• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2007 MLB Thread - The quest for another .500 champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headline on Deadspin right now is:

He Didn't Touch The Plate, But Hey: Thus, It Goes

:lol

And I didn't think of this:

"He knew the runner didn't touch the plate -- kind of amazing play by Michael Barrett -- but by the time he realized his call was going to matter, he backed off it. We'd call it "gutless," but it's really hard to be a Major League Baseball umpire; it requires more guts than we, as a human being, have."

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hoffman should be thanking his lucky stars that there was an interesting call that ended this game, and that the attention is off him, because he would be eaten alive by the press. In fact, he still might.

scottnak

Karakand said:
Gordo is a Gurren Lagann character. :lol

2epu8ll.jpg
:lol :lol

Good stuff. Actually (roughly...) translated the comic that had that first pic with shields in it for HH a while back.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
woodchuck said:
Sorry to upset you guys, but the AL and NL playoffs (not including the WS) are going to suck.

Since the regular season was so amazing with all the different storylines like tonight's game, or the Mets' collapse, this only means the playoffs will be a letdown.

That's pretty much how it works in any sport.

But you guys can expect the World Series to be amazing since the other rounds will suck.

This is such a terrible post.

By your logic every single NFL postseason, except for the Superbowl, will suck because of how close each race is during the year.

But you heard him, every round will end in a sweep, with each game being 10-0 because baseball cannot continue to be exciting, no fucking way. What a boring sport.

Pakman

Just got back from the Rockies game. Tonight's game was easily the best game I've ever seen. Celebrating with the 50,000+ estatic Rockies fans is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

If you guys watch sportscenter, they show the Atkins no-call homerun. The shots they show, shows the ball dissapearing behind the yellow fence and then bouncing back - presumably bouncing off the wheelchair behind the fence and back in. I'm under the impression that if it goes behind the yellow line, it's a home run. :p

As for Holliday's slide, I know I'm a Rockies homer but the fact remains that the Rox lit up Hoffman (and Peavy) tonight. Fact remains that Barrett bobbled and lost the ball in the slide and the tag was never actually applied. Every media outlet I've looked at has said the video was 'inconclusive'. So if you argue that he was not safe, I can't see how you can argue he was 100% out either. Even Bud Black said that it looked like, "he (Holliday) did get it." Yes this call went our way, but if your pointing your fingers at the Umpire - you're pointing it at the wrong person. The fact remains that Hoffman had a 2 run lead and blew it.

And thank god I already purchased playoff tickets when they first went on sale. They've tripled in price after the win.

Sumidor

Go Phillies!!!!! I'd love to see Jaime Moyer win a World Series ring.. Normally I'm a Mariners' fan.. but yeah.. whatever.. so.. GO PHILLIES!!!!!!

ToxicAdam

Pakman said:
If you guys watch sportscenter, they show the Atkins no-call homerun. The shots they show, shows the ball dissapearing behind the yellow fence and then bouncing back - presumably bouncing off the wheelchair behind the fence and back in. I'm under the impression that if it goes behind the yellow line, it's a home run. :p

During the TBS broadcast they showed it 10 times and it LOOKS like it caught the underside of the yellow railing. Even in super slo-mo it wasn't very conclusive .. so just imagine how it would look in normal life.

woodchuck

Eminem said:
This is such a terrible post.

By your logic every single NFL postseason, except for the Superbowl, will suck because of how close each race is during the year.

But you heard him, every round will end in a sweep, with each game being 10-0 because baseball cannot continue to be exciting, no fucking way. What a boring sport.

I still have to rework some of the theory. It's possible that the regular season has no effect on how good the playoffs are.

But I definitely have noticed in like every sport, the championship game pretty much always sucks if the other playoff rounds are amazing.

So either the AL and NL playoffs will be awesome, and the WS suck. Or the AL and NL playoffs will suck with the WS being awesome.

and uh, I never called baseball a boring sport in this thread. Relax. I'm not trying to insult baseball or anything.

God bless you MLB 2007 season thread. You are easily the best thread this forum has, even if Fifty won't post deformed baseball players in it anymore <3

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
As a tribute to the final moments of this great MLB thread, I think lyrics courtesy of Ween's "Stay Forever" are appropriate.

In the morning sun, I couldn't tell you
I couldn't tell you so many things
About how much I really love you
About how much you really mean

So far away but it's so easy to see you
When I'm away I want to put my arms around you
And I want to know - do you feel the same way?
'Cause if you do I want to stay forever
With you

So many colors that surround you
Some so bright I can hardly see
A light reflects on all the things that make you real
Things that make you truly free

So far away but it's so easy to see you
When I'm away I want to put my arms around you
With you

Y2Kev said:
link, cajole
It's linked in this Deadspin post.

Also, if you just click on my name, it's my homepage.

I didn't even think the post out much. I wrote it right after the game ended in about 10 minutes and then passed out. I was shocked when I saw it linked on Deadspin this morning.

Culex

Banned
Damn, you guys check out the odds and projections of the Yanks/Indians series? Only 3 out of ESPN's ten analysts think the Yanks will win the series.

Culex said:
Damn, you guys check out the odds and projections of the Yanks/Indians series? Only 3 out of ESPN's ten analysts think the Yanks will win the series.
Vast majority of the time, people see two stud pitchers (Sabathia, Carmona) do the math and think Indians win. I think the Indians have a good chance but I don't put as much weight on that as most would, despite the conventional wisdom, I think quality hitting is just as important as good pitching in the playoffs.

carpal

I know I haven't been a participant in this thread, but whatever. Been waiting for the Phillies to get into the playoffs for 14 years and now I'll be at the Phillies/Rockies game tomorrow! Anybody else going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom