• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You guys inherited the Atlanta Thrashers. It's a team so it's better than nothing, but the Thrashers were bad before the move too. They really need to make some serious moves to compete at this point cause magically transporting a franchise with a better fan base doesn't make it a better team.

The Leafs playing shit isn't half as bad as the shit that happened to them. We all saw the signs and knew what was coming.

Sundin retired/leaving. Management meddling. Trading picks for players past their prime. Bad scouting and bad trades. An inexperienced GM who was hired for his low salary and not his hockey knowledge. Terrible Toskolola goal tending. No system or structure in place due to Ron Fucking Wilson. Unwillingness to develop young players and have patience with them.

We're not out of the woods yet and nobody is planning the parade except for Leiweke for some reason.

Management still meddles too much - Burke firing
Still bad scouting and bad trades - Still some of this going on, but at least some of these transactions have panned out for us.

Eh I don't think management is meddling so much as they just didn't want Burke being the head of this team. They would have let go of Nonis and everyone else if they weren't happy.

I truly believe since Burke came in they've been hands off the entire time unlike the JFJ years.

Also I like to think Leiweke was trying to take back the phrase but obviously failed terribly.

edit: Also screw you Quick, where were you to back me up in that first year when everyone started to turn on Kessel? I was all alone supporting him!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I don't think management is meddling so much as they just didn't want Burke being the head of this team. They would have let go of Nonis and everyone else if they weren't happy.

I truly believe since Burke came in they've been hands off the entire time unlike the JFJ years.

Also I like to think Leiweke was trying to take back the phrase but obviously failed terribly.

edit: Also screw you Quick, where were you to back me up in that first year when everyone started to turn on Kessel? I was all alone supporting him!
I don't like it cause he was doing a decent job considering what he had to work with and just cause they didn't like him, they got rid of him.

Quick

Banned

Kavey pls.

I wasn't even here yet!

Stasis

Ack, Stralman. Really looked accidental but Stafford slammed in into the boards pretty hard as he was already going down =/

Quick

Banned
That Coke Zero commercial with Stamkos is pretty funny. Special guest: Bobo.

iXAlo1AbG7UMX.gif
ij8reb3VdiXJI.gif
ib0EUksFaYLKXp.gif
iHr8QldrRXV3b.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kreider, man. So good. This kid finally looks legit.

Shots 38-18 after 2. Hank has looked great against the little he's been tested with.

Rangers were pretty much just fucking around with them by the end of the period, which was resulting in a bunch of odd man rushes the other way.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello line has 17 shots in the game. The Sabres have 18.

And now Al Trautwig is talking to Zucc about meatloaf, wtf is this? :D

Parch

Interesting take on the Downie trade, some shit in there that I didn't know about.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was some locker room friction that we'll probably never know about. Downie has a way, and this trade just doesn't smell right.

Erdrick

I kind of wish we had a guy like Tortorella, if nothing else for his brutal honesty but... Well, don't get me wrong, I like Claude Noel, and would be sad to see him go for the most part if or when it happens, but he's on a limited time clock here, methinks... I also have no idea who would even replace him... Charlie Huddy at least would look like a scary enough SOB on the bench... lol I've heard rumours that Nashville may be looking at firing their coach... Maybe he'd be a good candidate if worst comes to worst...

I guess I just figured that with the freeing of guys like Antropov, Hainsey, Burmistrov, Wellwood and the like, the Jets would be a better team overall with the addition of Frolik to help out on the PK and Setoguchi to bolster with some offence. Trouba (When he returns) has been outstanding and Scheifele should be left with Kane and Setoguchi on the 2nd line to gel with them further. Instead, Noel has been scrubbing along and been looking for new line combos. I want us to get solid lines. I think we have them. Just leave them as be and worry about other issues, like Bogosian tripping over himself into the net or something.

Our PP is a whopping 11.3% or around? That's just gross.

Ah well, nothing to do except hope for better results this month. I knew this team was nothing spectacular when we got it (And truth be told, I used to confuse them with Nashville all the time.) but no matter. It's still better than none, and we have made it our own. We can only go up for the most part. I'll still always be grateful for having NHL hockey back, no matter the current product. I'm going to my 4th game on Monday already this year, and at the very least, it's an excuse to have beers galore with friends.

I only had about 6 kids come to my home tonight for Halloween... pretty quiet.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't like it cause he was doing a decent job considering what he had to work with and just cause they didn't like him, they got rid of him.

Not saying I agreed with it, but it was obvious they decided they didn't like how he went about doing things so they canned him. It's unfortunately within their right to do that but really if that's the only "meddling" they'll be doing I'll take it.

Most importantly they kept together the management team Burke put together and we're still benefiting from it.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some locker room friction that we'll probably never know about. Downie has a way, and this trade just doesn't smell right.

If it's not part of a larger deal (like I'm still blindly hoping for), there was clearly some stink surrounding Downie in the organization. He never really sat well with me even when he was producing, but when he's producing he's easier to deal with I guess. I'm glad we at least traded him to the east, I'd hate for him to be in the west after we traded him. No thanks.

You can't expect me to not say STL after the Lapierre hit (he's a FORMER Canuck, yes. FORMER.) and the way Backes acted after our OT win against you guys.

Lapierre wears the Blue Note for 5 games and that makes the Blues dirty? What logic. Nevermind the fact that he's been the same way his entire career. Fuck Lapierre. I hated him when he played against us and I don't like the way he's played for us this year.

Backes took offense to an uncalled penalty against Petro that could have prevented the GWG. It's not like he pulled a fucking Bertuzzi on a Sedin or something.

Quick

Banned
Have the Sabres worn their new alternate jersey yet? They've been quiet about it since the reveal.

It's a shitty jersey, so I don't blame them for throwing them out.

Don't forget about dumping the puck and not going after it!

Don't forget about taking bad penalties with three minutes left and a lead.

Edit: beaten to the "Don't forget about..." punch. :shakesfist

I've not forgotten these things dear friends!!!!

I also haven't forgotten that time where Giggy shut out the Bruins at TD Gahden and made Jack Edwards yell naughty words on live television!!!!!!!!

And Lovejoy and Fowler seem a widdle lost...

MacAttack

Iggy is nasty. I can't help but think about how things might have played out last year if the Bs got him instead of Jagr.

Still love Jagr but he was playing on fumes.

Nobody injured, we came out with a point and Marchand McRatface didn't score.

Things could've been way worse than that.

Bonino and Perry had the worst attempts ever. We need Silfverberg back with his lasers immediately.

And seriously, how fucking terrible does our PP need to be before someone steps in and says HEY MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE COACHING OF IT? All we needed to do was convert ONE of those chances.

Heretic

Nobody injured, we came out with a point and Marchand McRatface didn't score.

Things could've been way worse than that.

Bonino and Perry had the worst attempts ever. We need Silfverberg back with his lasers immediately.

And seriously, how fucking terrible does our PP need to be before someone steps in and says HEY MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE COACHING OF IT? All we needed to do was convert ONE of those chances.

Absolutely!

Top Bottom