• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Samyy

ok since im trying to get into hockey now and only know football

can someone kinda do cross referencing with the nfl to help me understand how things work around here? for example: is there a team thats as annoying and has an annoying fanbase as the cowboys or what is the "cowboys" of the nhl? who is currently the best player and goalie in the nhl? I do read power rankings so I got an idea about team rankings. Is there any team that usually is bad like the browns? Are there any cities unworthy of a fanbase/team like the jags? also what are the most marketable teams(teams seen most on tv) that could compare to say like commercials always showing cowboys, eagles, giants, pats, manning(he is the team), and etc? also what are the most hated and liked teams?

sorry for all the questions but im really curious to how things work. also scarrr and penulty

Annoying teams and fanbases: Probably Pittsburgh
AND VANCOUVER
Best Player: Sidney Crosby

Best Goalie: eh... not really sure. Before this season I would have said Henrik Lundqvist of the NY Rangers but he is off to a really bad start.

Usually bad teams: Edmonton, Florida

Unworthy of a team: Phoenix and Florida (sorry dubbed). These teams home games are pretty empty and you can get tickets for pocket change.

Most marketable teams: Pittsburgh, NYR in the US I think. Maybe the Washington Capitals a couple years ago. Probably Chicago and LA as well. In Canada its all about the Leafs and Habs in terms of coverage I believe.

Most Hated: Probably Pittsburgh/ LA

Cat Party

can someone kinda do cross referencing with the nfl to help me understand how things work around here? for example: is there a team thats as annoying and has an annoying fanbase as the cowboys or what is the "cowboys" of the nhl? who is currently the best player and goalie in the nhl? I do read power rankings so I got an idea about team rankings. Is there any team that usually is bad like the browns? Are there any cities unworthy of a fanbase/team like the jags? also what are the most marketable teams(teams seen most on tv) that could compare to say like commercials always showing cowboys, eagles, giants, pats, manning(he is the team), and etc? also what are the most hated and liked teams?

sorry for all the questions but im really curious to how things work. also scarrr and penulty
Leafs = Cowboys.

Crosby is the best skater. Best goalie is up in the air these days.

The Florida teams and Phoenix are the Jaguars. Problem is, Phoenix and Tampa Bay are good. The Oilers and Panthers have been terrible for a long time, but the NHL's Browns are definitely the Islanders.

The most loved team is obviously the Sharks.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Most annoying fan base you'll get different answers from everyone.

I'm gonna go say Pittsburgh too AND THE LEAFS. FUCK YOU SAMMY

most annoying team itself? I'll go say St. Louis and Los Angeles, because they have a reputation and history of playing dirty.

Best player is Sidney Crosby and anyone who says otherwise is weird. Steven Stamkos and Alex Ovechkin are up there, but they're more pure scorers, while Crosby is an allround player.

Usually/long-term bad teams are the Oilers, Panthers, Flames that come to mind.

Cities unworthy of a team are the Phoenix Coyotes. Fuck them. They've made deficits FOREVER and NEARLY got relocated to canada this year, but a company saved them with taxpayer money, basically.

Most marketable are the Leafs, Habs, Bruins, Hawks and Penguins I'll say. They're huge.

Most hated (aside from STL/LA) is a highly fan base-dependent answer. I'm a Canucks fan but I know a lot of fans/teams hate us. Boo them. :p our biggest hated/rivals are probably the Bruins, Hawks and to a lesser/canada-based extent the Leafs at the moment.

Most well-liked generally are probably the Winnipeg Jets (they just got ther team back through relocation) and the Columbus Blue Jackets (used to suck, but have decent staff, good young players and haven't done anything to upset other teams)

That's.... About it :p

Smiley90

Canucks and LA suck, really all you need to know.

Acid, bro, you're making it real hard for me to get over your avatar if you keep backstabbing me like this. I thought our hate for the queens and history of playoff choking would unite us :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Varlamov's gf said her family in Russian has gotten threats now and that he's done it before but cops in other countries just ignored it. Even if he is released, I don't know how you can let him back into the locker room with such a young team.

Varlamov's gf said her family in Russian has gotten threats now and that he's done it before but cops in other countries just ignored it. Even if he is released, I don't know how you can let him back into the locker room with such a young team.
The problem is validating any of what she's saying. Simple pictures of the bruising would do it. Police reports from when it's been reported before, anything. Until that happens it's her word against his. However, I've read in a few different places that the police report from this incident included police witnessing bruises on her arm so those pictures must exist? I don't know. It's still too early to call it one way or another. Need evidence.

Clydefrog

UCz0XOB.jpg

7U7jUf6.jpg

fucking LOL

dare you to start a thread about it

Montreal are chippy smurfs

The Penguins are overrated except when they're not.

Vancouver has a persecution complex (sorry)

The Oilers will always be terrible

Don't listen to Cakeboss except when he pretends to be drunk.

Red_Man

The problem is validating any of what she's saying. Simple pictures of the bruising would do it. Police reports from when it's been reported before, anything. Until that happens it's her word against his. However, I've read in a few different places that the police report from this incident included police witnessing bruises on her arm so those pictures must exist? I don't know. It's still too early to call it one way or another. Need evidence.
Guy wouldn't turn himself in if she was making it all up.

Guy wouldn't turn himself in if she was making it all up.

Are people really so stupid? Sorry, but I've seen this a lot "he wouldn't turn himself in if he were innocent!" If someone were to file charges against it's in your best interest to turn yourself in, you're going to get arrested regardless.

Red_Man

Are people really so stupid? Sorry, but I've seen this a lot "he wouldn't turn himself in if he were innocent!" If someone were to file charges against it's in your best interest to turn yourself in, you're going to get arrested regardless.
And what does she gain from making this up? She moved here from Hong Kong to stay with him, she gains nothing by coming up with some bs story like this.

And what does she gain from making this up? She moved here from Hong Kong to stay with him, she gains nothing by coming up with some bs story like this.

I didn't say she did make it up, I said it's silly people don't understand why an innocent person would turn themselves in if they were accused of a crime.

manfestival

Thank you guys for the responses

I do feel better informed now and lots of things ive seen before make sense now. especially a lot of those leafs jokes

Could be for any reason. I'm not going to speculate on that shit because no one actually knows what's going on except for the two of them at this point, but turning one's self in while having a warrant out for your arrest is not even close to an admission of guilt.

RC

Banned
Montreal are chippy smurfs

The Penguins are overrated except when they're not.

Vancouver has a persecution complex (sorry)

The Oilers will always be terrible

Don't listen to Cakeboss except when he pretends to be drunk.

But everyone IS against us! The homeless guy outside of Rogers Arena told me so.

Smiley90

Thank you guys for the responses

I do feel better informed now and lots of things ive seen before make sense now. especially a lot of those leafs jokes

Those will never get old.

You should stop by here on Saturday between 4pm and 7pm PST, when one of the most salt/enriched games of the season is going to happen between the Leafs and the Canucks. The two biggest fanbases on GAF, two Canadian rival teams and the Leafs haven't won in Vancouver in like 10 years.

You should stop by here on Saturday between 4pm and 7pm, when one of the most salt/enriched games of the season is going to happen between the Leafs and the Canucks. The two biggest fanbases on GAF, two Canadian rival teams and the Leafs haven't won in Vancouver in like 10 years.

You forgot to add in the part where the Leafs are actually good now, and could totally end up destroying Vancouver that night.

THAT'S the salt I want to see.

Smiley90

You forgot to add in the part where the Leafs are actually good now, and could totally end up destroying Vancouver that night.

THAT'S the salt I want to see.

That's part of why this game will be one of the saltiest of the season. The leafs for the first time in a long time have a decent team and dreams and hopes that need to be crushed like their souls in the last 10 minutes of round 1.

Red_Man

Not at all true.

You can trust me.

I'm a lawyer.
Not sure if Gaf meme or actual lawyer.

Woah woah woah who said she was making it up?
If you question her claims then you're implying she's making it up, and if there are police reports out there of witnessing the bruises then I don't see the why you would question her. It doesn't make any sense for her to go this route if it didn't actually happen.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I hate to admit it, but the Leafs are definitely the Cowboys of the NHL

I've brought it up, someone pointed out the Leafs are more like the New York Jets.

Haven't won in forever but sack lathered by the media as soon as we do anything good or bad.

Smiley90

I've brought it up, someone pointed out the Leafs are more like the New York Jets.

Haven't won in forever but sack lathered by the media as soon as we do anything good or bad.

"the Leafs are like the Jets"

QUICK, GET DOWN FROM THAT LEDGE, YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

These answers are probably pretty similar to everyone else's:

Cowboys = Maple Leafs (for ubiquity and annoyance while usually being mediocre) or Penguins (bandwagoners' team of choice)

Best player = generally agreed to be Sidney Crosby...see also: Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos (for pure goal scoring)

Best goalie = generally agreed to be Henrik Lundqvist (though he has been injured for most of this season so far and is only just now back to more or less 100%)

Generally bad = Edmonton Oilers (except for the 1980s), Florida Panthers

Jags = Phoenix Coyotes, Florida Panthers, to a lesser extent the Tampa Bay Lightning

Marketable teams = Penguins, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Bruins, Blackhawks, Rangers, Red Wings (basically the Original 6 and the Pens)

Hated = Penguins

Liked = Umm...hmm....the Blue Jackets? I mean, who hates BJs?

manfestival

You should stop by here on Saturday between 4pm and 7pm PST, when one of the most salt/enriched games of the season is going to happen between the Leafs and the Canucks. The two biggest fanbases on GAF, two Canadian rival teams and the Leafs haven't won in Vancouver in like 10 years.

sounds like a good time. my schedule is pretty crazy and i will probably be doing something at those times but i may hop on my phone to see whats going on lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You can consult the sheet that we have floating around here and see the posts on these threads yourself.

Everyone hates on the Leafs besides Leafs fans as they get the most coverage and are one of the richest if not the richest teams. So you'll see everyone shitting on Least fans unprovoked; this is par for the course everywhere including reddit. I don't believe anyone here has the Leafs as a 'second' team.

Most annoying fan base would be the bandwagoners; only here for playoffs and don't know shit. Look up the Boston Vancouver Cup final to see classless fans.

A team as bad as the Browns?! Damn...probably the Oilers at this stage. They can't draft a winner, they can't trade for a winner, they can't sign a winner, and they can't seem to win. The Sabres are heading in this direction too...

Unworthy would be the Coyotes. Everyone has it out for them cause the league was keeping them afloat and it's fucking obvious that the people there don't care but the league will not give up in them.

Most marketable is the Leafs, Rangers, and probably Pittsburgh.

Smiley90

"Everyone shits on the Leafs unprovoked" and we're the ones with the persecution complex? LOL.

You guys deserve all the hate by being obnoxious as hell dude. At least the majority of Leafs fans are, despite not having any success to back up their sacklathering.

-cough- best passer in the league -cough-

Edit: 7 games for Scott is BS, he should get way more AND he's a repeat offender. Fucking Bettman.

Oh: everyone hates Gary bettman, head of the NHL. Everyone. If you don't, you're a bad hockey fan. Looking at you, imaginary Queens-GAF.

Samyy

"Everyone shits on the Leafs unprovoked" and we're the ones with the persecution complex? LOL.

You guys deserve all the hate by being obnoxious as hell dude. At least the majority of Leafs fans are, despite not having any success to back up their sacklathering.

Edit: 7 games for Scott is BS, he should get way more AND he's a repeat offender. Fucking Bettman.

Oh: everyone hates Gary bettman, head of the NHL. Everyone. If you don't, you're a bad hockey fan. Looking at you, imaginary Queens-GAF.

Your just jealous because he surpassed Henrik
/sarcasm

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Case in point :)

That best passer comment was ONE person and he was joking. Can you say the same for a certain other person of the Canucks fan base?

7 games for Scott is BS but has he been suspended before? If not, he's not a repeat offender but he's clearly just a goon with skates.

Acid08

Banned
Pictures do probably exist but they have no need to release them publicly right now.

Not sure if Gaf meme or actual lawyer.

If you question her claims then you're implying she's making it up, and if there are police reports out there of witnessing the bruises then I don't see the why you would question her. It doesn't make any sense for her to go this route if it didn't actually happen.

She claims she was kicked in the chest/neck/head, has bruises on her arm/hip. Yet to see anything that confirms a single claim she's made. Once her medical documents get out there, assuming she decides to put them out there as evidence, more will be made clear. Until then, judging this either way is a really stupid thing to do. Just go back to making inaccurate Roy jokes in the mean time, alright?

Pictures do probably exist but they have no need to release them publicly right now.

Sure. Which is why I'll wait to make any sort of call.

Smiley90

Case in point :)

That best passer comment was ONE person and he was joking. Can you say the same for a certain other person of the Canucks fan base?

7 games for Scott is BS but has he been suspended before? If not, he's not a repeat offender but he's clearly just a goon with skates.

Hey, I'm not the one saying that the Canucks get attacked unprovoked. I know we're annoying and some of our players are, too.

You pretend like Leafs-fans/Leafs don't deserve the hate they get though.

And I can non-sarcastically say that Henrik is probably the best passer in the league, because that's just how it is. If not the best, then at least top3. (Maybe Thornton/Crosby/St. louis are up there)

Also Tabris is not representative of Canucks-Gaf, or do you wanna talk about Manics' blog? :p

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Maaan how dare you take a shot at the Browns when your Bucs are horriawful and contaminating the league!

If you want to compare between what you've seen in NFL-GAF...

Leafs = Pats (minus the championships)
Penguins = Seahawks
Canucks = Texans
Blackhawks = Broncos (minus Tabris)
Winnipeg Jets = Browns
Oilers = Bucs
Senators = Panthers

Smiley90

Maaan how dare you take a shot at the Browns when your Bucs are horriawful and contaminating the league!

If you want to compare between what you've seen in NFL-GAF...

Leafs = Pats (minus the championships)
Penguins = Seahawks
Canucks = Texans
Blackhawks = Broncos (minus Tabris)
Winnipeg Jets = Browns
Oilers = Bucs
Senators = Panthers

Not following the NFL, but Pens=Seahawks? Really? Are the Seahawks and their fanbase that annoying?

It's basically the one team I could geographically justify supporting if I cared at all about the NFL.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I'm not the one saying that the Canucks get attacked unprovoked. I know we're annoying and some of our players are, too.

You pretend like Leafs-fans/Leafs don't deserve the hate they get though.

And I can non-sarcastically say that Henrik is probably the best passer in the league, because that's just how it is. If not the best, then at least top3. (Maybe Thornton/Crosby/St. louis are up there)

Also Tabris is not representative of Canucks-Gaf, or do you wanna talk about Manics' blog? :p

Lol

The Manics poster already came out and admitted it was a joke character. Can you say the same for Tabris?

I actually think the hate for the Leafs is way overboard. If you want to call the fans delusional at times I can't argue that. Listening to the radio and the call ins, you get some super delusional fans...

The hate from the Leafs to the other teams is nowhere near the levels we receive. And the only explanation I get is they get too much exposure and they're on TV all the time.

Quick

Banned

SALT SALT SALT SALT

ih34VEP8pgXce.gif

"the Leafs are like the Jets"

QUICK, GET DOWN FROM THAT LEDGE, YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR

ibiYOh4kVnCrHp.gif

Top Bottom