• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Crash Bandicoot site is down, all references removed from activision website

Gartooth

Boyes aside, everything does seem to point in favor of Activision selling Crash. I don't know whether Boyes said what he did to deflect suspicion of it happening while the deal is still going through, or if he just doesn't know...

The Sony exclusive Crashes, Spyros and Final Fantasies were exactly that.

Final Fantasy was nothing like that. Sony were never involved with development or funding on those games.

And I'm talking about the Sony of the last 10 years, not deals that were made 15 years ago.

Its happening, probably.

David, editor at Videogamer.com, just tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/403916781099970560

As much as I'd love to, I'm still not getting my hopes up. Not after that Activision rep earlier in the year who seemed to be under the impression that Activision had never owned it.

SilentFlyer

Activision Support on the matter as to why Crash traced is gone.
sCSqT8x.jpg

Why, it simply won't sell.
Platforms of Sony/MS console are pretty dead :(
Knack was poor reviewed, and it will bomb hard. Puppeteer also bombed hard.
Ratchet and Clank will probably bomb too.
Sony hase so many franchises to revive that could be potential good sellers with modern mechanics and smart reboot. Maybe heh :D
Colony Wars, Ghosthunter, Syphon Filter, The Getaway, Drakan, Champions of Norrath...

Gartooth

Sony hase so many franchises to revive that could be potential good sellers with modern mechanics and smart reboot. Maybe heh :D
Colony Wars, Ghosthunter, Syphon Filter, The Getaway, Drakan, Champions of Norrath...

None of those series have nowhere near the popularity of Crash Bandicoot. The IP alone would probably generate interest in a revival.

Slime

Banned
I'm thinking of that as well.

If you search "Spyro" only the first Skylanders game (which is an Activision game) appears, no one of the Sierra games appear:

http://www.activision.com/search?cc=US;i=1;q=spyro

Crash: Mind over Mutant was the last Crash game, and was a Sierra game, so that's why it isn't listed. It seems that no Sierra games are there, only the Activision ones. Not even Starcraft or Warcraft are there:

Oh, and the Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon website is also down. Like Crash, it was a Sierra game published in 2008. The error it's giving is the same.
http://lair.spyrothedragon.com/

Well, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, nothing has actually been "removed" from the Activision website. Many titles just don't show up in search, especially ones released around the time of the last Crash game.

The only relevant thing, then, is the fact that the Crash site is down, but given that the Spyro one is as well, something is probably just happening with the servers housing those older websites.

In short, Boyes asks shinobi to ask directly from Activition:

5Wku0N7.png

And when asked Activition:

VFTXt6U.jpg
My tweet wasn't addressed to anybody, but Adam decided to chime in with that anyway. Three dots indicate anxiousness?

Adam...indirectly...wanted me to ask Activision...as semi-confirmation? That's...

issR4pNR2obi2.gif

Crash games are still best selling NaughtyDog games... Yes they sold more than on average per title than even Uncharted.

None of those series have nowhere near the popularity of Crash Bandicoot. The IP alone would probably generate interest in a revival.

Yeah, I know, but interest =/= sales.
HD platformers don't sell. Even kart games.
Rayman Legends and Sega Racing both sold better on WiiU. And "nothing" sell on WiiU :eek:
You can't sell a platformer to a typical mainstream buyier anymore on Sony consoles (and microsoft, of course), they are too expensive to reach a broad audience interested in platformers.
I hope I'm wrong :D

dit:
Crash games are still best selling NaughtyDog games... Yes they sold more than on average per title than even Uncharted.

Yup! In nineties, can you see the difference? :D
Also, after Naughty Dog era the brand lost momentum, kids probably won't even know who Crash is. And the mainstream people who were kids in late nineties probably don't buy platformers anymore. You aren't sure that it will replicate Crash Bandicoot 1-2-3 success. PS4 will never have the same audience that PSX had.
Right now, a Third person shooter on PS4 is more easy to sell that a platformer.
Reviving and old franchise is a risk, I know. Twisted Metal pretty failed on PS3, so it's difficult. And it was regarded as an "hardcore" franchise.

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't get it why Sony should ever care about Crash, Activision milked the franchise dry since ND stopped making games. I honestly think it would be a lot better if Sony made a new platformer and a mascot that can go H2H against Mario

If Activision refused to comment but Boyes said they still own the IP then what's going on? I suppose Activision do still own it on a technicality and are in the process of selling it but the deal hasn't gone through yet.
Boyes ended his tweet with the classic "..." and Activision said "No comment." What if the negotiations are still going on? As in, Activision still owns the IP at this very moment, but are currently working out a deal to sell it to Sony?

Ok I can't decide if I'm fucking with you or not but what is Sanzaru Games doing?
Confirmed to be working on an unnanounced PS4 exclusive.

wrowa

Vivendi merged with activision

Activision just bought themselves independent from Vivendi. It might actually be the case that for some reason or another Crash was the IP from Vivendi proper and was never transferred to Activision. It would explain why Activision can't use it anymore and also why Boyes would still refer to it as Activision's IP (after all, why would he know or care who the IP owns?).

Jonboy

My tweet wasn't addressed to anybody, but Adam decided to chime in with that anyway. Three dots indicate anxiousness?

Adam...indirectly...wanted me to ask Activision...as semi-confirmation? That's...

issR4pNR2obi2.gif
Did anyone post the other shot yet where you showed him the GAF thread and then he replied with a sad face?

Activision just bought themselves independent from Vivendi. It might actually be the case that for some reason or another Crash was the IP from Vivendi proper and was never transferred to Activision. It would explain why Activision can't use it anymore and also why Boyes would still refer to it as Activision's IP (after all, why would he know or care who the IP owns?).

Considering its a beloved franchise closely associated with the playstation brand he should fucking care. He should be inquiring if Sony can get it back it would make big financial success for them.

Caronte

Makes sense.

Keyouta

I think Sony has it back, they just don't want to say. Weird that Adam replied to Shinobi even though the tweet wasn't directed to him though.

If that were the case then other Vivendi Games IPs would stay with Vivendi, like Spyro, Diablo, Warcraft, etc. So no, I don't think that's a possibility.

KoopaTheCasual

teaser at GGX

trailer at E3 2014

It's best to forget about Crash for now. Hypothetically, even if they managed to get the IP back, we didn't find out through them, we found out through snooping around. This could mean that any revival is a full year/2years out, and still in the planning phase. Don't get your hopes up for anything soon. Just try not to think about it.

Jay Sosa

Crash is great for PS1, PSP, GB, DS.

Do people actually think it could successfully evolve into a next gen game? I think it would suck.

Next gen? You mean QTEs, shooting and explosions everywhere? Why would I want that?

Gimme something like Crash 1 in HD and I'm good.

Damaniel

Banned
HNNNNNNNNG!

A rumoured Parappa game using the Tearaway engine, Crash back in the arms of Sony. All I need now is a Jumping Flash! revival and my jaw will be dislodged by my spontaneous erection.

If Sony gives me a new Jumping Flash!, I'll just give them direct access to my bank account and let them take whatever they want. ;)

cchum

Crash is a furry and better version of Kevin Butler

Eh, screw this one game stuff. Bring back all PS1 games. Battle Area Toshinden, Destruction Durby, Loaded, Crash, Parappa.......I want all that shit

Didn't realize there were so many Crash fans...

Is there? I don't think most of the people in this thread are Crash fans, I think they're former Crash fans. If it turned out that Activision were rebooting Crash, I'd bet everyone would go back to not caring about it because no-one trusts Activision to return it to its former glory (whereas they do trust Sony).

Top Bottom