• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Crash Bandicoot site is down, all references removed from activision website

wrowa

Holy shit. That's more than any main Sonic game. Crash is much bigger than people give it credit for.

No, Crash was much bigger than we give it credit for. The series was super popular 15 years ago, but it's only been a shadow of its former self ever since. Children don't even know anymore who Crash is supposed to be and his remaining popularity is limited to the nostalgic 20-somethings.

That doesn't mean that a great Crash game couldn't become popular again, but its former glory is just that: a thing of the past. It would be really cool if Sony went back to the IP, but looking at the current market, I can't imagine them giving it the treatment it would deserve. Mascot plattformers just aren't popular these days.

Well, if they aren't called Mario something-something or to a much lesser degree Sonic-whatever.

wrowa

Adam could just be throwing us off the scent.

Between the commercial easter egg, and the removal from Activision's site, I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think that's completely unlikely either. If they've bought the IP, it wouldn't be all that farfetched to assume that they want to preserve the surprise.

Or maybe Sony didn't buy Crash after all.

Microsoft did.

how is this surprising? people still care about Sonic. CrAsh was Sony's best mascot, and the games were really really good..then he was sold.
Crash never belonged to Sony in the first place.

As much as I want to keep hype in check, when it comes to Crash I just can't. Went through the first three games again leading up to the PS4 launch. Still a lot of fun.

RaikuHebi

Banned
He didn't belong to them, but it was rather unfortunate that it turned out that way. Naughty Dog came up with the IP, got a little help from Universal and Universal somehow took ownership of the whole thing.

How different history could've been. Mind you even in Universal's hands the initial plan was to remain exclusive on PS2 (Cerny was lead). But there was a disagreement and the rest is a depressing history.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I don't think that's completely unlikely either. If they've bought the IP, it wouldn't be all that farfetched to assume that they want to preserve the surprise.

Or maybe Sony didn't buy Crash after all.

Microsoft did.

I never said they OWNED CRASH, I said he was SOLD. you're assuming I meant he sold from Sony to Activision.

Though a Sony-developed or PS-exclusive Crash Bandicoot does not have to mean that Sony buys the franchise. Activision could still keep the franchise and just allow (for a monetary compensation of course ;)) this one game to be made by Sony / to be PS4-exclusive. If it did happen and Microsoft made a new Banjo platformer happen, too, this would end up being my first generation where I'd need to buy all consoles ;(.

Sony never does that though, so it'd be completely out of character. If they fund a game, they want to own it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I never said they OWNED CRASH, I said he was SOLD. you're assuming I meant he sold from Sony to Activision.
He wasn't sold. He was never a Sony property the way Jak and Daxter are. Blame Universal.

Sony never does that though, so it'd be completely out of character. If they fund a game, they want to own it.
The Sony exclusive Crashes, Spyros and Final Fantasies were exactly that.

Gartooth

I'd honestly be happy with remakes of 1-3 + CTR on PS4 with improved graphics, sound effects, controls, and "balancing" the levels, especially in Crash 1.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'd honestly be happy with remakes of 1-3 + CTR on PS4 with improved graphics, sound effects, controls, and "balancing" the levels, especially in Crash 1.
I don't think they have the rights to do that unfortunately, otherwise we would've 100% seen it it last gen.

Skyzard

Banned
If this is all nothing, that Sony trailer with the signs is cruel.

Can't have been nothing, it was so clear. Crash arrow Sony. What the hell.

SHN2f2T.gif

I have no idea how I beat these games as a kid

Jay Sosa

Sly 4 was awesome. Tearaway seems to be amazing as well.

That's why I wrote pure 3D platformers. Sly is somewhat of a genre mix (like Ratchet&Clank) and I haven't seen enough of Tearaway yet. Looks great so far though.

Swing by NFL Gaf next and post "who cares about football", then go to the German thread and post "who cares, I don't speak German"!

Even though you obviously have a point even people not invested in gaming anymore still recognize Crash (if they were into it during that time). The PS1 was one of the most successful consoles ever and Crash was for Sony what Mario was (and still is) for Nintendo. Still beyond me* how Sony was able to fuck that up so badly.

* (well not really).

mclem

Or maybe Nintendo did.

They don't need him. Heck, I'm not really convinced Sony do, either - character platformers aren't exactly *plentiful*, but they exist. It's only Microsoft which is *really* lacking in mascot platformers - I can't think of *any* since Blinx.

IF Naughty Dog is developing then it could be amazing. As long as it's more like Jak 1, with big lush green forests and interconnected areas. Man that game was great. We need an ambitious platformer again.

mclem

IF Naughty Dog is developing then it could be amazing. As long as it's more like Jak 1, with big lush green forests and interconnected areas. Man that game was great. We need an ambitious platformer again.

As I said in another thread: I'm expecting a Retro-on-Donkey-Kong-style meltdown from some quarters over that news :)

Tenki

didn't Activision just buy themselves back from Vivendi like a month or two ago? maybe thats why it was removed from Activision's site.

I'm thinking of that as well.

If you search "Spyro" only the first Skylanders game (which is an Activision game) appears, no one of the Sierra games appear:

http://www.activision.com/search?cc=US;i=1;q=spyro

6ICSjyY.png

Crash: Mind over Mutant was the last Crash game, and was a Sierra game, so that's why it isn't listed. It seems that no Sierra games are there, only the Activision ones. Not even Starcraft or Warcraft are there:

uMLSeKx.png

aK8rWwf.png

Oh, and the Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon website is also down. Like Crash, it was a Sierra game published in 2008. The error it's giving is the same.
http://lair.spyrothedragon.com/

knicks

Crash is great for PS1, PSP, GB, DS.

Do people actually think it could successfully evolve into a next gen game? I think it would suck.

Top Bottom