• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2007 MLB Thread - The quest for another .500 champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Opening schedule:

od.PNG

The best sport in the world is back! This is where you talk about your idiot manager and the shitty players that are on your team....and see stupid anime pictures because Mets fans belong in an asylum.

For example, both Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad are starting for the White Sox
cide.gif

But rejoice, for baseball is here!

obligatory :lol Pavano is the opening day starter :lol

Triumph

Banned
You didn't like my "Return to Glory" idea for a thread title? For shame.

I think I'm catching the final exhibition game tomorrow- Braves vs. your Chi Sox, Em.

Kuroyume

Banned
WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capt.7633fa4975de4b33b1306541853e719a.astros_mets_spring_baseball_fljj108.jpg

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cardinals (Asstros please prove me wrong)
NL West: Dodgers
Wildcard: Braves

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Angels
Wildcard: Red Sox

fullj.getty-73438485db003_detroit_tiger_5_08_22_pm.jpg

$

You people aren't ready.

Are you really going to defeat the lighter, more powerful KID WONDERFUL?
Prediction: 46 HR, 130 RBI, .300+ avg, .400+ OBP, AL MVP, AL GG @ 3B.

Are you really going to defeat the best SS in the AL?
Prediction: 19 HR, 96 RBI, .300+ avg, .370+ OBP, AL GG @ SS.

Are you really going to defeat the best 2B in the AL?
Prediction: 23 HR, 92 RBI, .320+ avg, .370+ OBP, AL GG @ 2B.

Can you honestly survive a consistently healthy GIAMBEAST?
Prediction: 40 HR, 120 RBI, .280+ avg, .420+ OBP, top 10 MVP candidate.

Will you be able to withstand the balanced outfield of Matsui, Damon and Abreu - and with Melky holding it down regularly?
Matsui: 23 HR, 110 RBI, .300+ avg, .370+ OBP
Damon: 18 HR, 90 RBI, .300+ avg, .360+ OBP
Abreu: 27 HR, 100 RBI, .280+ avg, .400+ OBP
Melky: 12 HR, 40+ RBI, .280+ avg, 400 ABs, AL leader in OF assists from LF

Are you actually going to fsck with secret weapon Posada?
Prediction: 24 HR, 80 RBI, .270+ avg, .370+ OBP, AL GG @ C

Even our 1B will destroy non-believers out of nowhere!
Josh Phelps prediction: 16 HR, 70 RBI, .260+ avg
Doug Qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm prediction: 7HR, 40 RBI, .350+ OBP, GG-caliber D @ 1B

Our rotation is concrete; Moose and Wang'll go for 18 wins, Andy'll go for 17, Pavano'll get 15, and Igawa will get 14 (and more than Matsuzaka, at that :-O)
Our bullpen is filled with people who hate you and want you to die; Proctor/Bruney for 7th, Farnsworth for the 8th, and Mariano with unhittable changeup for 9th.

Yanks repeat as AL East Champs, going away.
Yanks win their 27th championship.
God smiles.

jjasper

I want to go to the Civil Rights game they have here on Saturday but it is ****ing $50 a ticket for an exhibition game. boooooo

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
captmcblack said:

LAWL

Yankees finish 3rd in the AL East, A-Rod is killed by a rioting mob, captmcblack becomes a Mets fan and moves in with Frankman. You heard it here first!

Also WHOOOOOOOO MLB thread!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Prediction:

Lots of anime. Lots and lots of anime. Creative use of wrestling gifs. Two or three avatar bets.

NME

Dr. Strangelove said:
LAWL

Yankees finish 3rd in the AL East, A-Rod is killed by a rioting mob, captmcblack becomes a Mets fan and moves in with Frankman. You heard it here first!

Also WHOOOOOOOO MLB thread!

There's no chance the Blue Jays AND the Orioles finish ahead of the Yankees. The Orioles stink.

But, I have good tickets to the home opener against Detroit, so they will be tolerated for an afternoon.

Dr. Strangelove

NME said:
There's no chance the Blue Jays AND the Orioles finish ahead of the Yankees. The Orioles stink.

Yes, but there is a great chance that the Jays and Rays will finish ahead of the Yankees.

Meier

Dodgers are winning it all this year my friends! You heard it here first! Raffy and Juan = speed kills, woo! Time for another exclamation mark!

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Meier said:
Dodgers are winning it all this year my friends! You heard it here first! Raffy and Juan = speed kills, woo! Time for another exclamation mark!

Had you said because of your rotation, your post would have made sense. But alas. Juan Pierre sucks shit.

Also, PM your favorite mod to get this stickied. I PMed Bish right when I made it, but no luck so far.

Dr. Strangelove said:
A-Rod is killed by a rioting mob

Nope. How quickly you forget that the revolution has started.

Karakand

Eminem said:
For example, both Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad are starting for the White Sox
cide.gif

You will come to love Erstad's grit.

Or you'll kill yourself.

There's no real middle ground here I'm afraid.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
IT BEGINS.

I'm talking about the Joel Pineiro era, of course.

Y2Kev

Eminem said:
Had you said because of your rotation, your post would have made sense. But alas. Juan Pierre sucks shit.

You should be a columnist. Have you considered being a columnist? You should. <3

And lol at the shortstop photo. What is that, 10 years old? I don't even recognize most of them.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Y2Kevbug11 said:
You should be a columnist. Have you considered being a columnist? You should. <3

That's what I'm going to school for :lol

If I could write the way I wanted, my headlines would be great:

"Why Scott Podsednik should be launched into the sun"
"Juan Uribe should be in jail so he's not the starting shortstop"
"Barry Bonds is a ****ing douchebag"

Dr. Strangelove

Eminem said:
That's what I'm going to school for :lol

If I could write the way I wanted, my headlines would be great:

"Why Scott Podsednik should be launched into the sun"
"Juan Uribe should be in jail so he's not the starting shortstop"
"Barry Bonds is a ****ing douchebag"

I would love to subscribe to your fine publication.

Joe

AL Central: Tigers
AL Wildcard: Blue Jays

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cardinals
NL Wildcard: Brewers

Joe

oh and pavano's supermodel girlfriend dumped him yesterday :lol

yes, the same girl he crashed his porsche with, yes the same girl he left a spring training start for to attend to her for "medical reasons".

front033007.jpg

jman2050

BASEBALL'S BACK ALL RIGHT!!!

My team-by-team analysis:

New York Yankees: Carl Pavano will have a Cy Young caliber year, A-Rod will win the MVP, Jeter leads the team to victory, Damon continues being better than he ever was in Boston, Abreu will continue his tenure as a True Yankee, and Wang and Mussina will combine as the best 1-2 punch in the AL. The team will win 110 games, beating Boston 15 times, and will sweep their way to the World Series.

Boston Red Sox: Schilling is old and busted, Matsuzaka will fizzle playing real baseball, Papelbon will flame out like most closers do, Manny will be Manny, Ortiz will be released at the end of the year to make way for Chipper Jones (actually happened in 07 The Show, so it must be true), and really, does anyone expect J.D. Drew to play more than 80 games this season?

New York Mets: A starting rotation containing Oliver Freaking Perez has no chance to win the East. They'll still finish better than the Atlolta Braves, speaking of which...

Atlanta Braves: Still the same crappy team they were last time with only a slightly less crappier bullpen. Smoltzies age will catch up to him and Chuck James will bomb. Andruw will have a career year, but that'll be offset by Chipper being hurt 98% of the season and Jeff Francouer striking out not only for himself, but for the 8 other hitters as well. 4th place finish at best.

Baltimore Orioles: They have potential, and Eric Bedard is nasty, so I wouldn't count them out yet. Unfortunately, they'll finish 4th at best the way things are now.

Toronto Blue Jays: Probably the biggest threat in the AL East. Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, Halladay, Burnett, and BJ Ryan make up a pretty good team. Of course, if Halladay and Burnett go down again, then tere won't even be a discussion.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: "They'll be owning the AL East in a few years, mark my words." - jman2050 circa 2001.

Detroit Tigers: Rogers is gone, which is bad. Verlander will be good, but not as good as last year. Sheffield helps their offense a lot, but it wasn't that great to begin with, so meh. 2nd or 3rd place probably.

Minnesota Twins: Carlos Silva in a major league rotation? instead of Matt Garza? Guess management really wants to tank the season. They should be careful though, their time with Santana is growing short. 2nd or 3rd place.

Cleveland Indians: My sleeper pick for this year. For once they WON'T disappoint people. I like Hafner, I like Sabathia, and they'll finally get it together this year. 1st place finish.

Chicago White Sox: I haven't followed them much this offseason, except that Darin Erstad is in their starting roster. Sorry, 4th place definite.

Kansas City Royals: Gil Meche. 55 million dollars. Nuff said.

Anaheim Angels: In all seriousness, my pick to win the World Series. I love their pitching staff, K-Rod is about as money as you can get, and unlike some other people, I think the Gary Matthews signing is a huge help to their offense. Will win the West easily.

Oakland Athletics: I like this team too, and I have no doubt Piazza as a DH will help greatly. They won't beat the Angels, but they'll give them a run for their money. 2nd place.

Seattle Mariners: Haven't followed this team at all, but looking at their roster I can't help ut raise an eyebrow. Chris Reitsma? Seriously? Last place.

Texas Rangers: Gagne's on the DL again. Thank god I didn't pick him up in my fantasy leagues. Besides that though, i think the team is solid, but having Kevin Millwood as your ace doesn't inspire much confidence in me. On the other hand, McCarthy should be money. I like him a lot. 3rd place.

Philadelphia Phillies: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, serviceable pitching. What's not to like. They came awfully close last year despite their fire sale, and with the Mets starting Oliver Freaking Perez and the Braves out of the way, they'll take the NL East.

Florida Marlins: I love Hanley Ramirez. Really, I do. Makes the Josh Beckett trade seem awfully stupid now, especially is Beckett has a year like last's. Long-term plan lol. on the other hand, the Marlins still have problems, and Jorge Julio closing is about par for the course on this team, but they'll still finish better than the Braves.

Washington Nationals: Crappy team minus Alfonso Soriano equals crappier team.

St Louis Cardinals: They'll still win the division, but if they repeat as champions I'm calling for an all-out ban on the NL playoffs.

Chicago Cubs: Good enough to make the wild card. Maybe even win the division, but I'm not sure about that. Nevertheless, they're the Chicago Cubs. They could face the Nationals in the LDS and lose 3-1.

Houston Astros: Lidge is only getting worse, Craig Biggio is 80 years old, and aside from Roy Oswalt, who else do they have. Nevertheless, they'll be good enough for 2nd place at most.

Cincinnati Reds: I honestly don't know a single thing about this team, so I'll leave them alone.

pirates.png

Pittsburgh Pirates: I don't know anything about this team either, but this image is so hilarious I had to include it.

Milwaukee Brewers: You know, it took me 5 whole minutes to remember who the sixth team in the Central is. And who could blame me? Does anyone ever consistently remember that these guys exist?

Los Angeles Dodgers: Should win the west easily, though with their track record you never really know. Jason Schmidt should have a big year though.

San Francisco Giants: Barry Zito will have a huge year. Besides that though I can't say much good about this team.

San Diego Padres: Honestly, who gives a ****?

Arizona Diamondbacks: I like this team a lot, and think they have potential. I'm not sure they'll enjoy Randy and his 5+ ERA though.

In conclusion: Boston may win again, Yankees might falter, Cardinals could repeat, and the Brewers might actually exist. But who cares? IT'S BASEBALL, THE SPORT OF AMERICA (football is gay).

Zep

Banned
Time for my predictions

AL East: Blue Jays
AL Central: Royals
AL West: Giants
AL Wildcard: Tribe

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Reds
NL West: D'bcks
NL Wildcard: Cubs

jman2050 said:
New York Mets: A starting rotation containing Oliver Freaking Perez has no chance to win the East. They'll still finish better than the Atlolta Braves, speaking of which...

They won 97 games and won the division by 12 games last year, and their rotation wasn't too hot looking last year either. I'm more skeptical of Glavine, Maine, and Hernandez being able to repeat their successes than I am concerned about Oliver Perez. He's only getting a chance because of his potential upside. If he pitches well, great. If he pitches poorly, he'll be replaced by a slightly below-average guy who can still give the team a chance to win games--- like Steve Trachsel. 15 wins in 30 starts with a 4.97 ERA last year. It helps having a great offense and a good bullpen.

Triumph

Banned
Someone needs to pm Wellington, he'll sticky it.

Predictions!

NL East: Braves
NL Central: Cubs!
NL West: D-backs!
NL Wildcard: Phillies!

(Mets finish 4th at best)

AL East: Red Sox (every year I pick someone other than the Yankees to win the East, because I hate the Yankees)
AL Central: ...Indians? This has to be the toughest division in all of baseball.
AL Wildcard: A's

NLDS: Braves over D-backs, Phillies over Cubs
ALDS: Red Sox over A's, Indians over A's

NLCS: Braves over Phillies
ALCS: Indians over Red Sox

World Series: In a rematch from '95, the Braves will win another one. Book it!

NL MVP: Andruw Jones
AL MVP: Grady Sizemore

NL CY: John Smoltz
AL CY: Johan "Cy" Santana

Most likely to be buggered by a dodgy anime freak: Jose Reyes

"Toronto Blue Jays: Probably the biggest threat in the AL East. Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, Halladay, Burnett, and BJ Ryan make up a pretty good team. Of course, if Halladay and Burnett go down again, then tere won't even be a discussion."

You forgot Frank Thomas and Troy Glaus :p

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
jman2050 said:
Houston Astros: Lidge is only getting worse, Craig Biggio is 80 years old, and aside from Roy Oswalt, who else do they have. Nevertheless, they'll be good enough for 2nd place at most.

Just the fact you didnt mention Fat Elvis proves to me you dont know anything about the Stros.

berkmanodd.jpg

Y2Kev

BUT DON'T YOU KNOW DARIN ERSTAD PLAYED FOOTBALL IN COLLEGE

HE WAS THE PUNTER

IN COLLEGE

He's like one of the worst players by most metrics. Him and David Eckstein :lol

Dr. Strangelove

Y2Kevbug11 said:
BUT DON'T YOU KNOW DARIN ERSTAD PLAYED FOOTBALL IN COLLEGE

HE WAS THE PUNTER

IN COLLEGE

He's like one of the worst players by most metrics. Him and David Eckstein :lol

My God what gritty and gutty players those men are. Any team in baseball would be glad to have them on their roster.

Y2Kev

Their BFGI (Belly Full of Guts Index) is off the charts.

Don't start talking about the WARP2, VORP, OPS+ shit. I am gonna stick to the good old stats: AVG, stolen bases, grit, chemistry, and Ks. Don't you ever let me see you K:

FireJoeMorgan said:
The War Against The War Against Strikeouts

The front page of ESPN.com, at least right now, poses a terrible question: "So, how did Ryan Howard go from 151 Ks in 2003 to 58 HRs in 2006?"

The answer? By striking out even more. Howard struck out 181 times last year. And was awesome.

Strikeouts are not bad. One hundred and fifty one strikeouts are not bad. That same year (2003, in the minors), Howard also put up an OBP of 374 and slugged 514. He wasn't exactly crapping his pants at the plate.

Honestly total ownage. It's like sports writers aren't even paying attention anymore. They just write whatever. Especially that one that writes all poetically, like people read sports columns for human interest stories about Ugueth Urbina's moral convictions. CONVICTIONS GET IT

My predictions:

Wildcard: Boston. I'll preface this by saying I'm very, very afraid of Matsuzaka, if only because he is the unknown. He could flame out or be great. Statistically this spring he has been the same as Kei "Itagaki" Igawa, but I think this is a complete ruse for numerous reasons. Obviously spring doesn't really count for much, the quality of the hitters is different and the sample size is small, and I refuse to believe American hitters could neutralize so much of what made Matsuzaka great in Japan and ignore what made Igawa the Japanese version of Jaret Wright.

AL Central: This one is tough. I think the Twins will struggle early as always, but I could see them picking it up once management puts the rotation together.

Santana will struggle early like last year and sports writers will begin to talk of his demise, and then when the sample size grows and the stats even out, they will talk about him getting his confidence back.

The Indians fall apart again. I am not crazy about their pitching. Travis Hafner is a ****ing god and I want him on the Yankees at the first available opportunity. :lol I don't know much about the White Sox this year other than the Erstad thing. Oh and Ozzie's little tidbits to the media.

AL West: The A's...will they be better or worse without Zito? I'm tempted to say worse, of course, but they always seem to have someone to step up and take the place of whoever they traded away. I mean, who thought they'd be better without Mark Mulder (if they were to have him in 2006)?

I like the Angels but I hate K-Rod and the fact the Yankees are unbelievably bad against them, so I will not root for them. I also hate how they bend over for the Sox.

I don't know if the Rangers are going to do anything, but I'll give a shout out to THREEEEBALLLLLLLL

Mariners -- Bavasi :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

....bavasi:lol :lol :lol

NL East-- I see the mets taking it, even with their shit rotation. I just do. I don't know why, and I don't want them to, but I could potential see a scenario where Carlos Beltran offers sexual favors to all the umpires and/or Jeff Francouer to get him to walk even less. I hope the Braves do well. I honestly don't have the attention span to follow the NL East, it always seems like there is an early race and then things falls apart.

I do like the Phillies.

NL Central-- I hate this division. It always seems to be, "Who can get out of their own way first?" And Tony LOLRusa got arrested. Astros have an okay shot though, but now that DANDY ANDY is back where he belongs, I see no hope for you.

Hopefully Roger goes to Houston if he is planning on going to Boston for his ninth farewell tour, the bastard.

NL West-- I know there are a lot of dodger fans on here, but other than them, who gives a shit? The Padres could fall off the face of the earth and no one would notice. The Diamondbacks could win here. I want to see Randy Johnson do well...just for the comedic value.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
AL East: Red Sawx
AL Central: Twins (once Silva and Ponson get the hook, it'll be smooth sailing)
Wild Card: Yankees

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cardinals
Wild Card: Diamondbacks

Or something. First month of this season is going to be terrible for the Twins. Get Santana locked up so our next few rotations aren't this scary please.

Sumidor

siamesedreamer said:
Sitting here watching the game and I had a thought:

Dye for Tucker = WORST TRADE EVAR

Wrong.. Worst trade ever is the raping the Braves did to the Mariners.. Take care of Soriano.. we'll miss him :(

NewLib

Banned
Has anyone seen the Washington Nationals rotation?

Seriously, what the hell. Is there anyway they are not the worst team in the league this year? I mean I know KC will be bad, but when I go "Man Rauch should be out of that bullpen and be #2 in that rotation" its a scary thought.

Also Mike Pelfrey, Dont let me down.

bluemax

Banned
Jman - Gagne's DL trip is a pseudo stint. He's not actually hurt he's just not finished with rehab. It's pretty shady but whatever.

And Kev I hate you and your analysis. King Felix is not pleased.

Sumidor said:
Wrong.. Worst trade ever is the raping the Braves did to the Mariners.. Take care of Soriano.. we'll miss him :(

The Mariners are behind several of the worst trades ever :(

At least Langston for RJ worked out for the most part.

Anywho my analysis:

AL EAST
Yankees - Rotation sucks, Wang will be worse, Cano will also probably be worse. Offense should score close to 1000 runs unless Payfraud goes on the DL with PMS.
Red Sox - Improved but some question marks. How will the Joel Pineiro experiment go? How will Dice K do under the pressure of the North East's most racist city?
Toronto - I don't know this team in depth but they have more talent than the remaining teams in the division. Halladay am awesome.
Tampa Bay - The lineup is a little light on power and the rotation still needs some work.
Baltimore - Do they still have that Eckstein wannabe? I think I could take him in a fight.

AL CENTRAL
Cleveland Indians - Young and questions all over the place, but I just can't justify anyone else.
Minnesota Twins - Would be shoo ins if Liriano was healthy
Detroit Tigers - Lineup is not super impressive, back end of rotation is meh.
Chicago Whitesox - Erstad, Podzilla, Ozzie Guillen, enough said.
Kansas City Royals - Poor PECOTA, enjoy Gil suckers!

AL WEST
Oakland A's - That's right I'm going there. Injuries are a concern but they have more depth than Anaheim.
Anaheim Angels - Weak offense that gets weaker with every injury. Bartolo Colon will probably get hurt at the buffet table and K-Rod's arm is due to fall off.
Seattle Mariners - HoRam and Batista blow, but not as much as Pineiro and Meche. King K is in shape so watch out league.
Texas Rangers - Over paying for Mike Young and still paying for Payfraud, good job. Yes I know Buck left and that means they should win it all but with what pitching?

I'll do the NL later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom