• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Curious to see how the Grip controller feels before getting a Pro. I think I can manage without a pro for awhile.

Also question time! Can you lay the dock flat??? I would be very happy if this is the case.

jblank83

I really wish I could trade my grey Switch for a neon.

In fact I may receive my Switch, just not open it, and wait for neon availability.

I really wish I could trade my grey Switch for a neon.

This may not apply to you, but where I need an extra set of Joy Cons anyway, I'm just going to get the red and blue set, so it's the same difference. Though they seem to be sold out everywhere including Best Buy.

daffy

Banned
I highly doubt they will have extra Switch consoles in store to buy that aren't preordered.
Kay well I've worked retail through several console launches and I'm telling you that isn't the case, regardless of preorders being filled. At bigger stores there's usually an addtl stock reserve left. When preorders are cancelled they aren't rotated back in. Those are still expected and are left unassigned. In addition, you'll usually recieve addtl stock for shelf recovery.

There's no point in discouraging people from showing up on launch day without a preorder.

So I cancelled my pre-order at best buy a couple weeks ago because I am dumb.

Whats the best way for me to try and get this at launch? Will retailers have units available for sale?

maxcriden

So I cancelled my pre-order at best buy a couple weeks ago because I am dumb.

Whats the best way for me to try and get this at launch? Will retailers have units available for sale?

Potentially Target (see discussion on the previous page) and also see my post #7 for alternate purchasing tips.

Apath

I was really against the pricing and library after the announcement... but now I really wish I had pre-ordered. Oh well! Hopefully these are more widely available by May.

AgeEighty

If you didn't get a preorder, try some lame store no one ever thinks to go to, like Kmart.

That's where I got my non-preordered Wii U on launch day. They only got four of them in, but a second person didn't show up to wait until 6 am.

If you didn't get a preorder, try some lame store no one ever thinks to go to, like Kmart.

That's where I got my non-preordered Wii U on launch day. They only got four of them in, but a second person didn't show up to wait until 6 am.

you have a better chance of finding one at Circuit City than Kmart

Cleve

On the subject of switch launch, does anyone know what's up with Binding of Isaac? Seems like it was pushed back at the last minute.

jblank83

This may not apply to you, but where I need an extra set of Joy Cons anyway, I'm just going to get the red and blue set, so it's the same difference. Though they seem to be sold out everywhere including Best Buy.

Really don't want to spend $80 on another set of controllers. Don't need em.

Also, blue goes on the left... @_@

Cleve

I don't think so. When I preordered the Wii U from Best Buy they had it behind the counter at customer service for store pickup. Had to show ID, order number, etc. to get it and the game/controller I preordered. Also for the PS4 launch I preordered one and it was the same situation and I didn't pick that one up until a few days after.

If your Bestbuy is doing a midnight release I'm sure every Switch will be counted for each preorder and not being sold to the public.

Seems like that was your problem. There were plenty of ps4s for walk-ins at my local best buy's midnight sale. They sold out by the next afternoon, but if you went at midnight you could get one.

Juice

Forgive me GAF, I paid $399 for a day 1 preorder on eBay.

I realize I'm part of the problem, but when I tried on Amazon & Best Buy the instant preorders went up, they were gone by the time I got through checkout 😭

Seems like that was your problem. There were plenty of ps4s for walk-ins at my local best buy's midnight sale. They sold out by the next afternoon, but if you went at midnight you could get one.
Problem? I was just telling a poster that Bestbuy holds preorders and giving examples of previous console preorders that they held for me. i.e. they held my PS4 preorder for a few days.

Onaco

KMart and Sears do not sell video games.

Forgive me GAF, I paid $399 for a day 1 preorder on eBay.

I realize I'm part of the problem, but when I tried on Amazon & Best Buy the instant preorders went up, they were gone by the time I got through checkout 😭
I'm holding out hope for a new shipment the week after it releases.
I'm not sure how it was handled with the Wii U.

I'm gonna use this thread to again be sad that none of my local BB locations in Orlando (including the one I ordered at) are doing a midnight launch.

Also, the Neon Joycon set is never gonna go back in stock on Amazon, is it?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So just that I have this understood correctly, the Joy-Con controllers have no way of being charged unless you buy the separate charging station for them, correct? I have one pre-ordered and want to make sure I'm not spending money if I don't really need it.

Accs1.jpg

Milennia

have just the system preordered atm at gamestop

havent preordered the pro controller or games because i assumed especially the latter i will be ablet o walk in and buy them at any point if so i choose without much issue.

at least in my area judging from previous console launches i havent had trouble buying the OTHER stuff.

jwillenn

I pre-ordered a gray Switch with Gamestop (Online) and I'll be downloading Breath of the Wild once everything is set up. It should arrive on launch day.

hope it all works out!

Smellycat

So just that I have this understood correctly, the Joy-Con controllers have no way of being charged unless you buy the separate charging station for them, correct? I have one pre-ordered and want to make sure I'm not spending money if I don't really need it.

No. The joy cons charge while being docked along with the Switch console.

Supposedly the Joy-cons have a battery life of 20 hours (don't think that's been confirmed though). So, I honestly see no reason for purchasing a charging grip.

Malus

Accs1.jpg

You can charge them by placing them on the Switch unit itself while its docked.

Unai

It's going to be so difficult buying a Switch here in Brazil during the launch window. The 3DS was everywhere, but now Nintendo doesn't sell consoles officially here anymore and Amazon stopped shipping them as well.

Amani

I was just gonna ignore pre-orders and blindly hope that I find one launch day, but fuck it, watching NowInStock like a hawk

Used the Visa checkout, got a Pro controller, screen protector kit and charging grip for $88. Not bad at all. Definitely eases the price of the controller, or got the charging grip for $5, however you want to look at it.

Dragoshi1

When they first went up for preorder at Gamestop, they only had bundles left when I got there, so I got the neon Switch, BotW, the charging dock, and a zelda case.

However, I went back a few week later, wanting to cancel the charging dock in favor of a pro controller, but I was told I couldn't do that as the items are all inside one box/the switch box or something.

When I pick it all up on launch day, if the charger is indeed a separate boxed item, that shit is getting returned.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I just hope the joycons come fully charged out of the box. I'm not gonna want to wait half an hour to an hour for the things to charge when I get home on March 3rd.

LordofPwn

...when I tried on Amazon & Best Buy the instant preorders went up, they were gone by the time I got through checkout 😭
That can't be right, pre-orders at Best Buy were up for awhile, Amazon came several hours later and were gone by the time I woke up. Also I know a few people that were able to walk into a gamestop on that Saturday and still pre-order a unit. So I can understand not being able to preorder at GameStop if there isn't one by you or were tied up and couldn't make it out to one, but online pre-orders for Best Buy were up for like an hour or two. I feel like Walmart was up first, then Best Buy, and Walmart for sure had a second batch that same night.

Top Bottom