• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Fox News Settled Sexual Harassment Allegations Against Bill O’Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just popped up in my inbox.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/...t_na_20170110&nlid=55109252&ref=headline&_r=0

In the weeks after Roger Ailes was ousted as the chairman of Fox News in July, amid a sexual harassment scandal, company executives secretly struck an agreement with a longtime on-air personality who had come forward with similar accusations about the network’s top host, Bill O’Reilly.

The employee, Juliet Huddy, had said that Mr. O’Reilly pursued a sexual relationship with her in 2011, at a time he exerted significant influence over her career. When she rebuffed his advances, he tried to derail her career, according to a draft of a letter from her lawyers to Fox News that was obtained by The New York Times.

An important reminder even when it's somebody you don't like, 'settlement' is not an admission or indication of guilt. I dislike O'Reilly immensley, though, and the story from his accuser makes me dislike him even more, regardless of the settlment.

FStop7

Banned
O'Reilly and his pet baboon at play

Donald-Trump-Bill-O-Reilly-Wave-Yankee-Stadium.gif

Got

Banned
An important reminder even when it's somebody you don't like, 'settlement' is not an admission or indication of guilt. I dislike O'Reilly immensley, though, and the story from his accuser makes me dislike him even more, regardless of the settlment.

His past history gives plenty reason to indicate his guilt. He's a shitbag

You can't? Money

He's quoting Bill O'Reilly.

I agree, but according to the documents NYT obtained, Huddy has brought up the unwanted advances in the past. This doesn't sound like an opportunistic accusation amid the Ailes settlement.

No surprises there. O'Reily is an asshole and always has been. Hannity is the one I wonder about. I have a feeling that dude has gone down some seriously dark roads at some point.

marrec

Banned
He said that?

I'm repurposing his "tide comes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that" quote and substituting Sexual Assault Allegations for "tide" to point out in a comedic fashion that settlements can be explained and, while not an indication of guilt, can be contextualized to form some kind of educated conclusion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Follow-up article by NYT with more details, particularly on the previous cases.

An investigation by The New York Times has found a total of five women who have received payouts from either Mr. O'Reilly or the company in exchange for agreeing to not pursue litigation or speak about their accusations against him. The agreements totaled about $13 million.
The women who made allegations against Mr. O'Reilly either worked for him or appeared on his show. They have complained about a wide range of behavior, including verbal abuse, lewd comments, unwanted advances and phone calls in which it sounded as if Mr. O'Reilly was masturbating, according to documents and interviews.
The reporting suggests a pattern: As an influential figure in the newsroom, Mr. O'Reilly would create a bond with some women by offering advice and promising to help them professionally. He then would pursue sexual relationships with them, causing some to fear that if they rebuffed him, their careers would stall.
The three other settlements were uncovered by The Times. Two involved sexual harassment claims against Mr. O'Reilly, and the other was for verbal abuse related to an episode in which he berated a young producer in front of newsroom colleagues.

Besides the women who reached settlements, two other women have spoken of inappropriate behavior by the host. A former regular guest on his show, Wendy Walsh, told The Times that after she rebuffed an advance from him he didn't follow through on a verbal offer to secure her a lucrative position at the network. And a former Fox News host named Andrea Tantaros said Mr. O'Reilly sexually harassed her in a lawsuit she filed last summer against the network and Mr. Ailes.

A ton more creepy details in there. Also, Mercedes has quietly pulled advertising from his show, and Lexus is seemingly considering it too.

Looks like ol' Bill might be in real trouble over this. Lord, some of that stuff is straight creep as fuck

Yeah seriously:

Mr. O’Reilly started calling Ms. Huddy at all hours, even while he was on vacation. At times, the calls were about work, but they were sometimes “highly inappropriate and sexual,” the letter said. On some occasions, it sounded as if Mr. O’Reilly was masturbating, the letter said.

Like Trump, Bill really sounds like the type to torture women with this power play BS for the sake of his own ego. He doesn't give a shit if she's into him or not. She's just a new target he can abuse knowing that he decides her fate. From his lame fucking "jokes" tearing down powerful black women to his domestic abuse, dude is a woman-despising scumbag through and through.

Bill O'Rancid is a fucking disgrace.

I heard about him really making a joke about Maxine Waters' hair and calling it a "nice James Brown" wig the other day. This White man really thought he made the greatest joke of all time with that bullshit. No respect for him at all

antonz

Hopefully its the beginning of his collapse. Maddow has beaten him in the ratings for the last 3 weeks. Trump is having a good effect boosting the ratings of his opposition

Miletius

Yeah seriously:

Like Trump, Bill really sounds like the type to torture women with this power play BS for the sake of his own ego. He doesn't give a shit if she's into him or not. She's just a new target he can abuse knowing that he decides her fate. From his lame fucking "jokes" tearing down powerful black women to his domestic abuse, dude is a woman-despising scumbag through and through.

Hopefully it happens, but that loofa shit was straight up creeptastic too and he got away with it. I don't have faith that Fox News will punish him -- and even then he'll just fall into something else at a less "reputable" site somewhere in the miasma of AM talk radio.

I'm surprised that Fox News can even hire women at this point.

Hopefully its the beginning of his collapse. Maddow has beaten him in the ratings for the last 3 weeks. Trump is having a good effect boosting the ratings of his opposition

Amen. I hope this is the beginning of his end.

He is such an objectively shitty human being. He's like the poster child of hypocrisy. Fuck that dude, puts me on tilt every time I accidentally see him on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom