• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Play Scores 'n Such

AniHawk said:
Well unlike all the shit that went down around Bioshock and Metroid Prime 3 when they had "low" review scores, Zelda has been out for months, and several people have imported it.

And how many have played Sonic Rush Adventure?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AniHawk said:
Probably justified in that Play is largely worthless.

Just about a worthless as every site and magazine out there. However, lets not go there this time around.

Could the OP post some snippets from the reviews?

Kintaro said:
Just about a worthless as every site and magazine out there. However, lets not go there this time around.

Could the OP post some snippets from the reviews?

What do you need specifically? Same as the who reviewed what, I got it here in front of me.

Kintaro

SatelliteOfLove said:
What do you need specifically? Same as the who reviewed what, I got it here in front of me.

Zelda, Sonic, and Soul Nomad for me personally. Surprised Soul Nomad scored like that. Figured it was right up their alley.

WickedLaharl said:
please don't try to stick up for play kintaro

It's true though. Every single site and magazine is worthless depending on the reviews. From day to day, week to week, month to month. Biases changes, moneyhats switchesd, reviewers are mauled. It's all very funny to me.

SantaC

Kintaro said:
It's true though. Every single site and magazine is worthless depending on the reviews. From day to day, week to week, month to month. Biases changes, moneyhats switchesd, reviewers are mauled. It's all very funny to me.

except for play who has always been mauled here.

Kintaro

SantaC said:
except for play who has always been mauled here.

Cuz Play actually seems to enjoy playing games, even if they rate them very high. Something GAF doesn't like to seemingly do. Enjoy playing games that is. :lol

Fredescu

SatelliteOfLove said:
I want to know what they hated about Mercury Meltdown, and if they were specifically reviewing the Wii or PSP versions or if it covered both.

Kintaro said:
Cuz Play actually seems to enjoy playing games, even if they rate them very high. Something GAF doesn't like to seemingly do. Enjoy playing games that is. :lol

Not using the scale properly to keep publishers happy with Play's contribution to Gamerankings doesn't mean they enjoy games more than anybody else.

AniHawk said:
I don't see what that has to do with anything except Play overrating yet another Sonic game.

I don't know, it just seems like some people in this thread are more annoyed by the fact that SRA got a higher score than PH than the PH score itself.

mollipen

SatelliteOfLove said:
Soul Nomad: 6.5 (say it ain't so, Shidoshi! say it ain's so!)

Sorry, can't be of any help here. My games for the month were HOT PXL and Touch Detective 2.5, and Touch got bumped. *SIGH* I haven't even touched Soul yet.

Karma Kramer said:
So basically Bioshock is as good as Sonic.

Except that the person who reviewed Bioshock and the person who reviewed Sonic were different people, thus directly comparing them means nothing BLAH BLAH SAME THING WE DO EVERY TIME IN THESE THREADS.

The_Dude

Fredescu said:
I want to know what they hated about Mercury Meltdown, and if they were specifically reviewing the Wii or PSP versions or if it covered both.
Mercury Meltdown Revolution is the Wii version, PSP was just Mercury Meltdown.

Kintaro

TheGreatDave said:
Not using the scale properly to keep publishers happy with Play's contribution to Gamerankings doesn't mean they enjoy games more than anybody else.

Then man, Nintendo is going to be PISSED. :lol

shidoshi said:
Sorry, can't be of any help here. My games for the month were HOT PXL and Touch Detective 2.5, and Touch got bumped. *SIGH* I haven't even touched Soul yet.

Except that the person who reviewed Bioshock and the person who reviewed Sonic were different people, thus directly comparing them means nothing BLAH BLAH SAME THING WE DO EVERY TIME IN THESE THREADS.

How's Touch 2.5?

mollipen

DevelopmentArrested said:
How's Touch 2.5?

Fixes a number of the problems that people had with the original, puzzles make more sense now and are less "touch everything until something happens," and has a better variety of locations than the original did. I still wish the game was a bit more like the old-school PC adventure games in length and puzzle depth, though.

Sonofabitch... which the fck is it? What is the real name of this game?

62xyqup.jpg
4tum4h4.jpg

mollipen

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Sonofabitch... which the fck is it? What is the real name of this game?

Honestly... I don't think even Atari knows. Sometimes the have the game as "HOT PXL," and then other times it's "HOT PIXEL."

Dante

I before Play bitchin............

Like that's even possible.

Anyways everone focus on those numbers, despite what loks like some solid content this month :/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
shidoshi said:

You do realize that people are half joking, right?

However, its the fact of the matter is that you guys have many reviews that are either far above or far below the norm. You're going to be beat up for that, regardless of whether its right or not. Unless that trend stops than the "abuse" is going to continue happening and nothing you guys say or do will change that.

maybe Zelda really is only an 8/10
it's Nintendo's new marketing strategy, pay for low scores so the fans run out to prove Play wrong ;)

can't go wrng with that Metroid score though, Right where I'd place it after getting 100%

I was thinking about Mercury Meltdown after all around great reviews, but now... :S

MC Safety

ZealousD said:
You do realize that people are half joking, right?

However, its the fact of the matter is that you guys have many reviews that are either far above or far below the norm. You're going to be beat up for that, regardless of whether its right or not. Unless that trend stops than the "abuse" is going to continue happening and nothing you guys say or do will change that.

I consider myself very, very lucky to have been at both ends of the Gaming Age spectrum, receiving love and adoration for my work at Xbox Nation and naked hatred as part of the Play staff.

So. To swipe liberally, thank you, lord, for thinking about me. I'm alive and doing fine.

TreIII

Mefisutoferesu said:
If it's possible could we please have more info on the Tail Concerto interview? Is a new one on the way?

From what I read in the new stand, they basically hint at it, but couldn't explicitly tell anything at it either.

But what I did think was interesting was what the opening post talked about....CC2 definitely is kemono/furry friendly; they explicitly admit that they have a number of them on their very team, and even ended up creating a TC-like character just for the sake of a fire department (who may end up being used again later...?).

So, what I could conclude is that we probably WILL see something akin to Tail Concerto some day, if this interview, as well as the PS3/DS concept art we've seen already are all things to take note of.

Furry, kemono or whatever be damned: I loved Tail Concerto, and I would love nothing more than either a chance to go back to that world, or at least something like it in the future.

@ Shidoshi: I keep confusing you with Casey Loe. I have no idea why. :lol Sorry man.

sphinx said:
this is taking too long, guys....where are the tidbits of the zelda review??

"Everything looks great in motion"

"The music, on the other hand, is overly simple and endlessly repetitive; which is a great disappointment considering the series' musical heritage."

"+ Great Touch-screen controls, smooth animation"

"- Single-player quest is short and a bit unimaginative"

TreIII

Mefisutoferesu said:
Awesome, thanks Tre. The furry thing is kinda weird, but likewise, I don't give a snot if it gets me another TC.

Eh, different strokes, I say. Besides, you also have to take into account that the "Kemono" culture in Japan is actually quite different than what would be considered "Furry" for us in the West. In Kemono culture, there's more of a thing of just trying to create endearing characters that just happen to be furry, rather than designing various avatars to fulfill yiff-tastic RP fantasies. There's plenty of exceptions on both sides of the equation, but that, in a nutshell, is often why "kemono" is held in a different light than "(LOL) furry". Some things go back and forth between the two cultures, but there are a number of things that are just exclusive to one side of the fence, too.

But any way...I'm STILL waiting on that DS project of CC2's (which will probably be a TC project of some sort) to truly reveal itself some time soon. I was actually hoping that CC2 would have something else to show off than just this season's Naruto title from their offices. Yes, I know, that and .Hack are how they get their money...but...sigh...dang Bandai-Namco not letting be able to branch out more...

Top Bottom