• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces 3DS Control Expansion Pack, details in OP, STOP POSTING SCANS

Truth101

Banned
People complain about no second analog, Nintendo creates an add-on analog people still complain.

This is not a bad thing people. Nintendo getting this accessory out there earlier, means that we will see more support for it in-games, if/when a second revision releases containing a second analog.

Damn, people complain about the littlest things sometimes.

Ocaso

This is, without a doubt, the most insane scenario I could have imagined for the 3DS. Even if released at a rock bottom price, I imagine almost every piece of software made for the 3DS will have to have some sort of control scheme to accomodate those who never got this second slide pad.

mutsu

Biggest question is - why announce it in Famitsu this week when there's a conference next week? Maybe there's an even bigger bomb to drop next week?

UM6uH.gif

Man, the 3DS is a year away from going the way of the dodo bird. This obviously renders everybodies 3DS useless. Nintendo, apologize now, bla bla bla. Expert.

Truth101 said:
People complain about no second analog, Nintendo creates an add-on analog people still complain.

This is not a bad thing people. Nintendo getting this accessory out there earlier, means that we will see more support for it in-games, if/when a second revision releases containing a second analog.

I'll consider it a good thing AS LONG as we don't get fucked in some way, by 'we' I mean current owners. And by fucked I mean if it's too expensive, or if a revision comes in the really near future.

But if this mofo is like 8 bucks, then I'm happy. It's still hilarious and crazy but I'm down.

Truth101 said:

Lol, of course it's a bad thing. It's a clusterfuck

StuBurns

Banned
Truth101 said:

Littlest things? Some people paid $250 because they believed Nintendo were capable of designing this device correctly. Now what? They have some Frankenstein fuckawful mess attached to their 3DS for the next six years? Fuck that, it's disgraceful.

I wouldn't be surprised if its an addon which is what it is sounding like. Capcom may have requested it so the don't have to do much design hassle on Monster Hunter 3ds and even then it's kinda weird. If this comes true doesn't that make the 01.net rumors more legit as in that the 3DS might be rebranded next year or so?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Have their been any really convincing arguments in favour of a second slide pad in any threads repeating to this rumor? I haven't been keeping up with it, but it seems like an absolutely ridiculous move on every level.

dream

This sounds like a bandaid to placate existing 3DS owners that would otherwise feel alienated when Nintendo redesigns the system with a new brand and a more modern form factor.

Truth101

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:

Then don't buy it, it is as simple as that.

This will give developers a longer time to create control schemes for games that contain a second analog. it won't be that hard. Also, you can bet a new revision would contain a second analog.

LOCK

Ok, so this is semi-confirmed. But I still don't understand how this thing will work. My mind can't fathom how this will be put together.

BurntPork

Banned
UltimateIke said:
Why do they want to add dual slide pads now? If they're so important, why didn't Nintendo have them to start with?
Because Nintendo's R&D got replaced with mentally retarded moneys, Miyamoto is a selfish short-sighted fool, and Iwata is oblivious to the world outside of Nintendo. Hell, Iwata probably thinks that Nintendo invented the touch screen and motion control.

loosus

Banned
Ocaso said:
This is, without a doubt, the most insane scenario I could have imagined for the 3DS. Even if released at a rock bottom price, I imagine almost every piece of software made for the 3DS will have to have some sort of control scheme to accomodate those who never got this second slide pad.
:lol It really is insane! It's like if Sega came back from the hardware grave and just started slapping shit together like a chimp.

"Here ya go, guyzzz! 3DS!"

"ok damn here is the online store! Enjoy :D"

"Ahhh fuuuck. Heres 20 games."

"wtfffuck OK put this on it: new circle pad!!!"

antonz

Now if Nintendo wanted to be cool they would make the addon have an additional battery pack to boost life even more

BurntPork

Banned
dream said:
This sounds like a bandaid to placate existing 3DS owners that would otherwise feel alienated when Nintendo redesigns the system with a new brand and a more modern form factor.
What the fuck does that even mean?

loosus said:
:lol It really is insane! It's like if Sega came back from the hardware grave and just started slapping shit together like a chimp.

Sega wouldn't be this stupid and incompetent.

firelink

Banned
After looking at my 3DS, I am not quite getting it.

Yeah, it can attach in the DS slot maybe. Or perhaps it can attach to the power port in the back in some way, but if it is to the right of the face buttons, it would completely cover up the wireless switch and the light for it.

I'm thinking games will be required to still be playable with one analog nub it would just play really shitty. Either way like I said at the beggining when I read through this I was skeptical and didn't really see the point anymore. However, I never saw it as a massive betraylton by Nintendo(not any worse than CC and Wii Motion+ at least) and said that it wouldn't be a major shock if Nintendo did decide this. Oh well I guess I'll have to deal with an ugly 3DS hopefully it includes a battery pack.

duckroll said:
Apparently it doesn't look like that at all. Instead it is supposed to be some sort of cradle bay (like the charging bay), which the entire 3DS fits onto it. The guy posting the information says it is about 1cm to the left, and 2-3cm to the right. The slidepad itself is directly to the right of the face buttons, and there is a R2 shoulder button added.
That sounds good. Although they really should've bundled this thing when the price dropped. Not that this entire thing isn't a giant blunder but they should've at least avoided alot of backlash from all those poeple who bought the 3DS when the price dropped.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BurntPork said:
It means that the current 3DS is an abomination, aesthetically.

Vamphuntr

loosus said:

Need a Blu-ray add on and a ram cart.

clashfan

Truth101 said:

I agree this is a good thing. I hope this gets incorporated in a new version of the 3ds.

Owzers

dream said:

*continues to wait for revision, especially now that i know Nintendo acknowledges their design is garbage*

dream

BurntPork said:

Look at the Vita, the iPhone, the EVO, the Galaxy S II, and pretty much every modern mobile system. The 3DS looks like a plasticky toy compared to them.

fernoca

That positioning is just weird (and bad).
The rumored position of it been attached right bellow the face buttons made more sense; even if it required to be removed every time you closed the unit.

Rez said:
Have their been any really convincing arguments in favour of a second slide pad in any threads repeating to this rumor? I haven't been keeping up with it, but it seems like an absolutely ridiculous move on every level.

No. Not from a branding or consumer relations perspective, anyway.

Beardz

mutsu said:
Biggest question is - why announce it in Famitsu this week when there's a conference next week? Maybe there's an even bigger bomb to drop next week?

"Like you all already know, we're launching this second slide pad thingy, we believe is going to revolutionize the way of playing games. But now, we want to make this BIG announcement... THE VIRTUAL BOY IS BACK!"

System revision seems absolutely inevitable. I know that Nintendo always revises its handhelds, but in this case its going to be more than that, it seems as if its going to increase functionality too.

When they design a future version of the 3DS, there is no way they are going to design it around the size and shape of this add-on bracket. It would heavily restrict their redesign avenues and look unwieldy. It would make sense for them to fully intergrate the second pad into the console, surely?

Given that the "3D" brand is somewhat of a stigma, Nintendo's advertising increasingly focussing on the games rather than the third dimension, and the ease of which two pads will allow ports to be controlled on the system (especially with Vita on the horizon), I can see a renamed, revised 3DS handheld being announced soon with a new name and a great lineup of launch titles.

They want the mass market with the 3DS, the console isn't currently giving it to them, and the momentum of the system isn't anywhere near DS levels. Hell, I own every Nintendo console and I'm not interested in purchasing one! A redesign and rebrand might be Iwata's chosen path to jump-starting the console, in a bid to recapture that profitable mass market.

Boney

Banned
clashfan said:
I agree this is a good thing. I hope this gets incorporated in a new version of the 3ds.
No it's a bad thing. Disparity of user control, and say goodbye to portability.

This is some serious bullshit.

BlazingDarkness said:

As long as they can support multiple control methods, then this shouldn't be a problem.

There are those that like touch screen fps better than dual analog, so they need to have both options.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's... A weird peripheral.

As by reading the 01net rumors, so if this "fails" and Wii U "fails", then it's goodbye Iwata?

theBishop

Banned
This is insane. And you know they've got the next revision with dual-nubs locked and loaded. Early 3DS models will be more obsolete than the pre-DSi model.

Top Bottom