try this with a pair of headphones on. The better the headphones the better it will sound, obviously. It's better if you close your eyes too as you don't have a VR headset dealing with what your eyes see - The Interrogation Chamber (YouTube)

Obviously it's a bit different in VR as it's all digitally and it alters the audio in real time as you move your head. :)

Yeah I've listened to that and virtual barbershop before. Both super corny but still makes my skin crawl when the dude sounds like he's whispering in your ear. It's a great effect. Scared for horror games in vr 😰

Marvel

could never
I'll pass, my Golds never broke but sure felt like they would at any moment. The 7.1 sound was also not to my liking.

These look a bit more comfortable though.

JP

Yeah I've listened to that and virtual barbershop before. Both super corny but still makes my skin crawl when the dude sounds like he's whispering in your ear. It's a great effect. Scared for horror games in vr ��
I love it. VR makes it so much more real though because it's perfectly natural to move your head and it takes that into account and the sounds staying where you expect them to be when you turn your head adds so much to the experience.

I haven't tried it but it always takes me to Capcom's The Kitchen VR demo and seeing people absolutely terrified by what was happening.

Fisty

Dammit, I have this on preorder and paid off, I was expecting this and Pro in the same week. What the hell is the hold up, my PSVR needs this

Cube

Ive always wanted to enjoy cover all headphones but I always wind up getting overheated in them. I don't know if this a common issue, but I have to stick to earbuds for longer sessions.

Gold headset developed cracks in the band using it for psvr the first few days. Switched that it for a Plantronics one for vr, but for regular gashes, my Pulse Elite headband is now flaking off.

Was hoping this would be out in time for Christmas.

mileS

This thing is going to snap right off right there.

My Gold Headset sure did.

Yeah. Surely there could have been a better way of doing them. It's a widespread known issue with the last set and these look similar enough to scare me from buying.

My Gold's are still okay but I baby them. Only bent them in once or twice, careful putting them on my head/ laying them down.

Brock2621

Resurrection: Does anyone have a link to impressions on this thing? I've preordered it but was wanting to read or watch some audio impressions with it in combination with vr. Were these on display with any demos at PSX by chance?

Fisty

Resurrection: Does anyone have a link to impressions on this thing? I've preordered it but was wanting to read or watch some audio impressions with it in combination with vr. Were these on display with any demos at PSX by chance?

Yep they were showing them off at PSX
behind a sealed glass case, bastards

They look really good, very high end. That's my impression from PSX lol. It just pisses me off that these are probably just sitting in a warehouse waiting for the arbitrarily delayed launch.

Top Bottom