• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced | June 21 7:00 AM PT

Andyliini

Predictions:

- Next wave of Mario Kart 8 DLC dated
- Splatoon 3 DLC wave 2 dated
- Tears of the Kingdom DLC announced
- Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake announced
- Square-Enix games featured, Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D, new Mana game, Final Fantasy IX
- Castlevania R
- Retro games on NSO
- Metroid Prime 4 first look
- Pikmin 4

L*][*N*K

Banned
It's been 6 years since the announcement, 4 years since the reboot, the game should be ready. The only reason to push it is for Switch 2.

I think we'll see it, and if they are smart they are updating Metroid Prime Remastered with the MP4 suit so the wait won't be long.
I think you are overly exciting yourself, some of the leaks suggest we will see a 3D Mario and a Mario RPG, if those are real the majority of the focus will be on those, Trust me I want all of that more than you think but I really doubt we will see it, to me it feels like if MP4 is a significant game much bigger than any other Metroid game and it could release cross gen with Switch 2

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think they will shadow drop MP2R tomorrow, then same for MP3R in September alongside finally showing a trailer and a date for Q1 2024 release for MP4... At least that makes sense to me

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It's happening, my dudes!
happy yas GIF

LET'S GO CHRONO TRIGGER REMAKE!!

Last edited:

Murdoch

This direct is hard for me to predict due to the lifecycle of the console (recent rumours aside) I really hope we get a killer lineup for the next 12 months announced today but I can't shake the nagging feeling that all the games announced today aren't intended for me (old Nintendo console RPG's and Japanese niche games that are beloved) this of course is absolutely fine and I'd be happy for those people and I suppose it'd give me chance to tackle my obnoxiously large switch backlog 😅

ANY metroid news would be amazing for me on a personal level alongside any mainline Nintendo first party release announcements.

Woopah

This direct is hard for me to predict due to the lifecycle of the console (recent rumours aside) I really hope we get a killer lineup for the next 12 months announced today but I can't shake the nagging feeling that all the games announced today aren't intended for me (old Nintendo console RPG's and Japanese niche games that are beloved) this of course is absolutely fine and I'd be happy for those people and I suppose it'd give me chance to tackle my obnoxiously large switch backlog 😅

ANY metroid news would be amazing for me on a personal level alongside any mainline Nintendo first party release announcements.
I think we'll get a nice lineup for the next 6 months. Most ganes after that will be saved for the September Direct and Game Awards.

Regginator

I hope they shadowdrop Metroid Prime 2 (and dare I say 3 as well) Remastered. I played Prime for the first time a few weeks ago, and the remaster was incredible from a technical perspective (game in general was amazing), and I really want to play 2 as well. I've had the trilogy on the Wii for ages, but the controls never clicked with me.

Hudo

I wonder if Nintendo are gonna keep that next 3D Mario game for their next hardware. I am kinda antsy for a new one. Other than that, I hope we'll finally get some news for DQ3 HD-2D or that newly announced new DQ Monsters game. DQ12 seems like ways off still...

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think you are overly exciting yourself, some of the leaks suggest we will see a 3D Mario and a Mario RPG, if those are real the majority of the focus will be on those, Trust me I want all of that more than you think but I really doubt we will see it, to me it feels like if MP4 is a significant game much bigger than any other Metroid game and it could release cross gen with Switch 2
Looking at the sales numbers, I don't think Nintendo would think it's big. It'll do 4m tops if not 3ish.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Looking at the sales numbers, I don't think Nintendo would think it's big. It'll do 4m tops if not 3ish.
Zelda wasn't a 30 million selling franchise before BoTW either, the best-selling Zelda game was TP and that is around 8 million, Maybe Metroid Prime 4 won't sell 30 million but why not 10? And I think that is what Nintendo is looking at for most of their big franchises

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Predictions:

- Next wave of Mario Kart 8 DLC dated
- Splatoon 3 DLC wave 2 dated
- Tears of the Kingdom DLC announced
- Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake announced
- Square-Enix games featured, Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D, new Mana game, Final Fantasy IX
- Castlevania R
- Retro games on NSO
- Metroid Prime 4 first look
- Pikmin 4
So, basically all sequels or remakes.

No thank you.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Zelda wasn't a 30 million selling franchise before BoTW either, the best-selling Zelda game was TP and that is around 8 million, Maybe Metroid Prime 4 won't sell 30 million but why not 10? And I think that is what Nintendo is looking at for most of their big franchises
I'd like what you're having.

Haha, unless Metroid Prime 4 is an innovative or total evolution of the gameplay like BotW, I highly highly doubt it. I love Metroid Prime series, and I do hope they will take it to the BotW level, but i don't see it selling as much as Zelda. I hope so, but it would need something big for that to happen.

Also not naming it Metroid Prime 4 would be #1, it should be Metroid Prime: Breasts of the Wild.

Just_one

Nintendo has been survivng just because of these 3 exclusives : Mario,Zelda and Pokemon.

If not for those they would be long gone now so expect something from these 3 franchises

I disagree to a point. It depends on what & how the Remake is made.

I think if Mario RPG R got the FFVIIR treatment and was a complete, ground up re-invention of Super Mario RPG. It could sell FAR more than 3-4 million.

Again, if Super Mario RPG is real. I hope they put a LOT of resources into it. I expect it would release on Switch and Re-Release on Switch 2 just as some games have for PS4/PS5.

I find this Super Mario RPG more feasible than Paper Mario TTYD. As Nintendo likes to release one title per generation, typically. I actually think TTYD remake is for next gen and that will be their Paper Mario for that generation. (As referenced by recent Ubisoft comments about Mario Rabbids and Nintendo’s own advice.)

Futhermore, if Mario RPG is real, i suspect Nintendo uses it as a possible spring board to reinvent Mario Luigi series. That series will have been gone long enough to “re-invent” it on next gen and generations thereafter. Easy money and less of a strain on development resources going forward.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I disagree to a point. It depends on what & how the Remake is made.

I think if Mario RPG R got the FFVIIR treatment and was a complete, ground up re-invention of Super Mario RPG. It could sell FAR more than 3-4 million.

Again, if Super Mario RPG is real. I hope they put a LOT of resources into it. I expect it would release on Switch and Re-Release on Switch 2 just as some games have for PS4/PS5.

I find this Super Mario RPG more feasible than Paper Mario TTYD. As Nintendo likes to release one title per generation, typically. I actually think TTYD remake is for next gen and that will be their Paper Mario for that generation. (As referenced by recent Ubisoft comments about Mario Rabbids and Nintendo’s own advice.)

Futhermore, if Mario RPG is real, i suspect Nintendo uses it as a possible spring board to reinvent Mario Luigi series. That series will have been gone long enough to “re-invent” it on next gen and generations thereafter. Easy money and less of a strain on development resources going forward.
yeah, but we were talking about Metroid Prime.

EruditeHobo

I swear to god if this is more farming sims and shitty muted color indies about anxiety and green hair i am going to throw my Switch away.

This is all it's going to be, I'd imagine... perhaps they'll have 1 announcement about a major franchise coming down the road?

These are almost always bad, IMO. Everyone mentioning Chrono Trigger remake, Mario RPG remake, new 2D Mario, Prime 4 footage... think you're just setting yourself up for significant disappointment.

But maybe I'm way wrong. I'd love some surprises. Not long to wait now, we'll see.

Last edited:
yeah, but we were talking about Metroid Prime.
I apologize, i just dropped in and reading the final page. My apologies.

Will be interesting on Prime 4.

There was a post on 4chan ( I know). Stating MP4 was actually in trouble. Technical challenges, and scope of game At Retro. Nintendo using the remakes of MP1-3 to gauge if they just cancel the project outright.

I don’t believe it currently. BUT, if we don’t see it today or in September. Then I start to give it credence.

Because if we don’t see it today, or September…then imo it means either:

1.) MP4 is a launch game for Switch 2

— or —

2.) Maybe there is some truth to the 4chan post. Which brings up more questions About Retro and western development and Nintendo Going forward. (Which is critical imo).

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I apologize, i just dropped in and reading the final page. My apologies.

Will be interesting on Prime 4.

There was a post on 4chan ( I know). Stating MP4 was actually in trouble. Technical challenges, and scope of game At Retro. Nintendo using the remakes of MP1-3 to gauge if they just cancel the project outright.

I don’t believe it currently. BUT, if we don’t see it today or in September. Then I start to give it credence.

Because if we don’t see it today, or September…then imo it means either:

1.) MP4 is a launch game for Switch 2

— or —

2.) Maybe there is some truth to the 4chan post. Which brings up more questions About Retro and western development and Nintendo Going forward. (Which is critical imo).
I doubt Nintendo will cancel it, and also doubt there's an issue with scope. Nintendo is very good at managing titles and Retro is too after their 2000's shake out. If the trouble is innovation in the series I'm all for it. It's hard to come up with new shit.

Zannegan

“Nintendo [has advised] that it’s better to do one iteration on each machine. We were a bit too early, we should have waited for [the next console].”

Who gets advice like this from the masters and thinks nah I’ll do my own thing.
The same guys who put out an Assassins Creed every year and greenlight projects like XDefiant.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im gonna dream big. Nintendo finally announces a 4K/60 console.

Yuzu is great, but Id much rather play Tears of the Kingdom natively than emulated eventhough I get a much better experience than I would get on my borrowed Switch.

Chastten

Banned
Only a few more minutes!

Honestly, if this Direct delivers, than Switch will probably be my favorite console of all time.

It's already the console I have the largest amount of games for, and the console that saw most playtime, but both were at least somewhat related to Covid and the simple fact the Switch has been around for far longer than the average piece of Nintendo hardware. However, if we get Metroid Prime 4, or a new Mario, or a few really great remakes of classics, it would probably cement the Switch as my favorite console ever.

StueyDuck

So what's the bet the next game is a lazy farm Sim or indie game where the personality comes from a character with green hair

Top Bottom