• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 9-10th Primary/Caucus Thread (Obama = Weekend Sweep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
"Barack! What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

59/41 @ 80% reporting, Hillary needs 85/15 lead on the next 20% to tie.

I think we can call it
emot-obama.gif

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
the biggest unknown is how far the Clintons will go to win this nomination. the proportional split give them enough of a lifeline to see this contest through to the convention (assuming that Obama keeps it close or, unlikely, wins Ohio and/or Texas) and i wouldn't put it past them to attempt a coup and 'steal' the nomination by pressuring the DNC/superdelegates.

how vast is the Clinton Machine? how much loyalty does it engender?
what will Dean's influence be on the proceedings?
what will happen to Florida and Michigan?
how many superdelegates will vote their 'conscience' (Clinton camp's word) and potentially against the public tide?

Amir0x

Banned
scorcho said:
what will happen to Florida and Michigan?

the only question right now that genuinely frightens me. I'm a little anxious about Ohio/PA/Texas, but I really want to know what's going to happen here.

If they decide to run caucuses, OBAMANATION. If they don't and demand to be seated, Clintons will fight for them and maybe they'll split by popular vote - basically delegates will be dished out evenly between the two, so it'll be fine and no problem.

But there's a third scary option that is not good!

So I guess we can put the "Obama doesn't perform well in predominantly white, working class states" stereotype to rest. I'm starting to worry about Ohio now

Amir0x

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
So I guess we can put the "Obama doesn't perform well in predominantly white, working class states" stereotype to rest. I'm starting to worry about Ohio now

Donate to Hillary!

Eric WK

RiskyChris said:
If the superdelegates go against the public opinion, the Democratic party will be destroyed.

Which is why it won't happen. If Obama has a firm lead in elected delegates, the superdelegates will fall in line. I'd like to think they aren't stupid enough to piss of a majority of the party's members.

RiskyChris said:
If the superdelegates go against the public opinion, the Democratic party will be destroyed.

Yup!

Obama's momentum is stronger then ever right now....Hillary is going to be dangerously close to Rudy Guiliani Florida type lack of momentum by the time we reach Ohio and Texas....All Obama needs is one and this may be all she wrote.

Eric WK said:
Which is why it won't happen. If Obama has a firm lead in elected delegates, the superdelegates will fall in line. I'd like to think they aren't stupid enough to piss of a majority of the party's members.

Precisely. I've parroted that line dozens of times to mouth breathers citing superdelegates as Hillary's advantage. There's NO conceivable way that they will decide this race. There's too much on the line.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
RiskyChris said:
they're designed to be a check against the popular vote. they're fulfilling their intended purpose if that were to happen.

that's why caution should be shown. Clinton already seems to have a sizable superdelegate lead and has an established team picking apart the rest of the list to gain more.

Is anyone feeling just a tiny little bit sorry for Hillary, you know, kinda like the main character in Clockwork Orange when he is getting tortured?

Cheebs

Eric WK said:
They have in the past. Humphry did not win a single primary but party insiders picked him anyway. Robert Kennedy (before his death after his huge California win) and McCarthy won nearly every primary. And there were riots as a result.

Amir0x

Banned
Instigator said:
Is anyone feeling just a tiny little bit sorry for Hillary, you know, kinda like the main character in Clockwork Orange when he is getting tortured?

no after all the shit she has pulled this election cycle I'm just fine with how she is being handled

it's not over but i am going to be pretty satisfied if she loses

pxleyes

Banned
Instigator said:
What is there to be sorry for? The better candidate is on the rise.

Tobor

Instigator said:

I want a Democratic President, so no.

Eric WK

Cheebs said:
They have in the past. Humphry did not win a single primary but party insiders picked him anyway. Robert Kennedy (before his death after his huge California win) and McCarthy won nearly every primary. And there were riots as a result.

And there would be riots again. It would bring the party to its knees and leave Obama's young Democratic support disillusioned to the point that they'll skip the general.

The bottom line is that if Obama wins the elected delegates and Clinton receives the nomination because of superdelegates, the person being inaugurated in January will be John McCain.

Tamanon

Banned
Eric WK said:
And there would be riots again. It would bring the party to its knees and leave Obama's young Democratic support disillusioned to the point that they'll skip the general.

The bottom line is that if Obama wins the elected delegates and Clinton receives the nomination because of superdelegates, the person being inaugurated in January will be John McCain.

Yeah, there would be huge riots. Not only would it be going against the people, it would also be a gigantic racial divide.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Instigator said:

A little. She devoted years of her life to become President only to be defeated by a young upstart

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Solid weekend for Obama
No no no. NO.

After all your BS, I want pictures of you eating your own poop. Not "solid weekend for Obama" when he swept her ass by double digits in every contest and is poised to do the same on Tuesday.

tralfazz

Eric WK said:

I think it would go farther than that. You'd be talking about a couple generations of voters being disenfranchised for a couple of generations.

Tobor

grandjedi6 said:
A little. She devoted years of her life to become President only to be defeated by a young upstart

Yeah, Obama just woke up one morning last year and decided he felt like running. /roll eyes

Eric WK

Triumph said:
No no no. NO.

After all your BS, I want pictures of you eating your own poop. Not "solid weekend for Obama" when he swept her ass by double digits in every contest and is poised to do the same on Tuesday.

:lol

Eric WK said:

THIS.

especially after the firestorm that was the aftermath of the Gore/Bush election, where Gore won the popular vote but lost on technicalities, there is NO WAY that the party brass wants to be the ones to do that in their own party.

Even THINKING about it would open the GOP up to attack hillary in ways the DNC does not want. "She couldnt even win the support of the voters in her own party..why does she deserve yours?"

grandjedi6 said:

You get what you get....I'm glad her ego is being shattered right now, I hate the cronyism and hereditary politics of this country.....your marraige to a president doesn't mean shit to me!

pxleyes said:
What is there to be sorry for? The better candidate is on the rise.

Grandjedi seems to know what I mean.

Everything she's worked for through the years, all the planning, the meticulous scheming to culminate to this growing public embarassment.

Bear in mind, this wouldn't make me support her, but I can recognize that she's worked and endured a lot to get where she is now. Most of it is just personal ambition rather than just selfless public service, I know, that's why I'm emphasizing feeling just a little sorry for her.

Juice

Instigator said:
Grandjedi seems to know what I mean.

Everything she's worked for through the years, all the planning, the meticulous scheming to culminate to this growing public embarassment.

Bear in mind, this wouldn't make me support her, but I can recognize that she's worked and endured a lot to get where she is now. Most of it is just personal ambition rather than just selfless public service, I know, that's why I'm emphasizing feeling just a little sorry for her.

She hasn't lost yet, and I'd still say her various political machinery puts her in the lead as of today. But if she were to lose...

When someone with as much hubris and selfishness as Hillary Clinton watches her glorious sand castle get washed away by a sea of genuine enthusiasm to make the world a better place.

I've wanted to see this woman be humiliated for years. The fact it can be a positive force like Obama to do it is just too delicious to tear my eyes away.

Juice said:
She hasn't lost yet, and I'd still say her various political machinery puts her in the lead as of today. But if she were to lose...

When someone with as much hubris and selfishness as Hillary Clinton watches her glorious sand castle get washed away by a sea of genuine enthusiasm to make the world a better place.

I've wanted to see this woman be humiliated for years. The fact it can be a positive force like Obama to do it is just too delicious to tear my eyes away.

you are not alone, and this is one of the reasons why I feel Texas will go a lot worse for her than she expects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom