• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 9-10th Primary/Caucus Thread (Obama = Weekend Sweep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIG O BIG O ! !
BigObama.jpg

Cast In The Name Of God... Ye Not Guilty

As soon as Edwards dropped out I was all Obama. Time to seal the deal with an avatar.

Juice

GenericPseudonym said:
As much as I'd like Barack to win the nomination I don't think he'll win Texas, Ohio or Pennsylvania. Hopefully, I'll be surprised.

Obama Defense Force... ASSEMBLE!

TEXAS!
ninj4junpei said:
If Obama doesn't win Texas, I'll be very upset. >:|

OHIO!

Juice said:
Ohio is no more in Clinton's bag than Maine was. Only thing she has going for her there is the fact it's a primary state, but even that could well be overcome by the amount of time and momentum Obama will have leading up to it.

PENNSYLVANIA!

Manmademan said:
I will personally deliver Pennsylvania for Obama. Bank on it! :lol

I was amazed that the three replies came in a row.

AmishNazi

Banned
Alcander said:
Did you guys see this? http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/10/politics/main3813759.shtml says Obamas up in delegates including supers...
In the delegate chase, Obama has pulled ahead of Clinton, even when the support of uncommitted super delegates is figured in. According to CBS News estimates, Obama holds a razor-thin lead with 1,134 delegates overall to 1,131 for Clinton.

Wooot hopefully it's true, CBS is decent news wise though. I really wish they had a cable news channel. *looks at google*

if superdelegates can change their mind at any time, why are they always included in the totals? Hasn't Obama technically had the pledged delegate lead for a while now? It seems like the superdelegate total should be less emphasized at this point in the race.

So I think I've decided if Obama doesn't get the nomination, because I live in Denver, I will do my best to start some riots when the convention rolls around, you know, for old time's sake.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
soul creator said:
if superdelegates can change their mind at any time, why are they always included in the totals? Hasn't Obama technically had the pledged delegate lead for a while now? It seems like the superdelegate total should be less emphasized at this point in the race.

Because if the race ended today Hillary would win. Even if they can change their mind, so can some of the pledged delegates too technically since they are estimated. You can't ignore the power of Superdelegates when calculating the delegate counts, especially in a race this close where it is impossible to meet the threshold without superdelegates

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Easytoremember said:
So I think I've decided if Obama doesn't get the nomination, because I live in Denver, I will do my best to start some riots when the convention rolls around, you know, for old time's sake.

Thats the spirit! ; P

deadbeef

grandjedi6 said:
Because if the race ended today Hillary would win. Even if they can change their mind, so can some of the pledged delegates too technically since they are estimated. You can't ignore the power of Superdelegates when calculating the delegate counts, especially in a race this close where it is impossible to meet the threshold without superdelegates

Yes if they roll into the convention with no majority, all bets are off, and Hillary would have the upperhand actually, with all her Washington connnections and what not.

I say all bets are off because who knows what sort of wheeling and dealing would be going on. It would be absolutely insane, bad for the country, and devastating for the Democratic party.

grandjedi6

Yeah, those CBS numbers are pretty much crap. Of all the media and neutral calculations, CBS gives Hillary the lowest amount of superdelegates by a pretty big margin. Meanwhile they have one of the higher Obama counts. Actually, their Hillary superdelegates are actually lower than the official endorsements that DCW tracks.

gcubed

Dice Man said:
Yes if they roll into the convention with no majority, all bets are off, and Hillary would have the upperhand actually, with all her Washington connnections and what not.

I say all bets are off because who knows what sort of wheeling and dealing would be going on. It would be absolutely insane, bad for the country, and devastating for the Democratic party.

BFT, and i hope they know it.

Kusagari

Dice Man said:

So the superdelegates would pretty much hand the election to McCain? If Hillary wins because of superdelegates, a wide majority of Obama's supporters probably won't vote at all and as you said the democratic party will be in chaos. I don't see why they'd completely fuck over their own party for years just because of their connections to Hillary.

Triumph

Banned
Kusagari said:
So the superdelegates would pretty much hand the election to McCain? If Hillary wins because of superdelegates, a wide majority of Obama's supporters probably won't vote at all and as you said the democratic party will be in chaos. I don't see why they'd completely fuck over their own party for years just because of their connections to Hillary.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the Democratic Party. Although I'm hoping those days are over.

grandjedi6

Hitokage said:
Of course, you must realize that superdelegates have their own jobs to worry about.

Obama and Hillary are about even in elected democratic officials who are superdelegates. However Hillary's lead comes from DNC members who don't have to fear the public voting them out

courtesy of DCW said:
............Gov...Sen...Rep..DPL...DNC...Total

Clinton......10....12....75...10...111...218

Obama........10.....9....57....2....46...124

No Endorse...11....27....89....8...244...379

Total........31....48...221...20...401...721

Dice Man said:

If they go to the convention with no majority and Obama leading, then the SDs will side with him lest they destroy the democratic party.

Washingtonian for Obama

emot-obama.gif

I had serious doubts about his chances after NH, but Obama conquers all.

Let's show these superdelegates who we want to be the next president!

I'm going to write the DNC and let them know that if they nominate Hillary with superdelegates over a popular vote for Obama that I am switching to unaffiliated and NOT voting for Clinton.

grandjedi6 said:
Obama and Hillary are about even in elected democratic officials who are superdelegates. However Hillary's lead comes from DNC members who don't have to fear the public voting them out

It's easier to read using code, =D
Code:

deadbeef

Mermandala said:
I'm going to write the DNC and let them know that if they nominate Hillary with superdelegates over a popular vote for Obama that I am switching to unaffiliated and NOT voting for Clinton.

You'd probably be better off contacting your local superdelegate.

mj1108

Here's the Windows Media Player URL to see Obama in Virgina Beach (on right now) without CNN.COM's player:

rtsp://a94.l3760650661.c37606.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/94/37606/v0001/reflector:50661

grandjedi6

RiskyChris said:
It's easier to read using code, =D
Code:

vBulletin has a
Code:
 option?!

Juice

grandjedi6 said:

It's not unexpected, because as the establishment candidate, she has a lot of DNC members either working for or closely associated with her campaign. Those who are probably already committed to her publicly. Therefore, I doubt she'll see a disproportionate rush of other DNC supers to follow her.

What's more likely is that the remaining ones will do whatever's best for the party (i.e. not rigging the election)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom