• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

spats

Finlands last stand. Scary.

I really like how the phone looks, not sold on WP8 at all, but I really want to try one. That weight picture is really spot on.

We still have Angry Birds to act as a safety net for our national identity.

My Samsung Symbian phone is on its last legs so I've been considering my options in regards to getting a new one. Not sure yet if this phone makes the list. One one hand I feel like I'm obligated to support Nokia but on the other I really, really don't want WP7.

edit:

OP is missing the most important review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvSxCZZtKQ

I love that guy.

kharma45

The Lumia 920 looks amazing. I wish it ran Android.

XvhFI.gif

DJ_Lae

I want a 920.

And I've only had my 710 for a couple of months. Of course, I got it for next to nothing with the expectation that I'd want this new one if I enjoyed the OS.

GCX

My Samsung Symbian phone is on its last legs so I've been considering my options in regards to getting a new one. Not sure yet if this phone makes the list. One one hand I feel like I'm obligated to support Nokia but on the other I really, really don't want WP7.
Why do you really, really not want WP? It's really not that bad.

spats

Why do you really, really not want WP? It's really not that bad.

I've been stuck with Symbian since 2009 because I paid myself sick for Samsung's flagship phone, the i8910, and I'm not willing to invest in another flailing software platform.

I've been stuck with Symbian since 2009 because I paid myself sick for Samsung's flagship phone, the i8910, and I'm not willing to invest in another flailing software platform.

Microsoft is in the phone race for the long haul. Between the new hero devices, the better dev environment of WP8, and app development crossover from Windows 8, it's a good time to jump onboard. The app ecosystem and its deficiencies are exaggerated for most smartphone users.

WP will not go anywhere in near future. MS really wants to (and needs to) get foothold in mobile phone market and they are ready to burn cash because of that (and they have couple of bucks...)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I can trade in my 900 for an 820, but lately I've been having second doubts. Should I still do it?

The Lumia 920 weighs almost half a pound. It clocks in at just under than 90 grams less the iPad Mini. A tablet. It weighs more than the Galaxy Note II and the Titan. No, really. It's uncomfortable enough to be disqualified from serious consideration.

how the hell did this happen?

:( :( :(

I was going to get one of these too. Jesus...

Might have to roll with the 8X.

edit: fuck it, I still want a 920. I'll try in store and decide.

klausbert

I've preordered a yellow 920 at Amazon Germany. It should have been available since yesterday, but Nokia seems to take its sweet time. In the past few days I've been playing around with the Nexus 7 a lot and the temptation to cancel the Lumia and just buy a Nexus 4 is getting bigger by the hour...

UraMallas

I might as well ask here too:

Verizon will only have the Lumia 822 and the HTC 8X. Is the 8X the right choice?

That's the one I would go with if I was staying on Verizon (8X). It's aesthetically unique and it has great specs besides the 16GB internal storage that is not upgradable. If that is a big deal to you you might not want to get it.

3IWdv.png

yer bicepts gon pop, bruh

yea, I read a few more reviews and it doesn't seem like an issue. I'll try it in store and go from there.

That said, it is 40g heavier than my old iPhone 4, which is noticeably heavier than my iPhone 5. As such, I expect the difference to be quite noticeable.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Straight swap? I'd do it.

What are your doubts?
The blue -> yellow switch. I know for the WP8 it's definitely a no brainer, but I'm shallow like that :(. It's a straight swap yeah, I only have to pay 20 for shipping

:lol, probably just because it's absurd like the complaints about the weight.

If all the reviews (that I've read) feel its a big enough issue to mention, then I would take their word over that of whoever created that image since they likely haven't even held the phone yet. But I don't care, cuz I do lift!

UraMallas

If all the reviews (that I've read) feel its a big enough issue to mention, then I would take their word over that of whoever created that image since they likely haven't even held the phone yet. But I don't care, cuz I do lift!

I was concerned about it until I compared the specs of the Lumia with my Droid 2. The Droid 2 is thicker and almost as heavy with a screen that is .8" tinier.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Lots of people have the phone. People from the Build conference and early sales in Canada have put the phone in peoples hands.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
how the hell did this happen?

:( :( :(

I was going to get one of these too. Jesus...

Might have to roll with the 8X.

edit: fuck it, I still want a 920. I'll try in store and decide.

90g is like half the weight of the 920. The Verge is just being overly dramatic.

FortMajor

Banned
I have a zune (xbox music whatever) subscription. And have a 120gb zune and an zune hd. My zune hd is dying and would like to carry just one device. Will the new lumias have a zune app that has the same functionality as my other zune's or some other proprietary nokia program for music?

I have always had an android phone and was curious how windows phones handled the music if you had a zune account.

I have a zune (xbox music whatever) subscription. And have a 120gb zune and an zune hd. My zune hd is dying and would like to carry just one device. Will the new lumias have a zune app that has the same functionality as my other zune's or some other proprietary nokia program for music?

I have always had an android phone and was curious how windows phones handled the music if you had a zune account.

Zune evolved into Xbox Music, which all Windows Phones will have.

Zune was integrated into Windows Phone from day one and Windows Phone 8 got Xbox Music build in.

I had considered a Lumia 900 before and apparently it had an FM Tuner. Now I'm definitely getting a Lumia 920, but I see nothing in the specs for that. Has the FM Tuner been removed?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Lol......people are overreacting about the weight.
not so much the weight but the thickness and size is my complaint. That is why I would get the 8x if I were to get a WP. If you are going to have a large screen, the device needs to be thin.

I want a 920 because it's thick and heavy, sick of all these light and thin phones that I feel I'll snap in half by looking at it wrong.

I want a 920 because it's thick and heavy, sick of all these light and thin phones that I feel I'll snap in half by looking at it wrong.

$10 says an iPhone 5 is probably going to do better than a Lumia in drop testing.

wait, I think it already did iirc (or was that a SGS3)?

Top Bottom