• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Play Scores 'n Such (Super Paper Mario = Sonic 360)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Krowley said:
:lol why are you attacking the messiah of all our dreams

Hopefully this is sarcasm, otherwise... That burning sensation in your feet? That's the flames of hell rising up to claim you.

I'm just messin around. :lol

SPM is part of my 3 most anticipated games of this year, I just enjoy pokin fun at it
Don't tell Dragona or Amir0x ;)

Oblivion said:
I'm just messin around. :lol

SPM is part of my 3 most anticipated games of this year, I just enjoy pokin fun at it
Don't tell Dragona or Amir0x ;)
lolz

Play begins the SPM review preliminaries --just wait until EGM doesn't make it platinum + GOTM. I don't want to be the man who starts that thread.

Haunted

Mr. Spinnington said:
lolz

Play begins the SPM review preliminaries --just wait until EGM doesn't make it platinum + GOTM. I don't want to be the man who starts that thread.
Sure you do.

spm was reviewed by heather campbell. she complained that the platforming was interrupted by lengthy and inane story/conversation sequences, and that the whole game featured an awful lot of "tell" as opposed to "show". that *is* a bit off-putting for a nintendo platformer -- seems like the only rpg element they didn't wholly eject was the most irritating one.

EktorPR

Drinky Crow said:
spm was reviewed by heather campbell. she complained that the platforming was interrupted by length and inane story/conversation sequences, and that the whole game featured an awful lot of "tell" as opposed to "show". that *is* a bit off-putting for a nintendo platformer -- seems like the only rpg element they didn't wholly eject was the most irritating one.

Wait, wait, wait...since ****ing when Super Paper Mario is *solely* a platformer?

Tiktaalik

What TMNT is this one? Aside from the GBA one, the other versions have been panned by everyone else. Wario has been panned by respectable reviewers as well.

Play is out to lunch as usual it seems.

What the? All reports on 300 and Wario: MoD has been very negative. How are we getting such conflicting opinions? I mean, I may understand if they gave it a 6 or a 7, but a 9? And TMNT has been panned as garbage with numerous reviews citing the game as impossible to lose.

Tiktaalik

Drinky Crow said:
spm was reviewed by heather campbell. she complained that the platforming was interrupted by length and inane story/conversation sequences, and that the whole game featured an awful lot of "tell" as opposed to "show". that *is* a bit off-putting for a nintendo platformer -- seems like the only rpg element they didn't wholly eject was the most irritating one.

Hmm if it's like Mario and Luigi DS I could defintely see this complaint. That game was like one huge tutorial. Since Super Paper Mario is an RPG as well it could easily have the same problem.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
lots of text about mario isn't exactly an appealing prospect -- sounds as if the rpg half of its lineage really asserts itself. that probably shouldn't be surprising in a game called 'super paper mario.' but we don't have to like it.

Gigglepoo

Drinky Crow said:
spm was reviewed by heather campbell. she complained that the platforming was interrupted by lengthy and inane story/conversation sequences, and that the whole game featured an awful lot of "tell" as opposed to "show". that *is* a bit off-putting for a nintendo platformer -- seems like the only rpg element they didn't wholly eject was the most irritating one.

That's why I have my expectations set to very low for this game. I hated Paper Mario 2. Easily one of the most boring, arduous experiences I had last generation. The concept of SPM sounds fun (RPG Platformer) but PM2 is like a slower version of Hotel freaking Dust. If I can skip the story and get to the action, I'm sure it will be fun. But if 15 of the 25 hours are filled up with pointless inane text, I will be quite pissed.

mollipen

Mashing said:
That would be hilarious as people would think you were saying f uck.

"Man, I was ****ing Super Princess Peach all weekend. So tight, but a little easy, and the sounds she makes as you **** are a bit annoying."

according to her review -- i haven't played the game myself, but have watched a fair few videos of it -- the game is largely a pure platformer with only minor rpg elements EXCEPT for the reams of inane dialogue that constantly interrupt the level flow and progression. for example, you meet one of the pixel critters, and the game isn't content to say POWER UP but instead gives you a rambling exchange about the pixel critter's personal history punctuated by several dumb text gags. that's great if you're a ninthing who needs mario universe canon to pen THE authoritative mario-metroid crossover slashfic, but for the rest of us who, upon playing the game, realize it's 90% platformer at heart? not so awesome.

VicAlpha said:
worst thread title ever

Don't look at me! :lol

About the Campbell thing, I was seriously wondering about the wording she chose; it was very vague as to what actually set her off about it. Too many tutorials? Too much dialogue? Too many stops in gameplay for story? It swung wildly, so I just went with the first sentence which was "bwah?" in light of Mario RPG, Paper Mario 1 & 2, and Mario and Luigi 1 & 2.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
soul creator said:
I must admit, all the ****station references would be pretty funny!
So I picked up a copy of Super Paper Mario and when I got home my girlfriend saw that I had purchased SPM and wanted to **** it. I had some work to do so I couldn't **** right away and I didn't want her to **** it before me. She responded with "**** that!" and decided to **** it first anyway. So I finish all my ****ing work as fast as I can so I can **** SPM with her. Well when I sit down she refuses to let me **** too! WHAT THE ****? She says she's having too much fun to stop ****ing. Seriously GAF this is pissing me off. ****ing women...

EDIT:

shidoshi said:
"Man, I was ****ing Super Princess Peach all weekend. So tight, but a little easy, and the sounds she makes as you **** are a bit annoying."
Oh you ****ing bastard!

SantaC

Drinky Crow said:
according to her review -- i haven't played the game myself, but have watched a fair few videos of it -- the game is largely a pure platformer with only minor rpg elements EXCEPT for the reams of inane dialogue that constantly interrupt the level flow and progression. for example, you meet one of the pixel critters, and the game isn't content to say POWER UP but gives you a rambling exchange about the pixel critter's personal history punctuated by several dumb text gags. that's great if you're a ninthing who needs mario universe canon to pen THE authoritative mario-metroid crossover slashfic, but for the rest of who, upon playing the game, realize it's 90% platformer at heart? not so awesome.

might has well have done Paper Mario 3 with all the rpg elements the previous game had then.

i think she's really begging the larger question: do mario games NEED any real plot or character? mario and luigi was cute, but once was enough, please. the double dip was just embarrassing despite the little nods to internet memes. it's more fun to wonder why mario is made of paper and why the world switches to arbitrary 3d than it is to hear about princess peach's episodal anxieties. mario sunshine's worst crime was its attempt to give us a plot.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Drinky Crow:

The problem is when you put that score in relation to the other scores it looks awful. I mean come one, there's no ****ing way neither TMNT nor 300 is a 8.5? This shit is what happens when people won't/can't use the 1-10 score properly.

AniHawk

Drinky Crow said:
i think she's really begging the larger question: do mario games NEED any real plot or character? mario and luigi was cute, but once was enough, please. the double dip was just embarrassing despite the little nods to internet memes. it's more fun to wonder why mario is made of paper and why the world switches to arbitrary 3d than it is to hear about princess peach's episodal anxieties. mario sunshine's worst crime was its attempt to give us a plot.

I thought its worst crime was the hideous voice acting. At least the plot could've been largely ignored otherwise.

Other than that, I agree. I don't see where any platformer actually needs to tell a story. It's not the point of the genre.

Epiphyte

Drinky Crow said:
Sunshine's plot was essentially the same as all previous Mario games, with the exception of Bowser Jr. I felt the cut scenes at the beginning and end were pretty stupid, but to pin Sunshines failures on something at amounted to 5 minutes out of a 20 hour game is reaching. The lack of variety in level design was a far greater impediment than any attempt at storytelling.

Frankly, I enjoyed much of the writing in PM2, so I still have pretty high hopes for SPM.

i ain't defending play: halverson's an embarassment to gaming. but heather provided largely solid reasons for giving super paper mario an 8.5. i have no idea why the reviews of 300 and tmnt are so high, but i think halverson reviewed them, and his scale goes like this:

10: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead on a motorcycle and had platforming elements
9: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead OR it had motorcycle racing OR it had platforming elements
8: "duh hyuck i had fun"
7: "hurrrrrrrrr"
1-6: SEGMENTATION FAULT, CORE DUMPED

it's funny, because in his editorial byline he'll occasionally demonstrate something resembling the sort of critical faculties afforded by a lifetime of avid gaming. then he gets a copy of a game with a bigtit animu girl, and the blood leaves his head or something and we're all left wondering why sudeki got an 8.

Krowley

Epiphyte said:
Sunshine's plot was essentially the same as all previous Mario games, with the exception of Bowser Jr. I felt the cut scenes at the beginning and end were pretty stupid, but to pin Sunshines failures on something at amounted to 5 minutes out of a 20 hour game is reaching. The lack of variety in level design was a far greater impediment than any attempt at storytelling.

Frankly, I enjoyed much of the writing in PM2, so I still have pretty high hopes for SPM.

yeah, paper mario 2 actualy got the concept of a thick story in a mario game right.

it had one of the funniest, most entertaining story's of any rpg last gen.

i can't see how this is a negative.

I don't think these cross-comparison reviews are a good idea. I mean, I bet there are a million instances where a great game got the same review as a terrible one. What did IGN give Starfox Adventures?

.....C'mon guys. No matter what the reviewer of some magazine said, Super Paper Mario will rule. It is the ultimate fan service. I expect 9+ from all publications.

pm2 was an rpg, right down to the oubliette-style turn-based battles and the backtracking. the pace accomodates whacking the A button on cue and incessant dialogue.

spm is by-and-large a platformer. the pace and style does not accomodate whacking A through interminable text bubbles.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Drinky Crow said:
i ain't defending play: halverson's an embarassment to gaming. but heather provided largely solid reasons for giving super paper mario an 8.5. i have no idea why the reviews of 300 and tmnt are so high, but i think halverson reviewed them, and his scale goes like this:

10: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead on a motorcycle and had platforming elements
9: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead OR it had motorcycle racing OR it had platforming elements
8: "duh hyuck i had fun"
7: "hurrrrrrrrr"
1-6: SEGMENTATION FAULT, CORE DUMPED

it's funny, because in his editorial byline he'll occasionally demonstrate something resembling the sort of critical faculties afforded by a lifetime of avid gaming. then he gets a copy of a game with a bigtit animu girl, and the blood leaves his head or something and we're all left wondering why sudeki got an 8.

See, that's what I'm saying. While the SPM-review might be "correct" and reasonable if you read it the other crap around acts like an infections and makes the SPM-review smelly as well.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it again; people should learn how to use the scoring system, all of it, not just 7-10. A 5 shouldn't be considered bad, just average - which is a more likely score for say 300 or TMNT.

Epiphyte

Drinky Crow said:
pm2 was an rpg, right down to the oubliette-style turn-based battles and the backtracking. the pace accomodates whacking the A button on cue and incessant dialogue.

spm is by-and-large a platformer. the pace and style does not accomodate whacking A through interminable text bubbles.
I'd agree, but I'd like to know more about where these story sequences are placed. If they are actually placed in the middle of the platforming stages, that's pretty bad design, because, as you say, it ****s with the pace. However, we know from previews that there is also an overworld/town of sorts that you visit in between platforming stages, and if much of the storytelling is confined to these sections, I think it will complement the platforming portions nicely.

ant1532

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

You also have to gain abilities to run, grab a shell, ect. ya know

gee, and those sort of rpg elements made the castlevania games rpgs moreso than platformers? heck, in metroid, you hafta earn the abilities to roll into a ball or super jump -- is that series now an "rpg" one?

silenttwn

Drinky Crow said:
that's great if you're a ninthing who needs mario universe canon to pen THE authoritative mario-metroid crossover slashfic, but for the rest of us who, upon playing the game, realize it's 90% platformer at heart? not so awesome.

:lol Well I actually enjoyed the writing in Paper Mario 2. It was funny. I can imagine this being slightly annoying though.

ant1532

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
gee, and those sort of rpg elements made the castlevania games rpgs moreso than platformers? heck, in metroid, you hafta earn the abilities to roll into a ball or super jump -- is that series now an "rpg" one?
Who said it was an rpg?

I was just stating more RPG elements. Is that ok?

you were questioning my assertion that spm is far more platformer than it is rpg, and your argument was that spm dispenses you new abilities when you accomplish certain objectives in the game. i am now suggesting that inbreeding has made you fat, ugly, and retarded. happy?

Top Bottom