• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

Let me get this straight.

ToS Wii is a proper sequel made by the Legendia group (boo-urns) with a point-and-click overworld? The overworld doesn't sound like an entirely bad thing in retrospect, considering the 3D Tales overworlds are pretty barren; it doesn't look as nice though.

And Drohne has a sandy vagina?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BrodiemanTTR said:
You know, it's funny, everyone's talking about when developers are going to make the jump to Wii, when most developers still have to make the jump to DS.
Most? Namco's pretty late actually. Now if only Capcom would make something more substantial, though people love Ace Attorney so much they probably feel like they don't need to.

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:
Most? Namco's pretty late actually. Now if only Capcom would make something more substantial, though people love Ace Attorney so much they probably feel like they don't need to.

ZX?

ZXA?

Stock Trader Shun?

jj984jj said:

Aside from Square-Enix, who's really made the leap? Konami only recently started throwing more weight behind it. Capcom is still mainly Phoenix Wright and Megaman.

ethelred

Bebpo said:
ZX?

ZXA?

Stock Trader Shun?

Capcom's games are great in terms of quality, but they haven't put any major new stuff on the DS compared to a lot of other companies that have seriously shifted dev priorities to it.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Aside from Square-Enix, who's really made the leap? Konami only recently started throwing more weight behind it. Capcom is still mainly Phoenix Wright and Megaman.

Square Enix is the biggie, obviously, but other companies certainly have as well. Sega's putting Sonic RPG by BioWare on there, which is pretty damned big, plus Sakura Taisen, more Sonic... Tecmo's got Ninja Gaiden, and they also announced that mystery adventure game and Monster Rancher at that big DS-centric press conference they held. Scamco's got Tales and a CyberConnect2 game. Konami's got Contra.

Plus there's Level 5. They picked the DS for their first publishing enterprise and made a trilogy out of it, so that's pretty major.

jj984jj said:
inti didn't do a great job with ZX, I'm hoping ZXA is better. Stock Trader I've been interested in but it's another graphical text adventure. Every major Japanese publisher has put a major franchise on the DS so I'd like to see Capcom try something they wouldn't do next-gen as well, maybe a new Bionic Commando?

How about a 2D sidescrolling dual screened Okami DS? Imagine the glorious meltdowns!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
ZX?

ZXA?

Stock Trader Shun?
inti didn't do a great job with ZX, I'm hoping ZXA is better. Stock Trader I've been interested in but it's another graphical text adventure. Every major Japanese publisher has put a major franchise on the DS so I'd like to see Capcom try something they aren't willing do a next-gen sequel for, maybe a new Bionic Commando?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
people often put down the .exe rockman games down and those sell very well in japan. probably the biggest selling rockman series right now. 500k is not bad in my book.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone else disappointed the original ToS cast didn't get any redesigns? They are exactly the same, you'd think in 2 years they'd change a little.

After seeing a game like Super Mario Galaxy running on the Wii, the graphics here are a little underwhelming... art direction is nice though. If Namco is able to dish out some great wii controls then I think i'll give the game a chance.

:D

jeremy1456

ethelred said:
Square Enix is the biggie, obviously, but other companies certainly have as well. Sega's putting Sonic RPG by BioWare on there, which is pretty damned big

I think Bioware's marketplace presence is a bit exaggerated, and Sonic isn't exactly mr. popularity either anymore.

Polari

Tales of Symphonia 2 is one ****ing hideous game. Scamco strikes again. I don't get it - Nintendo made the transition to Wii about as easy as it gets for developers. It's a Gamecube with faster clock speeds and more RAM. So why the **** are games looking identical or in some cases, uglier, than their predecessors, nine months in? It's mind-boggling that barely any Wii games come close to equalling the graphics of Starfox Adventures, a Gamecube game released less than a year after launch (five years ago now!) than was ported up from the Nintendo 64 in the first place.

Or are they still getting it into their thick heads that Wii is the fastest growing next-gen platform? That this is a fact is no thanks whatsoever to the quality of software it's seen so far.

Banned
Polari said:
Tales of Symphonia 2 is one ****ing hideous game. Scamco strikes again. I don't get it - Nintendo made the transition to Wii about as easy as it gets for developers. It's a Gamecube with faster clock speeds and more RAM. So why the **** are games looking identical or in some cases, uglier, than their predecessors, nine months in? It's mind-boggling that barely any Wii games come close to equalling the graphics of Starfox Adventures, a Gamecube game released less than a year after launch (five years ago now!) than was ported up from the Nintendo 64 in the first place.

Or are they still getting it into their thick heads that Wii is the fastest growing next-gen platform? That this is a fact is no thanks whatsoever to the quality of software it's seen so far.
You do know it's a year away from release right? The tales games usually don't try to push the envelope in terms of visuals( at least 3D) so it's not that surprising that the game doesn't look like Mario Galaxy.

God forbid we wait for video.

BrodiemanTTR said:

Konami throwing weight behind the DS? :lol DS isn't getting the next R-type or the next Silent Hill or the next Castlevania. DS is getting an outsourced Contra and that's it.

Terrell

Chris Michael said:
Konami throwing weight behind the DS? :lol DS isn't getting the next R-type or the next Silent Hill or the next Castlevania. DS is getting an outsourced Contra and that's it.
Ummmm.... DS got two original Castlevanias, everything else this gen for Castlevania has been ports. Big ports, yes, but ports.

Terrell said:
Ummmm.... DS got two original Castlevanias, everything else this gen for Castlevania has been ports. Big ports, yes, but ports.

The last Castlevania the DS got was Portrait of Ruin... which was, quite frankly, a piece of shit.

Also, I just realized Kokia is singing for the DS Tales.

HOLY ****ING CRAP! OMG <3 KOKIA <3

Terrell

Chris Michael said:
The last Castlevania the DS got was Portrait of Ruin... which was, quite frankly, a piece of shit.

Also, I just realized Kokia is singing for the DS Tales.

HOLY ****ING CRAP! OMG <3 KOKIA <3
You were arguing that Konami wasn't throwing support behind DS. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that Iga and his team weren't behind it all the way.

Terrell said:
You were arguing that Konami wasn't throwing support behind DS. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that Iga and his team weren't behind it all the way.

They created a shittyvania with shitty art and then proceeded to announce the ultimate Castlevania collection for the PSP topped off with new Ayami art. That's kind of shitty (and backstabish) support if you ask me.

But this thread isn't about Castlevania. This is about Tales WOOO!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Chris Michael said:
Konami throwing weight behind the DS? :lol DS isn't getting the next R-type

r-type is actually by capcom. but don't worry, everybody gets those two mixed up

i know

Barakov

Chris Michael said:
They created a shittyvania with shitty art and then proceeded to announce the ultimate Castlevania collection for the PSP topped off with new Ayami art. That's kind of shitty (and backstabish) support if you ask me.

Nothing to see here . Move along. :|

Chris Michael said:
DS is getting an outsourced Contra and that's it.

Contra 4 isn't quite an outsourced project. It's been a Konami US division project, proposed and led by Tomm Hulett. (He personally wanted to do it on the Wii, but Konami greenlighted it as a DS game.) Only the coding was outsourced.

Wait a second has it been confirmed that the Legendia Team is working on TOS2? I thought that they split up!

And if it's true, then what the hell is Team Symphonia doing?!

Sagitario

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wait a second has it been confirmed that the Legendia Team is working on TOS2? I thought that they split up!

And if it's true, then what the hell is Team Symphonia doing?!

Team MelFes did split up, but what we know so far:

- The Soul Calibur producer is in charge of the battle system.

- According to the Namco web site [and jarrod :p] ToS2 [don't get mad kiryogi :p] and Sword of Legendia are 2 separated games.

Chris Michael said:

No, it was not. You didn't like it/enjoy it... fine... but it was definitely not a POS...
Chris Michael said:

And this is getting tired... Yeah, Kojima designs are way better than the anime chartacters of the 2 DS games, but it wouldn't have made a freaking difference in the sprites or even in the intros of the games, it would not have affected the quality of the titles... if you think PoR was shitty, not even Kojima's work would have made it better (Kojima's work didn't stop LoI and CoD from sucking)... so stop with the stupid complaints, get a PSP... is not "backstabbing" at all, they are "sharing" the franchise and trying to wider the audience [just like they did when the artwork changed from the GBA games to the DS ones]. The DS will be getting another game, don't worry about that...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
arguing with Chris Michael is like trying to teach a dog how to speak... it's pointless (...actually you may have better luck with the latter).

move along people.

BrodiemanTTR said:
You know, it's funny, everyone's talking about when developers are going to make the jump to Wii, when most developers still have to make the jump to DS.
I always get the impression that portables always come second to consoles. Some third parties not jumping on the DS yet isn't an indication that it would take them as long to do so on the Wii, I don't think.

Aokage said:
This is one of the most spectacular images I have ever seen.

tales10.jpg

Not just because of the flowchart, but because the image really does claim the DS is all about lots of anime FMV, voice acting, beautiful sound and visuals, and epic, high drama. Yeah, that's exactly how I'd sum up the DS.

It was time. The DS phenomenon is clear since 1 year at least.

Note that the Wii is not in that chart (for now).

Sagitario

Wii Tales = 2008

That slide is for the titles that will be released this year (or have been released until now)... that's why you don't see the Wii in there...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
h-103_75629_300.jpg.jpg

h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

Is it just me, or is the main character the same in ToS Wii and ToI?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zanasea said:
Is it just me, or the graphics are the same in ToS Wii and ToI?

at leat at those screens i think the ds one looks better - mainly because the background looks better :)

ethelred

jeremy1456 said:
I think Bioware's marketplace presence is a bit exaggerated, and Sonic isn't exactly mr. popularity either anymore.

Well, if you're going to give development duties on an RPG to an outside team, BioWare is certainly one of the top studios you could go to in terms of their quality... and yeah, market presence, too. Knights of the Old Republic was one of the best-selling RPGs last-gen, you know.

Saying Sonic isn't that popular is just weird. It's still Sega's best franchise. And Sonic RPG's one of the most significant games to come to it in quite a while. Maybe the franchise itself isn't as popular as franchises by other developers, like Dragon Quest, but that's not the point -- the point is that Sega's giving the best support Sega can give.

Chris Michael said:

Yup, Konami's support has been excellent of late. Two well regarded Castlevania games, GBA holdover support like Lunar Knights (again, a very well regarded game), and now Contra 4. That Konami has given really good games to the PSP also doesn't mitigate that it's giving excellent games to the DS, and it takes some kind of duncery to think that it does. As to R-Type, last I checked Konami isn't Irem but maybe that's changed in your world.

nightside

ethelred said:
Yup, Konami's support has been excellent of late. Two well regarded Castlevania games, GBA holdover support like Lunar Knights (again, a very well regarded game), and now Contra 4. That Konami has given really good games to the PSP also doesn't mitigate that it's giving excellent games to the DS, and it takes some kind of duncery to think that it does. As to R-Type, last I checked Konami isn't Irem but maybe that's changed in your world.

and it's not like we'll never see a new castlevania on DS...

and..isn't dracula X cronicles a remake of rondo of blood?

GaimeGuy said:
h-103_75629_300.jpg.jpg

h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

Is it just me, or is the main character the same in ToS Wii and ToI?
Well, what do we know info wise on the games so far? The impression I get is that innocence can possibly refer to childhood. Maybe ToI is a prequel detailing the main character of ToS Wii's early days - in which he had a slightly different haircut.

cartman414 said:
Contra 4 isn't quite an outsourced project. It's been a Konami US division project, proposed and led by Tomm Hulett. (He personally wanted to do it on the Wii, but Konami greenlighted it as a DS game.) Only the coding was outsourced.

wait wut

Go_Nint said:
- Takes place 3 years after Tales of Symphonia on Cube
- Two heroes: Emile Castagnie and Malta, both 16 years old
- Characters from Tales of Symphonia will be present, but not playable (as far as we know)
- Move by pointing the Wiimote in the direction you want to go
- You are able to capture monsters and use them during battle. To also note the possibility of capturing creatures and of making use of it during the battles

New ?

WTH at the non-playable characters ??

ethelred

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

No.

Also, though I hate to channel Kiryogi, people really should stop calling it Tales of Symphonia 2. It's not. That makes it sound comparable to Tales of Destiny 2, which was a full-fledged main series entry... from all we're hearing and seeing, this isn't.

Between the subtitle, the point-and-click map, and the other unusual gameplay elements (monsters), this really seems like it'll be a Tales of the World-styled spinoff game, only keeping the original game's name instead of TotW.

That's fine and cool, and it could still be a good and fun RPG, but people need to look at it and expect a spinoff now, not "Tales of Symphonia 2 by Team Symphonia." It'll continue the story of the original (just like Summoner's Lineage took place after Phantasia) and retain some of the gameplay (free-run LMBS), but... yeah.

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk

That's where the game needs to go and how it needs to be considered.

Manaka said:
Well, I wanted to point to the huge red arrow and it's deeper meaning of the general situation in Japan

The situation in Japan seems fine.

Manaka

BrodiemanTTR said:
I was talking about Contra 4 being pitched as a Wii game.

Well, I wanted to point to the huge red arrow and it's deeper meaning of the general situation in Japan

EDIT: @ ethelred

I don't have anything against the DS (enjoying Etrian Odyssey right now), but I'm a little skeptical about main-titles going to the DS ^^
Unless you wrote this because I left out "gaming" in front of situation :lol

Top Bottom