• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces 3DS Control Expansion Pack, details in OP, STOP POSTING SCANS

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
the androgyne said:
13yqivc.jpg
I was confused by the R2, but now I realize it's because you can't reach the R1.

Mikey Jr.

Atleast you guys will get more NES games. AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Man, early adopters are getting ass fucked by the 3DS.

strem

AceBandage said:
I need a picture of this thing, because I just can't even imagine it working in any scenario.
Check out johntv on twitter or markmacd. They have a pic of the hideous thing

Zabka

For some reason Nintendo likes gimping their portable controls. Not surprised it finally caught up with them. The GBA was missing two buttons, the DS was missing an analogue stick and now this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know what will really suck?

Monster Hunter 3G requiring this peripheral mandatorily.

hatchx

Banned
the androgyne said:
http://i51.tinypic.com/13yqivc.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

That thing better increase the battery life while it's at it.

Is this thing really going to cover the face buttons? How can that possibly work? I guess it will work with MGS 3D, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus....

Might not be such a bad thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Zombie James said:
According to one of the tweets, it's (supposedly) going to add nearly an inch of thickness.
No fucking way. As dense as I consider Nintendo to be lately, there's no fucking way.

M-PG71C

I'm not entirely sure of what to think of this honestly. On one hand, YAY MH! But on the other, this sounds like Nintendo will have a new 3DS out by Spring.

BurntPork

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
BurntPork, Take a deep breath in and let it out, its okay to cry. No need to breakdown. It is an analog stick attachment to the 3DS. You're 3DS is going to look ugly now and might cost you a little bit more for a gameplay enhancement. Your 3DS will still work and Iwata/Nintendo/the Game Industry will move on. Nintendo has done this with Wii Motion Plus, Rumble Pack add-ons, GBA SP, DS Lite and so on. The 3DS should've included a 2nd stick and lower price from the get go but Nintendo is not burning to the ground as we speak.
When you get a controller with an expansion port, you expect expansions. 3DS doesn't have such a port. Plus, it makes the 3DS unwieldy. Nintendo is the most incompetent company in the gaming industry and among the worst 5 in the world. I hope their sock drops bigtime after this and that they get bought out by a company that gives a damn.

Is there any reason it couldn't be on the back of the 3DS? Plenty of room over there and it would give it more depth for an R2.

BurntPork said:
When you get a controller with an expansion port, you expect expansions. 3DS doesn't have such a port. Plus, it makes the 3DS unwieldy. Nintendo is the most incompetent company in the gaming industry and among the worst 5 in the world. I hope their sock drops bigtime after this and that they get bought out by a company that gives a damn.

Thread REALLY delivers.

Busaiku

strem said:
Check out johntv on twitter or markmacd. They have a pic of the hideous thing
That's not the actual peripheral, the pics they posted are the Bandai Super Controller for NES.

Wasn't really mad about the price drop. I knew it was overpriced and jumped in anyway. But if this is true, it really devalues the first iteration. I'll be frustrated for sure.

They should've added it from the beginning, but now that it's out, I don't understand why a second analog stick/slider is even such a big deal. None of Nintendo's first-party games need it. They went a whole console generation without a second analog stick. What kind of third-party pressure are they under for the confusion, devaluing, and horrible PR to be worthwhile?

Anyway, Nintendo, I love your games, but stop fucking up so bad on the hardware-side. Morons...

GaussTek

ULTROS! said:
You know what will really suck?

Monster Hunter 3G requiring this peripheral mandatorily.

Most likely, if it's bundled with the game heh.

nincompoop said:
More add-ons announced. (Too lazy to do a proper mockup)
http://i.imgur.com/X9qWL.jpg[img][/quote]

LOL

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
soxinthebox said:
Is there any reason it couldn't be on the back of the 3DS? Plenty of room over there and it would give it more depth for an R2.
An analog nub... on the back of the system?

Do you work for Nintendo or something?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm clearly not buying a 3DS until Nintendo gets their shit straight.

@jonnyram Jonny Ram
@johntv @markmacd said to jut out 1cm at left, 2-3 cm at right, 2cm at bottom and 2-3 cm thickness.

you know.

2 cm is almost an inch, at the bottom. How thick is this going to make the 3DS? This thing just sounds absolutely ridiculous. I really want to see it now.

dream

You kind of have to wonder if it's even worth releasing a redesign. The whole point of the 3DS was to sell it based on the 3D gimmick and that just didn't work. Releasing the same architecture in a different form factor just seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

Rez said:
Fair points, but a rename? The amount of confusion in an already confused marketplace this would cause is -- uh -- worrying. There's no way they can afford to have a third type of DS game case on the shelf.

Maybe I'm wrong on that. It just seems to be a complete lack of clarity in the mass market that the 3DS and the DS are two seperate consoles. There have been four products each with the letters "DS" marketed over the last few years, each a minor redesign with little to no expanded functionality that effects compatability with games.

It also doesn't help that, to a degree, the "3D" bit seems to have a stigma all to itself.

My assumption was that a rename and rebrand would allow the console to start again, as it were. They'd be able to launch it with Super Mario Land, Monster Hunter, etc, and with a lineup of new software catered to the mass casual market that bought the DS in droves. A renamed, redesigned and rebranded 3DS could be a strategy to try and recapture the power of "new" that the Wii had when it first came out.

Of course, maybe I've over simplified it. But more and more, that 01.net article seems to make sense to me.

Beardz

clashfan said:
I don't know if the design will be good or not but I do believe it will spike sales like Kinect did for 360.

Good one! I almost got astroladed... wait! You're not Astrolad!?

Top Bottom