• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

Trasher

Honestly I hope the Lions lose final games. I'd rather lose out thus resulting in this entire coaching staff getting fired than stumbling into the playoffs with this team. We don't deserve a playoff spot, much less a home game. The 49ers would take us to pound town. Fuck that.

We win next week. Easily imo. And then we win against a Giants team that has nothing to play for but a draft pick (I'm going to this game!). Then we beat up on the Vikings that are in the same boat as the Giants. Heck, they should probably even sit AP that final week rather than risk hurting him anymore.

WE GOT DIS

They won't fire Jim after this year anyways. We need to tank a year under .500 for that to even be a possibility. The Ford family will look at all the positives this year and think he did a great job sadly (regardless of making it to the playoffs or not).

Drakeon

Rob Ryan's defense last year had injuries as well and they were never this bad.

Just look at the reverse situation in New Orleans. The Saints D goes from couldn't stop a fly with Lane's dad at DC to pretty darn good with Hairy Rex.

I like how Jerry admitted he fucked up when he fired Rob Ryan (not that Rob Ryan makes this team a playoff team, doubt they ever rise above mediocrity with Garret as head coach and Jerry meddling like he does).

cashman

Banned
Hmmm, QB controversy in Chicago? NFC North is going to be an interesting finish (less interesting if Rodgers isn't able to play against Dallas). That about wraps it up for the Eagles though, they'll coast to the NFC East title now.

Dallas Gaf, is it injuries? Monte Kiffin? A combination of the two? Who is responsible for this awful AWFUL defense that lets teams never punt.

Jerry Jones, he's responsible for hiring Kiffin and the lack of depth in the d line.

xnipx

We win next week. Easily imo. And then we win against a Giants team that has nothing to play for but a draft pick (I'm going to this game!). Then we beat up on the Vikings that are in the same boat as the Giants. Heck, they should probably even sit AP that final week rather than risk hurting him anymore.

WE GOT DIS

They won't fire Jim after this year anyways. We need to tank a year under .500 for that to even be a possibility. The Ford family will look at all the positives this year and think he did a great job sadly (regardless of making it to the playoffs or not).

Easily huh?

Doorman

Very glad I'm not the only Lionish around here who gets this. If I remember it at a good time tomorrow, I was thinking of looking back and seeing what records previous coaches had during the years they were fired. Coming off of a 4-12 season, they'd look at an eight win team as an improvement, claim that "the pieces are falling into place," and keep the staff around for another year at least.

...At which point we'll be throttled for another big letdown next season when Aaron Rodgers is healthy again and the Bears are a year deeper into understanding their new coaching schemes. So maybe after the end of next year we'll be looking for a new head coach, but not before. Not unless the Fords have miraculously changed the way they do business with this team.

So this is that shit i don't respect. You don't know what can happen once this team gets in. This is just pathetic honestly

I disagree. I'd rather lose out than bring this horrible coaching staff back for another year.

There's no excuse for not making the playoffs this year given the injuries in the division, so I definitely think Schwartz would be fired.

Mrbob

So this is that shit i don't respect. You don't know what can happen once this team gets in. This is just pathetic honestly

Anything could happen if you guys had a real head coach. Unfortunately you have Schwartz. He has done his job bringing the Lions back to being relevant. However his usefulness has now passed. Instead of relying on toughness alone the team needs a good tactical coach to take them to the next level. Otherwise Detroit is just squandering the talent they have.

Trasher

Easily huh?

Yeah I think so. We will come out like we did against the Packers on Thanksgiving all pissed off because of last week and dominate defensively again.

I disagree. I'd rather lose out than bring this horrible coaching staff back for another year.

There's no excuse for not making the playoffs this year given the injuries in the division, so I definitely think Schwartz would be fired.

Losing out this year probably won't do it though. I think we are stuck with him for a while yet. :(

Anything could happen if you guys had a real head coach. Unfortunately you have Schwartz. He has done his job bringing the Lions back to being relevant. Instead of relying on toughness alone the team needs a good tactical coach to take them to the next level. Otherwise Detroit is just squandering the talent they have.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you, boobs.

Drakeon

Anything could happen if you guys had a real head coach. Unfortunately you have Schwartz. He has done his job bringing the Lions back to being relevant. Instead of relying on toughness alone the team needs a good tactical coach to take them to the next level. Otherwise Detroit is just squandering the talent they have.

Is 1 playoff appearance really what we would consider relevant when they go 4-12 the next year? It's not like they put together back to back winning seasons.

Doorman

It's not like teams with question marks going into the playoffs haven't won a Super Bowl before. It's not like whoever we go against gonna stomp us at home I might add.

Actually...I think you'd find that a lot of people are feeling that way. This year is starting to shape up really similarly to the last time we went to the playoffs, only winning games against sub-par teams while those with real quality handle us. The only difference is that this year we took both games against the Bears and paid for it by losing to even sadder teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. And again, our home field hasn't really proven out to be a killer's den for opponents in the past few years.

cashman

Banned
So I've been watching a few anime series, and I've really been enjoying them...

I feel like I'm slowly turning into cajunator.

Mrbob

Is 1 playoff appearance really what we would consider relevant when they go 4-12 the next year? It's not like they put together back to back winning seasons.

I guess I'm thinking of the viewpoint form 0-16 to where they are now. The Lions are a weird team. It is sad they are dumpster diving with the Bears and Packers for the division crown. The Lions have decent talent on both sides of the ball and are relatively injury free compared to the Bears and Packers.

This is why I put it on coaching. Detroit has talent and they aren't terrible anymore. However, I feel they aren't as good as they should be either and the teams talent is being under utilized.

Drakeon

It's not like teams with question marks going into the playoffs haven't won a Super Bowl before. It's not like whoever we go against gonna stomp us at home I might add.
Uh, Detroit doesn't really have a great home field advantage. Plus the two wild card teams have a better record than Detroit as it stands (Niners and Panthers).

Trasher

Actually...I think you'd find that a lot of people are feeling that way. This year is starting to shape up really similarly to the last time we went to the playoffs, only winning games against sub-par teams while those with real quality handle us. The only difference is that this year we took both games against the Bears and paid for it by losing to even sadder teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. And again, our home field hasn't really proven out to be a killer's den for opponents in the past few years.

We have a decent shot against anyone in a dome. Doesn't mean we are gonna win every time though.

Our best case scenario would be to somehow play the 9ers or the Panthers at Ford Field.

Our team is pretty similar to that Giants team that won it all a few years ago. Similar, that is, to how the playoffs are shaping up for us if we even make it.

squicken

You're nuts. You're way leads to, at best, and occasional playoff game with an immediate exit every few years. That's the best case scenario. b/c the coach is a loser. Teams with loser moron coaches don't go on playoff runs. Good Lions fans are thinking long term and looking for losses

I'm aware what this bored think doesn't make it true.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
1425724_10152037197028605_1781656045_n.jpg

"Everyone calm the fuck down, I got this"

Trasher

I actually was thinking of how it would be hilarious if Kas came in and posted a "Calm the fuck down everyone. I got this." image with CJ/Suh/Stafford lol.

You're nuts. You're way leads to, at best, and occasional playoff game with an immediate exit every few years. That's the best case scenario. b/c the coach is a loser. Teams with loser moron coaches don't go on playoff runs. Good Lions fans are thinking long term and looking for losses

I'm never gonna root for my team to lose when we got a change to get into the playoffs and possibly do some damage. Just cause everyone thinks we got a moron coach and is gonna be an easy out doesn't mean it always turns out a one and done performance.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I have no faith the Lions can beat the Ravens, let alone go anywhere in the playoffs. The Lions are probably the best team in their division but that doesn't mean much when they can't beat any good team due to coaching and stupid mistakes. They've completely negated their easy as hell schedule.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wtf they beat philly? Could have sworn he didn't "get this" but maybe I have a bad memory. Great win for the lions!

It's a marathon not a sprint brother. We're 4-1 in the division, and 2-0 against the Bears. I still think we pull 2 of the last 3 and get that home playoff game. Regardless the numbers play in our favor against the Bears and Packers.

Once we get that home playoff game anything can happen.

I'd love for a Round 3 Schwartz v. Harbaugh with us actually having a running game unlike the last two times you guys barely beat us.

I have no faith the Lions can beat the Ravens, let alone go anywhere in the playoffs. The Lions are probably the best team in their division but that doesn't mean much when they can't beat any good team due to coaching and stupid mistakes. They've completely negated their easy as hell schedule.

What if I told you I didn't care what you think
morpheus.png

squicken

I'm never gonna root for my team to lose when we got a change to get into the playoffs and possibly do some damage. Just cause everyone thinks we got a moron coach and is gonna be an easy out doesn't mean it always turns out a one and done performance.

I don't mean to be rude about it

But I just don't get how Lions fans can't appreciate the history. The Lions squandered Barry Sanders' career with Wayne Fontes. Occasional good season but mostly mediocre. One playoff win

Why waste any more of Megatron's career? How can there be no institutional knowledge amongst the owners there about what has come before and how Megatron is carrying a bunch of stupid people far beyond what they are really capable of? I've never seen anything like Shortz losing that Thanksgiving game. Even at he nadir of Ron Rivera sitting naked and alone and sniffing glue, was he ever so stupid

But I just don't get how Lions fans can't appreciate the history. The Lions squandered Barry Sanders' career with Wayne Fontes. Occasional good season but mostly mediocre. One playoff win

Why waste any more of Megatron's career? How can there be no institutional knowledge amongst the owners there about what has come before and how Megatron is carrying a bunch of stupid people far beyond what they are really capable of? I've never seen anything like Shortz losing that Thanksgiving game. Even at he nadir of Ron Rivera sitting naked and alone and sniffing glue, was he ever so stupid

Wayne Fontes put them in an NFC Championship game and I'm pretty sure Bobby Ross was the main reason he retired. What ever happened to Fontes he's literally the only Lions coach to give them back to back winning seasons. Fontes was never the problem them never putting a legit team around Barry was the problem

Trasher

It's a marathon not a sprint brother. We're 4-1 in the division, and 2-0 against the Bears. I still think we pull 2 of the last 3 and get that home playoff game. Regardless the numbers play in our favor against the Bears and Packers.

Once we get that home playoff game anything can happen.

I'd love for a Round 3 Schwartz v. Harbaugh with us actually having a running game unlike the last two times you guys barely beat us.

I think this current Lions team would take a huge Alyssa Milano dump all over FMT's 9ers this year.

zychi

Banned
Just got back from the game. Second coldest I have ever been at a sporting event in my life.

I wish Hester would've been able to return that last kick for the record after the stadium cleared out, it would've been amazing, dumb ref pretended like marsh called fair catch.

Please come back Cutler, so many idiot Bears fans want McCown. Not me

Have we beaten a good team this year? A good team would clown us in the playoffs, come off. Are you gonna say the 49ers wouldn't shut us down? What about Carolina? And in the case we see Philly...yeah.

Stafford is regressing, our offense constantly looks ugly in the second half of games, and we can't stop turning the ball over. Someone needs to be fired.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

The problem a lot of Lions fans have, and most fans in general, is letting go of the past. A lot of Lions fans are justified to be nervous about this team, but this is a fun, exciting and talented team. I love watching this team play every week, and we have been in every single game down to the last minutes. It's tough and I understand the sentiments for a coaching change considering the talent we have, but screw turning down a divisional title and home playoff game. I don't want to sit around this postseason. It sucks.

When we get it clicking I think we can beat any team in the league.

Those Barry Sanders years didn't have someone like Matthew Stafford at Quarterback or a generational defensive player like Suh. It's a much different team, look and its nice to have a franchise QB with an arm.

I think this current Lions team would take a huge Alyssa Milano dump all over FMT's 9ers this year.

I absolutely agree. They're probably the team I want to see most because of the rivalry and because I think its a solid W for us.

Trasher

Have we beaten a good team this year? A good team would clown us in the playoffs, come off. Are you gonna say the 49ers wouldn't shut us down? What about Carolina? And in the case we see Philly...yeah.

Stafford is regressing, our offense constantly looks ugly in the second half of games, and we can't stop turning the ball over. Someone needs to be fired.

Night is darkest just before the dawn.

Honestly I hope the Lions lose final games. I'd rather lose out thus resulting in this entire coaching staff getting fired than stumbling into the playoffs with this team. We don't deserve a playoff spot, much less a home game. The 49ers would take us to pound town. Fuck that.

I like you PD.

Would have been far more upset if we were still in the post season mix after the way we got screwed in that patriots game, typical Browns fashion and all that.

Anyways, it is what it is. Here's to another injury free week.

Also, Josh Gordon is really good.

Drakeon

Would have been far more upset if we were still in the post season mix after the way we got screwed in that patriots game, typical Browns fashion and all that.

Anyways, it is what it is. Here's to another injury free week.

Also, Josh Gordon is really good.
Josh Gordon looks like a top 5 wr at this point. And he's had Weeden and Campbell throwing to him for the most part. You've got something good going there with him and Cameron. Just need a QB and RB.

Trasher

Josh Gordon is amazing.

Calvin Johnson had a nice run at the top. RIP
Unless Gordon runs into more drug problems

Top Bottom