• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

hobart

Giants had no shot against the Saints in New Orleans. I'm not sure anyone did.

So many good games on the Giants schedule this year. First place will do that to you.

DJ Ware needs to get a hard look from the Jets, IMO. Although, honestly, every cut player today in the league will get a hard look from the Jets.

Side note: Is there some inside joke as to why the Jets were listed in the NFC East in the OP? Tremendous OP, BTW. Wonderful.

Draxal

Giants fans aren't exactly lamenting the loss. I don't think you'll find many who were on the DJ Ware bandwagon. Still, he was a solid if unspectacular backup. He'll definitely find work.

Don't think he will actually, I think that's part of the reason the Giant's cut him. If Bradshaw goes down for the year, he'd be an easy pick up, while somebody like Scott might not be around if cut.

squicken

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-08-30/espn-everywhere-sports-profit-network#p2

Throughout the early evening, the producers and anchors seated around the pod monitor a dozen baseball games. They’re on the phone constantly with the highlight department. “A great Little League play in Pennsylvania,” says DeCorte after hanging up the phone. “Maybe a Top Ten play!” At one end of the pod sits Shawn Bradley, a “tease-bump” guy who writes the witty, topical zingers that introduce the show. His script is visible on every monitor. Levy asks about a line of Bradley’s mentioning “the scarlet-letter Saints,” an allusion to the penalties levied by the NFL against the New Orleans Saints for placing bounties on opposing players. “Scarlet-letter?” Levy asks.

“Because of the scandal,” Bradley explains.

“I’m just not sure our viewers will get a Scarlet Letter reference,” Levy says.

A few minutes later, Bradley asks, “Do you like ‘bounty-tainted Saints?’”

Levy nods. “I don’t have a problem with it.”

smh

Bowser

As we get closer and closer to the start of the regular season, the NFL and the NFL Referees Association could be getting closer to closing a fairly close gap.

A league source tells PFT that there’s talk of a high-level negotiating session occurring Friday between the league and the locked-out officials. We don’t have names (yet) of the folks participating on behalf of the NFL.

We also don’t have confirmation that a session is occurring.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ay-negotiating-session-between-nfl-officials/

edit: "UPDATE 11:37 a.m. ET: NFL spokesman Greg Aiello has declined to comment on the topic. And all that that implies."

MechDX

Damn I took a look at the Ravens' schedule and seems that this is their year. Flacco is elite, and the receivers wont be making the same mistakes as last year.

Best case scenario - 15-1
Worst case scenario - 13-3

jacoby.jpg

Nope

Wow. The Giants cut DT Dwayne Hendricks. Coughlin was really high on this kid, too. That's both Hendricks and Thomas released at a position that's a big question mark with Marvin Austin's back issues and Chris Canty starting the season the PUP list.

Draxal

Wow. The Giants cut DT Dwayne Hendricks. Coughlin was really high on this kid, too. That's both Hendricks and Thomas released at a position that's a big question mark with Marvin Austin's back issues and Chris Canty starting the season the PUP list.

I think Ojomo can play DT as well. One of these cut guys are going to be picked up on Monday, once they put one of the players on IR (bet you it's going to be Thomas).

squicken

Don't make fun of Steve Levy. The dude is awesome and brings me back to watching hockey on the Deuce.

It's just that it's a window into exactly how everyone is made dumber and dumber by big media. Everyone has excuses for why it's done, but it's still a conscious choice that is made.

That's a good article that no one will read. Really don't understand why the sports leagues have let ESPN get so powerful.

Talon

It's just that it's a window into exactly how everyone is made dumber and dumber by big media. Everyone has excuses for why it's done, but it's still a conscious choice that is made.

That's a good article that no one will read. Really don't understand why the sports leagues have let ESPN get so powerful.
As someone that will accept the stand-in as "the media," we play to the lowest common denominator.

So Clemson fans. They definitely have not read any literature.

Damn I took a look at the Ravens' schedule and seems that this is their year. Flacco is elite, and the receivers wont be making the same mistakes as last year.

Best case scenario - 15-1
Worst case scenario - 13-3

This is a smart man know knows his football. Although, I'm curious who the 1 loss is.

jbug617

Banned
Looks like Brian Waters is coming back for the Pats. His Nike equipment just went into his locker. Guess Bill gave him the preseason off.

Draxal said:
I think Ojomo can play DT as well.
Well, he'll apparently be playing the position in a Giants uniform for sure.:D

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Confirmed - DE Adewale Ojomo has made the Giants' final roster. Good for him. Let the quotes flow... #nyg

We have some fun names on our defense. Osi Umenyoira, Pierre-Paul, Prince Amukamara, Adewale Ojomo...

Bowser

lol, I made it onto ESPN.com by way of a Panthers message board post:

I know some Carolina fans are thinking the Panthers should go out and get another kicker after Justin Medlock missed two field goal attempts in Pittsburgh on Thursday night. But the folks at Carolina Huddle bring up a good point -- Heinz Field is not an easy place to kick. Medlock’s misses were from 56 and 50 yards. The 50-yarder would have tied the record for longest field goal by an NFL player at that stadium.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/38417/around-the-nfc-south-371

I'm famous bros!

Wes

venison crêpe
AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Texans 33 - 27 Patriots

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Packers 22 - 20 Giants

SUPER BOWL XLVII
Texans 27 - 24 Packers

2012 AWARDS

Most Valuable Player: Aaron Rodgers, QB Packers
Offensive Player of the Year: Tom Brady, QB Patriots
Defensive Player of the Year: Clay Matthews, LB Packers
Coach of the Year: Ron Rivera, HC Panthers
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Andrew Luck, QB Colts
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Luke Kuechly, LB Panthers
Comeback Player of the Year: Peyton Manning, QB Broncos
Executive of the Year: Rick Smith, G.M. Texans

(I have no idea how those awards work)

MechDX

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Texans 33 - 27 Patriots

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Packers 22 - 20 Giants

SUPER BOWL XLVII
Texans 27 - 24 Packers

2012 AWARDS

Most Valuable Player: Aaron Rodgers, QB Packers
Offensive Player of the Year: Tom Brady, QB Patriots
Defensive Player of the Year: Clay Matthews, LB Packers
Coach of the Year: Ron Rivera, HC Panthers
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Andrew Luck, QB Colts

(I have no idea how those awards work)

My man!!!

NEW SEASON! FOOTBALL WOOT!

tumblr_m92wf6sIjP1r4deuko3_500.gif

WTF at that OP. :jnc, great work Bucket.

And now to business:

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG-Eli and the Giants pound the Cowboys in their gloryhole

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI-Colts will have bad Luck in the rookie's NFL debut.
ATL at KC-Fuck the Falcons...but I trust Cowardly Matt Ryan more than I trust Terrible Matt Cassel.
PHI at CLE-Despite Mike Vick probably breaking his leg on the first play (after someone awkwardly looks in his direction), the Eagles pull it out.
WAS at NO-Something something Taints something something hurricane something.
STL at DET-Instead of breaking laws, the Lions start breaking other teams.
NE at TEN-After an offseason of UGGs and fruity hair, the Dark Lord is rejuvenated and back at full power.
JAC at MIN-One of these teams will be playing in London in two years. The other has VIKEBIKE.
BUF at NYJ-Buffalo's the better team. But fuck it, all HE does is win football games. I don't even care if Tebow's on the bench. His divine presence will compel the Jets to victory.
MIA at HOU-It's a hard knock life for Tannehill. And the Texans are still in the hype phase of their cycle.
SEA at ARI-Seachickens skin Skelton.
SF at GB-DemiGodgers>>>>Smith. Packers shit on Niners.
CAR at TB-No jokes. Just the first game in Cam Newton's MVP, Super Bowl winning second season.
PIT at DEN-When (not if, but when) Peyton gets hurt in this game, the Broncos are screwed.

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL-Ray Lewis said he would spare my life if I picked the Ravens, sooo...there.
SD at OAK-Da Raaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiddddeeerrs

Bowser

I like the reputation system on that board. So you're "kinda meh"?

Ha, it's because I've been posting on that board since 2008 (longer actually, but there was a board transfer similar to the GAF --> NeoGAF transfer) but I don't post too much.

Fox318

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Broncos 17 - 24 Jets

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Cowboys 22 - 27 49ers

SUPER BOWL XLVII
Jets 17 - 11 49ers

2012 AWARDS

Most Valuable Player: Mario Williams, DE Bills
Offensive Player of the Year: LeSean McCoy, RB Eagles
Defensive Player of the Year: Revis, CB Jets
Coach of the Year: Pete Carol, HC Seahawks
Offensive Rookie of the Year: RGIII, QB Redskins

hobart

Well, he'll apparently be playing the position in a Giants uniform for sure.:D

We have some fun names on our defense. Osi Umenyoira, Pierre-Paul, Prince Amukamara, Adewale Ojomo...

There is a small cult following starting to grow around Ojomo. My buddy is already preparing his jersey order...

I'm really high on the Texans and Bears this year. Was high on the Texans last year... raw deal. I don't know if I can be bold enough to take the Bears pick into the Superbowl though......

Eagles update:

@caplannfl: Wow, first semi-big surprise for the Eagles: I'm told the #Eagles are expected to release Joselio Hanson.
Giants should pick up Hanson considering the injuries we have at the CB position (we just put Bruce Johnson on IR). Hanson is a solid slot corner.

---------------------------------------------

Redskins update:

@granthpaulsen: According to a source, #Redskins will release RB Tim Hightower today.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Brownie_Logo.gif

LET'S GO BROWNS! The march to being adequate begins this season!

4 wins is probably what will happen.
5 wins is what I believe we can do.
6 wins and I'll need a new pair of pants.

hobart

Here's a better question worth debating--

Will the team that wins the SB this year have a first time SB winning QB?

Some food for thought:

There are currently only 6 active QBs playing that have Superbowl Rings--

Brees, E. Manning, P. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben

so I got an e-mail from Roger Goddell today:
To NFL Fans:

The 2012 NFL regular season is about to begin, and it promises to be another exciting, competitive, and unpredictable year of football which NFL fans have come to expect every season.

Part of our responsibility in helping teams and players prepare for each NFL season is to make sure they understand and respect league policies and rules. As always, we hold everyone, including ourselves, strictly accountable for protecting the integrity of the game, starting with the health and safety of our players. This year is no exception - bringing with it a clear, consistent, and renewed emphasis on enforcing our longstanding “bounty” prohibition.

Let me be clear: there is no place for bounties in football. No exceptions. No excuses. Bounties are an affront to everything that competitive sports should represent. Everyone in the NFL is responsible for adhering to these rules and we are all accountable for protecting the safety of our players - present and future.

The bounty prohibition forbids offering or accepting any reward - cash or otherwise - for on-field misconduct, plays that incentivize or result in injury to opposing players, or for performance against an opposing player, group of players, or team. The bounty prohibition not only preserves the competitive integrity of our game, but also protects player safety by removing incentives that could lead to dangerous play or unnecessary and/or intentional injury. As a league, we will ensure that the prohibition against bounties is clearly understood and consistently enforced. Period.

We will aggressively protect the health, safety and long-term livelihood of our players, both on the field and off. We can preserve the fierce competition that makes football great, while simultaneously committing to the relentless pursuit of safer play. Our players do not make excuses on the field; we will not make them off the field.

It is our job to protect, preserve, and promote the game of football that we all love. We want an exciting game featuring the world’s most talented football players enjoying long and successful careers. The bounty prohibition plays an instrumental role in achieving that. And we are committed to holding every team, player and owner accountable.

We appreciate your interest and hope you enjoy the 2012 NFL season.

Roger Goodell

Brinbe

Some Yahoo Pick'em Leagues if anyone wants to use them.

GAF PICK'EM NO CONFIDENCE
GROUP ID# 47093

GAF PICK'EM W/ CONFIDENCE
GROUP ID# 47096

Password is NeoGAF for both. I wouldn't mind lurkers participating but maybe there's a consequence I haven't considered.
Awesome, I'm on board.

And Divisional/Playoff predictions that I was too lazy to do earlier.

NFCE
Eagles
Giants-WC
Cowboys
Redskins

NFCN
Packers
Bears-WC
Lions
Vikings

NFCS

Saints