• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Play Highlights

Cover: OMG ODIN SPHERE SO PRETTY *SPLOOGE*

Editorial: An offer to the readers an opportunity to also answer a query that a symposium gave to Dave and a few other EiCs.

Embarassing Halversonism Of The Ish: *about Monster Madness* "Carrie's way cool, too...they all are, but you haven't lived until you've seen Jennifer in springy shoes."

Interviews:

George Kamitani of Odin ****ING Sphere (The man lives, breathes, eats, sleeps, dreams 2D goodness).

Crash of the Titans honcho Joe McGinn

Yosuke Hayashi of Ninja Gaiden Sigma. (He does like God of War. DMC? Not so much. :lol )

Dawn of Mana creator Koichi Ishii

Guitar Hero II associate producer Ted Lange

Viva Pinata creative director Gregg Mayles (Poor guy, you could kinda tell they worked their ass off for that vision and landed a tight, idiosynchratic game with VP, and he's saddened that it tanked).

Hellgate London music men Sascha Dikiciyan and Cris Velasco

LIVE PR man JJ Richards on LIVE for Windows

Reviews:

Monster Madness: 9

F.E.A.R (PS3) 8

PoP Rival Swords (Wii) 8.5

Atelier Iris 3: 7.5

Rayman Raving Rabbids (360): 9

Meet the Robinsons: 6.5

Coded Arms Contagion: 7

Huge Japan section this ish.

Gundam Musou: 8.5

iDOLM@STER: 8 (I'm wonderin' why...yo' face no longer shiiiiiines...I'm wonderin' why yo' always on my MIND...""

Trigger Heart Exelica: 6

Karous: 6.5 (DC IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE DC)

Monster World Complete Collection: 9

Professor Layton and the Mysterious Villiage: 8

Infernal: 7

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
uh is the prof layton an import review?
what was that egm rumor again?

Thoren

Banned
Stench said:
After playing the game for a few hours today, I can safely say that score is horseshit.

I can safely say that every review Play gives is horseshit

Its like these guys play the first level or hour of a video game then throw up a score.

Wario64 said:
Remember folks, Play's review scale goes from 7 to 10
Meet the Robinsons: 6.5
Trigger Heart Exelica: 6
Karous: 6.5 (DC IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE DC)

Those games must really suck then!

JB1981

Stench said:
After playing the game for a few hours today, I can safely say that score is horseshit.
I played the 360 version for less than an hour today and I can safely say this game is shit. Wish I never went through the effort to rent it. Garbage total.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I think every editor at Play (myself included) just really, really loves games. We can find something to like in almost any piece of software. With that said, for me a 5 is an average, run-of-the-mill, nothing-really-stands-out-to-recommend-it game. (Unless it's an egregiously bad entry in a beloved series, we often just don't review games that would score that low.) 6 is, obviously, above average. Exelica and Karous, for example, are far from bad. In fact, they're pretty good.

Personally I believe a numerical score is just a supplement to the critique (the text). If you read the reviews, you might find out why we always seem to score so high. In general, we think that a game that gets covered in Play is a game worth playing :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
JB1981 said:
I played the 360 version for less than an hour today and I can safely say this game is shit. Wish I never went through the effort to rent it. Garbage total.

PC version was hot shit when it first came out. I loved the **** out of it. Gun fighting was damn fun in the game, and the freaky shit that occured in the game was just some fun icing. It's not a 10, but it was a solid 8. Never played the console versions (and...why would I? :lol )

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Aokage said:
Personally I believe a numerical score is just a supplement to the critique (the text). If you read the reviews, you might find out why we always seem to score so high. In general, we think that a game that gets covered in Play is a game worth playing :)

This is pretty much why I read the magazine personally. I don't pay much attention to Play's scores, but the text. I get good information on the genre's I like through them, which is almost all the shit they end up covering (more niche based stuff). Plus, it's so damn pretty to look at.

Top Bottom