• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think Parch is just getting salty because he realizes Edmonton has become the laughing stock of the league.

But congrats you made the finals in 2006.

edit:

Also congrats Sanjuro on the world series, I wish I was a salty idiot Jays fan so you could rub it in to me about Farrell but alas.

Sanjuro

I think Parch is just getting salty because he realizes Edmonton has become the laughing stock of the league.

But congrats you made the finals in 2006.

edit:

Also congrats Sanjuro on the world series, I wish I was a salty idiot Jays fan so you could rub it in to me about Farrell but alas.

Edmonton can't qualify for that, they were the last real dynasty.

I love those Jays fans! They don't make any sense, but love being upset.

MutFox

Banned
Everyone hates the Leafs.

Even on away games they basically force the home teams to play at the Leafs time.
They get princessed and still suck.

I don't even know of another sport/league where a home team has to constantly play at an away team's time.

To be fair, a lot of those away games are home games for us anyways ;)

A lot of teams have that...

Leaf fans will always make excuses though,
since they actually believe they're in the centre of the universe...

im big yankjees fan. go the big new york. big apple. go0 the new york yankeses world series premier champi0n baseball teem. big players b ig stars big team go hard or go home kid his is yankees town.

Sanjuro

im big yankjees fan. go the big new york. big apple. go0 the new york yankeses world series premier champi0n baseball teem. big players b ig stars big team go hard or go home kid his is yankees town.

Is that kid who pretends to be mentally challenged, loves taco bell, and has a gig on SNL now?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Well we kinda are bro. You said it yourself we get games changed to our time and not the home team's time.

You can't get that unless you're the centre of the universe.

A buddy of mine just texted me saying he saw a rumor online that Downie was smangin' Varlamov's girlfriend, which led to this whole situation.

That can't be true, can it?

Quick

Banned

At least we're not paying the bill.

iUCv0fGUN6SEt.gif

Just never won a cup? You can't win if you can't even make the finals.

Lets look at Canadian team success since expansion...

Winnipeg Jets - They're noobs (again), reasonable excuse.
Ottawa Senators - One final, One President's Trophy.
Vancouver Canucks - Two finals, Two President's Trophies.
Calgary Flames - Three finals, One Stanley Cup, Two President's Trophies.
Edmonton Oilers - Seven finals, Five Stanley Cups, Two President's Trophies
Montreal Canadiens - Ten finals, Nine Stanley Cups

Toronto Maple Leafs - NOTHING, ZIP, NADA

Leafs have done nothing for decades. Winning an occasional playoff round is not success. They do have one thing. They have the honor of being Canada's laughing-stock generation after generation.

Please make the playoffs again.

Other teams need good draft picks too.

Erdrick

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone, but until my own team can get their act together, I can't really go full out mocking them as usual. Also helps that so far, they have been respectable this year. Not that I really needed an NHL team back to hate them. The constant over-exposure and pandering to the team and franchise is sickening, much like when the team comes here, all the Leafs fans dust off their jerseys and storm our rink. Utterly disgusting.

I'm not much of an Oilers fan either, BUT at least they were actually a dominant force and relevant in my lifetime, and have ironically still come closer to a cup than Toronto has ever in my life. The Oilers are just so bad though... Like... Why aren't you guys good yet? It's the same thing every year, about how they have such a young and exciting team, and bam, bottom of the league, again. The Leafs, at least have visibly improved (much to my chagrin) But I attribute that to having an Ex-Winnipeg Jet as their coach. The last time the Leafs made it far in the playoffs was... when, the semi's in 1993 against LA? (I'm not sure, since I quit watching hockey for many years after the Jets 1.0 moved to Phoenix.) I was so happy when the Kings eliminated them.

Like I said at the start though, I can't talk too much, since my own team is a mess, and until they start producing some actual results... I'm just going to have to deal with the growing pains of this franchise. I'm a very patient man, so I can deal with mediocrity while we improve. (Key word being Improve.) I still think our coach is toast. I think we have players that are not playing as well as they should. The blame is not on the GM in this one... I fully expect Chicago to tear us a new one on Saturday, and as for the Red Wings... Who knows? I'll be at that game, so I hope it's at least worth watching unlike some of the other games I have been to so far this year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Did the fans ask for the treatment? No.
The point they're trying to make is we deserve it.

I also like the center of the universe shot. I've yet to see or hear someone actually from Toronto say it without it being a joke.

As for us being the home team, just ask the Buffalo and Ottawa fans.

Quick

Banned
The Jets have good pieces in their roster, and it's only a matter of time and a few moves before they crack through and make the playoffs.

Being back in the Western Conference in the Central Division is infinitely better than being stuck in the Southeast, too.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Jets have good pieces in their roster, and it's only a matter of time and a few moves before they crack through and make the playoffs.

Being back in the Western Conference in the Central Division is infinitely better than being stuck in the Southeast, too.

I'm trying to identify the hateful pieces of this post, but I'm failing

most annoying team itself? I'll go say St. Louis and Los Angeles, because they have a reputation and history of playing dirty.

There's no basis for that regarding STL anymore than any other team in the West. Lapierre is a former Canuck, and he can fuck off until he cleans up his act. Jackman is more an agitator than anything else. It's easy to get under Backes' skin, but he's no more a dirty player than Joe Thornton.

Ban hitting I guess.

Merguson

Banned
Players come and go. Good management ensures the team is good.

Draft all the 1st overalls you want, not going anywhere without good management to handle a rebuild and remain competitive throughout the years.

Smiley90

There's no basis for that regarding STL anymore than any other team in the West. Lapierre is a former Canuck, and he can fuck off until he cleans up his act. Jackman is more an agitator than anything else. It's easy to get under Backes' skin, but he's no more a dirty player than Joe Thornton.

Ban hitting I guess.

You can't expect me to not say STL after the Lapierre hit (he's a FORMER Canuck, yes. FORMER.) and the way Backes acted after our OT win against you guys.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seriously speaking,

The Oilers not making the playoffs this year may be a blessing. You'd hope the owner would take a look at management and realize a lot of the problems start there and can their asses.

Erdrick

It's just so... frustrating to see this team flop around this year. Not that I'm trying to sound like Crazed and his doom and gloom on the Red Wings which he seems to always have, but these guys are supposed to be professionals. Not some minor league goons who can barely tie their skate, let alone make a pass. It's like every game now "Who will take a stupid penalty or give the puck away with 2 mins left, THIS time?"

I see little flashes of brilliance, and some competence but some of the back end passing is straight out of Sergei Bautin and Igor Ulanov's playbooks of giveaways and coughing up the puck.

I really don't want any of the players gone, as I think they can gel, but I really question the coaching now. The excuses are running out and wearing thin. I also don't want to hear this western conference is harder nonsense. It's still the damn damn league. Play like you belong in it!

I'm not hitting the panic button though. It's still early in the season, but if this team does not get it together by Christmas... It's time for a new coach. Or at the very least, a new PP coach. That's a huge issue right now for us. Also subpar goaltending from our number one netminder. Montoya should play more. He's played better than Pavelec this year in comparison, considering.

Seriously, how the hell do/did you guys put up with it when the Leafs were near the bottom over the years? I've dealt with it, being a Jets fan all my life, but some nights... It's simply unbearable and embarrassing to witness first-hand.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Shots 19-6 in favor of the Rangers in the first. I bow to your tanking prowess, Buffalo.

Also, our power play has scored 3 times in the last 4 periods. WTF is this?!

Parch

Like I said at the start though, I can't talk too much, since my own team is a mess, and until they start producing some actual results... I'm just going to have to deal with the growing pains of this franchise.
Winnipeg expectations might have been a tad high, and that's what makes it frustrating. That's what the Jets and the Oilers have in common. You expect improvement and it just doesn't happen. Edmonton has made it an annual habit lately.

Acid08

Banned
You can't expect me to not say STL after the Lapierre hit (he's a FORMER Canuck, yes. FORMER.) and the way Backes acted after our OT win against you guys.
Lapierre was a dirty cunt on every team he has ever been on. It's hard to call entire teams dirty because of one player. I think it's the style of game that the Blues and Kings play that makes them more dirty than any one of their single players does.

Smiley90

Lapierre was a dirty cunt on every team he has ever been on. It's hard to call entire teams dirty because of one player. I think it's the style of game that the Blues and Kings play that makes them more dirty than any one of their single players does.

Dustin Brown.

say pals, who's excited about the upcoming Coyotes and Preds game? hot dog!

YOU HAVE THE SEDINS HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

The only reason I even know this game is happening is because I have Vrbata on my fantasy team.

And I don't know man :( You have Perry and Getzlaf!

Quick

Banned
It's just so... frustrating to see this team flop around this year. Not that I'm trying to sound like Crazed and his doom and gloom on the Red Wings which he seems to always have, but these guys are supposed to be professionals. Not some minor league goons who can barely tie their skate, let alone make a pass. It's like every game now "Who will take a stupid penalty or give the puck away with 2 mins left, THIS time?"

I see little flashes of brilliance, and some competence but some of the back end passing is straight out of Sergei Bautin and Igor Ulanov's playbooks of giveaways and coughing up the puck.

I really don't want any of the players gone, as I think they can gel, but I really question the coaching now. The excuses are running out and wearing thin. I also don't want to hear this western conference is harder nonsense. It's still the damn damn league. Play like you belong in it!

I'm not hitting the panic button though. It's still early in the season, but if this team does not get it together by Christmas... It's time for a new coach. Or at the very least, a new PP coach. That's a huge issue right now for us. Also subpar goaltending from our number one netminder. Montoya should play more. He's played better than Pavelec this year in comparison, considering.

Seriously, how the hell do/did you guys put up with it when the Leafs were near the bottom over the years? I've dealt with it, being a Jets fan all my life, but some nights... It's simply unbearable and embarrassing to witness first-hand.

Claude Noel's shtick seems like it can wear on people quickly. He reminds me of Tortorella.

The team knew it was going to be tough rebuilding the roster, and it took a lot of time and patience. They built through the draft, and built a solid development team with the Marlies to just let them grow.

There's been some missteps along the way, but there's been key trades to help us too. Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Gardiner, Franson, Lupul and Bernier have been key trade acquisitions that make up a good part of the core.

I guess, as a Leafs fan, I just knew that progress was being made and things could get worse before it got better, which it did. One of the 1st rounders traded to Boston ended up being Seguin, which would've been helpful in the rebuild, but I never regretted the Kessel trade.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You guys inherited the Atlanta Thrashers. It's a team so it's better than nothing, but the Thrashers were bad before the move too. They really need to make some serious moves to compete at this point cause magically transporting a franchise with a better fan base doesn't make it a better team.

The Leafs playing shit isn't half as bad as the shit that happened to them. We all saw the signs and knew what was coming.

Sundin retired/leaving. Management meddling. Trading picks for players past their prime. Bad scouting and bad trades. An inexperienced GM who was hired for his low salary and not his hockey knowledge. Terrible Toskolola goal tending. No system or structure in place due to Ron Fucking Wilson. Unwillingness to develop young players and have patience with them.

We're not out of the woods yet and nobody is planning the parade except for Leiweke for some reason.

Management still meddles too much - Burke firing
Still bad scouting and bad trades - Still some of this going on, but at least some of these transactions have panned out for us.

Parch

I really don't want any of the players gone, as I think they can gel, but I really question the coaching now.
When I first looked at the Jet roster I thought they had some decent depth. I still think it's too early to panic. Those early slumps can't last all season. I like watching Byfuglien. He's a bit reckless with the risk taking and that's burned him, but he can get it together and create a lot of chances.
Schiefele is pretty much third line now, right? If he can get that line producing, I think the Jets still could make a decent run for the playoffs.

Stasis

Shots 19-6 in favor of the Rangers in the first. I bow to your tanking prowess, Buffalo.

Also, our power play has scored 3 times in the last 4 periods. WTF is this?!

So many shots, so little goals!

This 1-0 lead makes me nervous despite our play. One Henke softie and it's back to a question mark.

Edit: nm. KREIDS!

Top Bottom