• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newcomer Dissidia fighter to be revealed on August 27

Dang.....I hoping for a Console date at least. Was fun to watch I guess, New character, cool new mobile game and I got to see a good tournament with level play.

Tizoc

clean version

Spiritas
Cq3HA0HVUAAk6dF.jpg:large

Materia
Cq3HBeTVUAAKDBW.jpg:large

Geez just give her a friggin' chainmail bikini, not like that net makes the outfit any less moronic.

Ydelnae

The more I look at Spiritas, the more I like his design. He seems like a mix from the FFX and FFXIV styles, they really mesh well.

She has so much going on. Her dress, her staff, her swords(?), and her crown. The more I look at it the worse it gets. Other dude look cool, reminds me of Jecht.

mcz117chief

How often do these Final Fantasy mobile games release in Europe? I would like to know if there is any chance that this new one will be available to me (once I get a phone).

Spiritas looks like rejected concept art for FFX. Materia looks like what Nomura would do if he were to design characters for a Chrono game.

Just saw the news.

Who the fuck is Ace? Type-0...Didn't they remaster that for PS4? Is it worth playing?

Ugh, dissapointing character reveal. However, that other Dissidia game had Vivi, Yuffie, Sazh and a couple others that have pretty good chances on being in the main game, so I'm optimistic!

Famassu

Wait a sec. It was Nomura who designed the characters not the Team Ninja designers.
Character designers don't usually have completely free hands designing the characters they design. While it's hard to separate who has the most influence and ultimately it IS the character designer who draws the design, sometimes it can be the director/some higher-up in the team/company who asks for something particular or outlandish (make them boobs bigger! make that cleavage more noticeable! she needs to show more skin! that dress needs to look more like a basket!) that the designer then executes. Of course considering some of Nomura's past designs, it's hard to say who's more at fault here with Materias. Nomura's designs have been decently down-to-earth for the most part in recent years, so something so extravagant(ly stupid) isn't necessarily all on him.

Ferr986

Character designers don't usually have completely free hands designing the characters they design. While it's hard to separate who has the most influence and ultimately it IS the character designer who draws the design, sometimes it can be the director/some higher-up in the team/company who asks for something particular or outlandish (make them boobs bigger! make that cleavage more noticeable! she needs to show more skin! that dress needs to look more like a basket!) that the designer then executes. Of course considering some of Nomura's past designs, it's hard to say who's more at fault here with Materias. Nomura's designs have been decently down-to-earth for the most part in recent years, so something so extravagant(ly stupid) isn't necessarily all on him.

Isn't TN just the coders?

Honestly, Materia design screams Nomura to me. There's nothing TN into her design IMO.

NOOI

Banned
Materia is truly an accomplishment of awful design. Every aspect of it is just irredeemable. It actually beats Nooj. It's quite impressive.

It's the square grids. The square grids don't belong on anyone's outfit. It's not even sexy, She looks like a catwalk model wearing an outfit made by a drunken designer.

If the lines formed trapezoids or otherwise flowed more naturally around her body, it could have been okay. Those 90 degree angles just don't work well as sleeves or skirts.

J-Tier

Yeah, Materia's outfit is pretty dumb. If half of the squares were filled in, perhaps the design is salvageable. But the cut outs make it too "try-hard" fanservicey.

Arkeband

Banned
As a fan of Type-0, Ace is still pretty white bread no-characterization, but that's the fault of developing for a handheld and requiring a cast of 14+ characters. Kind of a wasted character slot IMO, but it could have been worse, it could have been Machina.

However, Gaius would have been an even more wasted slot, he's basically a footnote in FFXIV, to even compare him to Shantotto, a vastly recurring and important character in FFXI is just laughable.

Forget Materia's ridiculous net-dress, she has a flower pot on her head. What a completely bizarre character design. Spiritas is allright, but he's basically Dark Jecht.

TDLink

I don't think Ace is a waste primarily because at least it's a unique weapon type for a moveset. Only other character you really could have done the cards with is Setzer, and a ton of other FF6 characters would realistically make it in before him.

I don't think Ace is a waste primarily because at least it's a unique weapon type for a moveset. Only other character you really could have done the cards with is Setzer, and a ton of other FF6 characters would realistically make it in before him.

Ace is practically gambit.

This just made me want Setzer.

Glad that Type-0 has a character representing it in some way. Dissidia has been good with this in past games, but I know other crossover games end up having the most popular series being over represented with characters. Ace being one of the more unique shoot type characters is just icing on the cake.

Wasn't there a video of a Theathrythm game during the stream? Was is a new game? Is it on Smartphone?
New game for Arcades

Ray Down

Banned
Nomura clearly a fan of Fiore.

Also Ace addition is cool, still waiting them ever getting enough characters for a console port....

Top Bottom