• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 19th Primary/Caucus Thread (OBAMA wins so does McCain but really..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty cool post about Obama's time as a University of Chicago Law prof:

Since we'll be speaking at the University of Chicago very soon, we thought it would be topical to share with you the interesting responses we received to our earlier request for stories about presidential candidate Barack Obama as a U. Chicago law prof.

The general consensus: he's awesome, as beloved in the classroom as he is on the campaign trail. Several raves appeared in the comments, and we also received some via email. First, from Professor D. Daniel Sokol (who also blogs, at the Antitrust & Competition Policy Blog):

"I had Obama as a prof when I was at the University of Chicago for a seminar on race and the law. His title of Senior Lecturer is one that only a few people hold-- the others are Richard Posner, Frank Easterbrook and Diane Wood -- all former Chicago full time faculty members now on the 7th Circuit.

Obama was an amazing professor and in many ways, I wish I could be as effective in the classroom as he was. He engaged students in the material and showed great skill at eliciting good student comments and managing class discussion. Obama also integrated in social science empirical literature into our discussions to better inform some of the normative discussions that we had. I thought he managed intellectual diversity very well, as we had a spectrum of students from libertarians and conservatives on one hand to radicals on the other."

From a different tipster:

"I had Barack in a seminar titled "Current Issues in Race and Law" in the winter of 04, one of the last classes he taught. He was thoughtful, engaging, and liked to doodle while listening to student presentations (always paying attention though, judging by the questions that he would ask at the conclusion of the presentation). He was good enough as a professor that students stuck around 30-40 minutes even though he would sometimes be late as he was running for in the senate primary at the same time. I'm looking forward to campaigning for him in Texas....."
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2008/02/obama_as_law_professor.php#more

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Why is this man so damn cool? He plays basketball for peets sake.

Those pics are great.

Tamanon

Banned
Loudninja said:
According to Hillary is 44 he lied about quiting.... :lol

Well according to them, February was a bad month for him:p

Besides, you can't go back to your habit without SOMEONE from the media noticing.

soul creator said:
Obama visits UT-Austin

Obama%202008-3.jpg

Must be quoted again and again.

And again and again.

And again.

Loudninja said:
According to Hillary is 44 he lied about quiting.... :lol

I like the BSG parallel...

ever watch Battlestar Galactica? I mean when your not reading Geeklove of course.

The parallels with Laura Roslin election is amazing. She was the favored candidate, inevitable even, with no opposition. Suddenly a young upstart, who was not qualified for the office at all, Dr. Guis Baltar decides to run based on nothing more than his audacity. He runs a campaign that dismisses the issues- appeals to Hope, religion, feeling good again. He barely wins. There is even a little election rigging going on but that gets found out. Baltar ends up in office not knowing what to do or how to do it. The Cylons quickly take over the fledgling human colony he is trying run and turn him into a puppet for their evil ways.

The show is written and directed in Canada. I think they know something we dont.

www.scifi.com/battlestar/about/show/

But…. in the end, President Rosalin sticks to her principles and is returned to power and saves the humans!

Zeed

Banned
Schattenjagger said:
what will become of GAF if he loses the general?
TOTAL GAF MELTDOWN?
One thing at a time. You gotta admit though, right now McCain looks pretty damn beatable.

Cooter said:
Not for a QB.
Well I suppose nothing is impossible for Obama.

mrmyth

Instigator said:
I like the BSG parallel...

WTF are these 'people' thinking? Obama is going to betray us to a bunch of robots we haven't even created yet?

Here's another gem -

People respond to parental archetypes. When we are voting for a President we are essentially voting for a parental figure for the country. Nothing beats the “cool black Dad” .. who WOULDN’T want that for a parent for the country? Except. The pull toward Mother is the strongest pull their is. Hillary is on the wrong foot now because she comes across as “pushy, limiting Mother” she needs to be “cool Mom”. She needs to be the coolest Mom anyone’s ever heard of. More comedy, (put her on some talk shows now, Dave’s top ten list, SNL, whatever!) surrounded by more hip factor people, where is Coldplay? Get them! And speaking in a new, candid, frank way.

Everything she needs is inside of her, and she’s got it .. way more than Obama. Can’t stop now. Let’s keep these ideas coming and direct them to Hill herself. Go!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LORD LET HILL TRY TO BE COOL. PLEASE?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Zeed said:
Well I suppose nothing is impossible for Obama.

I'll never bet against him after the ass kicking he's put on Hillary. Maybe he can replace Smith on the 9'ers. We need him. Get on it Nolan.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MY LOVE OF OBAMA AND UT FOOTBALL HAVE CROSSED PATHS.. OMG OBAMARAMA OVERLOAD.

Has anyone seen him and VY in the same room, maybe they are the same person?

Also, I need avatars. Please. I'll love you forever.

Tamanon

Banned
mrmyth said:
WTF are these 'people' thinking? Obama is going to betray us to a bunch of robots we haven't even created yet?

Here's another gem -

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LORD LET HILL TRY TO BE COOL. PLEASE?

This actually brings up something I was thinking of. When will we finally get a President that has rap as his entrance music?

Imagine an Obama rally. Before taking the stage, the lights dim, Kanye West's "Stronger" starts up and BOOM!

mrmyth

Do ya think Kanye would let Obama get away with using his music without getting a cabinet position out of it? Do ya really want that?

Tamanon

Banned
v1cious said:
not just gaf. after the last 2 elections, you can expect statewide riots. i'm being serious.

Nah, not riots if he loses the general fair and square. People only riot when they feel their voices have been taken from them.

v1cious

Banned
Tamanon said:
Nah, not riots if he loses the general fair and square. People only riot when they feel their voices have been taken from them.

i don't know man. people were already on edge after the whole debacle in 2000, and they accepted that Kerry wouldn't win, but if people think they got cheated out of a black resident for another rich old white guy? i know Obama's message is about equality, but that would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tamanon said:
This actually brings up something I was thinking of. When will we finally get a President that has rap as his entrance music?

Imagine an Obama rally. Before taking the stage, the lights dim, Kanye West's "Stronger" starts up and BOOM!

Does not compute.

Maybe if you said Lupe Fiasco [also a Chi-Town rapper], then you'd have a case. Or Twista from pre-2000.

Amir0x

Banned
Unless Obama calls Hillary a slut live at the debate or something, or there is a secret scandal uncovered involving him molesting small children I think these polls show:

*waves at Hillary*

reilo

Sharp said:
Yeah, we U. Chicago students fucking love Obama. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the campus, Republicans included, were for him.

He went to University of Chicago? Geez. My physics teacher went there - he always said the school was tough as nails and an extremely difficult program. If the law program is anything like the physics one, then that's impressive. It's no school for slouches.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Amir0x said:
Unless Obama calls Hillary a slut live at the debate or something, or there is a secret scandal uncovered involving him molesting small children I think these polls show:

*waves at Hillary*

Basically agree. Obama just needs to run out the clock at this point.

reilo

schuelma said:
Basically agree. Obama just needs to run out the clock at this point.

He's just taking a kneel right now.

Zeed said:
He taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago.

He graduated from Harvard Law School after earning a bachelors at Columbia.

That's still impressive! :lol

Sharp

reilo said:
He went to University of Chicago? Geez. My physics teacher went there - he always said the school was tough as nails and an extremely difficult program. If the law program is anything like the physics one, then that's impressive. It's no school for slouches.
Haha, no, he taught here. I think he went to Harvard.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
reilo said:
He went to University of Chicago? Geez. My physics teacher went there - he always said the school was tough as nails and extremely difficult program. If the law program is anything like the physics one, then that's impressive. It's no school for slouches.

The law program is one of the top 6 in the country, and actually a huge center of conservative legal thought (though obviously the school has people of all stripes). Scalia taught there, Stevens lectured there, etc., among many more of the country's absolute elite jurists--Easterbrook, Posner, Lessig, etc. fwiw, of course, Obama lectured at U of C but attended Harvard Law.

mrmyth

If she ever got fucking real she'd drop out. 'Real' and her are long since divorced.

Her new tact is trying to appeal to the common worker, talking about the working the night shift and all that bullshit. But the unions are supporting Obama. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom