• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Play Scores 'n Such

Cover: Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Editorial: "What's in a number? Pt. 2" Halverson makes a case that a 10 is from how a game makes the reviewer feel.

Interviews:

Brian Allgeier, creative director at Insomniac (Big'n too)

Felice Standifer, Mark Valledor, and Yusuke Watanabe of that Eye of Judgement deal-thingie

Viking: Battle of Asgard's team (Spartan sequel set in Norse mythos)

KUF: Circle of Doom's director Henry Lee

CyberConnect2's Hiroshi Matsuyama. (Tail Concerto produced by and for furries confirmed).

Amy Henning, Mark Cerny, Donald Mustard, and Paul "Locki" Wedgwood talk the classics that inspired them in their careers in games development.

Assassin's Creed composer Jesper Kyd

Reviews:

Stranglehold: 9

Soul Nomad: 6.5 (say it ain't so, Shidoshi! say it ain's so!)

Metroid Corruption: 9

Acme Arsenal: 7.5

Bioshock: 9.5 (GOTM)

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core: 7

Flatout Ultimate Carnage: 8

Fatal Inertia: 6.5

Two Worlds: 6.5

Mercury Meltdown Revolution: 3

Mario Strikers Charged: 8.5

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles: 8.5

Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness: 8

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 8

Hot PXL: 6.5

Jackass: 6

Sonic Rush Adventure: 8.5

PlayJapan:

Folklore: 9

Hajime no Ippo Revolution: 8

It's a Wonderful World: 8 (bonus psychoanalysis of Nomura free with reading)

Wild Arms XF: 9

IzumiK

Banned
In before "why isn't Bioshock a 10?"

Nice to see Folklore and Dracula X at decent scores. Whoa Stranglehold.

Kyoufu

Stranglehold a 9? :lol

Play is a pretty good joke magazine to read at the waiting room in a hospital emergency ward when you're feeling like shit and need a laugh to help you feel better.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's really hard for me to trust Play reviews after they gave Sonic the 10, you never really know who wrote it.

traveler

Not Wario
jj984jj said:
It's really hard for me to trust Play reviews after they gave Sonic the 10, you never really know who wrote it.

It was a 9.5. And we do really know who wrote it- Dave Halverson. (I think :lol ) What kind of statement is that?

Grecco

Oh Play.

4r2q1iq.gif

Somebody tell me what they disliked about Zelda. Because I'm almost certain it'll be graphics and them not wanting to use the touch screen.

jj984jj

traveler said:
It was a 9.5. And we do really know who wrote it- Dave Halverson. (I think :lol ) What kind of statement is that?
Uh, a valid one? I didn't remember the exact score for Sonic (that's still insanely high), but I'm referring to the reviews in this issue obviously when I say I don't know who wrote each review.

traveler

Not Wario
jj984jj said:
Uh, a valid one? I didn't remember the exact score for Sonic (that's still insanely high), but I'm referring to the reviews in this issue obviously when I say I don't who wrote which reviews.

I meant the comment on "Well, we don't really know who writes the reviews." The names are beside each one; it isn't a mystery or anything. (And the reviews aren't the opinion of the entire staff if that was what you were inferring.)

jj984jj

traveler said:
I meant the comment on "Well, we don't really know who writes the reviews." The names are beside each one; it isn't a mystery or anything. (And the reviews aren't the opinion of the entire staff if that was what you were inferring.)
Uhh... not for us (reading the topic) without the magazine (which I imagine is most of us). :lol

traveler

Not Wario
jj984jj said:
Uhh... not for us (reading the topic) without the magazine (which I imagine is most of us). :lol

Ahh, ok. I misread your post. I thought you meant the magazine either kept the author's names off the reviews or wrote collectively. :lol My bad.

AniHawk

Kintaro said:
<looks around>

So, I guess all of you has played Zelda DS?

Well unlike all the shit that went down around Bioshock and Metroid Prime 3 when they had "low" review scores, Zelda has been out for months, and several people have imported it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AniHawk said:
Well unlike all the shit that went down around Bioshock and Metroid Prime 3 when they had "low" review scores, Zelda has been out for months, and several people have imported it.

Yeah. Of course. But everyone in this thread?

JDSN

Banned
Editorial: "What's in a number? Pt. 2" Halverson makes a case that a 10 is from how a game makes the reviewer feel.

Something tells me this editorial is the most entertaining part of this issue, give us some quotes.

Top Bottom