• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Previews are coming in

Even if there isn't a ridiculous screen lottery this time around, I really fear there'll be backlight bleed issues on this thing.

Is there a valid reason to fear that or are you just overly eager to fear things? :)

This is probably my biggest concern with the Switch. Not necessarily backlight bleed but just general panel issues.

Also you.

It's Japan Display; they make good stuff. There will always be, like, 1-3% faulty devices, but it's looking good so far.

Wallach

I have great screen OCD. The smallest thing will irk me. :)

It's one of the drawbacks of being a hybrid handheld device. Your console can now have a dead pixel. I just really hope they are binning the shit out of these panels this time. Their past couple handheld devices have a pretty poor track record in this context.

ramparter

Banned
When I buy Mario Run, I don't buy the Moto X version for my Google Play account.
Yes but the game requires you have a specific version of android (ex 3.1 - 7). If Nintendo keeps using the same OS on their next devices then your games will probably be compatible. If Switch is not just the console we get now but rather a family of Nintendo devices I expect digital games will be playable on those too. I understand your skepticism though after what happened with the New 3DS / Wii U snes games.

Any comments on the loudness of the switch? I wonder how it compares to current gen consoles. I guess since it's using carts we won't get the disc drive noise of the Wii U.

What time do the Switch Reviews come in?

So just to clear this up so it's in one place:

Switch hardware reviews and non-Zelda software reviews - today (March 1), 2pm GMT/3pm CET/9am US EST/6am US PST

Zelda reviews - tomorrow (March 2), 11am GMT/12pm CET/6am US EST/3am US PST

Good? Good.

Matbtz

I really don't know what to expect from these reviews.
The general consensus about the hardware is already known being positive and we already know there is some (key) features missing (virtual console, a clear presentation of the online service...).

So I don't really know if we are going to have something new (except maybe some news about the day one patch, shop and all).
And I don't know if the console will have good ratings based on those missing features and with the general impression that the launch lineup is weak.

Pachimari

So I randomly went to an online store and saw the price of the Nintendo Switch, and thought that was damn cheap, so now I'm considering getting one. Don't be weak Pachi!

Do we know if we'll be able to transfer data to MicroSD from the internal storage with ease? Don't know whether to get one for launch or not.

Also realised we've heard nothing regarding cloud saves. :/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wouldn't be surprised if the eShop wasn't ready at all.

Not only retail games will be available to download on March 3rd, but there are download only games releasing on March 3rd, so it should be ready / getting the final tuning before the update is released.

Dystify

Vooks just told me the hardware reviews will drop in 1 hours, 33 minutes. I guess I'll prepare a thread.

Edit: Whoops double post.

It's really hard to test hardware without online connectivity. You need to be able to check background downloads, online play and friend interaction at the very least. We will probably see a lot of reviews in progress.

Scrawnton

Is it just me or does it make no sense to allow critics to review your hardware for launch day while still being embargoed to talk about the game that is the only reason to get it?

It's really hard to test hardware without online connectivity. You need to be able to check background downloads, online play and friend interaction at the very least. We will probably see a lot of reviews in progress.

All console reviews today are a review in progress. Things are constantly changing every month for a system. I think a system "review" is kind of meaningless. All that is needed is a basic rundown of system capabilities and links to the game reviews.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lot of the online functionalities were delivered also in the day one patch for Wii U, but I can't remember if that was the case for eshop too.

Sendou

Is it just me or does it make no sense to allow critics to review your hardware for launch day while still being embargoed to talk about the game that is the only reason to get it?

Maybe Nintendo's thinking is that whatever blemish might arise today are going to be forgotten tomorrow when Zelda comes out with all those 10/10 reviews.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A lot of the online functionalities were delivered also in the day one patch for Wii U, but I can't remember if that was the case for eshop too.

If Polygon's note can be trusted

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/18/3660470/wii-u-review

This review was largely completed prior to the Wii U's "day one patch," which enabled the online marketplace for the Wii U as well as Miiverse and online play. While this review does not speak to the Wii U's online components, we will be continuing to evaluate the Wii U over the coming days, weeks and months. As Nintendo's new platform evolves, so will our review.

Top Bottom