• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
dark10x said:
A fusion of Abyss and Destiny PS2 (which you've raved about time and again) sounds too good to be true. I hope they pull it off...

I hope it works well, because every time they experimented with the battle system, they seem to get better and better results.

The improvements in Abyss makes Symphonia almost unplayable.

Shouta

king zell said:
pics for ToS2

Gee, pointing to stuff on the map and menu. Go figure.

dark10x said:
A fusion of Abyss and Destiny PS2 (which you've raved about time and again) sounds too good to be true. I hope they pull it off...

It'll likely be better than Abyss because Abyss has a terrible attack skill set for their characters and kinda barebones beyond free run. It'll be hard to match Destiny Remake though.

Jiggy

Hcoregamer00 said:
Whoa there cowboy, no love for Sheena?? :(
Well, I was talking personality-wise. >_> Sheena's kind of plain to me in that sense. Definitely my second favorite looks-wise, however, although her outfits didn't feel diverse enough to me...
Man, ToS 2 better have as many outfits per character as TotA did. I'm such a fanboy that if they did that I'd probably buy it even if it was a D+ game. :( Edit: Uh, assuming same cast, but after looking at that new shot, hmm...

Edit 2: Oh, wait. Are those the monsters in the team or something? You know, not that it wouldn't make sense storyline-wise since supposedly nobody would be able to fight without
their Exspheres and they were getting rid of those in the ending
, but they had better not be the only playable characters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It'll likely be better than Abyss because Abyss has a terrible attack skill set for their characters and kinda barebones beyond free run. It'll be hard to match Destiny Remake though.
Yeah, that was the weakest point of Abyss which is why a mixup with Destiny would likely yield awesome results.

Hcoregamer00

dark10x said:
Regarding the Wii game, I'm disappointed that they are using a point and go map system for the world map as world map exploration was always enjoyable in these games. Pointing to where you want to go and having your "symbol" character automatically travel there doesn't really sound all that exciting...

You would really hate Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology :lol

Jiggy37 said:
Well, I was talking personality-wise. >_> Sheena's kind of plain to me in that sense. Definitely my second favorite looks-wise, however, although her outfits didn't feel diverse enough to me...
Man, ToS 2 better have as many outfits per character as TotA did. I'm such a fanboy that if they did that I'd probably buy it even if it was a D+ game. :( Edit: Uh, assuming same cast, but after looking at that new shot, hmm...

Sheena personality wise is very similar to Tear, in fact they could swap the personalities and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. In that regard, I would say that her personality is plain because it is the typical Tsundere "I hate guys, but I will slowly change through the story."

As for the outfits, Abyss and especially radiant mythology has an abundance of outfits. Heck, my lead character is wearing an Idolm@ster outfit in Radiant Mythology :lol

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wow, seems that Namco invested more than 100$ this time for this new DS Tales of.

dark10x

Hcoregamer00 said:
You would really hate Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology :lol
I do, actually. I briefly tried the game in the past and was immediately turned off by it. The other PSP remakes are really slick, though.

Leezard

GamerSoul said:
Returning cast?

h-103_75630_tos500.jpg.jpg

:D
So I guess Zelos survived if it's true.

The Colette ending is probably the main one.

Hcoregamer00

dark10x said:
I do, actually. I briefly tried the game in the past and was immediately turned off by it. The other PSP remakes are really slick, though.

I love Radiant Mythology, which would mean I would probably like the PSP remakes even more. Which was the PSP remake that got a localization in Europe? Where can I buy it and how much does it cost?

Leezard said:
The Colette ending is probably the main one.

Probably the Main One? It IS the main ending. You have to do a lot of stuff to get a totally different ending.

dark10x

Hcoregamer00 said:
I love Radiant Mythology, which would mean I would probably like the PSP remakes even more. Which was the PSP remake that got a localization in Europe? Where can I buy it and how much does it cost?
In Europe? I'm pretty sure it was Eternia (which was the first of many).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hmmm... the Wii game is turning out to be less of a main game than Tales of Innocence after all.

Jiggy

Hcoregamer00 said:
As for the outfits, Abyss and especially radiant mythology has an abundance of outfits. Heck, my lead character is wearing an Idolm@ster outfit in Radiant Mythology :lol
I need Radiant Mythology, but first I need a PSP. :( Just waiting on the redesign release is all.

Hcoregamer00

jj984jj said:
Hmmm... the Wii game is turning out to be less of a main game than Tales of Innocence after all.

If you know Japanese, translate for us so we can also bask in disappointment.

Jiggy37 said:
I need Radiant Mythology, but first I need a PSP. :( Just waiting on the redesign release is all.

It is kind of funny, I was shopping for clothes of my main character and I saw an outfit and said "isn't that from the idolmaster?" I googled it and lo and behold it was THE SAME OUTFIT.

idolmaster_qjpreviewth.png

CrisKre

Those wii screens look better. especially the environments. And i dont mind the point and click in the main map. I didnt find the walking too enjoyable on the tales of maps personally, this should speed things up and it makes sense to do so with the wiimote. What will make or break this game is the battle mechanics via waggle. Im very optimistic.

reriel

Aokage said:
I was under the very strong impression that other than Motoi Sakuraba, Wolfteam's involvement with Tales began and ended with ToP.
Maybe some Wolfteam peeps that stayed behind were responsible for Destiny? I don't know...
one of the phantasia key members is still in namco, and he has key role on almost all tales from tales studio, his name is Eiji Kikuchi.

Jammy

Banned
I'd be disappointed in Tales of Symphonia 2's map system had the original game's map not been so damn ugly, barren, and plain. That pretty much just served as a gateway to get from one place to another. Those conversations that randomly occured between characters when you traveled behind an uglyass mountain chain didn't really fit either.

Bebpo

Banned
Also that first slide for ToS Wii says you'll be going through the same towns/dungeons in updated-looking form.

ethelred

Also, one note on my comment about the possibility of Team Symphonia doing a DS game: I said I'd be fine with it, but I didn't say it'd be ideal. I did point out that my preference would be for Team Destiny to bring their demonstrated proficiency at 2D Tales to the DS, because I think that's much more suited to the platform; as Magicpaint noted, my Grand Compromise of Destiny to DS and Symphonia to PS360 should make everyone happy.

So it's not my preference, but at the same time, I wouldn't spaz out if Team Symphonia DOES go and make a DS game. I'm sure it'd be a great game, too, because that's mostly what they make.

dark10x said:
The PSP would provide just that without sacrifice (though I'd still prefer it on a console).

Every now and then, I'm still surprised there are people out there that haven't made peace with the fact that the DS has killed the PSP in sales and, like the PS2 versus the Xbox, is going to receive the bulk of third party support. Look, it's popular, okay? It's selling better than any other system (portable or home) in every major market in the world. People like what it does and most of them apparently aren't too torn up about some of the sacrifies it makes.

Shouta said:
And definitely not close to Destiny Remake IMO.

Why?

dark10x said:
Regarding the Wii game, I'm disappointed that they are using a point and go map system for the world map as world map exploration was always enjoyable in these games. Pointing to where you want to go and having your "symbol" character automatically travel there doesn't really sound all that exciting...

On this point, you and I are in complete agreement. It's sounding a lot more spinoff-y -- which doesn't mean it'll be bad, but it's definitely not to be approached with the mindset of a real Tales game. And yes, absolutely, the big world map and the exploration are important aspects of the series.

Yeah... 3D or not, I think that looks great.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
On this point, you and I are in complete agreement. It's sounding a lot more spinoff-y -- which doesn't mean it'll be bad, but it's definitely not to be approached with the mindset of a real Tales game. And yes, absolutely, the big world map and the exploration are important aspects of the series.

I sense that the Sympthonia team is working on a "true" sequel for 360/PS3.

Shouta

ethelred said:

Did you miss my raving about it? It's fast, frenetic, and intense. It's absolutely insane. It's the best iteration of the LMBS to date IMO. The entire combination of systems they used for Destiny Remake is just incredible.

So ToS Wii seems to be a dungeon crawler spinoff. That's alright, I can live with it. It's not ideal, but it'll probably be interesting.

ToI doesn't look too bad to me. I think the mutant battle system can work. It's Alfa System though. Maybe they'll add a Gunparade March style dating side quest in there.

ethelred

Shouta said:
Did you miss my raving about it? It's fast, frenetic, and intense. It's absolutely insane. It's the best iteration of the LMBS to date IMO. The entire combination of systems they used for Destiny Remake is just incredible.

No, I didn't miss your raving about it; haven't I said that your raving is one of the reasons I intend to play it (aside from the fact that I really liked the original)? I'm just saying, I can see dark's point, and I agree that a DS game likely wouldn't be able to capture what Abyss does with full 3D movement. But I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to offer up the same experience as a 2D Tales games, even the best of the 2D Tales games, if it's made by the people who know how to do that. Fast, frenetic, intense -- these aren't things necessarily beyond it. So I was sincerely wondering what specifically you think it wouldn't be able to do out of Destiny R's system.

they are using a point and go map system for the world map as world map exploration

Can someone explain me why the usual "world map explanation" have been replaced by a "point and go" system ?

I don't see anything on the pic. Is it in relation with the text next to the map ?

GamerSoul said:
Returning cast?

h-103_75630_tos500.jpg.jpg

:D
So I guess Zelos survived if it's true.

Here is the translation:

Mochiron ano charakuta-tachi mo toujou (Of course, those characters also return.)

Mae tsukute toujoushita Shinfuonia no
charakuta-tachi mo gemu naka ni toujou shi
shujinko no tabi no tedasuke o shitekeremasu

(The Symphonia characters whom made an appearance before will not only appear in this game, but they will also provide assistance ito the main character's journey.)

john tv

Trucbidule said:
Can someone explain me why the usual "world map explanation" have been replaced by a "point and go" system ?

I don't see anything on the pic. Is it in relation with the text next to the map ?
It says so in the Japanese.

Seraph830

Banned
Compared to the original TOS, this game looks like a discrace.

but then agian, its only one screenshot, ill wait till we see more.

king zell said:

wtf, the DS game looks exactly like the Wii game. So the DS game looks incredible and the Wii game looks terrible. :lol

I don't understand the lack of interest in the DS game. It looks and sounds way better than the Wii game and the PSP game is just a port. I personally have higher hopes for this than I did Tempest.

also lol @ the Tales meltdowns in this thread, the DS is not that weak people. See: ASH, and maybe even FFIVR. And Layton.

The DS can handle just enough of the pretty animus and voices you want.

Shouta

ethelred said:
No, I didn't miss your raving about it; haven't I said that your raving is one of the reasons I intend to play it (aside from the fact that I really liked the original)? I'm just saying, I can see dark's point, and I agree that a DS game likely wouldn't be able to capture what Abyss does with full 3D movement. But I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to offer up the same experience as a 2D Tales games, even the best of the 2D Tales games, if it's made by the people who know how to do that. Fast, frenetic, intense -- these aren't things necessarily beyond it. So I was sincerely wondering what specifically you think it wouldn't be able to do out of Destiny R's system.

Well, Destiny Remake is on a whole other level compared to other 2D Tales games. When I say fast, frenetic, and intense, I really mean, the fastest, the most frenetic, and the most intense Tales game yet. Everything is cranked up to the max in the game and it feels more akin to a Tales version of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on Turbo.

It's kind of hard to explain but basically, when you open the ALMBS up to 3D, you get more freedom in movement but lose the intensity of the 2D because there are a lot more things factored in. Enemy position will be all over the place, tracking of aerial attacks will be difficult, party members assisting with aerial combos will be harder and etc. Destiny Remake isn't simply a game with mid-air combos, it's an Aerial game. You can spend entire battles fighting in mid-air and not even touching the ground if you're good.

You really need to play Destiny Remake to see what I mean. The experience speaks for itself better than I can.

If I can figure out a way to say it later, I'll post it.

Jiggy

Mockingbird said:
Here is the translation:

Mochiron ano charakuta-tachi mo toujou (Of course, those characters also return.)

Mae tsukute toujoushita Shinfuonia no
charakuta-tachi mo gemu naka ni toujou shi
shujinko no tabi no tedasuke o shitekeremasu

(The Symphonia characters whom made an appearance before will not only appear in this game, but they will also provide assistance to the main character's journey.)
That sounds just a bit too vague for my liking.
It's always possible to create characters better than or equal to the ToS cast, I suppose, but considering the map system and the graphics I'm not in the greatest mindframe of faith right now. If this isn't the Symphonia team, they should have just stuck with what they already knew worked--

...Wait, never mind. On second thought, if this isn't the Symphonia team, I'd rather not have them bring back the old characters as playable and possibly butcher them in the process. But we'll see, I guess.

Thanks for the translation either way, though. Can't forget to credit the messenger even if the message is questionable. >_>

Just saw the new screens... dunno about everyone else, but the DS game looks ace. Hopefully the towns aren't as deserted though.

ethelred said:
Every now and then, I'm still surprised there are people out there that haven't made peace with the fact that the DS has killed the PSP in sales and, like the PS2 versus the Xbox, is going to receive the bulk of third party support. Look, it's popular, okay? It's selling better than any other system (portable or home) in every major market in the world. People like what it does and most of them apparently aren't too torn up about some of the sacrifies it makes.

Eh, I dunno, the PSP still receives the bulk of the third party support, regardless of sales. Hell, even with this "DS lead system" announcement, it's still getting a new game (Rebirth).

Regardless of Namco's supposed decision to make the DS the lead platform for Tales, I seriously doubt it'll actually fall through. Personally, I see Innocence as being the only other new DS Tales they'll ever make, and they'll continue making PSP Tales, maybe even continuing with PS360 games.

While I personally wouldn't mind it happening, I doubt the DS will get all the main Tales from now on. I'm just glad it seems the DS is getting at least one other [hopefully] amp in its lineup. :)

SantaC

Wow this thread turned into meltdown mode. I dont mind Tales games on DS but I want the bigger budget productions on next-gen systems since I want some awesome spells, overlimits and good voice acting.

zbarron

Shouta said:
Is that a Popeye smiley?
Bebpo said:
h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

This shot would be fine if it wasn't for the awful jaggies on the sword and on the monster. It basically looks like Abyss but jaggier.
When playing a Wii game just pretend that every sword has a serrated edge.

Soul4ger

Looks better in that screen. So Tales of Innocence sounds really good? I was at class all day, following the initial announcement this morning...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
John Harker said:
in what way exactly

background and monsters looks better now...im sure it will look nice when it will be released next year...

Sagitario

I want Kratos, dammit... someone spoil me about the different ToS endings because I don't remember anything about alternate endings with the exception of Kratos/Zelos choice..

Point and click map... It would certainly have helped TotA horrible overworld... :lol

What else do the slides say beside the map?

143753425320070720165831.jpg

203401767620070720165814.jpg

Chris Michael said:
Hell, even with this "DS lead system" announcement, it's still getting a new game (Rebirth).

Rebirth is not new, it's a port of the PS2 game...
256px-Torcover.jpg

Top Bottom