• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Play Scores 'n Such (Super Paper Mario = Sonic 360)

Krowley

Drinky Crow said:
pm2 was an rpg, right down to the oubliette-style turn-based battles and the backtracking. the pace accomodates whacking the A button on cue and incessant dialogue.

spm is by-and-large a platformer. the pace and style does not accomodate whacking A through interminable text bubbles.

hmmm...

we'll see. I sorta see what you're getting at and it may be a flaw. It is an unusual combonation and some people might have trouble adjusting to the interuptions.

I'm personaly intrigued to see if this is a common complaint. I don't think it will bother me but i have to admit that i'm not a fan of story interupting gameplay when it's overdone.

shidoshi said:
When do people get banned for this stupid crap of suggesting that things should be banned?

"They" didn't give anything to anything. A specific editor gives a specific game a specific score, a score that other editors of that same publication may or may not agree with.

We get it, you're in bed with a magazine. Tell your wife about it, not us.

Soul4ger

I remember in the Castlevania PSP Rumor thread a while ago, people were commenting on how bad PLAY was, and one guy who wrote for it came in and was like, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH OUR MAG?" :lol What a joke.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
super funk said:
Thats because hes a fanboy. Play is one of the last few remaining bastions of unbiased gaming reviews.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

IGN has put out the most consistent Wii reviews around IMO.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
typhonsentra said:
Yup, every Wii title is just that awesome.

IGN gave Tiger Woods and Sonic the lowest reviews out of Gamespot, IGN, and 1up.

Just because a reviewer is actually focused on the Wii doesn't make him a biased fan boy.

But let me guess- you prefer 1up's 2 paragraph reviews.

Grecco

Good to see Play is still as awfull as ever. Dave suggested a couple of years ago that Microsoft should buy Nintendo to benefit the industry.

SantaC

super funk said:
Thats because hes a fanboy. Play is one of the last few remaining bastions of unbiased gaming reviews.

Matt C has been very critical of nintendo the last few years. He is one of the better reviewers actually.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I find myself agreeing with Drinky an awful lot in this thread.

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Epiphyte

From Matty C's preview:
Peach can float and she's a "babe," as one boss describes her. (This toad-like entity is the ultimate nerd and through clever writing we learn that he has a collection of videogames and comics, record all of his favorite television shows, and so on. He reminds us of many of our sad, pathetic friends. At one point, the boss says he's going to write angry messages about videogames he's never played on the message boards - it's obvious Nintendo frequents the Internet. The sappy enemy sees Peach and nearly has a mental meltdown since he has never encountered a real, live babe before. He can only communicate with her by bringing up his laptop and pretending to engage her RPG style.)
****ing LOL

A not so subtle jab at the GAF/gamefaqs community

DavidDayton said:
I find myself agreeing with Drinky an awful lot in this thread.

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

I was going to until I read his post dealing with "ninthings who like to read the Nintendo text canon" blahdyblah bullshit. I'm sorry that Treehouse is one of the best localization houses, Drinky, that must hurt you!

Muppet345

Drinky Crow said:
according to her review -- i haven't played the game myself, but have watched a fair few videos of it -- the game is largely a pure platformer with only minor rpg elements EXCEPT for the reams of inane dialogue that constantly interrupt the level flow and progression. for example, you meet one of the pixel critters, and the game isn't content to say POWER UP but instead gives you a rambling exchange about the pixel critter's personal history punctuated by several dumb text gags. that's great if you're a ninthing who needs mario universe canon to pen THE authoritative mario-metroid crossover slashfic, but for the rest of us who, upon playing the game, realize it's 90% platformer at heart? not so awesome.
Except the Paper Mario series has some of the most hilarious writing in the industry. I would have been sad if they had gotten rid of it.

I could do without a Paper Mario style story, but I'll survive. As long as the platforming is fun, and I'm pretty sure Intelligent Systems can pull that off.

i don't care how zany and internet dork snarky your text is, i don't want it in my platformer. i can get the same effect as a treehouse localization by hitting "view last posts" on anihawk's name and piping it through a grammar checker.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Bah, that score's nothing. Don't you all remember the GameInformer Paper Mario 2 score of 6/10 because it was "too kiddy"?

CO_Andy

Drinky Crow said:
i ain't defending play: halverson's an embarassment to gaming. but heather provided largely solid reasons for giving super paper mario an 8.5. i have no idea why the reviews of 300 and tmnt are so high, but i think halverson reviewed them, and his scale goes like this:

10: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead on a motorcycle and had platforming elements
9: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead OR it had motorcycle racing OR it had platforming elements
8: "duh hyuck i had fun"
7: "hurrrrrrrrr"
1-6: SEGMENTATION FAULT, CORE DUMPED
:lol

Whoever's making the next Play review thread better * Dave's reviews.

_PsiFire_

I'm kind of excited about SPM having a story.. I've seen videos where you talk to a boss before and after the battle and that kind of thing is cool - especially with the hilarious dialog found in the Paper Mario games.

PleoMax

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Reviews:

TMNT: 8.5

Super Paper Mario: 8.5

Formula One Championship Edition: 9

300: 8.5

2la5wgm.gif

rkenshin

I just saw the 300 review on GameTrailers.. 8.5 is a big stretch given what I saw..

I mean it's not even like Dynasty Warriors where you fight hordes of enemies but in this, only about five at a time max..

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Drinky Crow said:
i ain't defending play: halverson's an embarassment to gaming. but heather provided largely solid reasons for giving super paper mario an 8.5. i have no idea why the reviews of 300 and tmnt are so high, but i think halverson reviewed them, and his scale goes like this:

10: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead on a motorcycle and had platforming elements
9: "duh hyuck i had fun" and the game starred a big-titty female lead OR it had motorcycle racing OR it had platforming elements
8: "duh hyuck i had fun"
7: "hurrrrrrrrr"
1-6: SEGMENTATION FAULT, CORE DUMPED

this would seem like an accurate description of halverson's scoring rubric, but perplexingly, play only gave tomb raider legend a nine. maybe lara's titties aren't big enough.

White Man

drohne said:
this would seem like an accurate description of halverson's scoring rubric, but perplexingly, play only gave tomb raider legend a nine. maybe lara's titties aren't big enough.

One of the things Tomb Raider Legend did was reel in the bust size a bit, so the scale still makes sense.

Vyer

The Play guys are great writers, their magazine is beautiful. They have a real love of the hobby.

That said.

Anyone who puts a lot of stock in their reviews needs to seriously rethink that.

They are all over the map.

can you love the hobby and not be a shill for mascot games and/or anime? i ask because dave halverson's byline often laments that the rest of the videogame media "industry" doesn't love games like he does, which -- metaphorically -- means that they don't give platformers with furries, mascots and/or fanservice a free pass. if he meant it literally, well, let's just pray that his relationship with his copy of bullet witch is strictly platonic.

Jammy

Banned
Play Magazine is known for having a platformer fetish and a soft spot for less mainstream games. That's why I don't put too much into their reviews, even though I'm a big fan of platformers.

I do love the magazine's screenshots and such. No other magazine has as many pictures and artwork.

Fady K

Odd reviews like 300 and TMNT aside, yay for God of War II that game has been eating up the GOTM honor in many places :D Without comparisons to Sonic and Wario:MOD, Super Paper Mario's score is good :) My next Wii game! (and then nothing for quiiiiite a while till fall?)

super funk said:
Every time I've read Play, it has struck me as MASSIVELY biased, but more towards certain stylistic aspects than towards consoles. I really can't stand their editorial direction, and that has nothing to do with this thread.

Top Bottom