• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini SNES - 160,000 available day 1 in France

Makki

I hope that over time the availability of these is so high that scalpers end with a Wii U like situation trying to offload them on craigscam for retail price. Bretbone tears.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hope that over time the availability of these is so high that scalpers end with a Wii U like situation trying to offload them on craigscam for retail price. Bretbone tears.
Or they do the smart thing and return them to retailers for a full refund.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It would be glorious if we ended up in a situation where supply actually meets demand and scalpers end up with a ton of units they can't sell at markup, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I know they didn't produce enough NES, but why? Was their machine somehow unable to produce more after a certain number?

Alpende

I'm definitely interested in getting one, hopefully Nintendo has learned that there is a ton of demand for these things after the NES situation.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know they didn't produce enough NES, but why? Was their machine somehow unable to produce more after a certain number?

The woodland creature that bestowed upon them the ability to make NES classics escaped after a couple of months, never to return.

They captured its brother for the SNES and have much tighter security around him.

RedBoot

This has been endlessly debated (because it admittedly does not make rational sense), but here's two theories:

1) Nintendo didn't make enough profit per unit to make it worthwhile. This goes into opportunity cost, if they could produce Switches instead (or, move onto the SNES Classic) that made them more money, it doesn't make sense to keep making the NES Classic. As for why it didn't make enough, they may have priced it too low, or the licensing deals with 3rd party games ate up too much of the profit. Note that both of those issues are addressed in the SNES Classic (higher price, less 3rd parties involved).

2) The nefarious option: The Classics line is simply a hype-building marketing vehicle to drive interest and attention to Nintendo and their products. Nintendo does not actually have interest in satisfying the demand for the product, they simply want people to talk Nintendo and buy the other products.

The one thing to note is that Nintendo clearly does not intend for these to be "evergreen" products, items that continue to sell as long as they are still profitable.

Yogg

That fnac.fr preorder was done in a few minutes and I was too late. I'll hope my local mall gets a few and I'll be at the opening on day-1. If this doesn't pan out, I can still Mame my way through.

shira

We're getting half.

Or half of half.

Or half of half of a third.

Canada getting another jk tier

DCxsLetXsAApeU-.jpg

This might be a stupid question but theoretically can Nintendo ship WAY over demand and scalpers without realising will buy them all? In the end does Nintendo really care if they are being played or not or will this somehow be a bad move?

I mean even I've pre ordered two and I won't cancel either pre order because if I don't give it away as a gift to someone I'm that confident I'll get my money back or maybe even make a little profit. Not making the same mistake as I did with the NES again and not bother buying one at the time.

I know this because I accidentally "scalped" a Pokémon GO Plus. I bought it at launch and like THREE months later I decided I don't really want/need it so I put it up on auction on eBay and it ended up selling for £72.

The distributor of Nintendo products in Scandinavia has told retailers that based on their understanding there won't be additional shipments to Scandinavia after the launch. It's difficult to believe, but that's what articles on Nintendo.se, Nintendo.fi and Nintendo.no claim. Many retailers have already sold out that shipment. Nintendo strategy might be to sell out SNES mini before the holidays so that the focus can be on Switch.

But I bet that's on Bergsala, not Nintendo. I so hope that Nintendo picks another one to distribute Nintendo stuff :(

Gamestop sells pre-orders for 150€, like most of the other shops too. It sucks. Should have put an order when they were 99€ but hesitated. Won't get one most likely.

Fox Mulder

This might be a stupid question but theoretically can Nintendo ship WAY over demand and scalpers without realising will buy them all? In the end does Nintendo really care if they are being played or not or will this somehow be a bad move?

Nintendo said they're making more than the NES classic, but it's still a limited time thing that will sell out and leave people angry.

Nintendo is just using it as a nostalgia novelty item. It's our fault for caring for much.

cordy

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if this will be harder to get compared to a Switch. I was able to preorder a Switch on time but canceled since my brother was getting one but I was able to snag a preorder online. I want this far more than I've wanted a Switch so lets hope that there's ample for people. I've been checking this site constantly, just checking everywhere for a chance a preorder pops up.

ramparter

Banned
Wow that's a lot more than what I'd expect.

Hmm guess they might have like 2 millions for global launch.

Maybe that was their plan all along and deliberately under shipped NES :p

Jay Sosa

I think a lot of you aren't taking into consideration how much more popular the SNES is. I didn't even bother trying to get a NES mini, but this time I was refreshing amazon.it/es/fr/de every 30 seconds for 2 days to make sure I'll get one.

Chinbo37

I think a lot of you aren't taking into consideration how much more popular the SNES is. I didn't even bother trying to get a NES mini, but this time I was refreshing amazon.it/es/fr/de every 30 seconds for 2 days to make sure I'll get one.

And???? did you get it? Jesus talk about suspense :)

Ydelnae

Can we ban NA-begging? Doesn't add anything to the discussion and it floods the thread with the same posts. If the product is not available in your platf-I mean, country, sorry but complaining won't change anything!

I don't even know if I'm joking, I probably am

Just managed to snag a pre-order at MSRP (80€). I'm a happy camper :)

If you rush, and I really mean RUSH, Micromania opened 15k preorders about 30 mins ago. In-store only. I only got mine because I caught a Twitter alert while on my way out and made a detour.

muteki

Not enough imo. That will be gone in 5 minutes.

Yeah, it is more about how long can you accept pre-orders, rather than how many can be produced.

They could announce 5-million and if preorders close in a matter of minutes it is still ridiculous.

Gestault

That seems like a really strong allocation. I'm betting they're able to be more bullish after seeing how well the NES Mini did, internationally.

Top Bottom