• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

I was right about DUST 514 getting promoted somewhere. The US standard bundle comes with $30 free content for the game.

8000836491_f267140f72_z.jpg

I don't see why they are promoting a beta... it makes no sense. The game is in a sorry state right now.

EDIT:

Australia Playstation Blog hints at a redesigned PSN Store in October.

To tie in with the launch, PlayStation Store for PS3 is set to get a new look from October 2012 too, making it even easier for you to find and download the content you love from the comfort of your sofa.

http://www.psnstores.com/2012/09/new-playstation-store-coming-in-october/

Man

I don't see why they are promoting a beta... it makes no sense. The game is in a sorry state right now.
Sad to hear it's not all that. I played the Beta in March and it was rough...

The game is currently in Beta yes but everyone who wants can join in (as I understand it) so in one way it's already launched. It has also been possible to buy ingame currency & stuff since May on the PS Store I believe.

Damn.. Jeff was right.

I don't think there is a single thing that Jeff speculated about the new PS3 that is correct.
As phosphor112 said we don't know and the Technoblog pictures, which I think are fake, would point to little difference except 1.1 pounds lighter and a cheaper blu-ray drive, that's the popular opinion.

There are multiple points of information that support features not in the current PS3s.

1) Power modes and EPA Goldstar rating
2) Kinect like interface for a depth camera (Digitimes PS4 rumor and Sony publishing a depth camera patent)
3) HDMI pass-thru (leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint Xbox 361 for ATSC 2.0 XTV so Sony might do the same. NASNE can support ATSC 2.0 and cable XTV better so this is not locked)

# 1 above is the big one as it means the 16 gig flash drive is in all PS3 4000 chassis and used for the OS and swapping the HTML5 stack in and out of memory. The PS4 appears to have a 16 gig SSD flash also for the same reason (allows the Hard Disk to sleep reducing power at the Menu screen).

Read the posts on the page above you!

Sony knowing (remember Sony and Microsoft were part of the group that helped set the ATSC 2.0 standards) that ATSC is going to be authorized/implemented late 2012 through first quarter 2013 would impact the design of the PS3 4000 chassis being released at the end of 2012.

Sony Media Fusion proposal http://www.atsc.org/cms/pdf/pt2/Naohisa-Kitazato-Next-Generation-Broadcast.pdf

Broadcasters Perspective on ATSC 2.0 http://www.ieee-bmsb2012.org/images/program/BMSB2012_Keynote_3_Connected_TV_Chernock.pdf

What should it have?

1) HDMI pass-thru
2) Complete redesign to comply with EPA Gold Star third tier Power modes also voluntarily required July 2012
3) a modern browser (Confirmed)
4) Skype or something like Skype
5) Voice recognition
6) Depth camera for more accurate gesture recognition.
7) Software to support an OTA digital tuner or accessories that do this connected to the home network (Confirmed Nasne)
8) Software similar to Google TV with ATSC 2.0 XTV extensions
9) DLNA/RVU/DTCP-IP software support (Confirmed)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't think there is a single thing that Jeff speculated about the new PS3 that is correct.
Agreed. Jeff got me so hyped for this new model and then... nothing but a price increase. Weak.

What's the EPA star rating?
Clicking on the link in bigtroyjon's cite of my post takes you to the below.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488843

Energy Star EPA sponsored Voluntary compliance standards Three tiers starting with tier 1 2010

Notice the third tier of Game Console Energy Star specs went into effect July 1 2012. FCC filing for the PS3 4000 chassis July 2012.

One of the arguments for a total redesign of both PS3 and Xbox 360 was low power modes being mandated by California within about 18 months. Either it's done at this refresh @ 32nm or the next @ 22nm. I just discovered that the EPA energy Star Voluntary compliance third tier was schedule for July 1 2012 and the PS3 4000 chassis FCC listing also occurred July 2012. That makes this refresh more likely for a total redesign.

Tier two requirement
auto power down requirement said:
After 1 hour of user inactivity** On resume, console returns to previous mode console was in. After an auto-wake event, must return to APD. When operating games published after Tier 2 eff date, console must save user’s place in game and return to that place upon resume from sleep.
A SSD drive might make Tier two support faster and more reliable (Hard Disk warning).

Tier 3 standards Game Console Energy Star Requirements
Auto power off
Standby power .5W
Active navigation menu 35W
Active streaming Media 45W

The PS3 3000 chassis consumes
Standby .5W
Active Navigation Menu 61 watts
Playing game 72-79 watts

Xbox 360S Valhalla
Standby
67 watts at the dashboard
80 watts while gaming.

Both Xbox 361 and PS3 4000 chassis would have to drop from about 60 watts to 35 watts for Active Navigation Menu. That is a dramatic drop that would require a total redesign with GPU Zero power (AMD's Zero power for GPU is 5 watts and only supported by a more modern GPU than in the Xbox 360S and for sure RSX) and a partial shutdown of some of the CPUs (Cell can't partially shutdown but individual 1PPU3SPU CPU packages could).

Since we are going to see the Xbox 361 and PS3 4000 chassis sold to casual gamers and XTV-IPTV users, Energy Star would be a sales necessity or rather not being Energy Star rated when WiiU complies would be a serious disadvantage.

Both Xbox and PS3 are getting a refresh in 2012, for the first time ever at the same time and Third tier EPA Goldstar specs went into effect this year.

There are three rumor cites stating a new Xbox is coming and my Linkedin cite of a IBM employee FINISHING the design of a Xbox 360 refresh @32nm. Oban from SimiAccurate is a 32nm SOI IBM-AMD joint venture build of a SoC for Microsoft that started tapeout at IBM Dec 2011 with 10,000 wafers and GloFlo8 producing the same SoC starting in March. Charlie at SimiAccurate states it's the Xbox 720 SoC and I disagree, it's the Xbox 360 refresh SoC.

OK Speculation time: A total redesign using modern hardware to comply with 35 watts at an active menu screen means both can no longer hardware emulate their old hardware, they will have to software emulate features and timing. Given faster - cheaper- more efficient hardware what would you do with it, how much would you fragment the console? Given only gameside has to emulate a PS3 or Xbox 360, I.E. the XMB can be running native with faster more efficient hardware with more memory. The reserved memory for the OS can be larger to support X game chat for instance only on newer PS3 4000 chassis and Vita...do you fragment the userbase by allowing features not possible on older consoles?

herod said:
Face it Tiger said:
Damn.. Jeff was right.
?
Just about PS3 browser update schedule tied to NEW PSN launch supporting SVG. We will have to wait for other speculation to be proved.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-19-sony-shocks-world-and-announces-ps3-super-duper-slim said:
PlayStation (CECH-4000 series)
Product name - PlayStation 3
Release date - UK: September 28th, 2012 (HDD 500GB), October 12th , 2012 (Flash Memory 12GB)
Product code - CECH-4000series (Charcoal Black / Classic White)
CPU - Cell Broadband Engine
GPU - RSX

Audio output - LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
Memory - 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Storage size - CECH-4000A: Flash Memory 12GB, CECH-4000B: HDD 500GB1
Inputs/Outputs - USB 2.0
Networking - Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) × 1, IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth® 2.0 (EDR)
Controller - Wireless Controller Bluetooth
AV output - Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
HDMI OUT connector - 1
AV MULTI OUT connector - 1
Digital out (optical) connector - 1
BD/DVD/CD drive (read only)
Maximum read rate - BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
Power - AC 220 - 240, 50/60Hz
Power consumption - Approx. 190W
External dimensions - (excluding maximum projecting part ) Approx. 290 × 60 × 230 mm (width × height × length)
Mass - Approx. 2.1kg
Included - PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DualShock 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1
This makes my speculation on a PS3 complete redesign @32nm at this refresh totally wrong. PS3 will not Voluntarily comply with the third tier Gold star rating. Next refresh at 22nm in two years they will have to as California will require Game Console power ratings. It also means BC for the PS4 is less likely, PS3 and Xbox 360 are not sharing the same core SoC. Edit: Looking at the list I see "(Flash Memory 12GB)" which differs from the FCC listing from Sony. Is the above a Sony release or compiled by Eurogamer? If from Eurogamer there might be assumptions in the list.

This leaves the Xbox 360 with a massive advantage till the next refresh.

Technoblog pictures were accurate, Press release from Sony of the PS3 4K http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-playstation-3-2012-official-press-shots/#5297234 No HDMI pass-thru and no separate Depth camera input.

Caffer

Neo Member
from the ps blog:

"owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket"

Does anyone know if the mounting bracket is included in the bundle or sold separately?
i was hoping for a price drop anyway to replace my noisy 60GB ps3.. :(

Theonik

from the ps blog:

"owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket"

Does anyone know if the mounting bracket is included in the bundle or sold separately?
i was hoping for a price drop anyway to replace my noisy 60GB ps3.. :(
Them mentioning it makes me thing the answer is that it's not included and sold as an accessory. The 250GB and 500GB must have one pre-installed though.

Maybe it's like the 360 Slims where you're supposed to have that harness, but you could maybe ghetto rig it if you have to.
Doesn't that confirm, not having the bracket for a 12 gig SSD drive version that you can use to mount the larger drive, that the SSD nand is on the motherboard?

Doesn't that confirm, not having the bracket for a 12 gig SSD drive version that you can use to mount the larger drive, that the SSD nand is on the motherboard?

We know all models have the 12GBs flash built in. It's in the official specs for all models. It is not accessible while a hard drive is installed.

We know all models have the 12GBs flash built in. It's in the official specs for all models. It is not accessible while a hard drive is installed.
We know:

1) all motherboards are identical (Letter to FCC from Sony)
2) There is a model with a 16 Gb Flash SSD drive of which 12 Gb is user accessible (FCC 16 gig and Sony press release)
3) A bracket is required to upgrade to a Hard Disk like the Hard Disk bracket that is in ALL older Sony models because all currently have hard disks.

This might mean that all motherboards have Nand Flash memory attached to them. If so it would be stupid to not use that memory for the OS and cache to allow faster boots and swaps.

Could you cite where you heard that it won't be useable?

Mad_Ban said:
So does it come included with a Kinect-like camera and have HDMI pass-thru? :)
No. http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-playstation-3-2012-official-press-shots/#5297234 HDMI was not a lock and a depth camera could use the USB port but it would not have higher resolution ability and a Kinect like interface as in the Digitimes rumor is unlikely. I don't see anything that could justify 20 million sold the first year either...no lower price, no extra features. Not looking good for my speculations on the PS3 hardware. It's not a refresh and 2010 articles mentioning Sony skipping a 32nm refresh might be accurate.

I'd be surprised if Sony made another PS3 design after this. I don't think they're 'skipping' anything regards to shrinking the processor.

Are you talking about the one with ..HDMI passthrough?
Even the older 360S where everything is on one SoC @ 45nm is a more cost effective design.

So you think Sony is dropping the PS3 when the PS4 is released? PS4 to be near the PS3 target price of $200 or so close @ $299-$350 that no one would consider a PS3 purchase.

Even the older 360S where everything is on one SoC @ 45nm is a more cost effective design.

So you think Sony is dropping the PS3 when the PS4 is released? PS4 to be near the PS3 target price of $200 or so close @ $299-$350 that no one would consider a PS3 purchase.

I don't know about dropping but they're obviously not in a rush for a big price drop. I doubt they'd try $499+$599 again.

Sad to hear it's not all that. I played the Beta in March and it was rough...

The game is currently in Beta yes but everyone who wants can join in (as I understand it) so in one way it's already launched. It has also been possible to buy ingame currency & stuff since May on the PS Store I believe.

The thing is, you have to pay to get in right now, and the market is run by NPC's as opposed to the more flexible player controlled market.

omonimo

Banned
Ok now I imagine new 360 slim announced & launched at 159 € or less what the hell of fucking disaster for sony. I can't believe how stupid are those price, seems psgo or psvita not means anything for sony. Bad start Yoshida, Hirai was a lot more smart.

monome

pricing on this new model is super fucked up...so much I can see all Nintendo IPs gathering to bukkake the new PS3, a very horrible vision...

179€ PS3 12go and I would have bought it, just because.

Pociask

Not sure what Sony's trying here. Any redesign should be focused on 1) lowering the cost of production, so that they can 2) lower the price of the console. That should be it. Of course, I would be psyched if they would also 3) put PS2 bc back in, but that seems extremely unlikely to happen.

I don't know anyone who's held off on getting a PS3 that's going to be moved by bigger hard drives.

pricing on this new model is super fucked up...so much I can see all Nintendo IPs gathering to bukkake the new PS3, a very horrible vision...

229 is horible pricing indeed. But that UC3 GOTY boxart, my god thats ugly.

spwolf

it will probably be sold for €180, as European have higher margins and lower the prices all the time... you can get 320GB model for 212 on Amazon.de now.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not sure what Sony's trying here. Any redesign should be focused on 1) lowering the cost of production, so that they can 2) lower the price of the console..

I'm pretty sure that is what they are doing. The lower cost to build does not have to be reflected in the shelf price immediately. Sony could lag a bit and get some extra cash in the process. The redesign probably cost them money upfront and will pay off in the long term.

So the price is $269.99 with $70 worth of crap bundled. It's like they want us to know that they are going to drop the price in November.

Top Bottom