• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces 3DS Control Expansion Pack, details in OP, STOP POSTING SCANS

Branduil

Orayn said:
Someone in the other thread brought up that this attachment might just be something Capcom is bundling with MH3G. I think that's a possibility worth considering.
That would make sense though.

dwu8991

Banned
AceBandage said:
This isn't exactly confirmed yet,

Just saying.

It's ALL coming from Japan.

GameE

AceBandage said:

Just saying.

this (for now)

AceBandage said:
Not at all.
Just wondering why Nintendo would reveal a new add on to their system in Famitsu (a magazine that rarely gets Nintendo exclusives) a week before a major event.

They want to assure people there's a decent way to control Monster Hunter.

DiscoJer

nincompoop said:
On what planet does doing this make even a modicum of sense? For Nintendo or their consumers?

Earth?

Sony should have done this with the PSP. From almost day one until the PSPGo was released, people bitched about it only have one stick.

What if Sony introduced one in the 2000 model? The PSP likely would have done much better in the West. Sure, the 1000 people were screwed, but to a certain extent, the 1000 was a piece of crap (other than in terms of build) anyway.

The 2000 was lighter (less cramping), had a fixed d-pad, fixed face buttons, and had more ram to help improve UMD caching, to reduce load times a little.

Beyond that, this will be very important for Monster Hunter, which is of prime importance in Japan. Also can't hurt the West.

And first adopters aren't completely screwed, they can just pick up the adapter.

firelink

Banned
This might be like the Wii Motion Plus.

Not exactly mandatory for developers to use, but as something that might be supported. Then later on down the line, maybe next year, they will probably start bundling it with the 3DS so that everyone will eventually have one.

The only way I can see it attaching is via the 3DS card slot. Maybe it plugs in and has a 3DS slot of its own to put the games in.

We might hate it, and probably will, but honestly, a move like this might secure the next few years for the 3DS, and supplement its place as the top handheld among consumers and investors.

Anth0ny

HamPster PamPster said:
I demand Mark convene an emergency 8-4 Play podcast as we speak

If anyone wants a good laugh right about now, listen to the news from the latest episode of 8-4 play.

Boney

Banned
NateDrake said:
3DS slide pad attachment has an R2 button attached to it. So 3DS will have L1, R1, R2 but no L2. It will be to the right of ABXY buttons, according to some ASCII art renditions.

Via: https://twitter.com/#!/jonnyram
welp

pack your bag boys

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
Not at all.
Just wondering why Nintendo would reveal a new add on to their system in Famitsu (a magazine that rarely gets Nintendo exclusives) a week before a major event.
The same reason they revealed the Wii name before E3 2006; they knew there would be backlash and they don't want that distracting from the event.

7Th

After this announcement, you have to be really dumb to buy a 3DS before the inevitable redesign.

loosus

Banned
NEXT:

Nintendo to release free sheet that is to be placed over the top 3D screen of the 3DS that disables 3D effects even when the 3D effects of the display are turned on.

Also comes with a free sticker to be placed over the logo on the 3DS that reads "Not 3DS."

DrMungo said:
Sounds like there's definitely a 3DSLite/version 2.0 that I should look out for.

Same here. I'm just hoping its as impressive a piece of kit as the DSi XL.

This is gonna sound selfish, and I apologise to all the early adopters, but I'm so glad I didn't jump in to buying a 3DS when I was tempted to. Assuming of course, that this extension is indeed a prelude to a rebrand and relaunch of the 3DS.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone done a mock up at least yet? I would but I'm at work :/

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not panicking yet. I could see them doing it like those crappy iOS stick-on sticks, and so unlike what the last rumour implied and the implications that entailed, I don't see how it could be done as proper hardware either, yet... People could be "exploding" for the MH news, not the slide pad...

If 01net had a legit scoop and ruined it with talks of revisions and fluffing it up as actual hardware, lol.

If it ends up being proper hardware and a revision is in fact coming, WTF.

I'll be eating my hat in honor of my new overlord 01net to which I apologise.

Good luck to Nintendo getting rid of the stigma in that case also, and my sympathy to early adopters.

HamPster PamPster said:
I demand Mark convene an emergency 8-4 Play podcast as we speak
YES! JohnTV and MarkmacD, we demand an emergency 8-4 play podcast!

And, lol at the people dissing 01net for reporting this. Who's laughing now bitches?

kimshoot.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
AceBandage said:

Just saying.

It's confirmed.

loosus

Banned
I just have one thing to say: I want the next batch of free games to be from the DS, Nintendo! Your last batch was crummy, so I want some good ones this time!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
lunchwithyuzo said:
Whelp, I guess I don't have to learn The Claw now.
The claw would be impossible anyway... Unless you controlled the character with the d-pad and the camera with the analog stick. Which wouldn't be great. The only proper way it could be on 3DS without the addon would be with touch based camera controls.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's weird how this could end up being good news and bad news at the same time, especially if the MH game is confirmed as well.

Cartman86

Banned
If it turns out that it covers the entire bottom like the charger dock that will be hilarious. I wonder how thin they will try to make it?

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Oh boy, that is not what I was hoping for.

I do hope it doesn't come true. No free-vc-games-4-u programs will make up for that, especially when I'll have to buy a goddamn 2nd slide pad to play future releases.

BTW, ok, thousands of ways this little abortion can get coupled on the console, but where would we "plug" it? I mean, besides the AC, headphone, SD and cart ports, there's nothing in sight, and none of those sound like a conventional port for this kind of thing.

Ratrat

Alextended said:
The claw would be impossible anyway... Unless you controlled the character with the d-pad and the camera with the analog stick. Which wouldn't be great. The only proper way it could be on 3DS without the addon would be with touch based camera controls.
Plenty of people play MH just fine on psp without the claw.

Beardz

firelink said:
a move like this might secure the next few years for the 3DS, and supplement its place as the top handheld among consumers and investors.

What? Doing something like this is like saying "guys, the 3DS vanilla sucks, wait for the revision"

WillyFive

AceBandage said:
How does this thing even plug in?
Makes no damn sense.

Maybe it will be like the DS TV Tuner, the game itself would be the plastic shell, and it plugs in through the game port.

Top Bottom