• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Emwitus

If all the reviews (that I've read) feel its a big enough issue to mention, then I would take their word over that of whoever created that image since they likely haven't even held the phone yet. But I don't care, cuz I do lift!

You've never carried anything that weighs 185gms so you can compare? lol seriously.

Izuna

Banned
It's funny... I think Americans may get the Lumia before I'm able to buy it in the UK, despite the original release date being something ike 30th Oct.

Milchjon

how the hell did this happen?

:( :( :(

I was going to get one of these too. Jesus...

Might have to roll with the 8X.

edit: fuck it, I still want a 920. I'll try in store and decide.

Do that, I'd be surprised if holding the phone doesn't resolve all your doubts.

It did for me.

Milchjon

thirty

Banned
hilarious about all the weight comments. i'll take the weight for this camera's low light and video performance any day. I can't wait to make videos with this thing.

$10 says an iPhone 5 is probably going to do better than a Lumia in drop testing.

wait, I think it already did iirc (or was that a SGS3)?

Don't be so sure--Nokia actually does extensive drop testing, IIRC. I think engadget visited their factory/site and got to see some of the equipment in action, can't find the video though. There are a number of user drop/torture tests on the 900, though.

Milchjon

Another report on durability from one of the reviews:

As is the case with all Nokia Lumia devices, the 920 is incredibly well built. The 920's unibody polycarbonate chassis can take plenty of wear and tear: dropping it on the pavement outside V3's office caused no damage, not even a scratch.

Don't be so sure--Nokia actually does extensive drop testing, IIRC. I think engadget visited their factory/site and got to see some of the equipment in action, can't find the video though. There are a number of user drop/torture tests on the 900, though.

could be, but generally speaking...heavier devices are at an inherent disadvantage to lighter ones when dropped. that's just physics, yo. no voodoo required.

a = F/m

Another report on durability from one of the reviews:

of course, we'd need more information than that. like, you know, the height it was dropped from.

Milchjon

could be, but generally speaking...heavier devices are at an inherent disadvantage to lighter ones when dropped. that's just physics, yo. no voodoo required.

a = F/m

of course, we'd need more information than that. like, you know, the height it was dropped from.

Have you watched the cnet video someone linked earlier?

I also dropped my caseless 800 from about 4 feet on a marble floor. Works like a charm. That polycarbonate can take a beating.

And honestly, I don't think it's important if it's more durable than an iPhone 5, as long as it is durable enough for daily life. And it definitely is.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Posted these 920 camera pics I took in the windows phone OT, thought it might interest a few of you.

oaYjp.jpg

zJq2I.jpg

qNFNB.jpg

My previous concerns with the 920:

Battery: one early review said the battery life was abysmal, lasting half a day with heavy use. However, more reviews have come out and said that battery life is solid, lasting a full day with heavy use, and one review said it lasted two days with low-moderate use (just texts and email)

Camera: some early reviews said it had lackluster daytime photos. Nokia has said they are releasing a camera firmware update that will fix most of the issues mentioned, and additional hands-on pics have shown good picture quality

Size: blah blah blah, already taken care. One negative review freaked me out, but given that I'm fine with my 900, I don't think the slightly larger and thinner 920 will be an issue.

MegalonJJ

Banned
As I'm in the UK and I'd like to get an unlocked 920 to use with my O2 sim, is the best bet to order from Amazon Germany? Will it work no problem.

Also, depending on the colour, the price varies quite a bit.

kharma45

As I'm in the UK and I'd like to get an unlocked 920 to use with my O2 sim, is the best bet to order from Amazon Germany? Will it work no problem.

Also, depending on the colour, the price varies quite a bit.

Yeah importing is our only option here unless the EE varients can be unlocked, but I'm yet to see anything about that yet.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
fuck i want this phone so bad. but i am not going back to rogers again. i can't live without unlimited data...i just can't. and i don't have the money.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Yeah, I see.

Still, I'd rather buy it unlocked from Amazon(/any retailer) as opposed to buying an EE one that's been unlocked.

Disappointing really...The 800 is still awesome though, will probably stick with that until the 920 is available unlocked/on O2 here in the UK.

...Any news on the 7.8 update?

I read somewhere that 920 wouldn't upgrade to windows phone 8 when it is released any truth on that?

No truth to it--920 is WP8 out of the box. The Lumia 900 can't upgrade, but should have Windows Phone 7.8, kind of an in-between with a lot less WP8 features.

Top Bottom