• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Previews are coming in

Subjective, but as a WiiU owner the main reason to buy one is instantly gone, even if it is a slightly better version. That is also the only game I would buy, which wasn't the case with PS4/XBO (for me at least).

It isn't like say, BF4 which had a much better version on the new consoles.

We don't even have confirmation that the switch version is that much better.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is true.

It gives you a warning, then it automatically drops into Sleep Mode.

This seems a good feature
BTW I think it is normal to not have all the online features available for review before launch
At lEast here they used to send debug units before launch XD

Still sounds like Switch is not for me particularly at launch, cost of Pro controller, sync issues, console price, screen resolution (720p in 2017 is ridiculous) and battery life are a turn off.

Will look again in 6-12 months.

720p is ridiculous?
Do you want even less battery life?

Plum

It took them a year before they could recommend a PS4 too.

But they didn't do so because of the problems listed and that's where the issue is. Yes, the system is sparse, but not because of those two issues; lack of launch titles outside of Zelda and lack of media functions such as Netflix and Youtube are the other two legitimate problems with it outside of the possibly Joy-Con issues.

By not taking notice of the lack of them on the PS4 and X1 they're putting Nintendo consoles up to a higher standard which, yes, is hypocritical.

Still sounds like Switch is not for me particularly at launch, cost of Pro controller, sync issues, console price, screen resolution (720p in 2017 is ridiculous) and battery life are a turn off.

Everybody says the screen looks amazing. And that won't change in the next 6-12 months.
And 3 hours battery life while playing Zelda, a console game on a handheld, is not enough for you?
Why?

Hot damn! One of the guys from NWR (Nintendo World Report) has some fantastic news about the battery dying! Apparently if you let it go all the way down, the system kicks itself into sleep mode and saves your progress.

His accidental test allowed him to resume playing after 30 minutes between the battery dying and docking the console. That's fucking ace.

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/834775813803372548

Should be interesting to test how long it can preserve a saved state like that.

Someone doesn't remember the Xbox One launch. Terrible dashboard, had to be hard shut powered down on the regular or else it became laggy and unresponsive and games just crashing on a whim.

I've bought a lot of systems on launch day and honestly, the Xbox One was by far my biggest day one regret. That thing was a fucking disaster. I went through three of them inside of two days due to hardware failure. It's kind of funny because eventually it became the most used between that, my PC, and my PS4.

I had the exact opposite scenario! I bought a PS4 on day one and had their terrible hardware issue where the system just wouldn't fully start up. There was nowhere to return/rebuy one and Sony's CS quoted me a month for a fix. I just returned it and bought Xbox One at launch instead and had no issues at all.

But yeah... Day one hardware is day one hardware. If you aren't prepared to experience some hiccups you shouldn't be buying in right away.

Geg

Speaking of activity logs, does the PS4 have one? I went looking for one last night and couldn't find anything

Marmelade

720p on a 6inch screen is just fine
On a TV, less so

Kthulhu

You must hate the iPhone 7 then.

Calm Mind

If a product got nothing but glowing reviews I'd be concerned (*cough* PS4 *cough*). I'm just grateful this preview reveals all the flaws now. That way Nintendo will fix the issues and the console can be enjoyed even more sooner than later.

Yep. Most consoles arent worth it at launch unless you really just want one. I want one and zelda will be awesome.

I was an early ps4 adopter and nothing really grabbed me until bloodborne which came out almost 1.5 years after launch.

Subjective, but as a WiiU owner the main reason to buy one is instantly gone, even if it is a slightly better version. That is also the only game I would buy, which wasn't the case with PS4/XBO (for me at least).

It isn't like say, BF4 which had a much better version on the new consoles.

Okay, well I'm a Wii U owner and BotW is my most anticipated Switch title, and I didn't even think for a second of playing it on Wii U. Different strokes for different folks.

Also there are A LOT of great smaller titles available too, to the point that I'm actually skipping some digital launch titles that I'd really like to play.

Coffinhal

720p doesn't matter, it's the DPI that matters
Also battery life is standard for mobile play, and this time you can charge with a power bank
And as someone pointed out bigger resolution=less battery life, you can't get a cheap high-tech console with the best screen, best resolution, best battery life, everything included

Moose84

So Switch will sell out at launch and then get a huge boost at the end of the year when Mario launches and new features are added... that's not a bad thing.

Wildean

The syncing issue has potential to be a real big deal though. Does it happen when connected to the grip? If so that makes it a more big deal for me personally. Would expedite my purchase of a pro controller. If it's just when they're floating off on their own, unconnected, I can't see myself personally encountering it much.

Isn't the grip just a plastic shell, surely it wouldn't make a difference?

Briarios

I think I may be cancelling my pre-order ... The system still sounds neat, but I can't justify the cost for just one game right now, especially since I can play it on my Wii U. Maybe closer to when Splatoon 2 releases ...

_PsiFire_

2.5 hours is...okay?

C5Wx0DwUcAYL_xu.jpg
I have a 12600mAH powerbank. 10 hours on the go for me which more than enough.

Listonosh

This looks identical to a problem I have on occasion with wiimotes and pro controllers caused by wireless interference. Changing the channel of my router usually helps.

Strange, I've never experienced this with any other wireless controllers. When you say Channel, do you mean the band? Because I currently have a dual band setup going in my house, and I kind of need to because not all of my devices recognize the 5ghz band.

Soundslike

Neo Member
I heard from a reviewer that Zelda was having performance issues in docked mode but was running fine in handheld mode.

From engadget preview:

"I can't say much about Breath of the Wild yet, but I can confirm that it is very much a Zelda game, albeit one that doesn't look like anything you've seen before. Notably, it also performed a lot better than it did at preview events, where I noticed stuttering and occasional slowdown while it was connected to the dock. I wasn't expecting much from the Switch's graphical capabilities, but there are plenty of moments where Breath of the Wild is just strikingly beautiful."

foxbeldin

Bamboo 竹;230863707 said:
I mean, for the battery test's sake it should've been turned off IMO, so the results don't vary because of the reviewer's own context.

Sure but what setting would be the appropriate one to test the battery then? Full or lowest brightness? Not everyone plays in a dark room, and not everyone plays in a bright one.

Seems fair to let it on so we get real life results with different playing conditions, and those are falling between 2.5 and 3 hours and it's interesting to have both these numbers.

As much as people are calling the system's OS and features spartan and basic and all that stuff:

They've got the usability stuff absolutely fucking down to a T.

Looking at the GameXplain OS tour, the Switch OS is packed with thoughtful options and clever details.

boiled goose

good with gravy
There's no online functionality yet right?

No way to sign in with your nnid or Nintendo account?
No eshop?

I hate the wiiu and 3ds sluggish ui. Even settings has to load in and out. Glad switch is fast

Um I have a neon switch on preorder at Bestbuy with Zelda. Since I didn't own the Nasty Wii U.

Man I've had a Wii U for years and I had no idea it was Nasty

Thanks for letting me know

No eshop?

I hate the wiiu and 3ds sluggish ui. Even settings has to load in and out. Glad switch is fast

That stuff will be patched in on March 3.

Hot damn! One of the guys from NWR (Nintendo World Report) has some fantastic news about the battery dying! Apparently if you let it go all the way down, the system kicks itself into sleep mode and saves your progress.

His accidental test allowed him to resume playing after 30 minutes between the battery dying and docking the console. That's fucking ace.

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/834775813803372548

That is really good. I've had so many issues with my 3DS and this.

Strange, I've never experienced this with any other wireless controllers. When you say Channel, do you mean the band? Because I currently have a dual band setup going in my house, and I kind of need to because not all of my devices recognize the 5ghz band.

Nope! I forget where but your router's settings should have an option for "channel" regardless of the band. Depending on where you live you might want to change at least the 2.4Ghz to a channel that's less used. There are guides on doing so online.

I had to do that when my wife and I lived in the city for a bit.

shanafan

No eshop?

Yes, there is the eShop and account connectivity. Nintendo wants to be able to sell their games digitally.

No "online functionality" means online gaming.

When it comes to the display, the Switch is a huge improvement over the Wii U's dim and grainy gamepad. At 6.2 inches, it's the same size as the Wii U display, but it sports a much sharper 720p resolution. While the display was bright and bold indoors, it didn't fare well outdoors. It was no match for sunlight of any kind, and the screen's high reflectivity was an issue even when it was cloudy. I had a hard time making out anything during dark portions of Zelda, and I couldn't see myself actually enjoying the game even when I could see what was happening. This is one issue that could really hurt the Switch: Nintendo is selling it as a console that you can take outside to play with your friends. But what good is it if nobody can see anything?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/23/48-hours-with-the-nintendo-switch/

Just accept that as we're getting closer and closer to launch, Switch threads will be increasingly populated by under-informed people eager to shit on the system for random reasons.
That's been like every Switch thread from the very moment the thing was announced.

Edit: ^ can't be worse than the Vita.

My 1000 was literally unusable outside.

Kthulhu

Wii U had a lot of games, but none worth playing :p

First Nintendo console I've waited on buying since the Gamecube

How is it impractical? It's super easy to implement, that's why it not being there when it was on 3DS highlights how barebones everything is.

Like I said, most people don't care about it and it doesn't really serve a function any more than an achievement does. In fact I'd argue achievements are more useful.

Not saying it shouldn't be there, but putting it on a list of reasons as to why the Switch is barebones is stupid.

sonto340

So it even saves your game? I wonder how that would work in a game with save points, could they have a system save file or something?
The switch has a suspend feature the restores you right where you were when you dropped into sleep mode I believe.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Does the Switch sit level or does it wobble when you push down on the corner? This is crucial.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yes, there is the eShop and account connectivity. Nintendo wants to be able to sell their games digitally.

No "online functionality" means online gaming.

I haven't seen any discussion in previews regarding this functionality. Any links to eshop and account previews?

Also from images, i don't like how the system looks docked. It's super asymmetrical and screen sticks out. How does it look in person?

Also, can it be docked horizontally?

Top Bottom