• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces 3DS Control Expansion Pack, details in OP, STOP POSTING SCANS

Wallach

-Pyromaniac- said:
HOW WOULD YOU PRESS THE FACE BUTTONSSSSS.

If your right thumb is on a stick you aren't really going to have a good time trying to press the face buttons no matter where the stick is.

I'm guessing that is why it also adds another trigger, to try and alleviate the need to use face buttons when using the second stick.

Sounds like a clusterfuck of an idea, honestly. Even with the price slash I don't know who now wouldn't wait for the inevitable 3DS refresh that has this thing built in.

Kurdel

Banned
Rez said:
It means that the current 3DS is an abomination, aesthetically.
I have had mine a week now, and I agree 100%. It's a nice nostalgia machine, but design wise, it is an abomination.

It looks like 3 teams in 3 different buildings designed the outside case. That sceen part, the first and second bottom half? I am positive no one at Nintendo had actually saw a final unit before it shipped, and accidentally ordered a crude prototypeto be mass produced.

But who cares. I will trade it in for the 3DS light and pony up the difference. Unless I bring it back to the store within the next three weeks...

JoshuaJSlone said:
I suppose a cradle design tosses things like the PowerPak+ out the window.

No! I didn't even think of that. I so love the extra battery life. How are you supposed to play MH with the standard battery?

antonz

The DS legacy really bit them in the ass on this one. They mentioned in an Iwata Asks they were looking at a Single Screen device etc but then got stuck going back with a DS like design because of backwards compatability.

Nintendo should just release a revision in the near future with the second analog built in, and then offer a special trade in program for ambassadors.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mama Robotnik said:
System revision seems absolutely inevitable. I know that Nintendo always revises its handhelds, but in this case its going to be more than that, it seems as if its going to increase functionality too.

When they design a future version of the 3DS, there is no way they are going to design it around the size and shape of this add-on bracket. It would heavily restrict their redesign avenues and look unwieldy. It would make sense for them to fully intergrate the second pad into the console, surely?

Given that the "3D" brand is somewhat of a stigma, Nintendo's advertising increasingly focussing on the games rather than the third dimension, and the ease of which two pads will allow ports to be controlled on the system (especially with Vita on the horizon), I can see a renamed, revised 3DS handheld being announced soon with a new name and a great lineup of launch titles.

They want the mass market with the 3DS, the console isn't currently giving it to them, and the momentum of the system isn't anywhere near DS levels. Hell, I own every Nintendo console and I'm not interested in purchasing one! A redesign and rebrand might be Iwata's chosen path to jump-starting the console, in a bid to recapture that profitable mass market.
Fair points, but a rename? The amount of confusion in an already confused marketplace this would cause is -- uh -- worrying. There's no way they can afford to have a third type of DS game case on the shelf.

Clearly I should've listened to the little voice in the back of my head that said "this rumor sounds exactly as fucking stupid as the PSP Go..."

Rez said:
Fair points, but a rename? The amount of confusion in an already confused marketplace this would cause is -- uh -- worrying.

I want to say "for all their mistakes, Nintendo aren't stupid enough to make an idiotic all-downside decision like that on the backs of a few internet whiners," but, well.

Nintendo looking like a disaster right now, so far from that stretch they had in 2005 and 2008. If they really can Iwata (Or "Promote" him or whatever), that would be one of the worst business moves I've seen in gaming history.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A second analog pad is useless in terms of sales gain.. just useless. What they really need to do is graft on a smartphone...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I don't think I have seen Nintendo so messed up recently. It simply doesn't know what it's doing anymore. So many missteps and it just looks like a repeat with Wii U. From Hero to Zero in 18 months.

gwarm01

If this is just an accessory, then it's really no big deal. It'll make as big a splash as the Wii Motion + did.

If Nintendo seriously relaunches with a new name and new model that includes this.. that seems like a hard move to make. Who in their right mind will want to buy one? I'd lose all confidence in the platform.

It is kinda bizzare that this happened, but at least they're doing something about it. We'll probably see revision next year, but 2to3 years from now, we'll be glad this happened at all rather be like sony where they never do anything at all for their lack of 2nd analog problem for psp

GDGF

Soothsayer
civilstrife said:
UM6uH.gif

If this shit doesn't come with MH I am going to flip my shit.

(just quoting your post because I love the movie, btw)

Amir0x

Banned
so a revision really is just around the corner at this point

man what a colossal fuck up this 3DS launch was, when anyone could have told Nintendo the importance of two analog sticks. *sigh*

UberTag

Majine said:
Is Nintendo regretting every single thing about their thing right now!?
Wake me when Nintendo starts regretting all of their non-portable plans.

Namely investing in the magic tablet that can't even stream wirelessly to one controller let alone more than one, not bothering to develop an online community, electing not to port their own internally developed high-quality hardcore titles to their largest market, etc.

Ydahs

I just held my 3DS and it will certainly feel more comfortable to have it at the bottom of the buttons.

I feel that I'm going to have to do something I've never done before: buy a revision. The revision will be correcting everything wrong with this console which indicates that Nintendo was too focused on getting the thing out (even when the DS still had steam) before looking at the possible issues down the track.

Good thing Nintendo is getting a lot of input from developers for the WiiU.

loosus

Banned
Yeah, I have to seriously say that there is a definite worrying trend here. For example, the GameCube was a complete and utter bomb, but I always felt that Nintendo, at least, felt like it knew what it was doing and at least had a vision.

Now, I just don't see that from Nintendo. The "vision" seems to be whatever they can do to keep up with the competition. They are in no way leading the way, anymore.

dream

Kurdel said:
I have had mine a week now, and I agree 100%. It's a nice nostalgia machine, but design wise, it is an abomination.

It looks like 3 teams in 3 different buildings designed the outside case. That sceen part, the first and second bottom half? I am positive no one at Nintendo had actually saw a final unit before it shipped, and accidentally ordered a crude prototypeto be mass produced.

But who cares. I will trade it in for the 3DS light and pony up the difference. Unless I bring it back to the store within the next three weeks...

And, you know, it's not like Nintendo isn't capable of designing relatively attractive systems. Look at the leap from the GBA to the GBA SP. The GBA Micro was surprisingly nice too.

Then they released the brick of a DS and followed that up with plasticky junk after plasticky junk. It's almost like Nintendo stopped caring about design under the Iwata regime.

Glix

Amir0x said:

man what a colossal fuck up this 3DS launch was, when anyone could have told Nintendo the importance of two analog sticks. *sigh*

I'm so freaking annoyed

WillyFive

Amir0x said:

Someone must have told them, and they believed him/her for some reason.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Rez said:
Have their been any really convincing arguments in favour of a second slide pad in any threads repeating to this rumor? I haven't been keeping up with it, but it seems like an absolutely ridiculous move on every level.

Proper accommodations for left handed players, for example: Kid Icarus in its current form would be a pain to play for most lefties. And more control options. Dual analog.

Really, I hope this is true. If everything goes smoothly there will be a redesign a year from now. A year after that this will all be forgiven. Well, people will put up with it.

BurntPork said:
Because Nintendo's R&D got replaced with mentally retarded moneys, Miyamoto is a selfish short-sighted fool, and Iwata is oblivious to the world outside of Nintendo. Hell, Iwata probably thinks that Nintendo invented the touch screen and motion control.
BurntPork, Take a deep breath in and let it out, its okay to cry. No need to breakdown. It is an analog stick attachment to the 3DS. You're 3DS is going to look ugly now and might cost you a little bit more for a gameplay enhancement. Your 3DS will still work and Iwata/Nintendo/the Game Industry will move on. Nintendo has done this with Wii Motion Plus, Rumble Pack add-ons, GBA SP, DS Lite and so on. The 3DS should've included a 2nd stick and lower price from the get go but Nintendo is not burning to the ground as we speak.

Boney

Banned
what I find more hilarious is that they did design the 3ds with third parties, especially Capcom. Now it's like

"You know whaaat? I think we want a second nub"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That Herb blunder of the century shop is priceless.

Top Bottom