• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

So many shots for the Habs. It's like the English have oft said of their football team's play, "all fart and no poop."

There is nothing to look forward to watching or be hopeful of with that team. Carey Price will probably return to form somewhat, but the skaters in front of him are what they are.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
You poor things are welcome to rejoin Preds-GAF for the time being. I'll even drop the anime requirement!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed because there's a hockey game in 11 hours.

imBask

Banned
"I told you we wouldn't keep shooting at 3%"

there Red just save that somewhere so you can pull that up when Pacioretty inevitably starts scoring a couple of goals and we drive for that 9th-10th place. We all know that's happening, we all understand we're not gonna stay at 3%, and that's not what we're debating, but that's the only way you can be right

because really that's all that matters to you, being right on minute details instead of ever admitting you're wrong or discussing anything related to the big picture

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
One sure way for a good home game for the opponent is to put the Habs on the docket.

Habs already in line for that #1 pick.

Bury me I’m already dead.

Good thing the Habs got rid off Markov, they have this leadership and poise thing down pat.

Just make the Habs the Vegas farm team.

Close the arena.

Burn down the whole city.

Good thing they got rid of Subban, he’s too good to be a Hab, dealing breakouts in Nashville because of course.

Everything is terrible.

Youppi right up my asshole and howl out my urethra.

Some west coast roadtrip. More like roadkill.

Youppi should be donated to some place that cares.

Shaw is a dirty player, of course he’s a shitbird Hab.

The NHL is a disgrace... in Montreal.

Everything was a mistake.

Melt the ice at the Bell Centre no one that uses that as home ice knows how to skate.

The Habs are so terrible their snack bars can’t even warm a pretzel.

Strip the jerseys off all these Habs players and make them walk the fuck home.

Disgusting.

Absolutely disgusting.

Great job putting this squad together. I’ve seen the peewees on the ice at Vidéotron show more stick skills.

If I had tickets I’d burn them for warmth rather than go watch this god damned dumpster fire.

BargainBin will end up staying in Montreal because reasons.

I’ve dealt farts that could make better plays on pucks than these clowns.

Hopefully the Zamboni can come out and just run the Habs over, the Habs would be far more entertaining that way.

Assholes.

HabsQueso, is that you?

One sure way for a good home game for the opponent is to put the Habs on the docket.

Habs already in line for that #1 pick.

Bury me I’m already dead.

Good thing the Habs got rid off Markov, they have this leadership and poise thing down pat.

Just make the Habs the Vegas farm team.

Close the arena.

Burn down the whole city.

Good thing they got rid of Subban, he’s too good to be a Hab, dealing breakouts in Nashville because of course.

Everything is terrible.

Youppi right up my asshole and howl out my urethra.

Some west coast roadtrip. More like roadkill.

Youppi should be donated to some place that cares.

Shaw is a dirty player, of course he’s a shitbird Hab.

The NHL is a disgrace... in Montreal.

Everything was a mistake.

Melt the ice at the Bell Centre no one that uses that as home ice knows how to skate.

The Habs are so terrible their snack bars can’t even warm a pretzel.

Strip the jerseys off all these Habs players and make them walk the fuck home.

Disgusting.

Absolutely disgusting.

Great job putting this squad together. I’ve seen the peewees on the ice at Vidéotron show more stick skills.

If I had tickets I’d burn them for warmth rather than go watch this god damned dumpster fire.

BargainBin will end up staying in Montreal because reasons.

I’ve dealt farts that could make better plays on pucks than these clowns.

Hopefully the Zamboni can come out and just run the Habs over, the Habs would be far more entertaining that way.

Assholes.

is this the new copypasta?

Molson needs to get real. I have to believe a lot of the roster Bergevin has assembled has been to placate Molson's many and varied ideas regarding player personnel. I refuse to believe Bergevin is that dumb on his his own.

If Molson ever wakes up he'll realize he has to bring in a real president, and when that candidate pulls the Shanahan move telling him he'll only take the job if Molson stays the fuck out of his hair, Molson'll agree.

Montreal doesn't need a

Aquilini
Linden
Benning

puppet hierarchy situation either.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Molson needs to get real. I have to believe a lot of the roster Bergevin has assembled has been to placate Molson's many and varied ideas regarding player personnel. I refuse to believe Bergevin is that dumb on his his own.

If Molson ever wakes up he'll realize he has to bring in a real president, and when that candidate pulls the Shanahan move telling him he'll only take the job if Molson stays the fuck out of his hair, Molson'll agree.

Montreal doesn't need a

Aquilini
Linden
Benning

puppet hierarchy situation either.
The biggest issue here, and one that most fail to realize is the Habs have no trading chips. They've drafted in the middle or late pack for the majority of the last decade. They traded Subban, Sergachev and have tried to traded Galchenyuk. Who do they include in a package for these grade A players everyone wants?

"I told you we wouldn't keep shooting at 3%"

there Red just save that somewhere so you can pull that up when Pacioretty inevitably starts scoring a couple of goals and we drive for that 9th-10th place. We all know that's happening, we all understand we're not gonna stay at 3%, and that's not what we're debating, but that's the only way you can be right

because really that's all that matters to you, being right on minute details instead of ever admitting you're wrong or discussing anything related to the big picture
The amount you stretch this is so exhausting and is exactly why most people don't want to play in Montreal, because of fan reactions like yours. If you want to keep discussing it you can PM, otherwise there's not point in continuing this as you have your blatant agenda, and anything short of 16-0 cup run will change your mind.

Smiley90

X8GZGH7.gif

I'm sorry

Also, apparently Gibson set a Franchise record with his 28 saves in the second period.

imBask

Banned
The amount you stretch this is so exhausting and is exactly why most people don't want to play in Montreal, because of fan reactions like yours. If you want to keep discussing it you can PM, otherwise there's not point in continuing this as you have your blatant agenda, and anything short of 16-0 cup run will change your mind.

Again with this fallacy that we (or I) expect to win every game and will complain otherwise. I predicted the cup, I defended the stupid Subban trade to an extent, I was excited about getting Drouin.

There's a time and place to call out a bad team playing badly. 1-7-1 with every player in the minus, a goalie with at 868 and under 2 goals scored per game is that time.

Add on top of that an arrogant ownership who upped the "plebian ticket" prices by 28% and will charge you $400 to print out season tickets on paper, and a managment who decided to shit on a player of 16 years because he "was asking for too much money", while also keeping 9M in the bank and operating as the 3rd least expansive team in the league

There is bullshit to call out and i'm sick of it

EDIT : and you JUST posted another issue, we don't have any trading chips anymore because we wasted all of them and we've been a "middle of the pack" team forever, add that on top of the pile of shit. Timmins had one shot at #3 overall and we got Galchenyuk who we can't even trade anymore. Even if you believe managment ruined him, AND YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT, there is still something to be angry about

imBask

Banned
add on top of that now 25 years of failed "quinquennal plans" and a rotating cast of idiots

i'm fucking sick of being lied to by suits

I could pretty much go all night on "shit the Canadiens do that annoys me and built that anger up to this point"

and like, just last week I mentionned McCarron and you told me to wait because the plan with him wasn't over yet

like stop man let it go it's been 5 years and he's struggling in the AHL stop it's over you can let go

Again with this fallacy that we (or I) expect to win every game and will complain otherwise. I predicted the cup, I defended the stupid Subban trade to an extent, I was excited about getting Drouin.

There's a time and place to call out a bad team playing badly. 1-7-1 with every player in the minus, a goalie with at 868 and under 2 goals scored per game is that time.

Add on top of that an arrogant ownership who upped the "plebian ticket" prices by 28% and will charge you $400 to print out season tickets on paper, and a managment who decided to shit on a player of 16 years because he "was asking for too much money", while also keeping 9M in the bank and operating as the 3rd least expansive team in the league

There is bullshit to call out and i'm sick of it

EDIT : and you JUST posted another issue, we don't have any trading chips anymore because we wasted all of them and we've been a "middle of the pack" team forever, add that on top of the pile of shit. Timmins had one shot at #3 overall and we got Galchenyuk who we can't even trade anymore. Even if you believe managment ruined him, AND YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT, there is still something to be angry about

This probably doesn't make a difference but uuuuh they're 1-6-1 not 1-7-1.

Delryk

add on top of that now 25 years of failed "quinquennal plans" and a rotating cast of idiots

I could pretty much go all night on "shit the Canadiens do that annoys me and built that anger up to this point"

Its only starting bro. They should just sell the team to Quebec and buy an expansion.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Its only starting bro. They should just sell the team to Quebec and buy an expansion.

Just to add to the drouin is their kessel trade thing... Leafs started the year of the Kessel trade 0-7-1

Took them 6 years to finally do something about it

imBask

Banned
Just to add to the drouin is their kessel trade thing... Leafs started the year of the Kessel trade 0-7-1

Took them 6 years to finally do something about it

eeeh but Kesslel was older and you traded him for prospects and picks, it was done to rebuild

we did the opposite, it was yet another move to win now-ish by destroying the future. Which i'm still all for, as long as you don't do it like that

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Red is still in denial phase

Drouin trade is the Habs Kessel trade
https://twitter.com/felixpotvin/status/921595629431693312

🤔🤔🤔

and like, just last week I mentionned McCarron and you told me to wait because the plan with him wasn't over yet

like stop man let it go it's been 5 years and he's struggling in the AHL stop it's over you can let go
McCarron isn't a bust yet, although he hasn't been up to expectations just yet and do you realize how hard it is to draft in the late 20's and beyond? Another stat for you and unfortunately all Timmins has been dealt with are 2nd and later round picks. As much as you want to shit on AGally, he leads his draft class in points.

DopeyFish

eeeh but Kesslel was older and you traded him for prospects and picks, it was done to rebuild

we did the opposite, it was yet another move to win now-ish by destroying the future. Which i'm still all for, as long as you don't do it like that

Kessel was 21 when we acquired him

We traded away a pick that we can safely say was Tyler Seguin... and Dougie Hamilton. Ours was a worse trade but that doesn't make the habs trade any better

The main difference between the Habs of now and the Leafs of then (post Phaneuf trade) is Price could turn it around.

imBask

Banned
https://twitter.com/felixpotvin/status/921595629431693312

������

McCarron isn't a bust yet, although he hasn't been up to expectations just yet and do you realize how hard it is to draft in the late 20's and beyond? Another stat for you and unfortunately all Timmins has been dealt with are 2nd and later round picks. As much as you want to shit on AGally, he leads his draft class in points.

yes it's hard to draft in the lat 20's, because when you draft in the late 20's you're supposed to be a contender. We arguably contended once or twice but sadly we failed as many teams do! Except we paid the big price to contend, we wasted our first and second picks, we wasted Subban, etc. Now we enter the painful post-cup-window era where we have no future and bad contracts, which leads to the rebuild. You're still stuck in the cup-window era while some of us want the fire sale rebuild instead of the agony, even more so now that our direct competitors managed to do it. I'd rather be the fire sale leafs who only agonized for 2-3 years once they decided to do it (before that, they weren't trying, specifically talking about when they started the real process with the shanaplan) than being the Red Wings, still stuck in 2008

DopeyFish

yes it's hard to draft in the lat 20's, because when you draft in the late 20's you're supposed to be a contender. We arguably contended once or twice but sadly we failed as many teams do! Except we paid the big price to contend, we wasted our first and second picks, we wasted Subban, etc. Now we enter the painful post-cup-window era where we have no future and bad contracts, which leads to the rebuild. You're still stuck in the cup-window era while some of us want the fire sale rebuild instead of the agony, even more so now that our direct competitors managed to do it.

There is always the risk you end up becoming Edmonton, though. Though they royally sucked drafting beyond the first round and a lot of their first overall picks were disappointments.

It's a risky thing to do. But there's more recent evidence of it working (Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Toronto) than it not working (Edmonton, Phoenix, Colorado)

I shouldn't even really suggest Colorado because Stastny and ROR is what doomed their build.

imBask

Banned
There is always the risk you end up becoming Edmonton, though. Though they royally sucked drafting beyond the first round and a lot of their first overall picks were disappointments.

It's a risky thing to do. But there's more recent evidence of it working (Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Toronto) than it not working (Edmonton, Phoenix, Colorado)

I shouldn't even really suggest Colorado because Stastny and ROR is what doomed their build.

and idk how I feel about Arizona too, did they ever even try? Edmonton failed 100%

Zadorov is a stud. JT Compher has shown a lot of promise thus far. AJ Greer had a fantastic camp that ended in a concussion.

I'd do the O'Reilly trade over again without question. He still isn't worth the money he got paid. What really fucked us regarding O'Reilly was Jay Feaster forcing us to match that goddamn offer.

imBask

Banned
going to bed but the short version is simple :

do we have a team that can win the cup now, or next year?
if not, do we have the assets necessary to get what we need to win the cup in the forseeable future?
if not you have failed, agonizing and fighting against it to keep the agony going is useless and actually insulting to your fans, hit the reset button and try again

Erdrick

I think the win earlier tonight was Paul Maurice's 600th career win as an NHL coach. 141 with the Jets, I believe. I still think he's on thin ice here unless the team improves rapidly on the ice asap but still, 600 wins is impressive.

going to bed but the short version is simple :

do we have a team that can win the cup now, or next year?
if not, do we have the assets necessary to get what we need to win the cup in the forseeable future?
if not you have failed, agonizing and fighting against it to keep the agony going is useless and actually insulting to your fans, hit the reset button and try again

When you've got fans using analytics as a security blanket in the face of getting decimated by every team you've faced (including a squad of nothing but 3rd liners + Perry) I think it's fairly obvious why a rebuild is going to be a painfully slow process for Montreal. Failure is difficult to admit in any circumstance in this league, let alone for a franchise and a fanbase with so much history and pressure. Those things bog everything down, they make the winning feel sweeter but they make real change take a lot longer. It'll happen though, it has to happen. The longer this goes on the fewer seats will sell.

DopeyFish

Zadorov is a stud. JT Compher has shown a lot of promise thus far. AJ Greer had a fantastic camp that ended in a concussion.

I'd do the O'Reilly trade over again without question. He still isn't worth the money he got paid. What really fucked us regarding O'Reilly was Jay Feaster forcing us to match that goddamn offer.

Well... it's more like the most critical part of a team is the C position. They were both your best defensive Cs. It's almost like removing Matthews and Kadri from the Leafs and hoping Nylander and Marner could fill the void. As good as the players you got back are, they still don't replace what you lost. It's also likely a big reason the Avs do NOT want to move Duchene because then they are really screwed.

ROR is worth $6-$6.5, better to overpay the mil than wallow in the lottery

I still wish the Avs didn't match just so the Flames would have looked like complete morons, though.

mdubs

Banned
If I was a Montreal fan I'd be terrified of waking up one of these days to a desperation trade made by a man clinging to his job

Stastny seemed very disinterested in signing with us after Duchene and O'Reilly showed up and played the way they played. I don't think there was much we could've done short of overpaying him greatly to keep him here.

As far as O'Reilly goes I just can't see that trade as a bad one given the circumstance. At the time we needed defense badly and we got a piece for our future out of it. If Grigorenko hadn't been so badly mismanaged before we even had the chance to also badly mismanage him, who knows what that trade would really look like now.

All that said, I do wish it would've been Duchene in that situation rather than O'Reilly. We ended up with the streaky pouty basket case.

Abylim

I met a habs fan today when I was out with my daughter. He was wearing a Price jersey. I asked him if he’s been watching this season and he replied with “yes unfortunately”. Told him I was a leafs fan and he said we looked good. His wife started giving him shit for always talking hockey and I apologised. She said typical Canadian always apologising.

Anyways we talked about the teams a little bit. He seemed pretty down on their immediate future. He asked why I wasn’t giving him shit lol. I told him I actually feel bad for him, having recently gone through similar with my Leafs

It was cool. Don’t see a lot of hockey fans in Australia out and about. My daughter was embarrassed slightly. And his wife seemed annoyed at first but she was nice in the end.

This was before the game. It was about 12 pm here. So actually the game would have been just starting. He predicted the ducks would destroy them. I said Montreal has to be desperately trying to win so I think they’ll take it. Boy was I wrong. I saw the score and felt bad :(

Then I came home and read the last few pages. And felt much better.

Smiley90

I met a habs fan today when I was out with my daughter. He was wearing a Price jersey. I asked him if he’s been watching this season and he replied with “yes unfortunately”. Told him I was a leafs fan and he said we looked good. His wife started giving him shit for always talking hockey and I apologised. She said typical Canadian always apologising.

Anyways we talked about the teams a little bit. He seemed pretty down on their immediate future. He asked why I wasn’t giving him shit lol. I told him I actually feel bad for him, having recently gone through similar with my Leafs

It was cool. Don’t see a lot of hockey fans in Australia out and about. My daughter was embarrassed slightly. And his wife seemed annoyed at first but she was nice in the end.

This was before the game. It was about 12 pm here. So actually the game would have been just starting. He predicted the ducks would destroy them. I said Montreal has to be desperately trying to win so I think they’ll take it. Boy was I wrong. I saw the score and felt bad :(

Then I came home and read the last few pages. And felt much better.

at which part of the story did you kill the deadly spiders and snakes? before or after you met the Habs fans?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the low lights...ouch.....Price got lit up...

The fancy stats say Mtl should bounce back, and I don't think they'll pull an Avs this season. They should come back and win a few games though at the rate they're going...it doesn't look good right now. Their shooting percentage is low, and some bounces will inevitably go their way, but I haven't looked into the actual shot qualities yet.

Top Bottom