• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

DieH@rd

Banned
Battlefront PS4 bundle got a huge amount of pre-orders in October that will all be added to November NPD too.

US Amazon

September
Battlefront LE #16

October
Battlefront LE #26

November [not full month]
Battlefront LE #26
Battlefront standard #26

So, PS4 @299 sold at loss now?
Even if they loose money on $299, it is totally worth it because they have to look strong on Black Friday. And more so, US represents 1/3 of PS4 sales for Sony so they can go wild with holiday sales there because they know they don't have strong competition in the rest of the world.

Even if X1 sells slightly better on BF because of gift cards I don't think it will offset the Star Wars and COD Bundles Sony will have sold prior to Black Friday. Star Wars hype is crazy right now, and I imagine every one of those LE bundles will sell out.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Thjs thread has been an absolute Classic. I assume that since it is NPD Day, we may have some people wander in this thread and wonder what is going on!

That's why everyone should do like I do and read every NPD thread from start to finish. Man, you don't just jump to the last page of a book you're reading, right.

I mean, there's excitement, drama, humor, not that much romance but lots of hurt feelings. I just love Gaf and NPD threads!

foxbeldin

Even if X1 sells slightly better on BF because of gift cards I don't think it will offset the Star Wars and COD Bundles Sony will have sold prior to Black Friday. Star Wars hype is crazy right now, and I imagine every one of those LE bundles will sell out.

The Star Wars deal is the smartest third-party deal that was signed for this year imo.

Cornbread78

My prediction about the Halo 5 LE Bundle is...
200-300k NPD
300-400k WW * about 100k outside US *

The range I added because the bundle didn't get sold out... so they sold less then they expected... it it was sold then my prediction was the high number.

This, we still have plenty of Halo bundles in stock from launch that went unsold. Most hardcore Halo fans have already bought an XB1 and played the crap out of it. There's no doubt that the game will be on top of the charts, or very close to it, but it didn't appear to push much hardware.

A couple anecdotal notes responding to some of the posts over the past couple days:

- Battlefront not pushing much hardware? You do realize this is STAR WARS game when there is incredible hype about the movie coming out and it's the holiday season the bundles just give extra incentive for consumers to purchase a PS4 with a Star Wars game included. Just think about the customer base; where a parent will not buy a CoD game for a adolescent child because of war/gun violance, they will definately by a Star Wars game with lasers and "fantasy violance." they are playing the nastalgia card perfectly with this game. This will play big with with no real price war this holiday season. a customer really wanted a PS4 this past weekend and didn't want to buy the last BO bundle and opted to wait for BF bundle on Tuesday instead, lol.

I mean, look at the extra marketing Sony and EA are puting into this game: (which kind of pisses me off being a huge Tales fan, that Zestiria couldn't even get a trailer on their store retail loop)

This stuff is massive!

M04AKrk.jpg
DYYmsKI.jpg

(The poor quality is my buddies fault I'm at my other job, so I had him take them for me)

- Sony sent a TON of bundles to sell at WM, and that will help since we have been constantly sold out since the price drop. BO3 1TB bundles from last week went really fast even at $429.. (Would be interested to see if the other retailers are getting a bunch these as well)

- Dinsney Infinity (Star Wars edition) PS4 bundles come out tomorrow to lead right into the BF3 launch on Tuesday, tey will be sold out over the weekend on last minute lay-aways no doubt...

Personal thought:

I could see MS pulling another "temporary" price drop in Dec. if they do not "win" Black Friday" like last year. I mean, who knows how much money they lost last year from giving away so much to win Nov./Dec. Also, the GoW 500GB white bundle is scanning for $329 already, so....

Just random musings, please carry on. I totally forgot to put my numbers up again this month.. but for fun:

[PS4] 470K
[XB1] 385K
[3DS] 105K
[WIU] 75K

and yeah, I'm even surprised at this Star Wars hype. The toys are selling like crazy too.

That's why everyone should do like I do and read every NPD thread from start to finish. Man, you don't just jump to the last page of a book you're reading, right.

I mean, there's excitement, drama, humor, not that much romance but lots of hurt feelings. I just love Gaf and NPD threads!

Nah man you are supposed to come in on the day of NPD release hours before numbers are posted, read nothing, and ask when the numbers are posted.

That's begging the question: you assume that 360 owners are going to upgrade to Xbox One.

What's your guess on Xbox One sales last month?

Maybe I assume too much! But this should be the tipping point for a fair few 360 owners to upgrade.

My prediction for XB1 is 350k.

Edit: well Cornbread just smoked up what I was predicting.
I've adamantly believed XB1 will win October for months and beginning of this thread but maybe I just severely underestimate the price cut effect.

QaaQer

Nothing will come close to last year, Sony only made a bundle with GTA V and TLoU at $399, while Xbox One was at $329 with benefits.

This year Xbox One has better deals but PS4 is much more competitive, so even if Microsoft wins BF will be a close margin.

I wonder if in some ways it is better to be the more expensive console, that way you attract the more valuable customers like Apple. Apple has like 30% of the market but they make like 90% of smartphone profits. I wonder what the arpu is for each ecosystem.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I have a few questions. We generally refer to Amazon rankings when discussing NPD, probably because it's a reliable measure from one retailer of how each console is fairing against the other. Now, what I'd like to know is, do we have data from other retailers - rankings, charts, and otherwise - that indicate how these consoles have been selling relative to one another? Is there something similar with Walmart, Target, etc.? Has there been anything like that available to us in the past?

I'm curious, because although there may have been preorders for the Halo bundle on Amazon from August, how often were those bundles preordered at other retailers? I'm going to assume that nowhere near as many were preordered elsewhere. And if PS4 consistently outsells Xbox One in stores, then I'd think that disparity would surely make up for whatever edge the Xbox One had in preorders in the previous months.

Boke1879

This, we still have plenty of Halo bundles in stock from launch that went unsold. Most hardcore Halo fans have already bought an XB1 and played the crap out of it. There's no doubt that the game will be on top of the charts, or very close to it, but it didn't appear to push much hardware.

A couple anecdotal notes responding to some of the posts over the past couple days:

- Battlefront not pushing much hardware? You do realize this is STAR WARS game when there is incredible hype about the movie coming out and it's the holiday season the bundles just give extra incentive for consumers to purchase a PS4 with a Star Wars game included. Just think about the customer base; where a parent will not buy a CoD game for a adolescent child because of war/gun violance, they will definately by a Star Wars game with lasers and "fantasy violance." they are playing the nastalgia card perfectly with this game. This will play big with with no real price war this holiday season. a customer really wanted a PS4 this past weekend and didn't want to buy the last BO bundle and opted to wait for BF bundle on Tuesday instead, lol.

I mean, look at the extra marketing Sony and EA are puting into this game: (which kind of pisses me off being a huge Tales fan, that Zestiria couldn't even get a trailer on their store retail loop)

This stuff is massive!

M04AKrk.jpg
DYYmsKI.jpg

(The poor quality is my buddies fault I'm at my other job, so I had him take them for me)

- Sony sent a TON of bundles to sell at WM, and that will help since we have been constantly sold out since the price drop. BO3 1TB bundles from last week went really fast even at $429.. (Would be interested to see if the other retailers are getting a bunch these as well)

- Dinsney Infinity (Star Wars edition) PS4 bundles come out tomorrow to lead right into the BF3 launch on Tuesday, tey will be sold out over the weekend on last minute lay-aways no doubt...

Personal thought:

I could see MS pulling another "temporary" price drop in Dec. if they do not "win" Black Friday" like last year. I mean, who knows how much money they lost last year from giving away so much to win Nov./Dec. Also, the GoW 500GB white bundle is scanning for $329 already, so....

Just random musings, please carry on. I totally forgot to put my numbers up again this month.. but for fun:

[PS4] 470K
[XB1] 385K
[3DS] 105K
[WIU] 75K

and yeah, I'm even surprised at this Star Wars hype. The toys are selling like crazy too.

Thank you for your insight! Yea I feel some people are underestimating the Star Wars hype. It's going to be huge. I posted earlier in the thread about a friend who came up to me who doesn't even game yet she asked me what console to buy in order to play Battlefront. She's getting the bundle next Tuesday.

I know BF counts for a lot of the sales but most people's probably won't care about a gift card. Most people see $299 consoles and will jump. Having $350 SW bundle will push massive units on BF as well.

That said. This thread will be fun in like 8 hours

allan-bh

Thank you for your insight! Yea I feel some people are underestimating the Star Wars hype. It's going to be huge. I posted earlier in the thread about a friend who came up to me who doesn't even game yet she asked me what console to buy in order to play Battlefront. She's getting the bundle next Tuesday.

I know BF counts for a lot of the sales but most people's probably won't care about a gift card. Most people see $299 consoles and will jump. Having $350 SW bundle will push massive units on BF as well.

That said. This thread will be fun in like 8 hours

In the other hand I think some people are overestimating, talking about Battlefront as if it were Call of Duty.

In the other hand I think some people are overestimating, talking about Battlefront as if it were Call of Duty.

I don't think people are overestimating at all. Battlefront is the literal four quadrant game. Also it has Stars Wars hype going for it and Battlefield has quite the following and that crowd will be here too. It would not surprise me one bit of battlefront is the best selling game of the year.

Everyone is talking about battlefront. Even those that don't play games often or at all.

Ricky_R

Personal thought:

I could see MS pulling another "temporary" price drop in Dec. if they do not "win" Black Friday" like last year. .

I'm not so sure they would pull a temp price drop again. Last one had a pretty negative effect as soon as they bought it back to $400. Although $300 is usually the sweet spot for most, so it may be worth it.

Javin98

Banned
Well, guys, I'm going to bed in 5 minutes. I'll wake up 30 minutes before the NPD thread goes live to get that sweet PR to see which console won. It's gonna be an NPD thread of the ages tomorrow!

Destiny caused a 300k bundle spike, for the PS4 last year in a non holiday season, with battlefront will easily do that and more until the film hits, it won't do call of duty software numbers, but the spike for the PS4 is going to be massive.

Death2494

I didn't attack anything.

Ah, so you must know how each individual item sold!

You would still need to know how everything is relatively selling. How does the X1's #24 spot compare to whatever is in the top ten? There could be a notable divide the higher you go. Maybe there isn't and sales are fairly similar. We have no way of knowing. You could really go either way with it.

I just think it could go either way. Someone can feel the preorders were not big enough to make a difference and someone else can feel they were huge. It shouldn't be a problem either way since we have no clue of the actual numbers and basing it off of how we feel more than anything else.

Pre orders for Amazon arent locked it. So if Xbox Halo bundle isnt ahead of the Uncharted bundle, there is ra reason for that. Pre orders arent guaranteed.transactions aren't finalizing until like a week before it comes out. So those preorders in the previous months don't count as actual sales for this month.

DieH@rd

Banned

This stuff is massive!

M04AKrk.jpg
DYYmsKI.jpg

Personal thought:

[PS4] 470K
[XB1] 385K
[3DS] 105K
[WIU] 75K

Thanks for the impressions. Can you post anything about COD software console split, and how TR is selling?

AP90

Thjs thread has been an absolute Classic. I assume that since it is NPD Day, we may have some people wander in this thread and wonder what is going on!

Here is a quick summary of what you can find in this thread, in no particular order:

* A summary of Amazon Monthly Charts for October and November
* A discussion of how "big" is really "big" when it comes to preorders on Amazon.
* November NPD Predictions
* XB1 has October locked down, for sure
* PS4 has October locked down, for sure
* Abidel support session as he fears this Black Fridays madness
* Whether Tomb Raider will chart in November and why.
* The length of the tentacles on Splatoon.
* Black Friday Deals
* The effectiveness of Gift Cards with a purchase on Black Friday
* The design of the Star Wars Limted PS4 Bundle
* Oh, yeah, and some NPD Predictions for October!

And about 10 other things! And it was glorious!

But what about Minecraft?!?! =P

For fun, while people are discussing, arguing and fighting in the NPD thread, I made a MS Holiday PR Bingo Sheet for simple entertainment. I did a pretty solid job predicting the Halo PR earlier, so I thought this would be fun. I tried to make one up for Sony but their PR department lacks the creativity and buzzwords of MS awesome PR.

Again, please do not take this seriously, it is just for fun. I predict you could win multiple ways on this card come this evening.

7ed9e3c.png

Tubie

This stuff is massive!

M04AKrk.jpg
DYYmsKI.jpg

Personal thought:

[PS4] 470K
[XB1] 385K
[3DS] 105K
[WIU] 75K

Holy shit, just looking at those pictures hypes me for the game.

I can just imagine a lot of people, that probably had no intention to buy a console at all this gen, buying that bundle out of hype for the movie.

Cornbread78

Not Call of Duty, but lot and LOTS of hype and interest. Just keep in mind that SW is considered "kid safe" whereas many parents place CoD alongside GTA, fair or not. You have to look past just Battlefront the game to understand the impact Star Wars has in the retail world. WM, Sony, EA and Disney have all put a lot of money into this marketing engine....

Thanks for the impressions. Can you post anything about COD software console split, and how TR is selling?

Without numbers (at a diff job right now)

CoD and FO4 selling better on PS4 (lots of 360 copies still being sold)

We received very limited copies of TR (XB1 and 360) and still have copies left of both. Immediate focus is on FO4.

personal confusion on this:

Why would they release TR on the same day, have exclusivity for TR and market the crap outta in on ESPN, etc, but plan the bundles for FO and push that at retail?

They should have released TR before CoD/BF/FO4 or after after them all. FO sales have actually been pretty surprising (in a positive way)..

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Holy shit, just looking at those pictures hypes me for the game.

I can just imagine a lot of people, that probably had no intention to buy a console at all this gen, buying that bundle out of hype for the movie.

Same here, but for the movie too. Yea...I think ppl were also hungry for another Star Wars movie...a decent one hopefully. One that seems like a continuation of, sequel to Return of the Jedi.

.90% of my friends bought digitally
.Why was Zhuge banned?
.cboat appearance
.Halo is dad
."by a nose"

Nice.

The Star Wars deal is the smartest third-party deal that was signed for this year imo.
I don't know about that. It was obvious that it was going to work. It's Star Wars. Sony can also pick and choose due to their dominance. I'm sure Sony has a generational EA/Star Wars promo contract set up. Expect Star Wars SP bundles to be sold next November as well from Sony. The smartest deal so far is Watch Dogs, even though that's from last year. Destiny was also a great get but it's from Bungie, you could guess how that would turn out. :/

N.Domixis

Banned
I don't know about that. It was obvious that it was going to work. It's Star Wars. Sony can also pick and choose due to their dominance. I'm sure Sony has a generational EA/Star Wars promo contract set up. Expect Star Wars SP bundles to be sold next November as well from Sony. The smartest deal so far is Watch Dogs, even though that's from last year. Destiny was also a great get but it's from Bungie, you could guess how that would turn out. :/
Ea would give ms Star Wars marketing if it wants or Disney being good partners with Sony, almost every ea game is with ms.

Ea would give ms Star Wars marketing if it wants or Disney being good partners with Sony, almost every ea game is with ms.
lol there's no way that is happening. Because that would be stupid as fuck from EA's business POV. Sony is crushing MS and EA makes more money selling on clearly dominating console when they team up. Sony is going to be first in the grocery store for every big 3rd party game for the rest of the generation.

Top Bottom