• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Cake Boss

Banned
Impossible. Philoops taught him well.

Hehehe Philoops I forgot about that name lol.

Need one for Ceci that matches his dumb shit play.

Puts on the thinking hat

🤔🤔🤔

Hmmm how about

Cesucks
Cody is Messi (as in he's a mess in his own zone?)
Cecunt
Choky Ceci
Phoney Ceci
Slowly Ceci
Cody Bologna
Moldy Ceci Dick
Or
Choky Stressy ( best explains his play)

Or just

Penis is Messy

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sens attendance numbers make me sad :(

We badly need that downtown arena with good public transit, too much apathy from the fans for the team and hockey in general otherwise. I actually hate going to Sens games because the traffic before and after the game ends up being almost as long as the game itself, not to mention the outrageous parking costs.

Sens game yesterday would've easily sold out with a decent sized outdoor viewing party too if the arena was downtown. Downtown was packed yesterday.

djkimothy

We badly need that downtown arena with good public transit, too much apathy from the fans for the team and hockey in general otherwise. I actually hate going to Sens games because the traffic before and after the game ends up being almost as long as the game itself, not to mention the outrageous parking costs.

I live in Kanata and would go to more games but the parking lot is pure trash. Let alone the road way on getting out of the area.

Calamari41

41 > 38
so the reason you don't go to a 2nd round playoff hockey game is because the parking lot is trash? That's your excuse?

Have you ever dealt with a horrific arena/stadium parking lot? It's not unreasonable to curb the amount of games you go to due to shit like that. Not everybody is interested in getting to games an hour early and getting out of the lot an hour and a half after it ends, on a work night.

I would go to half as many Ducks games as I do if I hadn't discovered a slightly hidden gem of an off-site parking lot.

This kind of thing makes a difference. When I was going to USC in downtown LA, I could decide a half hour before puck drop that I wanted to go to a Kings game and be standing in my seat for the anthem. Home in my bed a half hour after the game ended. To go to a Ducks game, and from what it sounds like a Sens game, you have to plan it out hours in advance and expect a late night.

Marvie_3

Banned

Fuck driving to arenas for games. If there isnt good public transit then its such a fucking hassle.

imBask

Banned
Have you ever dealt with a horrific arena/stadium parking lot? It's not unreasonable to curb the amount of games you go to due to shit like that. Not everybody is interested in getting to games an hour early and getting out of the lot an hour and a half after it ends, on a work night.

I would go to half as many Ducks games as I do if I hadn't discovered a slightly hidden gem of an off-site parking lot.

Hey I live in the city of no parkings, but we're talking about 2nd round playoffs here tho not a boring ass regular season game against the Sabres, that's a bad excuse

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey I live in the city of no parkings, but we're talking about 2nd round playoffs here tho not a boring ass regular season game against the Sabres, that's a bad excuse

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if the hassle involved caused enough people with tickets to say "fuck it" when they knew they were going to be super late anyway. It's a problem. From what it sounds like there's some amount of "apathy from the fans for the team and hockey in general otherwise" in this situation, which compounds the whole thing.

I brought up the Kings comparison for a reason. Someone leaving work late with a Kings ticket can still very easily make it to Staples in time, and expect to get home quickly afterwards. And this is in a city with a comparatively shitty public transportation system. For the Ducks, if you're leaving work late, you're getting there in time to watch the second half of the second period on, if you're lucky, and can expect a couple hours to get back to your front door afterwards.

Cake Boss

Banned

Thats because you can easily commute to your arena with public transit. The sens arena is a middle of nowhere where buses barely go there, even if your live Kanata, you still have to drive to get there.

Stop talking about shit you don't know anything about.

The 1st round game I went to, we legit didn't get out of the parking lot for 30 minutes and we paid extra for the fucking better parking lot so we get out of there faster, then another 20 min to drive home. I am ok doing it once in a while but every game fuck that noise.

Marvie_3

Banned
But you live in a city with one of the best transit systems in north america and have a downtown arena. Its entirely different.

Edit: What cake said.

djkimothy

Have you ever been there D:
It's terrible >.<

People also forget that the arena is next to a Costco, Home Depot a large private gym and shares the same arterial road as a movie theatre. Who the fuck wants to see a live sens game when you can go to any of the sports bar in town. Or stay at home. Plus no mass transit! Like a subway.

PillarEN

At least for the Corel Centre there is nice parking for everyone. And even if there wasn't there is nothing but empty space all around the arena.

At least for the Corel Centre there is nice parking for everyone. And even if there wasn't there is nothing but empty space all around the arena.

That makes it even worse. Theres no natural way to get to the arena? Wanna go to the game after work? Well then you'll drive 45 mins to the game in rush hour and pay for parking or walk 20 mins. Cant chill for a bit before the game, can't go out to eat, and after the game you're going straight home because there is literally nothing around. It's a huge contrast from something like the ACC where everything is so natural.

It looks bad on sens fans but the arena is literally in the shittiest possible place

Socreges

Banned
Rogers Arena is right downtown with a metro station attached. Buses everywhere.

I can't imagine having to drive. The traffic and parking would be bad enough, but that also means you need a DD.

djkimothy

It looks bad on sens fans but the arena is literally in the shittiest possible place

It was in an ok spot years ago. But then they started to develop around it forgetting that there would be surges of about 4000 cars in the area every time a game was on.

Once it moves to the Lebreton flats with the LRT station it will be fine.

PillarEN

That makes it even worse. Theres no natural way to get to the arena? Wanna go to the game after work? Well then you'll drive 45 mins to the game in rush hour and pay for parking or walk 20 mins. Cant chill for a bit before the game, can't go out to eat, and after the game you're going straight home because there is literally nothing around. It's a huge contrast from something like the ACC where everything is so natural.

Think about the burbs man. They all gotta have cars anyway.

No I kid. I do wish the arena was in a better location. And I do love Ottawa as a city so it would be great to have it there. Like you said, it's wonderful when before or after the game you can do something.

It excites me about the new Red Wings arena. That area has been really fun for baseball and football. The area of Joe Louis was crap up till the very end. Never thought to myself "why yes I'll have a lovely stroll in the night through Detroit." It just wasn't located in a good pocket of the city for that kind of thing.

EDIT: I should also note the last time I went to a Sens game was actually 11 years ago so the poster above me may have another negative point to the current location.

RC

Banned
Rogers Arena is right downtown with a metro station attached. Buses everywhere.

I can't imagine having to drive. The traffic and parking would be bad enough, but that also means you need a DD.

Those in the know park at International village. It's un-monitored, so free parking.

Weevilone

I went to a Ducks Finals game in 2003 b/c I was in town for business. Ducks won and everyone walked to some outdoor brickyard type of bar area if I recall correctly. There were a bunch of different bars sorta together and everyone hung out after the game. It was pretty neat.

Do you know what this would be?

Fuck driving to arenas for games. If there isnt good public transit then its such a fucking hassle.

This is the part that wears on me, and I think about bailing every year. I drive a good 40 minutes each way, and the parking is nonsense. Tack on parking time and I'm easily in the car more than an hour and a half to see a game.

Tonight the Cards are in town too, so unless that's rained out it's gonna be a holy clusterfuck downtown.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Can't stand going through Nashville for any reason, can only imagine how awful traffic is to and from a game.

BTW, Fiala is already walking, looking at 4-6 months recovery.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Senators are really going all in on this whole "oh man the Rangers are going to win in 5 and we just didn't want to get swept" thing.

Cakey, tell your boys to quit stealing my gimmick.

PillarEN

The Senators are really going all in on this whole "oh man the Rangers are going to win in 5 and we just didn't want to get swept" thing.

Cakey, tell your boys to quit stealing my gimmick.
A loser mindset for a loser team I say. Be happy your GM isn't constantly on camera talking it up. Actually I don't remember who mentioned the "we don't want to get swept" thing. It was the coach wasn't it?

Why is the Ottawa GM so obsessed with being in front of the camera? Did he want to be an actor before his hair started to look bad?

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat hockey arena related: the AT&T Center is literally inside San Antonio's industrial side of the city. Like, it's right across the street from a Coca-Cola plant, plus there's a shoe factory, a steel mill, a cement factory and a military base all within 2 miles of the arena. There's also a golf course right next to it. And a bunch bullpens.

Back on-topic: Go Perds.

Cake Boss

Banned
A loser mindset for a loser team I say. Be happy your GM isn't constantly on camera talking it up. Actually I don't remember who mentioned the "we don't want to get swept" thing. It was the coach wasn't it?

Why is the Ottawa GM so obsessed with being in front of the camera? Did he want to be an actor before his hair started to look bad?

f60.jpg

When I lived in Kanata it was a short drive to the arena but getting in/out took an hour back in the day. I'm sure it's somewhat better now but it still sucks.

I wonder how much a new arena in Lebreton will change as then people in Kanata won't have an easy way to get there lol.

People also forget that the arena is next to a Costco, Home Depot a large private gym and shares the same arterial road as a movie theatre. Who the fuck wants to see a live sens game when you can go to any of the sports bar in town. Or stay at home. Plus no mass transit! Like a subway.

That's Ottawa city planning for you.

In hindsight the city was in no shape to have an NHL team when they got it. And Kanata was the place they could put it. Suburban arenas always struggle. Especially one surrounded by car dealerships.

djkimothy

When I lived in Kanata it was a short drive to the arena but getting in/out took an hour back in the day. I'm sure it's somewhat better now but it still sucks.

I wonder how much a new arena in Lebreton will change as then people in Kanata won't have an easy way to get there lol.

Park and Ride my friend. The new location will be right off the transit line.

PillarEN

It's pretty shocking that the Sens started the NHL playing in the 67s arena (again talking like 12 years ago. Not sure if their homes have changed).
On a side note it was really fun seeing a 67s game.

Top Bottom