• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

Bought the game yesterday. Damn, absolutely incredible. Didn't knew who Eugene Jarvis was, so I googled it. Mind blown, lol.
Guess I will buy Resogun pretty soon. Only played Dead Nation and Alienation so far, which I know, are not made by Jarvis. Still love them.
Also got Matterfall still sealed. Very excited to play it too.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Housemarque is fucking amazing. Love their games. My rankings/ratings are below -

1. Outland (9.0/10)
2. Alienation (8.5/10)
3. Nex Machina (8.5/10)
4. Dead Nation (8.0/10)
5. Matterfall (8.0/10)

Played Resogun and while im sure it's amazing, im simply not into the space ship shooters anymore and haven't been into them since SNES.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I finished a run on Rookie last night, in game playtime is 2hr30mins.

Yeah, this might just be my favourite Housemarque title so far.

I liked Super Stardust HD, but didn't like the circular map coming from Geometry Wars 2 which had a flat grid making it easier to see everything.

I liked Resogun but didn't like how it was focused around horizontal movement.

But this, its perfect. Its a twin-stick shooter on flat plains, the graphics are so good. The music is sublime and once you get into the rhythm its mesmerizing.

Its just as fun blasting the environment apart as it is blasting enemies. Easily the best twinstick shooter since Geometry Wars 2. Who knows, as I play more, this might even overtake that. Gonna do a playthrough on Experienced tonight to ramp it up.

I'm glad a few more people picked up this amazing game!

Just a few more days left for this sale.

For those that just bought Resogun or who bought it but haven't put too much time, I highly suggest the DLC. The season pass is $7.99 and definitely gives a ton of replay value.

One mode that I played for hours every day, for a year straight is Commando, available only in one of the DLC packs. In this mode, you're not controlling a ship but rather you play as "the last human." You're on a horizontal stage, and can move left and right, dash, and jump/double jump.

There are 20 waves and after you beat the final boss, you start over, going through another 20 waves but this time there are revenge bullets. Each time you kill an enemy, 1 enemy bullet is fired in your direction. If you beat THESE 20 waves, the game starts over again, and there are even more revenge bullets. This time, instead of just 1 bullet, 3 come flying out towards you.

It's an intense mode and you only have 1 life. You can pick up a shield to give yourself an extra hit. There are also powerups and bombs. Because this is a score chase, enemies drop tokens which, depending on how you grab them, give you a certain amount of points, as well as increase your multiplier. For example, you shoot an enemy in the sky, a token is coming down, in order to maximize the points/mp you can get from this token you need to jump and grab it before it touches the floor. If it lands on the floor and THEN you pick it up, you'll get the least amount of points.

Your multiplier carries over if you beat the 20 waves.

It's such a great game and I would highly recommend it. If you guys would like me to stream it just so you get a better idea of how it is, I'll gladly do so later tonight...or you can check out some YouTube videos.

I can go on and on about this mode. I put it in the same addictive category as Geometry Wars 2 and Pac Man Championship Edition DX.

^Congrats on beating rookie! For those that don't know, you can't play the last level on rookie. It only shows up from Experienced and above. So there's even more to see ;)

Also, look out for hidden beacons, secret humans, extra lives and secret levels activated by finding arcade machines during certain levels. Some of the environment can be destroyed as well. They give very few points but can hide an extra life or human.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
^Congrats on beating rookie! For those that don't know, you can't play the last level on rookie. It only shows up from Experienced and above. So there's even more to see ;)

Also, look out for hidden beacons, secret humans, extra lives and secret levels activated by finding arcade machines during certain levels. Some of the environment can be destroyed as well. They give very few points but can hide an extra life or human.

Haha yeah I got into the habit of circling each arena (learned it in Geometry Wars) and shoot all the walls for hidden stuff. I noticed that when there's one enemy left they have this aftereffect trail so I leave them alive while exploring the rest of the arena.

Also, I figured I was missing a level because I checked the trophy list and saw a level I didn't play. Thanks for the tips!

1CC'd Rookie mode last night so I guess the real game starts now?

The game is so chaotic and detailed it's easy to overlook how much cool shit is happening in the environment and how beautiful the game really is. Gradually finding all the hidden stuff is a great addition to the gameplay loop. The amount of speed and detail makes Nex Machina feel like the cyberpunk video game equivalent of grindcore.

I love this damn game. I love how it opens with like 3 seconds of you crashing your motorcycle and then instantly getting attacked. Best game opening since DOOM 2016.

Schrödinger's cat;249643176 said:
Game Design Deep Dive: Maintaining tension in Nex Machina - Gamasutra.com

Very interesting!

Show this to anyone who uses the term 'mindless shooter'. :)
Insightful read. Seems like they were very conscious about certain design elements like keeping the pacing as brisk as possible, providing subtle foreshadowing or cutting down the level count until they had nothing but the best flowing stages among other examples. This part also stood out to me and really exemplifies the work mentality Housemarque had to (successfully) create that specific brand of tension they were aiming for with Nex Machina:

Something might feel good for a day or two, but after a week you start seeing it’s faults and how it no longer holds up. Then you iterate it more or try something else. In general though, we didn’t settle over a positive first reaction. We wanted the first and lasting impression of each level to be enjoyable.
Said diligence shows up in spades with the final product and after reading the article, they were quite smart in how they re-iterated on x or y component.

Top Bottom