• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

It's pretty shocking that the Sens started the NHL playing in the 67s arena (again talking like 12 years ago. Not sure if their homes have changed).
On a side note it was really fun seeing a 67s game.

Yeah I went to games in that first season. Had to pay someone living near there to let me park on their driveway for a few hours. Fun times.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I went to a Ducks Finals game in 2003 b/c I was in town for business. Ducks won and everyone walked to some outdoor brickyard type of bar area if I recall correctly. There were a bunch of different bars sorta together and everyone hung out after the game. It was pretty neat.

Do you know what this would be?

There are a few places like that in the surrounding area, the main place people go other than the sports bar across the street is a bigger complex a few blocks away with a movie theater and a ton of restaurants, that might be what you're thinking of. I never stick around the area so Smack probably has a better idea.

The good news is that Anaheim is supposed to be putting a big LA Live type place between Angel Stadium and the Pond, and just put a huge metro station there too. Hopefully it becomes a district to spend some time in soon.

Jamaal23

Neo Member
People also forget that the arena is next to a Costco, Home Depot a large private gym and shares the same arterial road as a movie theatre. Who the fuck wants to see a live sens game when you can go to any of the sports bar in town. Or stay at home. Plus no mass transit! Like a subway.

When I lived in Kanata it was a short drive to the arena but getting in/out took an hour back in the day. I'm sure it's somewhat better now but it still sucks.

Went to Game 2 in Round 1 and it took one hour on the special 400-series express bus to go from the Terry Fox Park and Ride to the Canadian Tire Centre because all roads leading to the arena and on/off the 417 highway were clogged up. It was brutal. On a normal day, that would be a five- to ten-minute drive. Thought I'd made some smart bus plans since I was going straight from my workplace in Kanata, but it was the complete opposite.

My friends who caught the bus at the same time as me, but at Baseline Park and Ride (which is much farther from the arena), beat me to the game by a good 30 minutes.

Won't be making the same bus plans for Game 2 on Saturday. Not working tomorrow and am catching the bus with my friends from Baseline.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Have you ever dealt with a horrific arena/stadium parking lot? It's not unreasonable to curb the amount of games you go to due to shit like that. Not everybody is interested in getting to games an hour early and getting out of the lot an hour and a half after it ends, on a work night.

I would go to half as many Ducks games as I do if I hadn't discovered a slightly hidden gem of an off-site parking lot.

This kind of thing makes a difference. When I was going to USC in downtown LA, I could decide a half hour before puck drop that I wanted to go to a Kings game and be standing in my seat for the anthem. Home in my bed a half hour after the game ended. To go to a Ducks game, and from what it sounds like a Sens game, you have to plan it out hours in advance and expect a late night.
Man, I don't know what you're doing but it doesn't take me very long at all to get in/out for the games I go to. Certainly not close to an hour. We probably park in the same off-site area, too. Getting there can be a bit of a struggle on the freeways, sure, but SoCal gonna SoCal. The actual parking and exiting part is pretty painless and I'm home after a game within 30 minutes typically.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Man, I don't know what you're doing but it doesn't take me very long at all to get in/out for the games I go to. Certainly not close to an hour. We probably park in the same off-site area, too. Getting there can be a bit of a struggle on the freeways, sure, but SoCal gonna SoCal. The actual parking and exiting part is pretty painless and I'm home after a game within 30 minutes typically.

Off site parking is nice and quick. Parking in the actual lot is a nightmare after the game. The lineup doesn't move. One night I was like five lanes away from the exit and I shit you not, it took 45 minutes to get out. Showing up early is in regards to the traffic you have to either beat or make it through. SoCal gonna SoCal indeed, and that's the issue. Living closer to the arena lessens the impact of course.

It's not the apocalypse, but it makes you second guess making the effort if you get a late start.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Off site parking is nice and quick. Parking in the actual lot is a nightmare after the game. The lineup doesn't move. One night I was like five lanes away from the exit and I shit you not, it took 45 minutes to get out. Showing up early is in regards to the traffic you have to either beat or make it through. SoCal gonna SoCal indeed, and that's the issue. Living closer to the arena lessens the impact of course.

It's not the apocalypse, but it makes you second guess making the effort if you get a late start.
Ah I see, ya the official lots can be a real cluster! I stopped going to those mainly because of the cost. The one towards the back of the arena next to the 57 is the best IMO, that one is a pretty quick exit. Anything exiting to Katella is bad. Doesn't deter me enough to miss a game though :)

Pikma

Banned
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png
1rzM5vr.png