• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

9wsel.gif

The 2012 Peyton Manning Revenge Tour (sponsored by DirecTV) rolls on!

GO BRONCOS!

CHI @ GB
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF
DEN @ ATL

He was bad (which you'd expect in his first real game against a pass-oriented D like Philly's), but the whole offense was an inexcusable clusterfuck.

Dropped passes, poor running playcalls/execution (leaving Weeden with tons of 3rd and longs)... Ugh. Shurmur's ass should have been fired by now.

It was hard to watch from the stands. But at least the defense looked like it has a chance to be legitimately awesome.
I was also At the game, and personally never really liked Weeden in the first place. Sure he has a Arm but idk if he can be the long term option for us. Also yeah the D is alittle improved, I like some of depth we have at the Dline, but I think outsiders are giving our D way to much credit just being honest

Mrbob

At least he will be here when the Bears hit reality and have to play a team that isn't garbage. I'll miss you, but it'll be business as usual here

Lol, I stayed through the season! Even with Caleb Hanie breaking my spirit and ruining what could have been a great post season run. I'm just not too interested in off season talk.

Spinluck

The 2012 Peyton Manning Revenge Tour (sponsored by DirecTV) rolls on!

GO BRONCOS!

CHI @ GB
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF
DEN @ ATL

I will be a Colt for life, and will route for us if and when we play Denver. But I will be totally fine if Manning annihilates us, all that shit in the off season could'a been handled better. But one of the things I hate most about being a Colts fan is Jim Fucking Irsay, lol.

Seda is worst Bears fan!

Recent Cutler Stats:

Bears 19-8 in his last 27 starts

Bears 6-0 in his last 6 starts

Bears offense an average of 34 points per game in the last 6 games Cutler has started

Not worried about offensive production at all! Maybe one day when the Niners draft a competent QB you'll be able to get excited about offensive play. Always talking up that Niners D but ignoring the need to score points to win the game.

Recent alex smith Stats:

- 49ers 16-4 in his last 20 starts

- Set 49ers record for longest time without an interception

- Has had a total of 7 combined turnovers in the past season+ (including playoffs)

- Didn't fake an injury so he could leave the NFC Championship game prematurely

- Alex smith has a higher rating than cutler this year

- Alex smith had a higher rating than cutler last year

- Cutler has never had a qb rating of 90

- Cutler has never single handedly won a playoff game like alex has

- Cutler single handedly ruined the broncos franchise for years for pouting when mcdaniels wanted to (rightfully) upgrade the QB position by bringing in matt cassell

- Cutler single handedly ruined the bears franchise (still ongoing) by making them trade multiple first round picks and depleting the possibility of any depth or good players

- Cutler has twice as many turnovers as alex in half the games over the past year lololollllllllllll

Bears are trash and jpout is the most overrated QB in the league. the bears might win a couple games here and there this year but they aren't a good in, in part because jay cutler has held the team hostage

KingGondo

Banned
I was also At the game, and personally never really liked Weeden in the first place. Sure he has a Arm but idk if he can be the long term option for us. Also yeah the D is alittle improved, I like some of depth we have at the Dline, but I think outsiders are giving our D way to much credit just being honest
The bottom line is that this year is probably already lost with that tough schedule, so they need to cut ties with Shurmur and get a fresh start ASAP. They drafted 2 guys in the first round and have completely failed to tailor the offense to their talents. Richardson didn't look very good either except for the helmet play.

It also doesn't help that they have the 2nd or 3rd-worst receiving corps in the entire league.

squicken

I will be a Colt for life, and will route for us if and when we play Denver. But I will be totally fine if Manning annihilates us, all that shit in the off season could'a been handled better. But one of the things I hate most about being a Colts fan is Jim Fucking Irsay, lol.

are you crazy? every owner that's any good would have done the same thing. luck will be fine. it's all the other stuff that needs improving. peyton had faulk and harrison his first year. luck has an aging but still good reggie wayne

Joe Flacco is the greatest QB of all time!!!!!!!

oh you have soooo much atonement ahead for all those cruel things you have said

see5harp

I don't know about Cutler being trash. He's got a cannon. Alex Smith is pretty damn good at getting within 63 yards for the field goal though. That's all we need him to do.

Mrbob

cutler.gif

yep!

and what good is having a qb with a strong arm when he will just fake an injury anytime a big game comes up? cutler is a joke

Wow, this is low tier, even for you!

1) Cutler was really hurt in the playoff game and held out due to doctors! Not even worth a joke!

2) The pick 6 happened in the first 5 minutes of the game, should be disqualified from discussion! Early new season jitters at work, nothing more!

Seda

I don't like Cutler, but I support him. And truthfully, he is the best QB they've had in my lifetime anyway.

But the main thing that worries me (other than the O-line) is the Bears passing defense, which is terrible recently. And guess what, ARod is a bunch better than Luck. He'll rip them to shreds.

Also, Forte is incredibly overrated.

I don't know about Cutler being trash. He's got a cannon. Alex Smith is pretty damn good at getting within 63 yards for the field goal though. That's all we need him to do.

except alex didn't do that, a kap 17 yard run did.

alex smith had 6 incompletions yesterday: 2 throws out of bounds before the half trying to stop the clock before the fg and 3 drops by delaine walker. he carved up the packers D. alex does what he is asked to do. he was asked to make a few plays to get us the lead and then let our run game and our D take us home. and guess what? that's exactly what happened

squicken

except alex didn't do that, a kap 17 yard run did.

alex smith had 6 incompletions yesterday: 2 throws out of bounds before the half trying to stop the clock before the fg and 3 drops by delaine walker. he carved up the packers D. alex does what he is asked to do. he was asked to make a few plays to get us the lead and then let our run game and our D take us home. and guess what? that's exactly what happened

why didn't harbs ask him to convert 3rd downs versus the giants last year?

The bottom line is that this year is probably already lost with that tough schedule, so they need to cut ties with Shurmur and get a fresh start ASAP. They drafted 2 guys in the first round and have completely failed to tailor the offense to their talents. Richardson didn't look very good either except for the helmet play.

It also doesn't help that they have the 2nd or 3rd-worst receiving corps in the entire league.
I still like the Richarson pick and believe he'll be great for us, don't believe our Wrs are that bad. But if Weeden fails this years, I believe him and all the people associated with him/the pick are pretty much gone. This West coast offense thing isn't really working for us, and i know it's cleveland and hard to get free agents but jst trying to build through the draft isn't working /end rant

GO CLEVELAND, Bengals sucks see you this weekend when Trich has a GOAT type game
Edit: also I believe I hate Holmgren

Spinluck

are you crazy? every owner that's any good would have done the same thing. luck will be fine. it's all the other stuff that needs improving. peyton had faulk and harrison his first year. luck has an aging but still good reggie wayne

I wanted us to cut Manning, coming off surgery he would've been annihilated behind this O-line. Plus this team has been falling apart for years, even with Manning, and Polian and Irsay didn't do SHIT about it lol. Because they thought Manning would continue to cover the holes we've had for a while.

I just don't like Irsay, he lied about the Manning situation, and he just seems like an asshole sometimes. Especially on his Twitter, and the way he comes off to the media. The Manning situation was handled so poorly, I have no problem with us cutting him, if anything we did Peyton a favor. But it could've been A LOT more professional.

Manning wanted to be a Colt for life, but that would've been a terrible decision, by him. He would have to settle for less and completely carry a mediocre team again, and as a guy who will be retired in 4-5yrs, there is no way in hell he would've won a championship here lol. We just have waaaay too many holes, that even Peyton couldn't fill in the 2010-2011 season.

why didn't harbs ask him to convert 3rd downs versus the giants last year?

not his fault we were down to our 6th, 7th and 8th string WR's. receivers weren't getting open and it wasn't worth chancing just throwing the ball into double/tight coverage. still had a better game than eli manning. people seem to forget eli served up 2 or 3 easy int's for us but goldson destroyed his own defenders.

now dont be concerned about the best QB in the division (alex). you should be worried about bradford and his god awful accuracy. it's like he has the worst of all worlds: he's inaccurate, has a weak arm and has no pocket presence. oh and he's earning like $20 mil a year or whatever lololllllllllllllllllll

KingGondo

Banned
I still like the Richarson pick and believe he'll be great for us, don't believe our Wrs are that bad. But if Weeden fails this years, I believe him and all the people associated with him/the pick are pretty much gone. This West coast offense thing isn't really working for us, and i know it's cleveland and hard to get free agents but jst trying to build through the draft isn't working /end rant

GO CLEVELAND, Bengals sucks see you this weekend when Trich has a GOAT type game
Edit: also I believe I hate Holmgren
Dude... The receivers are a bunch of overhyped young guys and mid-round pick rookies. There is no "go-to guy." They dropped lots of passes they should have made. They were going against a good secondary, but there weren't many open guy to be found. Taking a chance on a guy like Chad Johnson might be worth it at this point, even if it's just for this season.

And while Richardson has a chance to be a nice player, running him up the middle won't work like it did at Bama. They need to be creative and get him in space with room to work.

Dammit, I can't believe I'm starting to care about the damn Browns. :(

You guys will be fine. Luck would've looked better if he had more weapons other than Reggie Wayne.

squicken

Manning wanted to be a Colt for life, but that would've been a terrible decision, by him. He would have to settle for less and completely carry a mediocre team again, and as a guy who will be retired in 4-5yrs, there is no way in hell he would've won a championship here lol. We just have waaaay too many holes, that even Peyton couldn't fill in the 2010-2011 season.

Peyton wanted to be a Colt for life and make 50% of their salary cap. Polian crapped the bed but Peyton isn't faultless. The OL money went to him

now dont be concerned about the best QB in the division (alex). you should be worried about bradford and his god awful accuracy. it's like he has the worst of all worlds: he's inaccurate, has a weak arm and has no pocket presence. oh and he's earning like $20 mil a year or whatever lololllllllllllllllllll

you troll bradford like i still think he'll amount to anything. and wilson is the best Qb in the division. all the rookie writeups said that even though he looked tannehill bad and lost to kolb, he had his team in it at the end.

Peyton wanted to be a Colt for life and make 50% of their salary cap. Polian crapped the bed but Peyton isn't faultless. The OL money went to him

you troll bradford like i still think he'll amount to anything. and wilson is the best Qb in the division. all the rookie writeups said that even though he looked tannehill bad and lost to kolb, he had his team in it at the end.

except i dont even want to insult russell wilson by comparing him with any QB in the NFC west or even any qb currently in the league. we should be comparing him to the all-time great QB's in NFL history. they only lost because pete carroll held back. i don't know what "IT" is, but russell wilson probably has a big ol dick too!

Spinluck

That was before he was willing to take a pay cut.

And I'm not saying he was faultless, but it'd be a lot to say he was as unprofessional as Jim Irsay. Do you know anything about this guy? He's a clown. Lol.

Spinluck

I believe so. Somebody posted his stats in the other thread and they looked scarily familiar.

EDIT: Here we go.

Lpfbx.png

They're pretty damn close.

I believe in Luck, I'm didn't like the way Irsay treated the situation. With all the shit he said on Twitter, and what he was saying to the media.

Also how he completely overlooked the teams flaws for almost 3yrs.

Narag

I wanted us to cut Manning, coming off surgery he would've been annihilated behind this O-line. Plus this team has been falling apart for years, even with Manning, and Polian and Irsay didn't do SHIT about it lol. Because they thought Manning would continue to cover the holes we've had for a while.

I just don't like Irsay, he lied about the Manning situation, and he just seems like an asshole sometimes. Especially on his Twitter, and the way he comes off to the media. The Manning situation was handled so poorly, I have no problem with us cutting him, if anything we did Peyton a favor. But it could've been A LOT more professional.

I take issue with Polian more than anything especially after the nepotism stuff going on with his kid and forcing long time members out of the organization. Guy fucked things up, thought he was going to get away with tanking, and Irsay cleaned house.

Dude... The receivers are a bunch of overhyped young guys and mid-round pick rookies. There is no "go-to guy." They dropped lots of passes they should have made. They were going against a good secondary, but there weren't many open guy to be found. Taking a chance on a guy like Chad Johnson might be worth it at this point, even if it's just for this season.

And while Richardson has a chance to be a nice player, running him up the middle won't work like it did at Bama. They need to be creative and get him in space with room to work.

Dammit, I can't believe I'm starting to care about the damn Browns. :(
I want to say more to this but I'm getting tired, so all I'll say is welcome to the Browns my friend :)

squicken

That was before he was willing to take a pay cut.

And I'm not saying he was faultless, but it'd be a lot to say he was as unprofessional as Jim Irsay. Do you anything about this guy? He's a clown. Lol.

I follow Irsay on Twitter. I can't believe he owns a team. Clearly the type that inherited money b/c he never could have earned it. I'm also old enough to have watched the Mel Kiper thing live when it first happened. Total clown. But at least he knows enough to not meddle with personnel. Grigson is a sharp guy. Besides QB there is decent talent in AZ. will just take time

Malo

Banned
CHI @ GB
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF
DEN @ ATL

Talon

I follow Irsay on Twitter. I can't believe he owns a team. Clearly the type that inherited money b/c he never could have earned it. I'm also old enough to have watched the Mel Kiper thing live when it first happened. Total clown. But at least he knows enough to not meddle with personnel. Grigson is a sharp guy. Besides QB there is decent talent in AZ. will just take time
...that wasn't Irsay. That was Tobin.

squicken

Folks eliminated from the Suicide Pool already:

Eznark
Deacon

me too. I had Russell over Arizona. Pete Carroll screwed me over just like that year USC didn't destroy OU in the national title game

edit: yeah I remembered but it was too late to edit. i'm old enough to have remembered and then forgotten how it went exactly!

Spinluck

I take issue with Polian more than anything especially after the nepotism stuff going on with his kid and forcing long time members out of the organization. Guy fucked things up, thought he was going to get away with tanking, and Irsay cleaned house.

Yea, I certainly agree that cleaning the house was a good idea. Especially canning Polain, who kept drafting like it was still the 80's-90's. And would never admit he was wrong regarding any of his decisions. Jim Caldwell was a terrible coach that benefited from having Peyton as a QB, I think that was Polian's call. I, at the time, wanted a defensive minded coach, Peyton, and Christensen could've handled the offense on their own. But it's not Polian's way, so of course not, they needed a puppet like Caldwell to boss around.

I do love the attitude him and Grigson are trying to bring into Indy, and even getting Peyton's first QB coach to aid Luck. Getting rid of that terribly outdated Tampa 2 D, and I like Pagano, and the rest of the staff. I think we have a bright future, but the team becoming this bad could've been avoided. But I'm sure most Colts fans were prepared for that day to come. Unlike last yr though, I do think a 8-8 or 9-7 season is possible. But is unlikely.

Doomsayer

CHI @ GB
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF
DEN @ ATL

Well now that week one is over, some 49er thoughts.

Rumors of defense demise were greatly exaggerated. Alex Smith looks calm and poised in the pocket, really confident. I loved what I seen from him against the Pack. Staley needs to get his shit together, Clay ate him up all second half.

Receivers looked good, Crabtree looked quicker and more decisive. Moss looked like he sort of cared. VD is going to beast again this year. Gore looks like he is primed for a great year, I can't remember the last time he had a 100 yard game in week 1...maybe 2008?

Aldon is continuing his success from last year, as is Bowman. Perrish Cox may be stupid as fuck but he looks like a damn solid player. We have 4 good corners, just amazing depth on this team.

Random week 1 thoughts:

Scam looked terrible. TB won that game by default.

Mario Williams is a thief.

Peyton hasn't missed a beat. His arm does look a bit noodle-esque though.

Am I the only one who didn't see Julio Jones being good this year?

Lions looked awful.

Rams, Seahawks, and Cards will be lucky to win 5 games.

Top Bottom