• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2007 MLB Thread - The quest for another .500 champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Uh oh.

Instant replay coming to baseball confirmed.

This is a replay of the Jerry Rice non fumble in the 1998 Packers/Niners playoff game that cost Green Bay the win.

calder

NomarTyme said:
Did he get the plate????!!!!!!!! CONTROVERSY!!!!!!!!!
No controversy, he didn't come CLOSE to touching the plate. :lol Thank god there wasn't 2 outs and Hoffman was pitching like he was wearing a Rockies tshirt under his jersey. ;)

If he held on to the ball, the ump would've called him out, I think. Or something. Too bad such a great game is going to boil down to this blown call.

LJ11

The Ump took his time with the call. When I first saw the play, and the Ump hesitated, I thought Holiday missed the plate and he was waiting for him to touch it up. As soon as Barrett got the ball, the Ump made the call.

Core407

Banned
LJ11 said:
The Ump took his time with the call. When I first saw the play, and the Ump hesitated, I thought Holiday missed the plate and he was waiting for him to touch it up. As soon as Barrett got the ball, the Ump made the call.

But did you watch the replay? He didn't even touch the plate.

methodman

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
If he held on to the ball, the ump would've called him out, I think.
Yeah he was def out.

You guys know that the Colorado Rockies just won 14 of 15? So did the Warriors last year. Props!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The ump made the call predicated on Barrett not having the ball instead of Holliday touching the plate.

Which is a horrible way to do things and you'd think McClellan knows better.

Yep, the way the ump hesitated makes the whole thing fishy. I mean if he comes right out saying safe you can just say he missed a pretty tough play, but waiting was like he was not going to make that call in front of the home crowd.

AZ Greg

As a Diamondback fan, and someone who has watched the Rockies play countless times over the last 7 or so years, all I can say is congratulations Colorado! They've been a classy team all around. It is also nice that a great player, who never really complains about his situation, like Todd Helton gets to play in the postseason.

Core407 said:
Watch the replay. He missed it.

Umpire probably felt bad for the Rockies.

I think the ump was waiting to see if the ball was loose or not. From his angle he didn't see that Holliday didn't touch the plate. Hence the delay.

Meier

If only it were the Giants who'd choked it away.. still, love to see a Pads collapse considering how much they dominated us this year. I'm amazed at the turnaround by the Rockies.. just plain incredible.

Link

The Autumn Wind
perfectchaos007 said:
Rockies paid the umpires confirmed? The delay in calling safe? Hmmmm...I smell controversy. Sucks that it takes away from this Holliday
I think the delay was because he waited to see if Barrett held onto the ball, then call Holliday safe when the ball came loose. He still blew the call, but that's how I saw it.

Y2Kev

Replay needs to be in baseball. Unquestionably. But whatever.

That was a great game excepting the end bullshit.

LJ11

Core407 said:
But did you watch the replay? He didn't even touch the plate.

I know. What I'm saying is that the Ump didn't make the call until after Barrett got the ball. Why did he hesitate?

methodman

Banned
Meier said:
If only it were the Giants who'd choked it away.. still, love to see a Pads collapse considering how much they dominated us this year. I'm amazed at the turnaround by the Rockies.. just plain incredible.

Fuck that noise! We haven't won shit for 75+ years.

Y2Kev

LJ11 said:
I know. What I'm saying is that the Ump didn't make the call until after Barrett got the ball. Why did he hesitate?

Because he didn't know what to call, obviously. He saw the one piece of evidence that makes it usually obvious (catcher doesn't have the ball).

If the umps can't conference for this, then it's just bullshit. I'm tired of this garbage in baseball.

Karakand said:
Who cares if the call was blown? Does anyone think Hoffman wasn't going to lose that game?

Absolutely he was going to blow it. But you can't just do that...the games are played for a reason.

Ryck

Karakand said:
Who cares if the call was blown? Does anyone think Hoffman wasn't going to lose that game?
Your right, as much as it pains me to admit it, Trevor was doomed the minute he took the mound....

Chiggs

Gold Member
Actually, Holliday's hand looks like it may have gone under the guy's shoe. Also, the catcher was blocking the plate, which, is a no-no, right? And did he even make another tag? Looks like he didn't.

Link

The Autumn Wind
NomarTyme said:
Well it would have been 2 outs and man on first! I think he can do it.
It would have been man on second. Carroll would have taken second on the throw.

pollo

Banned
well all I can say is..at least fantasy baseball season is over and Trevor doesnt hurt me in the ERA and WHIP department :lol

Y2Kev

Chiggs said:
Actually, Holliday's hand looks like it may have gone under the guy's shoe. Also, the catcher was blocking the plate, which, is a no-no, right? And did he even make another tag? Looks like he didn't.

No, of course not. That's the game. You either knock the ball out of the catcher's hand or get fucked up.

I don't think he was even close. If he was, his hand might have been broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom